Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ThePoop
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:38 pm
Posts: 467
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:31 pm 
 

Figured I'd start a topic on this since it's my most anticipated album of the year. So far only the rerecorded album version of "Cumpat" and a video for the closer "Dojana" have been released. Both sound excellent, and the changes to "Cumpat" make it an even better song than off the EP. The video for "Dojana" is gorgeous as well. It puts me in mind of the video for "Cunoasterea tacuta" in the way that the visual aspect lends a great deal to the atmosphere of the track. Anyways, I'm hoping this will be the "true" successor to Om which I believe is one of the finest metal albums ever made. I'm willing to bet a lot that it won't let down. So.... Anyone else as excited for this? Thoughts on what's been released so far?
_________________
My favorite Carcass album is Swansong.

Top
 Profile  
Krav
Metalhead

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 7:24 am
Posts: 400
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:45 pm 
 

I'm really excited for this. Here's a link to the new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6jilw-6X_E

I hope there are a few more songs on the album like it.

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1479
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:21 pm 
 

I certainly am excited. I feel it'll be better than the recent Negura Bunget albums


Last edited by Beer Baron on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1884
Location: Forgotten In Space
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:03 pm 
 

Awesome, I've been waiting two years for this. The 7" was great! :D

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1886
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:03 pm 
 

ThePoop wrote:
Figured I'd start a topic on this since it's my most anticipated album of the year. So far only the rerecorded album version of "Cumpat" and a video for the closer "Dojana" have been released. Both sound excellent, and the changes to "Cumpat" make it an even better song than off the EP. The video for "Dojana" is gorgeous as well. It puts me in mind of the video for "Cunoasterea tacuta" in the way that the visual aspect lends a great deal to the atmosphere of the track. Anyways, I'm hoping this will be the "true" successor to Om which I believe is one of the finest metal albums ever made. I'm willing to bet a lot that it won't let down. So.... Anyone else as excited for this? Thoughts on what's been released so far?

Krav wrote:
I'm really excited for this. Here's a link to the new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6jilw-6X_E
I hope there are a few more songs on the album like it.

Thanks!

I'm really interested in this release cause, oddly, I prefer the post split work of Negurã Bunget over Dordeduh's one.
Let's see what can they do with a full album!
NP: Dacia Hiperboreana from (2010) Negurã Bunget - Vîrstele Pamîntului.
This album is a monster too! Not REALLY far away from (2006) Negurã Bunget - Om.

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1479
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:31 pm 
 

BasqueStorm wrote:
NP: Dacia Hiperboreana from (2010) Negurã Bunget - Vîrstele Pamîntului.

Now that's my song, along with Aborele Lumii :thumbsup:

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 1228
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:30 am 
 

Hmmm.. I expect this to be a progression from 'N Crugu... more than Om.... or at least that is what I hope because that one is definitely my favorite.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1479
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:44 am 
 

I really love 'N Crugu but those long intros can be quite annoying sometimes. They didnt have to do em on every song.

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1886
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:35 am 
 

Beer Baron wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:
NP: Dacia Hiperboreana from (2010) Negurã Bunget - Vîrstele Pamîntului.

Now that's my song, along with Aborele Lumii :thumbsup:

I REALLY like this album!
Personally:
New Negurã Bunget: 1
Dordeduh: 0
Let's see!

cultofkraken wrote:
Hmmm.. I expect this to be a progression from 'N Crugu... more than Om.... or at least that is what I hope because that one is definitely my favorite.

We are not discussing Negurã Bunget here but this band is a MONSTER! VERY, VERY personal music despite all their style changes.

Top
 Profile  
Evoken
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 11:02 am
Posts: 553
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 am 
 

I can't help but laugh when I say "Dar De Duh" in my head. Did they let a retard name the album for them? :lol:

Top
 Profile  
tomcat_ha
Veteran

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am
Posts: 2637
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:28 pm 
 

ill be seeing them live for the 2nd time a week from now. They will be playing an extra long set on their support tour with bethlehem and secrets of the moon because they were late for their aurora infernalis festival appearance last year.

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 1228
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:29 pm 
 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I REALLY like this album!
Personally:
New Negurã Bunget: 1
Dordeduh: 0
Let's see!

cultofkraken wrote:
Hmmm.. I expect this to be a progression from 'N Crugu... more than Om.... or at least that is what I hope because that one is definitely my favorite.

We are not discussing Negurã Bunget here but this band is a MONSTER! VERY, VERY personal music despite all their style changes.


