Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Worthless_Dream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:14 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sa ... ows/403961

I didn't find anything official yet, but TheStormIRide added it so I assume he has a credible source.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:34 pm 

He probably got a promo copy of the album or something. I can't find anything on the Sargeist facebook page.

Worthless_Dream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:48 pm 

I also found nothing regarding it on the band's or label's facebook/home pages.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:48 pm 

They mentioned the album title back on Jan 4 (on FB), that's the only thing I see. Had no idea this was coming. Cannot wait to hear it.

Worthless_Dream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:06 pm 

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing it, Let the Devil In was very good but Disciples of the Heinous Path is probably still my favourite.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:46 pm 

I got a promo copy today. The album is pretty good, from what I remember from Let the Devil In, Feeding the Crawling Shadows is more raw and less of a catchy fest. It doesn't seem to be as good either but hard to say after one listen.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Veld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:42 pm 

I was drinking with Marko at a bar after their show at Messe Des Morts fest in Montreal this past year and he was telling me they were just going back to work for a bit and messing around with some ideas they had. He wouldn't elaborate further. But this shall be good looking at what has led up to it.
Veld looks exactly how I picture Canadian terrorists - big gun, big beard, but an oddly friendly demeanor that suggests "I would very much like to blow something up, but I don't know who to ask about it".

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:15 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I got a promo copy today. The album is pretty good, from what I remember from Let the Devil In, Feeding the Crawling Shadows is more raw and less of a catchy fest. It doesn't seem to be as good either but hard to say after one listen.

Part of me is disappointed to hear that, but Let The Devil In is a tough fucking act to follow. Plus they really pushed the whole "triumphant/uplifting" black metal thing there about as far as it could go without becoming gimmicky, as evidenced by the Lair of Necromancy EP - too upbeat for its own good, whereas LTDI had just the right balance. Still quite excited to see how the new one turns out.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:08 pm 

YUMMY YUM.

I love Sargeist - one of my favorites and ridiculously influential on me - so, naturally, I'm stoked. Let the Devil In was delicious, and while I share the Gnu's concerns, I am almost blindly excited.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:10 pm 

http://www.stereogum.com/1668209/sargei ... iere/mp3s/

A new song, "The Shunned Angel".

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:31 pm 

This shit is good, love the deeper vocals in it. Perhaps not as poppy as Let The Devil in but not as raw as their older stuff. A good middle ground.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:51 pm 

Sounds cool. Pretty sure others will also dig this track. It's got that trademark "graceful" melody of Let the Devil In but with an additional layer of rawness. Or is that just a layer of noise? It sounded something like that and it's definitely not clean. I hope there is more variety in the album though.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:41 pm 

Yeah, that "layer of noise" effect sort of worries me, as it's my least favorite style of lo-fi black metal production. It reminds me of IC Rex's first album, something rendered almost unlistenable because of what sounds like 6 feet of fuzzed out distortion between the listener and the speaker. This is obviously not that extreme, plus it's Sargeist so I can deal, but I prefer the sound of any of their previous releases.

I should add that I'm weirdly picky about my black metal production. Of Darkthrone's three "major" bm albums, I love the sound of both Transilvanian Hunger and A Blaze... but hate that of Under a Funeral Moon, different though the three of them are from each other.

Worthless_Dream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:50 pm 

The song was very good but the production is much more raw than their earlier albums, feels like everything is on top of one another and the cymbals are loud as fuck.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:06 pm 

This production is basically what Horna sounded like live with slightly more clarity. I can dig it. As for the song, pretty decent but nothing amazing.
Edit: did I say decent? I meant AWESOME.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:31 pm 

This new song is fantastic. I actually like a bit of raw production in black metal. Not absurdly fuzzy (though that's good sometimes) but not sterile and soulless. It's rewarding to get past superficial "noise" and appreciate the brilliance that lies beneath.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:05 pm 

It's not raw compared to Satanic Black Devotion. It's not lo-fi either. I think it's a good medium between SBD and LTDI, I know some people will be "happy" that it's not so "happy" haha. Someone hook me up with the promo!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:57 pm 

This song was...ok. The mix was a bit messy and unclear, which sucks considering how non-lo-fi (hi-fi just seems like the wrong term to use, heh) it is. Could also be that the riffs were mostly kind of indecisive about whether they wanted to be playing something meant to get your blood flowing, like LtDI, or something more akin to their earlier work but more atmospheric and less direct. The second half of the song was good, though, and the whole thing might work really well in the context of the album.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:23 am 

Great song, the melodies aren't as blatant as on the previous one which is fine by me, maybe the album will be a happy medium between Let the Devil In and their first two. Good to see the Watainisms are being restricted to Behexen for now. The sound isn't a problem for me, I have no objection to the amount of rawness and fuzz in the song. Seems like he is trying to say or achieve something that needs that sort of expression, as opposed to the more easygoing mix on the previous one. As another poster mentioned, I agree it isn't as extreme as the sound on that IC Rex album which basically prohibits listening to the record on headphones (still a great piece of music though).

