Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:39 pm 

^ I can totally relate to that as well. I think the first time your ears and mind are subjected to that level of brutality, the natural reaction is "woah...what the fuck...". At least, that was mine.

I think this is a really interesting thread.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:47 pm 

I reacted to death metal's brutality with apathetic feelings at first. I started with less than contemporary albums, many of which sounded somewhat outdated to my ears. Compared to my gateway bands (melodeath, Dimmu, the like) the far less pronounced tonality of early Cannibal Corpse and Cryptopsy's debut weren't necessarily off-putting, but merely uninteresting. The music didn't sweep over me like a wave of intolerable brutality - I merely perceived it as dullminded and unimaginative, initially.

It didn't take long for me to appreciate such music for the harshness's and aggression's sake, but it would take a while for me to actually fall in love with albums like Altars of Madness and None So Vile. I always found the old school charm of those bands quite engaging, especially Cannibal Corpse and Darkthrone (A Blaze, Funeral Moon).

GloomBlood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:24 am 

One band that was difficult to enjoy at first, which I now consider a personal favorite would be Disclose (D-Beat from Japan). Heavily distorted guitars, vocals are super low and drums are almost non existent, but once I gave the record a couple of plays I was hooked and I love to see the look of disgust I get when I pull up in my car and some family has their windows down. Haha.

optimusjamie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:40 am 

For some reason, I've had problems with harsh vocals. Recently, though, I've started to warm to it, but it's still keeping me out of most extreme metal genres.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3