Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:55 pm 

Chris Barnes has done some funny things over the years.. especially that interview where he smokes a joint and has a hilarious laugh about it, hehe.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:13 am 

caspian wrote:
Cattle Decap's new album was ok, better than I expected. 6/10? I've always thought their pro animal rights/pro vegan thing is possibly the lamest lyrical content you can have. Annoying fan base. Chris Barnes is a douche and SFU are really average. Thus concludes my insightful analysis of the situation.

Cheers casp, I was sitting here with bated breath waiting for you to post, cheers bro. :beer: :love: :hail:

Anyway, If anyone really had any doubt left in minds that Barnsey is a huge cunt this little altercation will surely remove it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:30 am 

Travis's story does seem a lot more believable. Chris has a huge ego and not much talent to back it up. Besides a few songs, those early Cannibal Corpse albums don't really do anything for me. I'd take the Harvest Floor over anything CC has ever done.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:43 am 

satanscurse wrote:

Examples of good bands:
Bolt Thrower, Entombed, Obituary,

Hehe, no.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am 

satanscurse wrote:
Don't worry, I won't listen to them. but I would find it easier to find new good music, if other people would join in and actually push the good ones forward rather than just pick up whatever bullshit they can find. For example bands that get attention from fighting, having silly bandnames, using gimmicks like vegetarianism etc. rather than making music.

Examples of good bands:
Morbid Angel, Deicide, Bolt Thrower, Unleashed, Entombed, Pestilence, Autopsy, The Crown, Luciferion, Obituary,
Verminous, Massacre and Macabre are all examples of bands that have released good music.

Thanks for this marvelous insight about what you consider good. This is really not the topic of this thread and I suggest that you guys ignore his post.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:08 am 

caspian wrote:
Cattle Decap's new album was ok, better than I expected. 6/10? I've always thought their pro animal rights/pro vegan thing is possibly the lamest lyrical content you can have. Annoying fan base. Chris Barnes is a douche and SFU are really average. Thus concludes my insightful analysis of the situation.

Veganism is indeed a lame lyrical theme, but I think christianity takes the cake.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:46 am 

Everyone knows that two of the guys are vegans, but really: where in the lyrics do you find any such theme? No really, I can't find them spelled out. Point me to a couple of songs.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:57 pm 

I find their lyrical themes to be mainly concerned with misanthropy and anti-humanism more than anything else. I fail to see how that's very different than a lot of other metal themes, some band members just happen to be into animal rights.

Also, Chris Barnes is a notorious dick. No surprise.

Grapist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:33 am 

Always loved the whole environmental/animal rights theme: lot's of content you can pull from for brutal lyricism.

Funny how no one's picked up on the fact that Travis smokes bud as well, yet doesn't make an complete ass out of himself.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:43 am 

matras wrote:

And a big THANK YOU satanscurse, that we can listen to music you don't consider good. I've always been worried about that, but now I can rest easy.

:lol:

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 am 

Grapist wrote:
Always loved the whole environmental/animal rights theme: lot's of content you can pull from for brutal lyricism.

Funny how no one's picked up on the fact that Travis smokes bud as well, yet doesn't make an complete ass out of himself.

And he doesn't smoke ludicrous amounts like Barnes, either.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:13 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
Grapist wrote:

And he doesn't smoke ludicrous amounts like Barnes, either.

Then that cracks the case! The ganja is to blame!

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:44 am 

I've hung around enough stoners in my time to know that when you habitually smoke shitloads of weed, you WILL become a whole lot less interesting while steadily becoming more and more of a dick and all-around loser. There's a reason why Bill Robinson seriously cut down on his weed usage.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 pm 

Regarding Cattle's lyrical themes, I like that on Monolith they moved away from animal liberation and environmentalism in favor of straight up nihilism and misanthropy. I'm not a fan of animal liberationists and extreme environmentalists and that's probably why I don't listen to much Cattle beyond Monolith. That and their albums before Monolith never really interested me.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:22 pm 

A lot of it does still have to do with the environment, just more in the vein of "we're killing the planet bit by bit and no one even gives a fuck".

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 pm 

Still, it's more subtle than the way they would use it on past albums where at times it'd just read like an angry Facebook post. Here they've implemented it more into the subject of total misanthropy wherein killing the planet slowly is just one facet of humanity's suckage.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:28 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
I've hung around enough stoners in my time to know that when you habitually smoke shitloads of weed, you WILL become a whole lot less interesting while steadily becoming more and more of a dick and all-around loser. There's a reason why Bill Robinson seriously cut down on his weed usage.

Frank, I'm a big fan of your posts as you seem to have a lot of friends in the industry and always have good gossip. However, you might want to check name dropping Bill Robinson in your posts like he is a metal paradigm or something...besides Decrepit Birth sucks.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:16 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:

Frank, I'm a big fan of your posts as you seem to have a lot of friends in the industry and always have good gossip. However, you might want to check name dropping Bill Robinson in your posts like he is a metal paradigm or something...besides Decrepit Birth sucks.

You do realize that a lot of people know he's cut down on his weed usage, right? Kinda thought it was semi-common knowledge. Also, the stories he told about Mike Smith and the two Malevolent Creation bozos kinda stick with you.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4