Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:32 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Alright, I sort of see where you're coming from; it's nowhere near my alley, in any case, that much is clear. A majority of bands with several albums do not have only one worth listening to and nothing of value on the others. Even for those, sticking to the one album and moving on won't ensure the one you know is the only good one, and you'll never know for yourself if you don't try. But whatever floats your boat. Perhaps the "I feel lucky" button does have a purpose, after all. :D

I see why you have the signature you have. :-D. You are right, though. I'm pretty sure there are amazing albums from some amazing bands I know, but I just never got around to listen to them. I am slowly carving my way through some discographies right now. (Anata and the early Neurosis albums), and I do think that I'm getting a better idea of what those bands are really about. It's just a very slow process for me because there are so many new albums to listen to. Like, I still want to listen to about 4 albums I have discovered..... today. It's madness! :tinfoil:

Maybe I should stop checking rockbox torrent everyday.... that should cut down the madness somewhat.

metaden
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:50 am 

MariusBR wrote:
Where do you like to start with their discography?

- The most popular/infamous album for the band
- The highest rated album
- The first album or the newest album
- The one which has the most appealing cover/title
- The one with the song that was the first you heard from the band, that made you want to check out the band (I think I`m in this category)
- For bands that shift between genres, do you start with the album within your interest-area, genrewise?

... Other?

Usually through youtube, I listen to the band's latest single and start with the latest album and then their best effort and their highest rated ones. If I like 'em all, then I would start chronologically.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:56 am 

Almost always with the first full-length. In come cases where the first one has particularly low ratings, I might skip ahead to one among the first three (second if there are 2-4 in total). Sometimes I start with the band's last demo. This is especially viable in black metal where the role of demos is different (more important).

ElsaMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:03 pm 

I like Demos and their Master Pieces

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 pm 

I start with whichever has the highest rating on the Metal Archives, or ones with the most amount of reviews but a lower, yet still decent rating (sometimes 2 (90%) can change quickly to 5 (66%)). If none are available, I usually go for the album placed in the middle of the discography, so as to not catch them at a time when they were still maturing with their sound and not catch them if their newer stuff might be bad due to a change of ideas and whatnot. I also sometimes go for the album that has the most appealing title, artwork, song titles within it, and/or the overall run-time of the album.

Sometimes too I go on Last.FM and see what albums my friends enjoyed the most by the band, and get that one.

I tend to not get into EPs, demos and splits until I have finished all the LPs and enjoyed them.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3