Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:55 am 

Swedish metallers THE HAUNTED will release their new album, "Exit Wounds", on August 25 in Europe and September 2 in North America via Century Media. The CD was once again recorded with the band's longtime producer Tue Madsen at Denmark's Antfarm Studio (DARK TRANQUILLITY, HEAVEN SHALL BURN, SICK OF IT ALL) and features THE HAUNTED's revamped lineup: founding members Jonas Björler (bass) and Patrik Jensen (guitar) along with with returning members Adrian Erlandsson (drums) and Marco Aro (vocals), and the band's latest addition, guitarist Ola Englund. TESTAMENT singer Chuck Billy makes a guest appearance in the song "Trend Killer", which has been described by producer Juan Urteaga as "sick as heck!"

"Exit Wounds" track listing:

01. 317
02. Cutting Teeth
03. My Salvation
04. Psychonaut
05. Eye Of The Storm
06. Trend Killer (feat. Chuck Billy)
07. Time (Will Not Heal)
08. All I Have
09. Temptation
10. My Enemy
11. Kill The Light
12. This War
13. Infiltrator
14. Ghost In The Machine

*bonus ltd edition mediabook
15. As The Poison Sets In
16. The Manifestation

* Patrik Jensen - Guitar
* Ola Englund (SIX FEET UNDER, FEARED) - Guitar
* Marco Aro (THE RESISTANCE, FACE DOWN) - Vocals
* Jonas Björler - Bass
* Adrian Erlandsson (AT THE GATES, PARADISE LOST) - Drums

new track 'Psychonaut'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeqCKGjvOB8

well, really don't know why the new The Haunted album don't have already a proper thread.
Listen to it in preview and really kicks ass, forget everything they have done for the past 10 years and re-starting from 'Made Me Do It'.
Swedish death/thrash at its best, an awesome return to the old roots.

Enjoy :headbang:

"You make it easy."

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:20 am 

This has to be one of the more unsual lineup shifts I've seen, since they're now going to have a mish-mash of members from different eras of the band. Adrian was leaving as Marco was entering and Ola is new. The dynamics in that group must be complicated what with At the Gates also coming back. I'll give the album a shot.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:54 am 

My only complain is the songs on the ep should have been left on the ep. Because the ep felt more like they were getting their footing back to familiar thrash from before Dolving steered them into to a watery grave with versus and unseen. I would have liked the bonus tracks to have been the replacement songs. I like psychonaut enough, it's passable, but I'm sure there's better songs on the album.

Chuck Billy track should be interesting. I don't think The Haunted have done a collaboration before.

Expedience
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:07 am 

I have a soft spot for Aro because I saw them live when he was fronting. This album doesn't resonate with me as much as their earlier stuff with him and I really don't know why. I don't feel the enjoyable melodies they used to have are much of a priority for the band anymore, just outright thrashing brutality.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:37 am 

In an interview I saw of Aro at the start of the year, one of the big things mentioned to him by the band members and reasons for the reformation of the earlier line up, was they felt they'd lost their edge, the classic sound or thrashing brutality like you mentioned. Interestingly Aro said the long tour cycle was the reason he left, and was one thing he addressed before rejoining, so now I imagine The Haunted will be doing fewer shows but releasing more music.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:10 am 

The Lions Den wrote:

Swedish death/thrash at its best, an awesome return to the old roots.

Enjoy :headbang:

Wouldn't this just mean a At the Gates reunion?

It's hard to guess why this band still exists. But at least with Marco back on board they seem to be taking a step back in the right, aggressive, direction. I may give it a DL when it's leaked.

InnesI
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:01 pm 

I listened to the album a few times now and this is axactly what I did not want from a new Haunted cd. I guess I knew it from the start once they welcomed Aro back into the fold. To me The Haunted were always best with Peter Dolving - He made things interesting both in the thrashy songs but also when they tried to progress and do something new. It wasn't always a smash hit - far from it - but I think the whole neo-thrash thing is so overdone and the riffs to often sound rehashed. And of course Aros vocals gives no new dimention to the band. He has just one level most of the time and the vocal patterns aren't all that interesting. Im sad to say but I think The Haunted really benefited from having Peter Dolving as a frontman and now when they don't, again, I don't see how they are relevant.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:35 pm 

The guitars are so damn loud and clippy. The terrible lyrics don't help either. The music implies it should be something REALLY important the guy is shouting about but when you understand a lyric, it's all that self pity nonsense. Very bad.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:22 pm 

Here's the music video for "Cutting Teeth": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN7HMG4tVI0

I think this album is turning out to be pretty damn good even though I am really missing Peter Dolving's crazy voice. rEVOLVEr is my favourite The Haunted album and it sucks that I wont get to see the band perform "99" with Dolving again.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:48 pm 

Love/hate relationship with this band. Producers of some killer riffs but also a cliche'd style at times. I'm sure this will produce a good song or two though, doesn't sounds terrible so far even though I could live without this mix.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:16 pm 

InnesI wrote:
To me The Haunted were always best with Peter Dolving - He made things interesting both in the thrashy songs but also when they tried to progress and do something new. It wasn't always a smash hit - far from it - but I think the whole neo-thrash thing is so overdone and the riffs to often sound rehashed. And of course Aros vocals gives no new dimention to the band. He has just one level most of the time and the vocal patterns aren't all that interesting. Im sad to say but I think The Haunted really benefited from having Peter Dolving as a frontman and now when they don't, again, I don't see how they are relevant.

Of course the riffs sound rehashed, welcome to thrash metal. Who cares about adding a 'new demension', I think we got more than enough 'new demension' with Versus and Unseen. And this apparent new direction you're referring to is just groove metal, like that hasn't been done to death.

InnesI
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:16 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
InnesI wrote:
To me The Haunted were always best with Peter Dolving - He made things interesting both in the thrashy songs but also when they tried to progress and do something new. It wasn't always a smash hit - far from it - but I think the whole neo-thrash thing is so overdone and the riffs to often sound rehashed. And of course Aros vocals gives no new dimention to the band. He has just one level most of the time and the vocal patterns aren't all that interesting. Im sad to say but I think The Haunted really benefited from having Peter Dolving as a frontman and now when they don't, again, I don't see how they are relevant.

Of course the riffs sound rehashed, welcome to thrash metal. Who cares about adding a 'new demension', I think we got more than enough 'new demension' with Versus and Unseen. And this apparent new direction you're referring to is just groove metal, like that hasn't been done to death.

Since I wrote it I obviously care. Just because its thrash doesn't mean you can automatically cop out and be lazy. I think every Dolving album has something interesting going for it and represents a natural development of the bands sound (some good and some not so good however). For me there is no reason to listen to a band that rehashes something that others have done before unless it is really excellent. Unfortunately I dont think Exit Wounds is that album. I thought The Haunted with Peter Dolving always had something unique going for them. The Haunted with Marco Aro never had that. But I have to admit that I think some of the Aro stuff was really good - at least at the time of its release.

Reply to topic