* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SkinMM
Jesus Loves Me (More than You)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:54 pm 

http://www.eisenton.de/label/pure-arcan ... eisenwald/

Quote:
Once more, we are pleased to announce another alliance made across the ocean to the Northwestern USA. Pillorian, the new band recently formed by Stephen Parker (Maestus/ex-Arkhum), John Haughm (ex-Agalloch), and Trevor Matthews (Uada/ex-Infernus), will release their debut album through Eisenwald in early 2017.

Exploring the context of obscurity, Pillorian takes inspiration from blackened metal, dark folk, and avantgarde music. Adding something ancient that hovers within the music and its somber aura, it helps to fortify the group’s audial scope in an unconventional way.

Pillorian plans to record this Fall/Winter, with further information to be revealed at a later point. We are really looking forward to their first dark metal offering.

Official website: http://www.pillorian.com
Follow Pillorian @ Facebook: facebook.com/pillorian

Pretty stoked for this. The band name is somewhat 'Agallochian' but I'm hoping the music will take a different (and darker) direction, maybe drawing from John's ambient solo work a little. They've confirmed via facebook it is essentially a BM band.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:36 pm 

Man, this Agalloch breakup has only led to good things. New Don Anderson band, new Sculptured, and now this all relatively quickly. I'm glad they quit so these projects could emerge instead of making more of the bloated, whispery post-metal crap that they started playing towards the end.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:14 pm 

"Agalloch visionary John Haughm"

Kek

narsilianshard wrote:
Man, this Agalloch breakup has only led to good things.

I'm pretty sure that the three guys who got thrown out of the band and saw their 20 years old band get copywrited behind their back would disagree with you.

narsilianshard wrote:
instead of making more of the bloated, whispery post-metal crap that they started playing towards the end.

They release one album that isn't as outstanding as the others and now the kids all start talking like they were a spent force and had no kind of creativity left in them as a band... I want to punch you guys in the throat for even thinking such a thing.

So now it's a race between Khôrada and Pillorian to release their first album first :P I'm very interested in hearing the music of both bands. Can't wait for 2017!

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:25 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:
instead of making more of the bloated, whispery post-metal crap that they started playing towards the end.

They release one album that isn't as outstanding as the others and now the kids all start talking like they were a spent force and had no kind of creativity left in them as a band... I want to punch you guys in the throat for even thinking such a thing.

We have different opinions on an album so you threaten me with violence... and somehow I'm the kid?

rexxz
Retired my ass!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:26 pm 

Fight fight fight fight

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:30 pm 

Six band names in the topic and I haven't heard any of em! I know I'm insulating just right.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:37 pm 

They sure are starting the recording process quickly. I hope that means they've been thinking about this new material for a while already.

Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:39 pm 

Woh guys, no fighting please. Direct your anger towards John "I have crippling autism" Haughm. This might be good but his whole attitude definitely left me bitter and I'll support Don, Aaron and their boys in Khoroda instead (it will probably turn out much better too).

Uada are good but they're a Mgla copy.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:44 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
We have different opinions on an album so you threaten me with violence... and somehow I'm the kid?

I'm not actually threatening you, haha :P

Metantoine wrote:
Woh guys, no fighting please. Direct your anger towards John "I have crippling autism" Haughm. This might be good but his whole attitude definitely left me bitter and I'll support Don, Aaron and their boys in Khoroda instead (it will probably turn out much better too).

I'll give both projects a listen anyway. I can't say that Haughm has not deeply disappointed me over the last six months... but I'll still give it a listen. If we had to boycott all bands that involved douchebags, there wouldn't be a big four of thrash metal anymore ;)

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:53 pm 

Their first album will be called Pale Douchelore.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:54 pm 

And it will be a My Little Pony concept album.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:57 pm 

theoctavarius wrote:
Their first album will be called Pale Douchelore.

Followed by and EP named Of Copywriting, Backstabbing, and Douchebaggery

Vindigo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:55 pm 

Lol @ Douchebags who denies that Agalloch primarily was the John's project. So he can do with band and it legacy whatever he wants.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:58 pm 

Oh hi John!

