Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:51 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Goatwhore, on the other hand, simply makes me picture a farm animal dressed like a hooker.

Reminded me of this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qVQcwnuBfU :lol:

Way for the guy in the video to get trolled hardcore. XD

JobCorver
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:19 pm 

██████
According to their page on the MA this band has no name, and this solid bar is used instead.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%E2%96%88%E2%96%88%E2%96%88%E2%96%88%E2%96%88%E2%96%88/3540358943

CatFlatulence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:10 pm 

Rainbow??

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:41 pm 

CatFlatulence wrote:
Rainbow??

Considering what the band plays/played, that's a great name. Besides, rainbows are awesome.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:30 pm 

JobCorver wrote:
██████
According to their page on the MA this band has no name, and this solid bar is used instead.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%E2%96%88%E2%96%88%E2%96%88%E2%96%88%E2%96%88%E2%96%88/3540358943

Oh come the fuck on, that's like the sixth time they've been mentioned in this thread now. :durr:

Via_Nocturna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:56 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Lullacry. They're a very solid gothic metal group with some great material, but...but...fucking hell, man!

Sounds like a mock/spoof name to me.

Via_Nocturna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:59 am 

TheLiberation wrote:
For me it's all those wannabe-brutal names, in the vast majority of cases brutal death metal or grindcore. Don't have any good examples right now, but I've seen plenty of band names appear on the main page with all sorts of "brutal vomit", "disembowelment" and stuff like that... It's kind of beyond me how can that be taken seriously on any level. Even ridiculous names like Goatpenis are better.

Also, I've seen the band Destroyer 666 appear here a lot early on. Why? The name is a bit funny and over the top, but it's seriously metal as fuck (if I listened to them I'd totally get a T-shirt right away).

I gotta say I agree with this post. Most grind bands fall into this trap (with the exception of Napalm Death, which is a cool name).

despotband
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:08 pm 

I read this thread and had many good laughs, so I decided to contribute.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Intellectual_Moment/11031
This band has a small recorded output but was very active in the scene, doing shows in several towns. I'm not trash-talking the band, but their name is nothing short of awful:

~Guest 293828
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:59 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 293828 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:01 pm 

Catamenia seems like the sort of name that sounds pretty cool until you actually learn what it means.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:39 am 

remote wrote:
Catamenia... it means menstruation. i cannot figure out why the fuck they would name their band this and keep it for so long.

whoa,I was happier before knowing this,until the moment I read this Catamenia was just "a scandinavian word whose meaning I don't know,but it sounds cool".

I really have had fun reading this thread,I've laughed a lot with some of the names you've said.I guess that some of that bands with totally absurd names has chosen a deliberately ridiculous name in order to be funny,and in that case they have clearly succeded.That deliverately funny/absurd names are not very common in metal but you can find tons of them in punk,I think that also some grindcore bands choose names trying to sound "brutal,gory,obscene,disgusting,etc." but at the same time "funny,absurd or not very serious" and that's the case of some bands that have been mentioned.

In my case,since I'm not english speaker,some band names seem good to me because they phoneticly sound well,but if I take some time to think about their meaning I find that they're awfull.I also find so ridicoulus that kind of badns "trying to hard to be something" you've mentioned (death metal bands trying to hard to be violent/gory,black metal bands trying to be evil/satanic,doom or gothic metal bands trying to be sad/melancholic,etc.)

