Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:46 am 

2012 is nearing its end and 2013 will soon be upon us. While 2012 may still have worthwhile albums in store for us I for one have begun to get excited for next year's albums. The first rumours of upcoming albums have been around for some time already, and some bands already have albums titles, artwork, track lists and release dates up.
So! What albums or metal-related events are you looking forward to in the coming year 2013?

For me I'm looking really forward to new Defeated Sanity album. I listened to them some years ago, but I forgot about them until quite recently when I dug up Psalms of the Moribund and Chapters of Repugnance, and I had totally forgotten how god damn awesome those albums are. I'm looking very much forward to one of Germany's heaviest bands to return with new material.
Devourment resently uploaded a video regarding their upcoming album, which I'm guessing will be just as sweet as Unleash the Carnivore.
I also think I read somewhere that Bloodbath, Satyricon, Entombed and Summoning are all working on new material. Regarding Bloodbath I don't know if this is for real, and if so who they'll employ as lead singer.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 am 

The new Suffocation, Defeated Sanity, Warlord, Incantation, Manilla Road, lots of stuff to be honest. Those are a few I can think of offhand, sorry for my lack of clarity at the moment.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:17 am 

Yeah Defeated Sanity for sure, the new Wormed and I think there's going to be a new Cephalotripsy

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:32 am 

I'm really looking forward to the next Kalmah release. They said they will start recording the album in january, and the album is going to be released around spring. So far they have done nothing wrong, so I'm almost certain this is going to slay. :-D Omnium Gatherum is also working on some new stuff, should be good.

Thrasher4life
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:36 am 

New Scythe! First album was a perfect throwback to the Usurper days, second will be amazing too!

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:42 am 

There isn't much on my radar for the new year, that's already been confirmed, right now it would only be Voivod, Cult of Luna, Kalmah, Mithras, and the new Twilight album. I'll probably check out the new Fen as well, even though "Epoch" was forgettable.

Then there are those bands that wanted to put out a new album years ago and haven't done so yet, like Gorguts, Grabnebelfürsten, Lykathé and T/M/K (aka Thee Maldoror Kollective)

Hoping for new stuff from Code, Disillusion, Hollenthon, Intestine Baalism, Path of Golconda, Forgotten Sunrise, Madder Mortem, Aarni and !T.O.O.H.!

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:07 pm 

Really looking forward to a new Hail of Bullets, Darkthrone, and a new Atlantean Kodex - Don't really have expectations just yet, but that's the three names which come to mind thus far.

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:08 pm 

Looking forward to new albums from:

* Aborym
* Autopsy
* Belphegor
* Cephalic Carnage (Hopefully)
* Decrepit Birth
* Exhumed
* Mastodon (Hopefully)
* Slayer?
* Sodom
* Suffocation
* Triptykon? (would be niice)
* Wormed

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:19 pm 

I'm definitely very interested to hear what the new Entombed will sound like! Another band which is putting out a new album next year is Convulse. They released some samples from their up-coming 7" and the stuff sounds absolutely awesome and fucking evil. I also can't wait to hear King Diamond's new album (which he is apparently working on), and the new Deicide (Glen has said that the melodic sound of the past three albums is over with Santolla gone).

I'd also love to hear a new Obituary album, but who knows when that will come to pass? I expect a massive improvement with Santolla no longer ruining their sound with his terrible solos.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:23 pm 

There's a lot of albums I'm looking forward to (Belphegor, Autopsy, Voivod ect.), but the two I'm looking forward to the most are Time II and the new Avantasia.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:26 pm 

6Xul66 wrote:
Looking forward to new albums from:

* Aborym

Awesome to hear Aborym is coming out with a new album. I actually enjoyed Psychogrotesque quite a lot, contrary to it's mixed reception.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:39 pm 

Mayhem, Darkthrone and Autopsy for me. Three of my favourite bands, so it should be a good year.

Now if only Bolt Thrower and Carpathian Forest would spit out albums...

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:40 pm 

any news on what Moonsorrow will be doing? I can only assume they'll be putting something out either next year or the year after...

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:43 pm 

So far, Helloween's Straight Out Of Hell is the first thing that comes to mind. I may also need to put the new albums by Cathedral and Electric Wizard on this category since it looks like they won't be out by the end of 2012.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:47 pm 

enigmatech wrote:
(...)and the new Deicide (Glen has said that the melodic sound of the past three albums is over with Santolla gone).

