Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheExodusAttack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:38 am 

So over the past few years I've developed a pretty short attention span when it comes to music. I've been revisiting a lot of classic metal that I obsessed over in middle school/high school and I've noticed that the greatest flaw with a lot of metal is just that the songs are just straight up longer than they should be. To me, there's nothing more annoying than getting really into the sound of an album, and then realizing that the thing is 50 minutes long, or more, and few bands have the songwriting chops to maintain momentum and memorability for that long.

So as I'm exploring forgotten metal gems I may have missed out on, I'm wondering: what are ya'll favorite short albums? Obviously there are plenty of exceptions and some bands can pull off long albums, but to me there's a real sweet spot to a death, thrash or black metal album that's just 30-ish minutes. I feel like 40 minutes is a pretty standard average for a lot of albums and even that is pushing it, in my opinion. I'm not specifically asking about grind or demos/EPs, nothing that's "inherently" short. Just an album that has some catchy hooks, does everything it sets out to do and doesn't waste more than a half hour doing it. I'm especially interested any sort of "obscure, yet hyped" albums, like people post in those "[genre] gems" threads.

An example: I was always very pleased with the Dismember debut album. Classic death metal, and it only takes 30 minutes of your time! Only about 3 songs try to be particularly "epic" and push the 5 minute mark. The rest of the songs have the same excellent blend of crushing yet melodic metal, and don't spend more than 3 minutes doing it. "And So is Life" has always been one of my favorite oldskool DM songs.
I am getting pissed thinking about all the dumbass fake punk my sister made me listen to

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:54 am 

I've always been particularly fond of Hirax's "Hate, Fear and Power". It's only 16 minutes long, yet the band considers it a full-length album. It's also the only Hirax album I really enjoy, couldn't ever get into any of their other releases. I wish they could reissue it as a dirt cheap stand alone CD so I don't have to bother buying the "Not Dead Yet" comp that has their debut album on it as well.

Dhranna
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:52 am 

I don't know if a live album fits into your criteria or not, but 'True Norwegian Black Metal - Live in Grieghallen' by Gorgoroth comes to mind. Clocking in at about 31 mins it's pretty succinct. The tracklist was made up of from staples of their live set at the time. All of the crap associated with this release, the disputes and recordings make it noteworthy to anyone interested in the band.

It's also interesting because it's not really a live album in the traditional sense of the term. When I first heard of it, I thought it was a recording of a show in the famous venue itself, not the studio. What it actually is makes it quite interesting. It's not just a band running through songs live in a studio, the re-recording of the bass parts and fuck knows what else in the edit or mix places in it a netherworld between a studio album and a weird rehearsal recording.

Anyway, I quite like it. There is, despite everything mentioned above a sense of urgency in the album that preserves a live feel. The vocals are the best part in my opinion and the whole thing comes across like some kind of statement. What that statement is I'm not quite sure.

ScandalfTheShite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:06 am 

About Gorgoroth: Antichrist is quite short too, only 25 minutes. Always thought it was an ep, but it's listed as a full-length in the archives. My fave from them along Pentagram.

ingmar birdman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:09 pm 

Cryptopsy's "None So Vile" is 32 minutes and it feels even shorter to me. It has an insane momentum to it that keeps it from getting dull or repetitive, and none of the songs seem to needlessly drag themselves out. It's my go-to album when I want to take a quick but effective trip to hell.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:21 pm 

off the top of my head, but I might remember some more later, I'd say;

Reign in Blood is a mandatory masterpiece of 80s thrash, a condensed essence of everything what was thrash about...

Speak English or Die (S.O.D), enjoyable for people with a somewhat 'different' sense of humor...

Antichrist (Gorgoroth), a prime example of Norwegian BM...

Epos (Darkestrah), the one song album, it deserves to be mentioned as an excellent piece of pagan BM with central asian elements, and 'shamanistic' feel...

Farthest From the Sun (Apotheosis), symphonic/atmospheric BM gem, difficult to describe in one sentence but that's what the reviews are for...

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:29 pm 

I'm assuming we're excluding EPs right? Because we expect those to be short. But god damn, Nuns Have No Fun. God damn!

