* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:15 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/candle ... streaming/

Quote:
Legendary Swedish doom metallers CANDLEMASS will release a special 30th-anniversary EP titled "Death Thy Lover" on June 3 via Napalm. The four-track effort — which features Mats Levén on vocals — was recorded during September/October and will be made available as a four-page digipack, one-LP gatefold edition and one-LP gatefold webstore edition and old-school "skull-and-cross" slipmat. The cover artwork for the EP was created by Erik Rovanperä.

The official lyric video for the "Death Thy Lover" title track can be seen below.

Commented CANDLEMASS bassist and main songwriter Leif Edling: "We said we wouldn't record an album, but we had to release something for the 30th anniversary of CANDLEMASS, so it became this EP.

"'Death Thy Lover' is in a way a typical CANDLEMASS song and in a way not typical for us. The chorus is pretty poppy, if I can use that word — I would never have imagined I would use a term like that to describe anything CANDLEMASS — but the main riff is very metal and the opening is us going classic ANVIL."

He continued: "Our old friend and now singer Mats Levén is doing a great job on the song. He's also exactly what we needed live, and the band has became even better with him in the camp."

"Death Thy Lover" track listing:

01. Death Thy Lover
02. Sleeping Giant
03. Sinister N Sweet
04. The Goose

"The live shows we've done after 'Psalms For The Dead' (2012) have been fantastic," said CANDLEMASS guitarist Mats "Mappe" Björkman. "Mats has done a great job fronting CANDLEMASS and I don’t think we've ever been this good on stage before! Wacken, Bang Your Head!!!, Sweden Rock, Hellfest, Metal Days, Metallsvenskan, Maryland Death Fest... We have conquered them all."

Edling is slowly getting better from his chronic fatigue syndrome, and participated in the EP recordings.

Youtube: show

I quite liked this. It's different from the Candlemass I originally loved, as it seems like they wrote a song to fit Mats' voice more, but he sounds awesome and the rest of the band does too, so I'm perfectly fine with it. Besides, new Candlemass!

I will say that Mats' voice on this reminds me a LOT of Roy Khan for whatever reason.
Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic/Doom/Black Metal

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:07 pm 

I quite enjoyed that but I also expected to, as Candlemass has always brought the riffs and have never done me wrong musically. I'm still not entirely sure whether Mats is the best fit as I'm just not feeling the dramatics and agony in his voice on this song as I'm used to from their other vocalists, but I won't presume he's incapable of making that evolution or that I won't personally come around, either. Hopefully this goes over well so they can continue on making full-length albums again, or at least a final bow with a little more impact behind it.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:18 pm 

It sounds like it could be on No Prayer for the Dying or Fear of the Dark, which may or may not be a good or bad thing.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:36 pm 

I don't like this at all. I'll be surprised if it appeals to hardcore fans of their early stuff.

Dead1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:54 pm 

Being a fan of old school Candlemass, I ask the question: "where's the epic doom?" We've got some conventional heavy metal here. I like it for what it is but it doesn't sound like Candlemass.

So good track but not really Candlemass...

droneriot wrote:
It sounds like it could be on No Prayer for the Dying or Fear of the Dark, which may or may not be a good or bad thing.

Totally agree. I wonder what it'd be like with Bruce on vocals. :P

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:08 pm 

The new song is pretty cool. I normally don't bother with EPs, but I'll have to at least download this one, if not buy it.

Earthridden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:49 pm 

It could be like Death Magic Doom with the quick opener followed by Hammer Of Doom which hits like a brick. Even the title "Sleeping Giant" sounds doomy.
Enthroned in clouds and fire, ancient harbinger of the end

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:54 am 

Personally I've lost interest in their release after "Chapter VI" but this song crush, love the initial creepy riff that can't go out of my head!

Good surprise

"You make it easy."

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:23 pm 

Mats is a good singer, I always hoped they would have him on a record someday. This will be best appreciated in the context of the record because for now it feels a bit naked but it is usually what Candlemass openers are like and for my money, it is better than If I Ever Die and Prophet but maybe not Black Dwarf. I miss Robert Lowe but I hope to hear him soon with Gathered In Darkness.

dystopia4
Thumbman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:56 pm 

Heh, I was under the impression they were done with releasing new music. Anyway, this was fine for what it is I guess. There are elements here which remind me of Death Magic Doom, but borrows from trad metal/NWOBHM more than anything. I wouldn't say it's embarrassing or a slap in the face of their legacy or anything of that nature, but this comes off as really unnecessary. That lyric video is pretty cheesy, too.

BURlAL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:13 pm 

First time I have heard the new singer and he sounds damn good. Hopefully they record a full length with him.

Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:09 pm 

This sounds more like another one of Leif's side projects than an actual Candlemass song. That said, I'm pretty okay with that since he generally writes good stuff. Loved the last Avatarium record and the Doomsday Kingdom's demo also sounds pretty promising.