I'd also love to hear a new Obituary album, but who knows when that will come to pass? I expect a massive improvement with Santolla no longer ruining their sound with his terrible solos.

Santolla and his solos were literally the only interesting things Deicide had left...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:48 pm 

Certainly new Voivod, Autopsy and (probably) Alice in Chains are my main concerns. Especially new Alice in Chains, considering how great Black Gives Way to Blue was.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:49 pm 

Carcass have a new album almost done, so that will be worth checking out.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:01 pm 

New Warlord for one, I love Night of the Fury, though that's only in it's embryonic form. Bill Tsamis says it sounds a lot different/better now. Also looking forward to new Sabbath. It'll be interesting to hear what it'll be.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:14 pm 

I've got quite a few to look forward to next year. Aside from Autopsy, Darkthrone, Mayhem, and Exhumed working on new material, I'll be looking forward to new ones from Arsis, Beyond Creation, and Eternal Oath, one of my favorite melodic death metal bands when I was first getting into metal. I believe Immolation is working on new stuff as well, aren't they?

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:20 pm 

Ahh, I love when it's this time of year and we get to make threads about this. Personally the next QOTSA release is what I'm looking forward to the most. Other than that, the next Sabbath album. I know people are expecting a pile of shit, but Tony and Geezer have still proven to us that they're riff monsters, and there's not way that Ozzy will fuck this entire thing up. I'm expecting doom bliss.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:32 pm 

Awblaster wrote:

If it's more of that god aweful melodic death metal I won't be checking it out.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:38 pm 

The actually disc of the new rings of saturn is released in 2013

Wintersun- Time 2

Arsis
Exivious
Beyond Creation
Enfold Darkness (if it doesn't get released this year)

Decrepit Birth (hopefully)
Obscura (hopefully)
Necrophagist (maybe one day?!?)
Behemoth (if the court chooses to go lightly on Nergal, hopefully)

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:50 pm 

Alcest has a new record due in 2013, which is being recorded in Iceland at Sigur Ros' studio and is said to be abandoning metal elements altogether. The latter is fine with me as, I've always thought that most of the BM elements were the weakest elements in their overall sound. But the former has me excited at the thought of a whole new dimension to their sound as well as the thought of any potential Alcest/Sigur Ros collaboration (although nothing is confirmed at this time).
Obliteration

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
enigmatech wrote:
(...)and the new Deicide (Glen has said that the melodic sound of the past three albums is over with Santolla gone).

Santolla and his solos were literally the only interesting things Deicide had left...

This, definitely. The Stench of Redemption was such a huge, refreshing breath of fresh air for the band for that specific reason. Then of course the next two albums were boring, faceless blurs so I'm more inclined to believe it was just a late-career fluke. Deicide blows my mind because they have four legitimately great albums (Self Titled, Legion, Serpents of the Light, and Stench of Redemption) and then like twice as many awful ones, accompanied by excuses like "I made them terrible on purpose because I hate my record label and I'm apparently a kindergartener trapped in a hobo's body". So basically I listen to every new Deicide album just on the off chance they fluke into a good record again.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:05 pm 

Possibly a new Evil Army if they can get their shit together. New Autopsy. That's about it for me.

I'd be super stoked if The Moistboyz came out with a new album since Ween broke up, they're extremely evil and nasty meth rock with Dean Ween on guitar who can play circles around any hokey ass stoner rock band.

I'd like Obliteration to do something new, new Sabbat (jpn) I would buy without question.

Other than that unless a band is doing something innovative, I already have their good albums. I'm curious about new Carcass but I'm a first two albums and demo kind of guy.

I'm hard to please I guess but I have enough mediocre CDs that collect dust.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:14 pm 

This thread has reminded me of lots of releases, and a few I didn't even know about. I was under the impression that Carcass were not going to make a new album. Source?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:39 pm 

New albums from Thorns and Dawn (Swe).

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:51 pm 

Ozenrol wrote:
Dawn (Swe).

:O really?!

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:52 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Alcest has a new record due in 2013, which is being recorded in Iceland at Sigur Ros' studio and is said to be abandoning metal elements altogether. The latter is fine with me as, I've always thought that most of the BM elements were the weakest elements in their overall sound. But the former has me excited at the thought of a whole new dimension to their sound as well as the thought of any potential Alcest/Sigur Ros collaboration (although nothing is confirmed at this time).

