Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:15 pm 

Quote:
On July 22nd, West Coast progressive heavy metallers Hammers of Misfortune will release their sixth full-length, Dead Revolution, worldwide via Metal Blade Records. Hammers of Misfortune enlisted Nick Dumitriu (Vhol, Ritual Chamber) to produce this record, utilizing a vintage Trident board and minimizing digital processing. The result is a warm, sharp sound that harkens back to productions like John Leckie's treatment of Pink Floyd's Meddle or David Hitchcock's master work in Camel's Mirage.

Recorded at Light Rail Studios in San Francisco, CA, Dead Revolution is more varied than its predecessor (2011's acclaimed 17th Street), by using different tones, and delving into heavier, darker territory. With tracks like the stupendous "The Precipice", the raging "Flying Alone", and the riff-organ fest that is "Dead Revolution", Hammers Of Misfortune have found a way to indulge their progresssive and psychedelic tendencies while remaining decidedly metal. That's not to say Dead Revolution is without its slow-burners: "Here Comes the Sky" pivots off a Pink Floyd axis (think "A Pillow in the Wind") - with its soft strums, careful vocal interplay, and delicate percussion - before jettisoning into traditional heavy metal motifs. "Of course, every song stands out to me," says principal songwriter and guitarist John Cobbett. "I've no idea how listeners will react to them. 'The Velvet Inquisition' is probably one of the most ambitious compositions we've ever recorded. I was trying some different writing methods and the results are…interesting. 'Days of '49' is an attempt to repurpose an old traditional folk song, which is new for us."

Art:
Spoiler: show

http://www.metalblade.com/hammersofmisfortune

Oh man, I am unbelievably stoked for this. 17th Street was great, but The August Engine is one of my favorite albums of all time and this first track sounds more like that style. Almost everything Cobbett touches is gold, and it's wonderful to hear their new singer recovered from his accident last year and is sounding as good as ever. Can't wait!

Last edited by narsilianshard on Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:21 pm 

That new song is fucking glorious, cowbell and all. Sounds a bit darker musically then a lot of the songs on the previous couple of albums. I can't wait for this shit.

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:03 pm 

I really like August Engine. The others don't do a whole lot for me. The double album barely passed as metal to these ears and I thought 17th Street was quite boring. No hooks!

Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:05 pm 

The cover art is fucking weird, I hate and love it at the same time. I wasn't that fond of 17th Street compared to their previous stuff but this song is indeed pretty damn good. I'm excited for this album.

Tracklist:
01. The Velvet Inquisition
02. Dead Revolution
03. Sea of Heroes
04. The Precipice (Waiting for the Crash...)
05. Here Comes the Sky
06. Flying Alone
07. Days of '49
It's only my ass that's injured!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:13 pm 

That art is awesome and I like the track titles. August Engine is a top record for me, even if I don't think the other stuff I've heard by them is as good. I remember not liking their double album at all, but maybe I'd think differently now. I'll check the song later, glad to hear some positive reactions!

Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:14 pm 

I never quite understood the double album either, I should revisit it.

Also:
Spoiler: show

Isn't he dead?
It's only my ass that's injured!

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:22 pm 

Yeah that double album is weird as hell. Two new/different singers, losing Scalzi, new bassist - it was really made by a different band. I listen to it occasionally when I'm in the mood for some lighter, proggier stuff, but most of the time I pretend it's not part of their catalog. I guess there's a new drummer and bassist on this one, but Joe proved his vocals are perfect for the band so as long as Cobbett doesn't experiment too much I have a good feeling about it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:07 pm 

Paul Walker being involved is just the real meaning of the 'dead revolution' in the title.

Damn, that song was fucking awesome. Killer riffage. The vocals sounded pretty undistinguished, but the guitars and all the organs and cowbells and what not were great. Definitely looking forward to this now.

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:32 pm 

Hyped, liked 17th Street, cannot wait. It has been a loooong time coming. Track sounds amazingly great!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:15 am 

pre-ordered it the sent Tony linked it to me. love every single album by these guys, this will be no different.

ambient
drone
noise for your girlfriend
last.fm

stevetehgreate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:53 am 

the cover art looks more like something a progressive death metal band would release

still cool though.checking the band right now

EDIT: Damn this band kicks ass

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:58 pm 

Pre-order up on Bandcamp!

https://hammersofmisfortune.bandcamp.co ... revolution

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:40 pm 

Instantaneous preorder as soon as I saw it was coming out. I can't think of very many bands who mix prog and heavy metal the way Hammers of Misfortune do, never mind doing at as well as they do.

I expect this will be an AOTY contender for me.

THUNDERFORGE: Melodic heavy metal from western MA.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:17 pm 

another new song
http://www.stereogum.com/1884316/hammer ... iere/mp3s/

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:31 pm 

New song gives a creepy vibe kinda reminds me of the stuff from The Locust Years. This is great. These couple tracks have been really good, if the rest are as good as these, this album is gonna be an easy top 10 for this year for me.

Reply to topic