Doesn't matter if we are discussing Negura Bunget or not, the connection and sound is relevant to Dordeduh, and I personally found the music already released to be very reminiscent of 'N Crugu Bradalui era NB than anything else which makes sense given the members involved.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
Valkyrjan
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:35 am
Posts: 15
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:46 am 
 

Evoken wrote:
Did they let a retard name the album for them? :lol:

Nah, they just speak a language you're clearly incapable of comprehending.

5 days until release!

Top
 Profile  
Evoken
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 11:02 am
Posts: 553
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:31 am 
 

Valkyrjan wrote:
Evoken wrote:
Did they let a retard name the album for them? :lol:

Nah, they just speak a language you're clearly incapable of comprehending.

5 days until release!


Nah, I was just utilizing my sense of humor with that post, something you're clearly incapable of comprehending. :-P

Top
 Profile  
Valkyrjan
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:35 am
Posts: 15
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:03 pm 
 

Sorry; since I've spent less time in metal circles as of late, I'd forgotten how hilarious retard jokes are.

My point being that if it were in any other language, you could well have said the same thing simply because you don't understand its meaning, so what's with Dar De Duh?

Top
 Profile  
Evoken
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 11:02 am
Posts: 553
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:24 pm 
 

Valkyrjan wrote:
Sorry; since I've spent less time in metal circles as of late, I'd forgotten how hilarious retard jokes are.

My point being that if it were in any other language, you could well have said the same thing simply because you don't understand its meaning, so what's with Dar De Duh?


Please follow these important steps:
1. Pull stick out of ass
2. Enjoy newly found sense of humor
3. Laugh and make friends

:tongue:

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1884
Location: Forgotten In Space
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:51 pm 
 

I don't think having a sense of humor would make that post funny. In fact, having one, I can confirm that it does not.

Top
 Profile  
Oxenkiller
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 1279
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:21 pm 
 

okay, look: I'll freely admit I checked out this band purely because of the name, which lets face it... doesnt sound all that complementary in the English language. But I figured I'd reserve judgement on them until I at least heard them first. The music is very...foreign, but that's not saying it's bad though. Very good, powerful folkish music. I mean, that's the important thing; music is a universal language, this music is good. I loved the video too; where was it filmed, anybody know? Looks sort of like the Rocky Mountains of Colorado or Montana, somewhere but I'm pretty sure it's not.

Top
 Profile  
matras
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:01 am
Posts: 870
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:44 am 
 

Oxenkiller wrote:
(...) I loved the video too; where was it filmed, anybody know? Looks sort of like the Rocky Mountains of Colorado or Montana, somewhere but I'm pretty sure it's not.


Considering where the band's from I'd say that I'm not going out on a limb in saying it's probably the Carpathians.

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1886
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 am 
 

Oxenkiller wrote:
okay, look: I'll freely admit I checked out this band purely because of the name, which lets face it... doesnt sound all that complementary in the English language. But I figured I'd reserve judgement on them until I at least heard them first. The music is very...foreign, but that's not saying it's bad though. Very good, powerful folkish music. I mean, that's the important thing; music is a universal language, this music is good. I loved the video too; where was it filmed, anybody know? Looks sort of like the Rocky Mountains of Colorado or Montana, somewhere but I'm pretty sure it's not.

The music is REALLY emotional and feels completely natural for me (and I'm in the north of Spain).

matras wrote:
Considering where the band's from I'd say that I'm not going out on a limb in saying it's probably the Carpathians.
Obviously.
I have some info about the shooting locations but I can´t find it know. I think I have at home and will try to post it later.
Anyway, I'm almost sure this is one of the places (cause I have been there):
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/906

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2328
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:48 am 
 

Listened to 'N Crugu last night for the first time in a while, now I'm kinda sorta looking forward to this.
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
Paganbasque
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 1460
Location: Basque Country
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:46 am 
 

Basquestorm,

+1, Virstele Pamintului is a fucking great record, its not as good as Om is but its the logic continuation. Undoubtedly Dacia Hiperboreana can be considered as the peak of this album, I really enjoyed the video made for this piece of art, it was dark and original, something you always expect from such a distinctive band.

Am I the only who thinks that Dordeduh sounds a little bit artificial and cold?

The songs are great, all the necessary elements are there but it seems that something doesn’t work, I like the songs but I don’t fell the atmosphere, I am not excited with their compositions. Hopefully this sensation will change when I listen to the full album but I have my doubts.