Have you seen Alcest live? I'm seeing them when they warm up for Katatonia this Thursday, but I have no idea what to expect and I'm not very well acquainted with their music, and I sort of fear it'll be a painfully boring as when I saw Dornenreich a few years back.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:53 pm 

Zerberus wrote:
Awblaster wrote:

If it's more of that god aweful melodic death metal I won't be checking it out.

Michael Amott has left the band, so you probably won't have to worry. I'm not sure what it will turn out to sound like, though. I'd imagine it will be more in the vein of "Swansong".

BastardHead wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:

This, definitely. The Stench of Redemption was such a huge, refreshing breath of fresh air for the band for that specific reason. Then of course the next two albums were boring, faceless blurs so I'm more inclined to believe it was just a late-career fluke. Deicide blows my mind because they have four legitimately great albums (Self Titled, Legion, Serpents of the Light, and Stench of Redemption) and then like twice as many awful ones, accompanied by excuses like "I made them terrible on purpose because I hate my record label and I'm apparently a kindergartener trapped in a hobo's body". So basically I listen to every new Deicide album just on the off chance they fluke into a good record again.

I like all the albums of Deicide (especially the ones that everyone seems to hate, like "In Torment in Hell"), but I cannot stand listening to his solos. The dumbass "neo-classical" vibe he tries to put in sounds over-blown and cheesy with Deicide and simply offensive with Obituary. Some of his stuff on "Stench..." was passable, but after I heard what he did to Obituary, I have a hard time respecting even that, :lol:. I would rather just put on "Once Upon the Cross" or "Legion" in my CD player than listen to what he has done with the band in recent years. I'm really interested to hear what Kevin will do with them.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:54 pm 

A new Augury album is one of my most anticipated releases for 2013. Especially with the original lineup back together. Also agreed and can't wait for new Defeated Sanity, Beyond Creation, Hour of Penance EP, Gorguts, Wormed, Suffocation, and Devin Townsend (Ziltoid 2).

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:13 pm 

I hope there's a new Origin too.

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:16 pm 

luxul wrote:
A new Augury album is one of my most anticipated releases for 2013. Especially with the original lineup back together. Also agreed and can't wait for new Defeated Sanity, Beyond Creation, Hour of Penance EP, Gorguts, Wormed, Suffocation, and Devin Townsend (Ziltoid 2).

Oh fuck, Augury is one of my favourite bands! Both Fragmentary Evidence and Concealed are absolute killer albums, so I'm definitely looking forward to new material from them too.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:20 pm 

Definitely looking forward to new Wormed and Defeated Sanity. There are quite a few more as well, but those are the two big ones that I can think of now.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:22 pm 

Ozenrol wrote:
New albums from Thorns and Dawn (Swe).

I had no idea Dawn was working on a new album... This post is the only one that caught my eye in this thread. 2013's shaping up to look pretty sad at this point, but a new Dawn album might tide me over for a couple weeks if it's anything like Slaughtersun.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:26 pm 

Fuck so many I have noticed (and forgot). Straight of the top of the head, Coldworld and Sombres Forets. The debut album from Feigd should be awesome too if the demos are anything to go by, Windir worship done right. Sleipnir (uk) should be a quality release in an epc Bathoryvway if the previous album is anything to go by. More to follow....

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:32 pm 

Personally looking forward to the new Amorphis & Hypocrisy records.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:44 pm 

There's a lot that's already been mentioned that I'm interested in, such as Avantasia, Kalmah, Hypocrisy, Amorphis, Sabbath, Slayer and Satyricon.

I'm hoping the new Children of Bodom album will be a pleasant surprise. RRF wasn't a brilliant album, but it was a step up from the awful Blooddrunk. I'm also interested to see how Masterplan get on without Jorn on vocals. I'm banking on the new Triosphere being a winner too.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:45 pm 

Some that haven't been mentioned yet that I'm aware of...

Dark Tranquillity
Omnium Gatherum
Noumena
MyGrain
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Demigod (working on new material, not quite sure if it'll see the light of day during 2013)

EDIT: Hi catfish :P

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:51 pm 

I think I've heard rumors of a new Immolation album coming out next year so that's definitely my most anticipated release for the moment. I'm also still waiting for that new Gorguts album, seems to me it won't be out till the end of this year.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next