Also, very nice concept with the cover.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:29 am 

It sounds like Sargeist.

Personally I believe the band has exhausted the possibilities offered by the style of their previous album (as shown by the amount of very similar sounding songs). I see this as an improvement, as it's darker and more obscure sounding. I'm getting slight vibes from Horna's Sanojesi Äärelle, which is one of the best black metal albums ever made in my opinion, so that's not a bad thing.

I didn't get the impression of it being indecisive-sounding. It sounds good to me - better than Sarkrista, for example :D.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:56 am 

Just noticed this one on my bookmarked band... was a real shock, wasn't expecting anything new from Sargeist. Now only a few weeks to wait, fuck yeah!

Sure this will be awesome, Sargeist is my favourite of all Shatraug's creations... love the cover art too, maybe his best yet.

New full-lengths due soon from Drowning The Light & Satanic Warmaster too... what a fuckin' year!

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:06 am 

Yeah it looks like I'll enjoy it more than Let the Devil In, which was very good too.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:29 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
It sounds like Sargeist.

Personally I believe the band has exhausted the possibilities offered by the style of their previous album (as shown by the amount of very similar sounding songs). I see this as an improvement, as it's darker and more obscure sounding. I'm getting slight vibes from Horna's Sanojesi Äärelle, which is one of the best black metal albums ever made in my opinion, so that's not a bad thing.

I didn't get the impression of it being indecisive-sounding. It sounds good to me - better than Sarkrista, for example :D.

Damn your stubbornness! I will say that I've heard a few new Sarkrista songs and they are killer compared to the first album in terms of riffage and production. But anyway yeah, I like the direction this Sargeist album is taking. I also don't get this indecisive sound or "fuzziness" that other people are speaking of. I'm glad it came out of nowhere so I don't have to wait months. What a nice surprise

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:04 am 

Reading it back over, my comment does sound pretty critical/negative, but I like Sargeist a whole fuckin' lot so an "ok" song by them is pretty great in the grand scheme of things and whatever quibbles I have about the track certainly aren't going to stop me from getting the new album and, much more likely than not, enjoying it a whole lot.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:05 pm 

The more I listen to this, the more stoked I get for the end of the month. This (hopefully) comes out a week after I can legally drink in this shitty country, I'm gonna pre-order this and get a nice bottle of red wine and just listen to these beautiful, agonizing melodies. The Shunned Angel gives off a pretty strong Satanic Black Devotion vibe with me, which is every bit as good as Let the Devil in as far as I'm concerned.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:15 pm 

I've heard the whole album a few times, and I have to say it's not nearly as good as Let the Devil In. However, it is still Sargeist and they did deliver an enjoyable black metal album. This one seems like a middle ground between the catchier approach they did for LTDI and their older material. My one complaint would be that the riffs/melodies aren't as immediately memorable as they have been in the past. They do use the lower vocal approach fairly often, which I really dig. Certainly not a must-listen in their discography, but if you're a fan I don't see how you couldn't like this to some degree.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:12 pm 

New song released - 'Feeding the crawling shadows'
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2014/03 ... g-shadows/

There's a full album stream on youtube too. Might get taken down soon though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG-0BRn36Mc

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:32 am 

This is such great news. I got into the Finnish black metal scene later last year and Shatraug's creations quickly became my favourites. I'm more of a Horna man, myself, but like most of Shatraug's projects, they all tend to have a very simple, workman like enjoyable nature to them. This album certainly won't break any barriers, but it will certainly be an excersise in catchy, morose and obscure black metal. So far, pretty impressed with the display from what I've heard on YT, can't wait to give this album more time.

Really digging those lower vocals too.

EDIT: So gave this a few spins. Definitely a great record, probably like it more than Horna's last release. Like others said, though: it's not nearly as immediately catchy as Let The Devil In. That being said, it's still really catchy and listenable with that signature Shatraug sound. I really like the thrashy parts, although they've always excelled at those. Like I said before, the lower vocals are a nice touch, too, since both Sargeist and Horna are traditionally pretty shrieky bands. While I do like the fuzzy production, I will agree that it's a bit too messy, the levels are off a bit I think and stuff tends to bleed a bit more than it should, in my opinion. But overall, I'm pretty happy with the album: another solid and very listenable release from Shatraug and the gang. Will people be blown away by it? Is it smashing genre conventions? No, but it does what it does well, which is exactly what we've come to expect from these finnish bands.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:03 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
I've heard the whole album a few times, and I have to say it's not nearly as good as Let the Devil In. However, it is still Sargeist and they did deliver an enjoyable black metal album. This one seems like a middle ground between the catchier approach they did for LTDI and their older material. My one complaint would be that the riffs/melodies aren't as immediately memorable as they have been in the past. They do use the lower vocal approach fairly often, which I really dig. Certainly not a must-listen in their discography, but if you're a fan I don't see how you couldn't like this to some degree.

You know I read this post before hearing the album and thought nothing of it really... but after a few listens, I'd regretfully say you got it spot on... It is Sargeist tho so I'm not giving up on it just yet, will persist in hope of it growing on me!

Reply to topic