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:51 pm 

Vindigo wrote:
Lol @ Douchebags who denies that Agalloch primarily was the John's project. So he can do with band and it legacy whatever he wants.

Nice Englandsky, comrade.
Was du geschlagen

-Gustav Mahler

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:07 pm 

Vindigo wrote:

Yeah, like that douchebag Don Anderson. What a moron, who is he to say that John Haughm didn't do everyting in the band?

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:23 pm 

He's right. Fuck the guy who's the sole pianist and one of the guitarists of a band for suggesting that he had some sort of creative input.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:24 pm 

Wow, this is a wild thread!

Agalloch sucks!

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:11 pm 

Well I'm way more excited about Pillorian than that Khôrada band the other guys are doing. I never cared for Giant Squid at all, and Sculptured I only half enjoyed because I'm just not that into progressive metal. This sounds much more up my alley. I can even see it sort of picking up where Agalloch left off.

PurpleDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:17 pm 

The name and general description to me come off as having a Pale Folklore-y vibe, though I may just be filling that in myself. I doubt he'll be able to reach the heights he did with Anderson and Walton, but I'm pretty sure it'll at least be enjoyable. I admit that John's behavior during the Agalloch breakup left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, but I think the drama got a little blown out of proportion somewhere.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:32 pm 

Evoken wrote:
Well I'm way more excited about Pillorian than that Khôrada band the other guys are doing. I never cared for Giant Squid at all, and Sculptured I only half enjoyed because I'm just not that into progressive metal. This sounds much more up my alley. I can even see it sort of picking up where Agalloch left off.

I'm expecting Khôrada to go in a Ashes Against The Grain/The Mantle way with a heavier, more doom metal sound and to perform 6-8 minutes tracks. I'm seriously not expecting this band to share anything in terms of influences with Sculptured. It's a totally different project and doesn't give the same vibe at all.

As for Pillorian, I hope it doesn't just mimmick late-era Agalloch. Which I'm seriously not expecting anyway.

PurpleDoom wrote:
The name and general description to me come off as having a Pale Folklore-y vibe, though I may just be filling that in myself. I doubt he'll be able to reach the heights he did with Anderson and Walton, but I'm pretty sure it'll at least be enjoyable. I admit that John's behavior during the Agalloch breakup left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, but I think the drama got a little blown out of proportion somewhere.

Agreed. But with the other musicians involved I'm expecting the black metal side to be more noticeable, like on Marrow Of The Spirit and their demo From Which Of This Oak. Metantoine said Uada is basically a copy-cat of Mgla. So maybe that could get thrown into the mix. I can imagine how it would sound.

If they go all out on this one, this could be a great project two :)

dystopia4
Thumbman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:42 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
John "I have crippling autism" Haughm.

:lol:

I'm sure this will be decent and everything, but way more excited about Khorada. Even if it is good probably won't buy it because I don't want to give John my money after he acted like such a douche.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:17 pm 

Don't give a fuck about the drama lamas. This sounds awesome.

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:49 pm 

jesus christ, what happened, did john haughm personally go to all of your homes, marry your mother, beat you, and then force your mom to write you out of her will? certainly seems like it given the level of violent butthurt in this thread.

i'm eager to see where this goes, and in what capacity each member will be contributing. parker especially, his resume is impressive.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:59 pm 

is this the longest thread title in ma history?

I'll probably check out the preview track and then not bother further because that'll just be boring crap.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:09 am 

Ozenrol wrote:
jesus christ, what happened, did john haughm personally go to all of your homes, marry your mother, beat you, and then force your mom to write you out of her will? certainly seems like it given the level of violent butthurt in this thread.

Yes, and then he tied me down and forced me to listen to "Winter Wrap Up" for 24 hours, and now I can't stop thinking about Twilight Sparkle's ass.
Was du geschlagen

-Gustav Mahler

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:45 am 

Ozenrol wrote:

Regardless of how hard you tried, that was not a funny post.

I'm also kind of unsure as to why you're losing your shit over the fact that we don't like how he's been a jerk to his longtime friends and bandmates before destroying Agalloch and making it impossible for the others to even perform their own music live. What he did... was that a douchebag move? Yes. So that's why we are calling him a douchebag. So why are you so butthurt?

