Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LiberXul
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:16 pm
Posts: 55
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:55 pm 
 

Chris Barnes has done some funny things over the years.. especially that interview where he smokes a joint and has a hilarious laugh about it, hehe.

Top
 Profile  
I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:11 pm
Posts: 1645
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:13 am 
 

caspian wrote:
Cattle Decap's new album was ok, better than I expected. 6/10? I've always thought their pro animal rights/pro vegan thing is possibly the lamest lyrical content you can have. Annoying fan base. Chris Barnes is a douche and SFU are really average. Thus concludes my insightful analysis of the situation.


Cheers casp, I was sitting here with bated breath waiting for you to post, cheers bro. :beer: :love: :hail:

Anyway, If anyone really had any doubt left in minds that Barnsey is a huge cunt this little altercation will surely remove it.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/I_am_Vengeance

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3499
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:30 am 
 

Travis's story does seem a lot more believable. Chris has a huge ego and not much talent to back it up. Besides a few songs, those early Cannibal Corpse albums don't really do anything for me. I'd take the Harvest Floor over anything CC has ever done.
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
Veracs
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:43 am 
 

satanscurse wrote:

Examples of good bands:
Bolt Thrower, Entombed, Obituary,


Hehe, no.
_________________
Malignanthrone wrote:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8609
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am 
 

satanscurse wrote:
Don't worry, I won't listen to them. but I would find it easier to find new good music, if other people would join in and actually push the good ones forward rather than just pick up whatever bullshit they can find. For example bands that get attention from fighting, having silly bandnames, using gimmicks like vegetarianism etc. rather than making music.

Examples of good bands:
Morbid Angel, Deicide, Bolt Thrower, Unleashed, Entombed, Pestilence, Autopsy, The Crown, Luciferion, Obituary,
Verminous, Massacre and Macabre are all examples of bands that have released good music.

Thanks for this marvelous insight about what you consider good. This is really not the topic of this thread and I suggest that you guys ignore his post.
_________________
Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6376
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:08 am 
 

caspian wrote:
Cattle Decap's new album was ok, better than I expected. 6/10? I've always thought their pro animal rights/pro vegan thing is possibly the lamest lyrical content you can have. Annoying fan base. Chris Barnes is a douche and SFU are really average. Thus concludes my insightful analysis of the situation.

Veganism is indeed a lame lyrical theme, but I think christianity takes the cake.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
matras
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:01 am
Posts: 870
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:46 am 
 

Everyone knows that two of the guys are vegans, but really: where in the lyrics do you find any such theme? No really, I can't find them spelled out. Point me to a couple of songs.

Top
 Profile  
SladeCraven
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 1:51 pm
Posts: 390
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:57 pm 
 

I find their lyrical themes to be mainly concerned with misanthropy and anti-humanism more than anything else. I fail to see how that's very different than a lot of other metal themes, some band members just happen to be into animal rights.

Also, Chris Barnes is a notorious dick. No surprise.
_________________
Kruel wrote:
Not really. Plasma sounds like a toilet, but their music doesn't take me on a magical journey to a toilet.

Top
 Profile  
Grapist
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:50 pm
Posts: 108
Location: Ozarks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:33 am 
 

Always loved the whole environmental/animal rights theme: lot's of content you can pull from for brutal lyricism.

Funny how no one's picked up on the fact that Travis smokes bud as well, yet doesn't make an complete ass out of himself.
_________________
"TOO SMOOTH, HE SAYS!" Colin Jones

Top
 Profile  
Riffs
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:48 am
Posts: 880
Location: Montréal, Québec
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:43 am 
 

matras wrote:

And a big THANK YOU satanscurse, that we can listen to music you don't consider good. I've always been worried about that, but now I can rest easy.


:lol:
_________________
mjollnir wrote:
Noble Beast's debut album is way beyond MOST of what Priest did in the 80s.

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 247
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 am 
 

Grapist wrote:
Always loved the whole environmental/animal rights theme: lot's of content you can pull from for brutal lyricism.

Funny how no one's picked up on the fact that Travis smokes bud as well, yet doesn't make an complete ass out of himself.


And he doesn't smoke ludicrous amounts like Barnes, either.

Top
 Profile  
MARSDUDE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:17 pm
Posts: 1666
Location: Canardia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:13 am 
 

Frank Booth wrote:
Grapist wrote:
Always loved the whole environmental/animal rights theme: lot's of content you can pull from for brutal lyricism.

Funny how no one's picked up on the fact that Travis smokes bud as well, yet doesn't make an complete ass out of himself.


And he doesn't smoke ludicrous amounts like Barnes, either.


Then that cracks the case! The ganja is to blame!

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 247
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:44 am 
 

I've hung around enough stoners in my time to know that when you habitually smoke shitloads of weed, you WILL become a whole lot less interesting while steadily becoming more and more of a dick and all-around loser. There's a reason why Bill Robinson seriously cut down on his weed usage.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 5798
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 pm 
 

Regarding Cattle's lyrical themes, I like that on Monolith they moved away from animal liberation and environmentalism in favor of straight up nihilism and misanthropy. I'm not a fan of animal liberationists and extreme environmentalists and that's probably why I don't listen to much Cattle beyond Monolith. That and their albums before Monolith never really interested me.
_________________
YouTube
Facebook
Sorrowseed Melodic Extreme Metal
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 247
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:22 pm 
 

A lot of it does still have to do with the environment, just more in the vein of "we're killing the planet bit by bit and no one even gives a fuck".

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 5798
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 pm 
 

Still, it's more subtle than the way they would use it on past albums where at times it'd just read like an angry Facebook post. Here they've implemented it more into the subject of total misanthropy wherein killing the planet slowly is just one facet of humanity's suckage.
_________________
YouTube
Facebook
Sorrowseed Melodic Extreme Metal
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:55 am
Posts: 179
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:28 pm 
 

Frank Booth wrote:
I've hung around enough stoners in my time to know that when you habitually smoke shitloads of weed, you WILL become a whole lot less interesting while steadily becoming more and more of a dick and all-around loser. There's a reason why Bill Robinson seriously cut down on his weed usage.


Frank, I'm a big fan of your posts as you seem to have a lot of friends in the industry and always have good gossip. However, you might want to check name dropping Bill Robinson in your posts like he is a metal paradigm or something...besides Decrepit Birth sucks.

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 247
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:16 pm 
 

FJ Receptor wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:
I've hung around enough stoners in my time to know that when you habitually smoke shitloads of weed, you WILL become a whole lot less interesting while steadily becoming more and more of a dick and all-around loser. There's a reason why Bill Robinson seriously cut down on his weed usage.


Frank, I'm a big fan of your posts as you seem to have a lot of friends in the industry and always have good gossip. However, you might want to check name dropping Bill Robinson in your posts like he is a metal paradigm or something...besides Decrepit Birth sucks.


You do realize that a lot of people know he's cut down on his weed usage, right? Kinda thought it was semi-common knowledge. Also, the stories he told about Mike Smith and the two Malevolent Creation bozos kinda stick with you.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alsandair, ChineseDownhill, Empyreal, Goatfangs and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group