Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:31 pm 

So the album's out. I just listened to it for the first time and I quite like it. It's much better than Ov Hell and actually I even like it more than the last Gorgoroth. Love the quirky moments with weird instruments and a prog feeling. And Gaahls vocals are fucking awesome. So what do you guys think?

Last edited by Oddeye on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:56 pm 

Same boring formula Gaahl and King were using when they destroyed Gorgoroth. Granted, it's a little more interesting, but I just think in general they're awful musicians. Infernus had it right from the beginning.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:56 pm 

Not that I can make a complete judgment without hearing the entire album, but based on the first two tracks I can say that if you disliked what King and Gaahl did with the last two Gorgoroth albums they performed on, then you'll dislike this. Easy as that. I personally am loving this continuation of that. There's a zest to it that Ov Hell severely lacked. There is definitely more use of keys, as well.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:08 am 

I am anxious to hear this album. I like the 70's keyboard vibe used within the music.
Sounds like a continuation of where Ad Majorem left off, but a whole new sound.

I didn't think Gaahl was doing vocals when I heard the tracks. He sound way different.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:12 am 

VampireofTheNazereth wrote:
I am anxious to hear this album. I like the 70's keyboard vibe used within the music.
Sounds like a continuation of where Ad Majorem left off, but a whole new sound.

I didn't think Gaahl was doing vocals when I heard the tracks. He sound way different.

Yeah man the keys do emulate that synthy '70s sound at times. Songs like "From the Running of Blood" and "Lit" sound similar (especially the latter) to "Sign of an Open Eye" (the former with a slightly faster tempo). Overall, I mean if you enjoyed the King and Gaahl dominated Gorgoroth albums then this one will be an enjoyable release. Expect industrial vibes, primarily on the final track "Bloodline" - this song is basically electronic fiddling.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:11 am 

Just curious, does King actually compose the guitar parts on "his" albums? He's always listed as playing the bass for the album but the guitar playing style always sounds like it's the same guy playing it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:24 am 

I like what I hear, there's a cool Enslaved influence throughout the record. The song Alt Liv has a very clear and cool bass presence. Don't be afraid, it's not Ov Hell. Listen to this.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:58 am 

I just listened to Alt Liv.
It totally sounds like Rammstein.
Interesting.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:17 am 

VampireofTheNazereth wrote:
I just listened to Alt Liv.
It totally sounds like Rammstein.
Interesting.

Ha, I was gonna say the same thing.

This album might need a little digestion on my part. I admit I haven't listened to a Gorgoroth album since Twilight of the Idols, and while the guitars on I Begin for the most part seem not to be doing anything vastly different from that, almost every song on here has a "whoa wait what" moment -- usually thanks to the Uriah Heep/Hawkwind (Heepwind?) keys, which I've just learned are played by a dude from Apoptygma Berzerk. Weird.

And I'm digging some of the clean vocal work. Gaahl indeed sounds vastly different.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:12 am 

I've listened to I Begin a couple more times and I'm really starting to like this album. The industrial and 70's synth influences really help to diversify this album from other BM-releases. My favorite song so far is Awake. It's a perfect opener.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:53 am 

I have very small expectations, but I plan on checking it out regardless. Only Infernus's Gorgoroth was any good.

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:16 am 

I've never listened to Gorgoroth and I enjoyed Gaahl's folk album, so I'm pretty open to this.

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:43 am 

the american god wrote:
I've never listened to Gorgoroth

You should probably do so at your earliest convenience. At least give "Pentagram" and "Under the Sign of Hell" a shot.

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:44 am 

I might.

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:03 am 

I really enjoy this album so far.

It's vastly superior to anything Infernus has done after the Gorgoroth fiasco and of course beats the crap out of that Ov Hell abomination.

Electronic and 70s influences actually don't sound out of place and the music itself is quite dynamic and diverse.

I didn't intend to, but I am most definitely buying this.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:34 am 

I don't like it too much but it feels a little more 'artistic' than Ov Hell was. Gaahl's vocals have changed significantly and I'm not sure if it's for the better.

Better than TOTI, AMSG and Ov Hell? sure, better than Quantos? no chance in hell.

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:54 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
I don't like it too much but it feels a little more 'artistic' than Ov Hell was. Gaahl's vocals have changed significantly and I'm not sure if it's for the better.

Better than TOTI, AMSG and Ov Hell? sure, better than Quantos? no chance in hell.

Meh, in my opinion Quantos only had like two interesting songs, and the production was terrible. Infernus is clearly capable of creating better music, but it seems like he's one lazy fuck.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:07 pm 

I've only listened to a couple Gaahlgoroth songs and don't remember what his voice sounded like there, but he sure sounds good here. Very glad that this isn't just standard mediocre black metal that only gets attention due to the musicians on it (Ov Hell...).

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:16 pm 

Pretty damn good, beats the hell out of the last Gorgoroth and Ov hell. Love those spacey keyboards too.

Last.fm

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:47 pm 

I kind of liked it. I have not heard much Gorgoroth from recent years so I do not really know how it measures up. But I found this release to be a surprisingly varied and quite interesting album. Gaahl's vocals sound great as well.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:13 pm 

after listening to the entire album. . . . I'm shocked to say that it's a pleasant surprise. It's pretty fucking good.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

csehszlovakze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:04 pm 

I'm just in the middle of the album right now. It's the usual formula King always follows and I'm not disappointed so far, also like Gaahl's vocals on this one, might end up buying it.

Links to my online presence

WD37
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:58 am 

Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxRRxd24kig&t=44m04s

It's from the Norwegian reality TV show "Alt for Norge" which aired this September, where some Americans with Norwegian ancestors compete in different Norway-related tasks. In this episode they compete to see who can write the best black metal lyric and then perform it in front of a live audience. King shows up at around the 46 minute mark to mentor them, and is featured throughout the next 15 minutes, including playing live in the backing band together with Lust Kilman and Geir Bratland from God Seed, as well as Hellhammer from Mayhem.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:31 pm 

WD37 wrote:
Check out this video:

It's from the Norwegian reality TV show "Alt for Norge" which aired this September, where some Americans with Norwegian ancestors compete in different Norway-related tasks. In this episode they compete to see who can write the best black metal lyric and then perform it in front of a live audience. King shows up at around the 46 minute mark to mentor them, and is featured throughout the next 15 minutes, including playing live in the backing band together with Lust Kilman and Geir Bratland from God Seed, as well as Hellhammer from Mayhem.

That was so difficult to watch. Hilarious. I love what a parody of itself Black Metal has become in Norway.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:39 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
That was so difficult to watch. Hilarious. I love what a parody of itself Black Metal has become in Norway.

I bailed after King first shows up. I just got chills up my spine to the point where I knew this wasn't even going to be funny, just embarrassing.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:52 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
WD37 wrote:
Check out this video:

"In black metal we don't jump. We're against that. So keep your feet on the ground". It was worth it for this quote alone.

Reply to topic