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:08 am 

frankly i don't really give a shit, friend. i just think it's amusing how hostile and upset you and other people are getting over this, hence my observation.

that being said i don't hold anything against the dude. what's done is done and being venomous little shits isn't really going to change anything. like somebody else said, there's been a lot of good to come of this fiasco, might as well enjoy the lemonade, you know?

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:14 am 

Ozenrol wrote:
how hostile and upset you and other people are getting over this

What makes you think that we are THAT upset and hostile?

We made the simple observation that the guy back-stabbed longtime friends, destroyed a band and ran away with all the goods. The guy literraly killed Agalloch and made it impossible for the other guys to keep going on without him. That's like Waters with Pink Floyd, but here, the douchebag actually won.

But sure, let's not talk about this, and call people names if they do want to talk about it.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:26 am 

I did not know that Agalloch had associated drama but I'm not surprised because Agalloch is creamed corn.

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:31 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
What makes you think that we are THAT upset and hostile?

We made the simple observation that the guy back-stabbed longtime friends, destroyed a band and ran away with all the goods. The guy literraly killed Agalloch and made it impossible for the other guys to keep going on without him. That's like Waters with Pink Floyd, but here, the douchebag actually won.

But sure, let's not talk about this, and call people names if they do want to talk about it.

what's left to talk about? it's been done. and discussed to death (in it's OWN DEDICATED THREAD no less, imagine that). let's move on. nothing is going to change by us arguing about it. agalloch is over, and you're allowed to have your own opinions on what happened as well as opinions aboujt the people involved, but it's over. that doesn't negate their catalogue. and it doesn't cheapen what ever new output is going to hit.

Back to the topic of the thread, I'm checking out this Stephen Parker since I've never heard of the dude, and he's got a lot of really cool stuff (spec. the will of a million). Since both he and haughm are multi-instrumentalists, I wonder if this is going to be more of a joint project or whether haughm will be spearheading it.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:03 am 

Thread of the Week

Nice works guys!

Mine's Bigger Than Yours!

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:27 am 

Ozenrol wrote:

i'm eager to see where this goes, and in what capacity each member will be contributing. parker especially, his resume is impressive.

+1. I think he has behaved like an immature little boy but Its enough. Abbath did more or less the same and I didnd see that level of hate. Ok yes, Abbath is funny and John no, but come oooooooooooooooonn

I am cautiously hyped with this, the short description let me think that I will like this new Project.

Now we could have two great bands inteast of only one who seemed to lack new ideas so...

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:54 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Wat, Don is blatantly the problem here. Everyone else in that band was swimming with side-projects and commitments AND managing Agalloch and he could barely do a Summer tour every few year and then wanted to do less. Guy was a great player but had a beyond unworkable schedule.

If I come back to this post in a year and Don has actually done something and showed some commitment, then I'll buy someone here a cookie.

Last edited by absurder21 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rexxz
Retired my ass!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:57 pm 

I don't think literally anything John did with the disbanding of Agalloch was immature even in the slightest.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:07 pm 

absurder21 wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Wat, Don is blatantly the problem here. Everyone else in that band was swimming with side-projects and commitments AND managing Agalloch and he could barely do a Summer tour every few year and then wanted to do less. Guy was a great player but had a beyond unworkable schedule.

Which totally doesn't explain why Haughm would kick them all out if it was the case.

absurder21 wrote:
If I come back to this post in a year and Don has actually done something and showed some commitment, then I'll buy someone here a cookie.

You mean like that Khorada band? Or that new Sculptured material he's been demoing?

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:09 pm 

Gimme that fucking cookie and don't tell you've just cleaned your Firefox cache!

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:02 am 

absurder21 wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

But the rest of the members are working now with Don and not with John. So I guess the real problem is John.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:23 pm 

A Pillorian track has been released:

http://www.stereogum.com/1919046/pillorian-a-stygian-pyre/premiere/

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:31 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
But the rest of the members are working now with Don and not with John. So I guess the real problem is John.

They'd be better off making a collaboration with Don of the Dead.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next