Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ScandalfTheShite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:27 am 

It's coming at the end of this month, entitled Fear No Evil. Heard Born to Rock the Nation from that album, and it was okay. Not my favorite song by them, but still quite good. Judging by it they're heading for a more modern production, but not TOO modern.

They're propably my number one NWoBHM band if you count out the obvious big names. I love all of their 3 albums, even the first one which to many is too "light" and "lazy" or something. Stand Up and Fight and Against All Odds have some truly golden moments. Just heavy rock you can listen day after day, and not get bored.

And was it their former singer that just died? Sad news.

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:16 pm 

I didn't know the old singer died. R.I.P. to him, I love his singing on Stand up and Fight. I love that whole album actually, one of my favorite NWOBHM records. I'll be listening to this album for sure too. Wasn't there a preview for it? I think I remember hearing it and being impressed by some of it.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:22 pm 

Here is an album sampler of a lot of (all?) the songs on the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS7KH6ugSFY

I was impressed with most of those samples, so I preordered it. (Im)patiently awaiting the release.

I'm a little weird with Quartz, as I don't really like Stand Up and Fight. However, I quite like the debut. I've been following Quartz since I heard they were writing a new album (this started years ago, like 2011-2013), because Geoff Nichols is back in the band on guitar, who was on the debut, but no albums afterward (he left to join Black Sabbath on keyboards for many years). So I was really excited. When they posted the song Zombie Resurrection last year or so, it was nothing like the first Quartz album, or even later Quartz. It was very modern, and very doomy to me. I still liked it, but I was a little cautious. Then when a little while ago, when they posted the above video, most of the music in the samples are very modern and doomy, and I really dug that stuff. There were some more traditional heavy metal moments in the teaser too, and I enjoyed those less.

ScandalfTheShite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:48 am 

Good samples. I'll be buying this for the new version of Walking on Holy Water alone.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:21 am 

I've never heard "Against all odds", though maybe a song or two from it, but I like the debut a lot, more than "Stand up and Fight", even. I figure that even the production is a little on the lightweight side it's not at all bad for 1977, and the album does contain many of their very best songs, which the band would seem to agree with as they play a good number of them on the great Resurrection live album. "Pleasure Seekers", man! How can you deny that...what a great anthem.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

ScandalfTheShite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:22 am 

You should try Against All Odds out. Not the heaviest or fastest thing around, but very well penned heavy rock album. It was re-released as a cd a year ago (if I remember correct).

ScandalfTheShite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:18 am 

Just got this in the mail. Too early to say anything definitive, but this is a pretty ballsy album. New songs work well, and Walking On Holy Water got the treatment it deserved. I'll be probably playing this until the new Spiritus Mortis arrives.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:23 am 

I hope it's not too long until my copy arrives in the mail. Shipped on October 24, from Germany to USA.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:48 am 

Hopefully, people also realize NWOBHM stalwarts DEMON put out an album this year too! Great shit!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:39 am 

Grandpas still kickin' ass! :headbang:

Spoiler: show

Reply to topic