Anyways, as far as short albums that are just impossibly good, Bathory's debut is always the first thing that comes to mind for me. Completely out of place and time in the context of 1984. He took speed metal and made it sound so much more evil than anyone had ever done before. From the hellpaced riffing, to the most demonic vocals heard up to this point, and excellent Satanic lyrics that sounded not one bit ironic...and the whole thing is less than 30 minutes including an overlong intro!

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:11 pm 

Blasphemy - Gods of War

It's like what, 22 minutes?
Great album all of the way through though.

BasqueStorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:29 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
So over the past few years I've developed a pretty short attention span when it comes to music. I've been revisiting a lot of classic metal that I obsessed over in middle school/high school and I've noticed that the greatest flaw with a lot of metal is just that the songs are just straight up longer than they should be. To me, there's nothing more annoying than getting really into the sound of an album, and then realizing that the thing is 50 minutes long, or more, and few bands have the songwriting chops to maintain momentum and memorability for that long.

Really?!?

Well, (1995) Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler 2 always felt quite short (34:17).
LOL!

Rofl!

JohnTheDrummer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:53 pm 

Nails - Abandon All Life

I never listened to Nails prior to purchasing this album, but heard a lot about them and figured I'd give them a listen... and I got punched in the face! Such an angry and violent album, and just a few miles and 17 minutes later I felt that what I heard had a beginning middle and end, surprisingly enough :lol: .

Oh sorry, is this not tr00 enough? ;)
http://www.facebook.com/funeralageofficial

Dalla Nebbia
http://www.facebook.com/dallanebbiamusic
http://www.dallanebbia.bandcamp.com

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:17 pm 

Malevolent Creation's Retribution is only about 34 minutes long, and it's really, really good. It's thrashy death metal that fits in with the early Florida scene. Ghoul's We Came For the Dead is some thrashy Carcass-worship that is a bit over 33 minutes and is really fun. Finally, Slaughter's Strappado is thrash with hints of death metal that runs at 31 minutes with the bonus tracks. None of these are obscure, but they are good to great without being talked about too much.

rawsewage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:44 pm 

Attacker's The Second Coming is 28 minutes of truly awesome USPM that everyone should own.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:46 pm 

Traced in Air is possibly my favorite album of all time, and I swear it gets shorter every time I listen to it.

TheLastSucker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:23 pm 

I'd say Betzefer's Down Low is probably the most entertaining short album for me. Clocking in at just 37 minutes or so, almost every song has a catchy rhythm and chorus making the album pass by so fast.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:28 pm 

I think one of my favourites for being short and vicious is Necrophobics Darkside.
Amazing album and every song has exactly the right amount of riffs with exactly the right amount of length. However, the last song is skippable.
Megadeth Cyber Army member #14126
http://cyberarmy.megadeth.com

DeadspeakNL OSDM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Deadspeak/1380704462220853

Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:48 pm 

Rainbow Rising was the first one that came to mind for me. Always thought it was weird for it to be around 27 minutes long but Tarot Woman and Stargazer among other tracks still make it an essential listen.

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:53 pm 

JohnTheDrummer wrote:
Nails - Abandon All Life

I never listened to Nails prior to purchasing this album, but heard a lot about them and figured I'd give them a listen... and I got punched in the face! Such an angry and violent album, and just a few miles and 17 minutes later I felt that what I heard had a beginning middle and end, surprisingly enough :lol: .

Oh sorry, is this not tr00 enough? ;)

Their first album Unsilent Death is great too and I think it's about 14 minutes long?

In non-grind, Dressed In Streams' self-titled album is about 25 minutes and great (so are their EPs).
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Dr ... ams/329478

Secret Cutter's Self Titled is awesome too.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Se ... led/403073

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:20 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Rainbow Rising was the first one that came to mind for me. Always thought it was weird for it to be around 27 minutes long but Tarot Woman and Stargazer among other tracks still make it an essential listen.

It's 33:35, fairly typical album length in the mid 70s.

A few of my faves already mentioned, so i'll cough up a few..

