Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:59 pm 

Sorry for so many recent threads, but I have had several rounds of questions to discuss, and I felt that this one was the most important.

In real life, this went poorly- 2 out of 37 people I asked said that heavy metal is "Very Popular." But there was a catch- most people I asked were either- hipsters, tweens, gangstas, emos, or weren't part of any real music/life scene. Maybe two metal heads, and they were pessimistic (i.e. not part of the 'Very Popular' group). Such a pisspoor result meant I had to ask a "few" more people.

Interesting to note- the 12 answers that, overall, said "Somewhat Popular", the bands they mentioned are only arguably metal. Korn, Limp Bizkit, Avenged Sevenfold... An Iron Maiden here, a Metallica there... But somehow, Green Day and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus got lumped with them. How, I don't care.

For my last thread of the day- do you think Heavy Metal is...

-Very Popular

-Popular

-Somewhat Popular

-Not Very Popular

-Unpopular

-Very Unpopular

Mainly according to listeners, sales, mainstream attention, and general knowledge.

[Something else odd- of those that knew of metal, they all claimed that traditional heavy metal is about to or should make a comeback, and that if that happened, heavy metal would be more popular overall....
And also, some didn't want heavy metal to be popular. They said that "If a freaking popster tween came to a metal show and didn't even know how to headbang like what happened with Metallica in the '90s, I'll kill everyone on the whole goddamn Earth." That, or they thought heavy metal was disgusting and scary and stupid.]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.