Band names that I find kind of ridiculous:
Asesino,is the spanish word for "murderer",too generic.By the way,Slayer,is one of those names that sounds phoneticly well,but if I think about the meaning is kind of bad.
Helloween
Gamma Ray,another case of phoneticly well-ridiculous meaning
Dark Funeral,trying to hard to be evil/dark
Death,too generic
Megadeth,that "deth" instead of "death" is kind of ridiculous,also if "megadeath" was not a military term it would sound like "oooh,men,you're so evil,aren't you?"
Anal Cunt,seems a name made by a kid,an obvious case "trying too hard to be obscene,disgusting" resulting in a name with no sense.
Strapping Young Lad,wtf?
Pig Destroyer,I didn't know that the "pig" was a reference to cops (I could have figured it out,but I guess that I've never taken the time to think about it) until I read it in this thread,but anyway,I can't help thinking about the other kind of pigs whenever I listen this name.
Iron Batasuna,(http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Iron_Batasuna/3540288411)it's a grindcore band,their name is a combination of "Iron Maiden" and "Herri Batasuna" (a polemic Basque nationalist political party,that was ilegalized due to being related with a terrorist group),the name is obviously deliverately funny and absurd,if you live in the basque country and you are familiar with the polemic that exist with that political party you will find this name very funny.I heard that there's also another band called PNV Noise Terror (PNV (another Basque nationalist political party)+Extreme Noise Terror),but I haven't found any recording or information about them so I'm not sure if they really exist.

Ceald Hraew wrote:
Make a Change... Kill yourself.

I didn't konw them until I read this thread,but I found this name really funny,I love it :lol:

Last edited by Dr_Prozac on Sun May 05, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goreguttz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:07 pm 

Asking Alexandria, Of Mice and Men, Memphis Mayfire, Dillinger Escape Plan ... Pretty much every gay band that thinks they're heavy.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:00 pm 

Goreguttz wrote:
Asking Alexandria, Of Mice and Men, Memphis Mayfire, Dillinger Escape Plan ... Pretty much every gay band that thinks they're heavy.

I agree one of those bands are STRYCHNIA

:lol: :lol: :thumbsdown: :ah-ha: :wanker:

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:11 pm 

Dr_Prozac wrote:
Death,too generic

To me, that's not generic at all. I love the simplicity of it, that's the kind of name a death metal band SHOULD have. Other examples are Obituary, Grave, Dismember, Autopsy, and Benediction. These are all awesome names, in my opinion. Especially Grave and Obituary.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:20 pm 

enigmatech wrote:
Dr_Prozac wrote:
Death,too generic

To me, that's not generic at all. I love the simplicity of it, that's the kind of name a death metal band SHOULD have. Other examples are Obituary, Grave, Dismember, Autopsy, and Benediction. These are all awesome names, in my opinion. Especially Grave and Obituary.

I like all the names that you've mentioned,but Death doesn't sound good to me,maybe is because as well as being a short and simple name is also the name of the genre they play.I supose that,since there can be considered one of the bands that created death metal,they couldn't bear that in mind when they chose the name,but nowadays "Death" doesn't sound good to me for a name of a death metal band.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:43 pm 

enigmatech wrote:
Dr_Prozac wrote:
Death,too generic

I agree. They are the kind of obvious, classic names. It would simply be wrong if there weren't bands by those names.

Destruction is one of my favourite band names of all, and it doesn't get much simpler than that. Perhaps it's a little generic, but I like it.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:46 pm 

I can't help but feel that band names such as Death, Destruction, Venom and such should be exempt from being called "generic", mostly due to the fact that they were the ones who came up with the whole "single, dark substantive as a name" thing.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:10 am 

I wonder why Death changed their name from Mantas. Has anyone from the band ever explained it?

Zaku77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:01 am 

Between the Buried and Me. Their name rubs me almost as wrong as their music does... :3

espinafri
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:58 am 

I don´t like when i´m not sure how to pronounce.

Yngwie Malmsteen and Eluveitie comes to mind

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:36 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I wonder why Death changed their name from Mantas. Has anyone from the band ever explained it?

Yeah, Chuck did. He fell out with Lee and Rozz, and the band dissolved. He made amends with them both a few weeks later, and they reformed as Death. He didn't actually wanna use Lee and Rozz, but he was still a kid, and couldn't find anyone else.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

espinafri
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:27 pm 

Liquid Tension Experiment

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:14 pm 

espinafri wrote:

Yngwie Malmsteen and Eluveitie comes to mind

Ing-vey Jay Mahlm-steen

El-vay-tie

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:18 pm 

Subrick wrote:
El-vay-tie

I very much doubt this. It's more likely pronounced like the 'die' in 'epicardiectomy', except with t.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:11 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
'epicardiectomy'

:love:

... Ahem. :oh shit:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:17 pm 

x} huh huh .. huh huh .. diphthong.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:

Yeah, Chuck did. He fell out with Lee and Rozz, and the band dissolved. He made amends with them both a few weeks later, and they reformed as Death. He didn't actually wanna use Lee and Rozz, but he was still a kid, and couldn't find anyone else.