Top
 Profile  
Tarabostes
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:32 am
Posts: 13
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:58 am 
 

quote from Hupogrammos:
"For the setting we chose an old, quite unknown Dacian fortress, placed deep into the Apuseni [western side of the Romanian Carpathians] mountains. The place is surrounded by an unusual forest, called locally 'the forest without a face'. This place was the subject of many mysterious stories of people disappearing into the forest without a trace. Fortunately during the shootings nothing unusual happened. We are very happy with the final result and Costin Chioreanu did a great job."

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1886
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:56 am 
 

Paganbasque wrote:
Basquestorm,
+1, Virstele Pamintului is a fucking great record, its not as good as Om is but its the logic continuation. Undoubtedly Dacia Hiperboreana can be considered as the peak of this album, I really enjoyed the video made for this piece of art, it was dark and original, something you always expect from such a distinctive band.
Am I the only who thinks that Dordeduh sounds a little bit artificial and cold?
The songs are great, all the necessary elements are there but it seems that something doesn’t work, I like the songs but I don’t fell the atmosphere, I am not excited with their compositions. Hopefully this sensation will change when I listen to the full album but I have my doubts.

I agree and that's my EXACT problem with Dordeduh too.
My initial reaction after the split was that Negura was dead and Hupogrammos's next work would be the great deal but... it has been just the opposite.
Seems like Negru did the move (and was prepared to continue with the band) and Hupogrammos had to improvise.
Let's see what happens with Dordeduh's full album!

Tarabostes wrote:
quote from Hupogrammos:
"For the setting we chose an old, quite unknown Dacian fortress, placed deep into the Apuseni [western side of the Romanian Carpathians] mountains. The place is surrounded by an unusual forest, called locally 'the forest without a face'. This place was the subject of many mysterious stories of people disappearing into the forest without a trace. Fortunately during the shootings nothing unusual happened. We are very happy with the final result and Costin Chioreanu did a great job."

Tarabostes, where are they talking about? Is, maybe, this place I was talking about?

BasqueStorm wrote:
Anyway, I'm almost sure this is one of the places (cause I have been there):
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/906


P.S: Sorry, this one is near Orastie and they're talking about Apuseni. The problem is that I have all those names in my head since I traveled to Rumania some years ago (I had great plans but didn't had much time). Anyway, I'll sure go back!

Top
 Profile  
Tarabostes
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:32 am
Posts: 13
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:08 am 
 

BasqueStorm, they don't specify the exact place where the filming took place, but the picture in your link is of Sarmizegetusa Regia, the ancient capitol/temple city of the Dacians. I doubt it was filmed there because the place is very well known and they would've just said so. I think I read somewhere that it is indeed the site of a dacian fortress, but it's very difficult to know which one because the Apuseni are filled with the remains of dacian settlements.

P.S. Orastie is in the Apuseni :)

Top
 Profile  
Kveldulfr
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 2284
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:28 am 
 

Maybe I'm on the minority here but I prefer mid-era Negura to Om and Dordeduh it's not exactly the same thing as Negura either. I liked what I've heard and the songs are very well crafted.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Negura's Virstele's songwriting was hard to accomplish, like Negru had to study what Negura did on the past and 'recreate' it, whereas the Dordeduh Ep sounds more natural in genesis, like the one(s) who wrote those tracks are more 'used' to write stuff.
_________________
Forestfather in Facebook- Some sort of black metal.
Get Forestfather's new album 'Hereafter' here!
Kveldulf's various stuff in Soundcloud
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal

Top
 Profile  
Claustrophiliac
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:39 pm
Posts: 54
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:19 am 
 

The whole album is streaming on Youtube here:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ-hayqRDOc&feature=bf_prev&list=SPToXWne2Bk-cDQ6322mKfMYjiE7iBHdCq

Really enjoying it after 3 times through.

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1886
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:13 am 
 

Claustrophiliac wrote:
The whole album is streaming on Youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ-hayqRDOc&feature=bf_prev&list=SPToXWne2Bk-cDQ6322mKfMYjiE7iBHdCq
Really enjoying it after 3 times through.

Thanks! Sounds good!

Top
 Profile  
g_k
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm
Posts: 727
Location: NEBRASKA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:11 pm 
 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Maybe I'm on the minority here but I prefer mid-era Negura to Om and Dordeduh it's not exactly the same thing as Negura either. I liked what I've heard and the songs are very well crafted.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Negura's Virstele's songwriting was hard to accomplish, like Negru had to study what Negura did on the past and 'recreate' it, whereas the Dordeduh Ep sounds more natural in genesis, like the one(s) who wrote those tracks are more 'used' to write stuff.



i agree, seems the 'new' NB always sounded forced to me, but eh whatever i guess. the new dordeduh is good, only have one listen though so far.
_________________
My Last.FM recommend me nearly anything!