Megadeth - Killing is My Business. Either 31 or 28 minutes depending which version, either way it's short and effective.

Immortal - Pure Holocaust.

Amon Amarth - The Avenger

Darkthrone - Sardonic Wrath. Shortest album they've done, also one of the catchiest and best of the Moonfog albums.

Obviously then there's all the brutal death classics like None So Vile, Cranial Impalement, Deicide, Legion, Once Upon the Cross... but that sort of brutal death metal is like pizza, it's best when they deliver it in 30 minutes or less ;)

Last edited by chaossphere on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
battle_axes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:19 pm 

I immediately thought of Vader's Litany. Most Vader albums probably shouldn't exceed 40 minutes or so, but considering the extra-punishing sound of Litany, 30 minutes is perfect. The generally short breaks between songs also helps with the momentum of the album, which makes the album feel like one big ass whooping. Wonderful.

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:47 pm 

NECROPHOBIC Darkside - 37 minutes of excellent raw black death metal.
AETERNUS HeXaeon - 33 minutes of very solid dark death metal.
DEICIDE Once Upon The Cross - 28 minutes. No comments.
EMPYRIUM Where At Night The Wood Grouse Plays - I can put it on repeat thrice and it would be great again and again.

Bicro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:24 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Traced in Air is possibly my favorite album of all time, and I swear it gets shorter every time I listen to it.

It is damn good, you right about that.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:32 am 

ingmar birdman wrote:
Cryptopsy's "None So Vile" is 32 minutes and it feels even shorter to me. It has an insane momentum to it that keeps it from getting dull or repetitive, and none of the songs seem to needlessly drag themselves out. It's my go-to album when I want to take a quick but effective trip to hell.

Was gonna say this one. It's one of those rare albums out there that doesn't have one wasted riff on it.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:57 am 

Pentagram - Day of Reckoning. 35 minutes of some of the best Sabbath worshiping doom ever.

Manowar - Hail to England. 33 minutes of 80s heavy metal with epic touches. One of my favorite Manowar albums.

And of course, Black Sabbath - Master of Reality. 35 minutes, and probably one of the most influential hard rock albums of all time.

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:15 am 

I always felt 30 minutes is the perfect albums length for most metal.

Witchfinder General - Death Penalty 30mins classic nwobhm/doom
Oz - Fire In The Brain 27 mins heavy metal practically hard rock at times so catchy and quick
Infernal Stronghold - Godless Noise 26 mins lots of content and it doesnt have a rushed feel to it thanks to the occasional slow riff that hit out of nowhere.

eh, just a few

Saint Vitus - Mournful Cries

putrenista3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:52 am 

Discharge's Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing is just over 27 minutes, and it's pretty much perfect.

Also, I believe AC/DC's new album, Rock or Bust, is their shortest one yet, at about 35 minutes long. It's interesting because the one they did just before that, Black Ice, is considerably longer, by about 20 minutes or so.

CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:10 am 

Hmm... My favourite short album is Drudkh - Autumn Aroura. Clocking in at just under 40 minutes It's long enough that it feels like a fully realized musical idea, but short enough that it doesn't even in the slightest overstay its welcome. Just godly music.

last.fm here:
http://www.last.fm/user/CardsOfWar

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:08 am 

Vulcano's Bloody Vengeance. Definitely well under thirty minutes..I think it's more like 25! But it's pretty much perfect as it is. LIke having speed injected right into your veins. Just wild and something I always play from start to finish, at the highest volume possible.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:07 pm 

putrenista3 wrote:
Also, I believe AC/DC's new album, Rock or Bust, is their shortest one yet, at about 35 minutes long. It's interesting because the one they did just before that, Black Ice, is considerably longer, by about 20 minutes or so.

They're both equally boring though :P

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:15 pm 

Realm of Chaos, baby.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:16 pm 

not that it's metal, but i'm a fan of the band zeke and they have short albums

metal-wise, i'm just gonna go with reign in blood, although agent orange is also pretty short. great.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:17 pm 

Immortal's "Blizzard Beasts".

Reply to topic