Yeah, that's pretty much the story of my life...

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Catamenia seems like the sort of name that sounds pretty cool until you actually learn what it means.

and that's pretty much what happened to the band (they didn't know until a fan told them IIRC) :V

caligulasremains
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:52 pm 

and yet they still keep the name... even when their sound changed drastically.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:36 am 

caligulasremains wrote:

Did it, really? Wasn't Catamenia always incredibly melodic, cheesy black metal? Sure, it became less and less black over the years, but wasn't the "progression" quite gradual (and expected)?

Catamortal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:42 am 

I have never heard music from the bands I am going to tell you about but their names are just ridiculous.

A cat born in an oven isn't a cake

Hey look lettuce!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:51 am 

Matt from DDR was posting about a demo he got in the mail. The band plays generic stoner rock and they are called EASY BAKE OVEN

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:12 am 

Quote:
Eager for a cool-sounding metal band name, Blackie Lawless, Rik Fox, Randy Piper and Tony Richards decided to take the word "wasp," then for no reason punctuate the shit out of it.

Why it's ridiculous: When not naming themselves after animals, insects, or something misspelled, metal bands love acronyms. However, unlike KISS (which at least purportedly means "Knights In Satan's Service")

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_15118_th ... z2Sc0fLt1c

What a well researched article.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:17 am 

KISS doesn't stand for anything. The "Knights in Satan's Service" is just one of those bullshit backronyms made up during the Satanic Panic, sort of like the whole "Antichrist Devil's Children" thing for AC/DC.

Zaku77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:57 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
caligulasremains wrote:

Did it, really? Wasn't Catamenia always incredibly melodic, cheesy black metal? Sure, it became less and less black over the years, but wasn't the "progression" quite gradual (and expected)?

Yes, that is fair to a point. They've just dropped most of their black metal sound. A shift from melodic black metal to what is borderline power metal is still a big change, though.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:44 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/band/view/id/21439
I'm sure this could also go in the worst bands thread as well.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 pm 

Subrick wrote:
espinafri wrote:
Yngwie Malmsteen ...

Ing-vey Jay Mahlm-steen

I'm not sure anyone knows how to pronounce this. His real name is (was) Yngve Malmsten. I don't quite see how throwing in that w and the double ee makes it any easier for anyone.

SisuBerserk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:02 am 

Opus wrote:
Subrick wrote:
Ing-vey Jay Mahlm-steen

I'm not sure anyone knows how to pronounce this. His real name is (was) Yngve Malmsten. I don't quite see how throwing in that w and the double ee makes it any easier for anyone.

"Yngwie Johann Malmsteen (/ˈɪŋveɪ ˈmɑːlmstiːn/ ing-vay mahlm-steen; born Lars Johann Yngve Lannerbäck on 30 June 1963)"

First line of his Wikipedia article. Malmsteen wasn't his but his mother's original last name.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:31 am 

Dude is so pretentious that even his name reeks of an inflated sense of self worth. :P

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MorbidPentagram
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:32 am 

Spoiler: show
fuckoff all metalcore, deathcore, transcore, mathcore, groove metal, melodeath, later mid-90s brutal dm, slam brutal, glam, melodic metal, modern dm or modern tech dm, false metal pose like thrash, mostly second(like raw, pagan black later mid-90s)/third wave(like depressive, suicide, atmospheric black) black that many use fucking shit tremolo riff and pose of doom metal(create mid-90s north europe), poser who call 'hardcore(like earth crisis, hatebreed, etc) or metalcore is metal' and meshuggah.....

Last edited by Zodijackyl on Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't do that.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next