Top
 Profile  
Kerber
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:51 am
Posts: 194
Location: Serbia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:17 pm 
 

Dordeduh are pretty cool folk/black, they'll be playing here in december, I'll probably go see them.

Top
 Profile  
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:55 am
Posts: 1065
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:59 am 
 

Evoken wrote:
Valkyrjan wrote:
Sorry; since I've spent less time in metal circles as of late, I'd forgotten how hilarious retard jokes are.

My point being that if it were in any other language, you could well have said the same thing simply because you don't understand its meaning, so what's with Dar De Duh?


Please follow these important steps:
1. Pull stick out of ass
2. Enjoy newly found sense of humor
3. Laugh and make friends

:tongue:


You would think, given that 90-something percent of Metal fans speak English, that someone involved in this would ask "hey, does this sound fucking stupid in English?" before going ahead. It's not about it's meaning, its about the fact that that collection of sounds scans/reads like somebody randomly humming under their breath. Like if I had a band called Blahdeblah and released an album called herp de derpadoo. Comes across as comical, which while I'm sure was not the intention, I'm suprised it did not occur to anyone that this would be the case.

Anyway, I dont like this style at all, so what do I know.
_________________
J_Ason wrote:

Were it up to me, I'd pick apart your nervous system atom by atom and throw each individual particle into a separate black hole so that you may never think stupid shit like that ever again.

Top
 Profile  
TheHeresiarch
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:08 am
Posts: 6
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:28 am 
 

Scorntyrant wrote:

You would think, given that 90-something percent of Metal fans speak English, that someone involved in this would ask "hey, does this sound fucking stupid in English?" before going ahead. It's not about it's meaning, its about the fact that that collection of sounds scans/reads like somebody randomly humming under their breath. Like if I had a band called Blahdeblah and released an album called herp de derpadoo. Comes across as comical, which while I'm sure was not the intention, I'm suprised it did not occur to anyone that this would be the case.

Anyway, I dont like this style at all, so what do I know.


Yes, let's all abandon our traditions and culture because the average english speaking moron doesn't understand that the title is not in english, and he might giggle upon "reading" it. You might also be surprised to find out that some music can be pretty personal and not made only to please the crowds. But hey, what do you know ...

Top
 Profile  
matras
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:01 am
Posts: 870
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:37 pm 
 

Scorntyrant wrote:
You would think, given that 90-something percent of Metal fans speak English, that someone involved in this would ask "hey, does this sound fucking stupid in English?" before going ahead. It's not about it's meaning, its about the fact that that collection of sounds scans/reads like somebody randomly humming under their breath. Like if I had a band called Blahdeblah and released an album called herp de derpadoo. Comes across as comical, which while I'm sure was not the intention, I'm suprised it did not occur to anyone that this would be the case. (...)


This is, beyond any competition, one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on these boards. Seriously.

Top
 Profile  
daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:18 am
Posts: 346
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:05 pm 
 

You know what, I asked myself before reading this thread if I'm going to see a "duh" joke. You clever boys you :lol:

Top
 Profile  
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:55 am
Posts: 1065
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:48 pm 
 

TheHeresiarch wrote:
Scorntyrant wrote:

You would think, given that 90-something percent of Metal fans speak English, that someone involved in this would ask "hey, does this sound fucking stupid in English?" before going ahead. It's not about it's meaning, its about the fact that that collection of sounds scans/reads like somebody randomly humming under their breath. Like if I had a band called Blahdeblah and released an album called herp de derpadoo. Comes across as comical, which while I'm sure was not the intention, I'm suprised it did not occur to anyone that this would be the case.

Anyway, I dont like this style at all, so what do I know.


Yes, let's all abandon our traditions and culture because the average english speaking moron doesn't understand that the title is not in english, and he might giggle upon "reading" it. You might also be surprised to find out that some music can be pretty personal and not made only to please the crowds. But hey, what do you know ...


It's not "abandoning your traditions and culture" to demonstrate a modicum of self-awareness in the form of contemplating the likely effect on your audience, and nor am I a moron for pointing that out. All their other titles, fine. You scan it, see its not in english and say whatever, I'm sure it has some meaning I'm not privy to. Because they read like a phrase that would actually mean something. But I think thats a danger you deal with when you use a language-other-than-english for album titles - you'll have to deal with the fact that people will take the piss, especially if your choice of words either looks like someone dropped a box of scrabble on the ground or reads like the catch-phrase of a cartoon bear.
_________________
J_Ason wrote:

Were it up to me, I'd pick apart your nervous system atom by atom and throw each individual particle into a separate black hole so that you may never think stupid shit like that ever again.