Last edited by Twisted_Psychology on Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:25 pm 

I couldn't finish the song. I might just stick to their classic albums with Messiah I guess. Didn't bother with the last Candlemass album after hearing some negative things and this new song isn't doing much to sway me...shame.

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:30 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Lief

Leif*, rhymes with "safe". Sry.

I don't dare to listen to the song. Too afraid I will be disappointed. Candlemass is in my top 5 bands, and I've never gotten used to the idea of Mats Levén in the band. It's just not Candlemass!

rexxz
Retired my ass!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:46 pm 

This... kinda makes me sad. It isn't terrible but this is far, far from what I associate with Candlemass.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:19 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Didn't bother with the last Candlemass album after hearing some negative things

Personally, their last album, Psalms For the Dead, is my favorite of the Robert Lowe albums.

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:58 pm 

This sounds pretty good. I like it. Mat's vocals remind me of Robert's voice. I total liked what Robert brought after Messiah. Sure he was no Messiah but they made great albums. So looking forward to this.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:26 am 

I'll only repeat what everyone else here has said. The "doom" element escapes Candlemass more and more with each record. KotGI was the gloomiest Lowe album but suffered from horrible repetitiveness and had no left-turns. DMD was mostly the same thing, only it was a little more tonally flexible and had some of the most legendary riffs of the decade. The slow element was almost completely gone by then though. You were just left with a bunch of tight heavy metal tracks and a little bit of filler. Psalms took them right back where they started though. Not only did it lack the creativity and riffery to make it a good album on its own, it failed to even tonally or aesthetically resemble a doom metal album. Avatarium was a mess of a pop album with some guitars. I was excited to see Mats join the band because I love all of his work, but now I feel like I have no reason to get my hopes up. I don't think this new song was a total train wreck, but man, what a waste of talent here. They've done far better with this style.

Dead1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I might just stick to their classic albums with Messiah I guess. Didn't

No love for Epicus Doomicus Metallicus? I actually prefer it to Nightfall primarily due to Nightfall's mix (snares and cymbals are too high in the mix). Johan Längqvist was a bloody good vocalist too though not as dramatic as Messiah.

On repeated listens I actually like this new song even though it's not traditional Candlemass. It actually reminds me of Gamma Ray's more chunkier numbers but with a less over polished sound.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:03 pm 

I guess I'm in a minority, but I love the Lowe albums. KotGI ranks right up there with EDM for me and the following albums all kicked ass, although Psalms of the Dead had some clear misses. Leif just has this way of constructing riffs that almost never fails to get me to pound my fist or rock my head. This song, although a bit upbeat, has the same effect. Can't wait for the EP or his solo album!

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:39 am 

Dead1 wrote:

No love for Epicus Doomicus Metallicus? I actually prefer it to Nightfall primarily due to Nightfall's mix (snares and cymbals are too high in the mix). Johan Längqvist was a bloody good vocalist too though not as dramatic as Messiah.

It's their best album by a very large measure. Easily.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:05 am 

Dead1 wrote:
Johan Längqvist was a bloody good vocalist too though not as dramatic as Messiah.

That just feels like such a wrong thing to say. I get that few vocalists have as much character in voice and performance as Messiah Marcolin, and that for the majority of people he is the voice of Candlemass, I even agree with all that, he's the iconic Candlemass singer. That said, when comparing, I feel it should be widely agreed that the vocal performance on EDM is one of the most stellar vocal performances in metal. As I wrote in a review I don't really get much out of the album, but I could revisit it any time just for the vocals, to my ears they're almost 1970s-Halford-level quality.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:26 am 

chaossphere wrote:
Dead1 wrote:

It's their best album by a very large measure. Easily.

Agreed. Nightfall is great and I love the Marcolin stuff, but sometimes it's a bit TOO much, you know? EDM had just the right amount of meloncholy without going too far into camp like Messiah had a habit of doing. Don't get me wrong, though, the Marcolin stuff is great too. Just nothing touches EDM, IMO.

edit: best way to put it is that the vocal performance on EDM felt more "classy" while the Marcolin stuff was pretty hammy sometimes. As far as the new song is concerned all I can think is... what's the point? Tired, lame, played out. Not digging it at all.

rexxz
Retired my ass!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:04 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I feel it should be widely agreed that the vocal performance on EDM is one of the most stellar vocal performances in metal.

Won't see any disagreement from me on this. It's a shame he didn't go on to do much else in metal. I absolutely love the vocal performance on EDM.

fourrobert13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:16 pm 

Sounds like Leif's other band Krux. It could be because it's the same vocalist...lol. I liked the song. I'll definitely pick this up since I'm a fan of Candlemass and Krux.

Reply to topic