Top
 Profile  
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:15 pm
Posts: 10169
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:06 pm 
 

Scorntyrant wrote:
You would think, given that 90-something percent of Metal fans speak English, that someone involved in this would ask "hey, does this sound fucking stupid in English?" before going ahead. It's not about it's meaning, its about the fact that that collection of sounds scans/reads like somebody randomly humming under their breath. Like if I had a band called Blahdeblah and released an album called herp de derpadoo. Comes across as comical, which while I'm sure was not the intention, I'm suprised it did not occur to anyone that this would be the case.

Anyway, I dont like this style at all, so what do I know.


I don't know, speaking of this band/music in particular, I would actually guess that most of their fans possess English as a second language, and that this sort of thing just wouldn't occur to them. I think it's fine, though I have to admit that the first thing that struck me wasn't "this sounds stupid in English" (there aren't any english words there, after all), but rather, "oh great, someone started a topic about imitating metal guitar noises".
_________________
Hush! and hark
To the sorrowful cry
Of the wind in the dark.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Top
 Profile  
Tarabostes
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:32 am
Posts: 13
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:39 am 
 

I'm romanian and the title sounded a bit off to me too at first, even though I know very well what it means (and I'm sure you probably have a translation of it by now as well). Personally, I think the way it sounds can indeed be a bit comical and maybe it results in taking the whole image of the band or feel of the album out of context... but it's strictly related to the way the air comes out of your mouth when spoken. These are the words, and what they mean is much more important: a child will laugh at the way it sounds, a grown man will understand the meaning.

Wouldn't it be nicer if we got back on topic and not make this thread about weird funny sounds? The entire album is available on the Prophecy Youtube channel since friday, let's discuss that :)

Top
 Profile  
kapala
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:56 pm
Posts: 156
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:51 am 
 

Scorntyrant wrote:

It's not "abandoning your traditions and culture" to demonstrate a modicum of self-awareness in the form of contemplating the likely effect on your audience, and nor am I a moron for pointing that out. All their other titles, fine. You scan it, see its not in english and say whatever, I'm sure it has some meaning I'm not privy to. Because they read like a phrase that would actually mean something. But I think thats a danger you deal with when you use a language-other-than-english for album titles - you'll have to deal with the fact that people will take the piss, especially if your choice of words either looks like someone dropped a box of scrabble on the ground or reads like the catch-phrase of a cartoon bear.


Kiss means "pee" in Swedish, so you think Gene and co could have demonstrated a "modicum of self-awareness" when they named the band, and the likely affect it would have on 7 year-olds in Sweden.

Because that's exactly who finds it funny. No one else cares. I guess that's the danger when you chose English words/phrases for a band name/album title.

See what I did there?
_________________
MariusBR wrote:
Go ask a Swede by the way. [...] They would probably tell you that the only way to be BM is to wear a mace in your pants.

Top
 Profile  
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:55 am
Posts: 1065
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:31 am 
 

According to wikipedia, there are 10 million Swedish speakers worldwide. There are 1.8 billion English speakers. You can make of the fact that you are replying to this in English rather than Swedish what you will. I'd chalk it up to the desire to be understood and not cop "Bjork Bjork Bjork" Swedish Chef jokes from the overwhelming majority of people who comprise your audience myself. All of which is beside the point - the original point being a humorous aside that everyone failed to see the humour in due to a failure to adhere to Evokens suggestions. Viz:

1. Pull stick out of ass
2. Enjoy newly found sense of humor
3. Laugh and make friends
_________________
J_Ason wrote:

Were it up to me, I'd pick apart your nervous system atom by atom and throw each individual particle into a separate black hole so that you may never think stupid shit like that ever again.

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1886
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 am 
 

Tarabostes wrote:
BasqueStorm, they don't specify the exact place where the filming took place, but the picture in your link is of Sarmizegetusa Regia, the ancient capitol/temple city of the Dacians. I doubt it was filmed there because the place is very well known and they would've just said so. I think I read somewhere that it is indeed the site of a dacian fortress, but it's very difficult to know which one because the Apuseni are filled with the remains of dacian settlements.
P.S. Orastie is in the Apuseni :)

Ups... thanks!

Tarabostes wrote:
These are the words, and what they mean is much more important: a child will laugh at the way it sounds, a grown man will understand the meaning.
Wouldn't it be nicer if we got back on topic and not make this thread about weird funny sounds? The entire album is available on the Prophecy Youtube channel since friday, let's discuss that :)

Bingo! And bingo!

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group