Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:56 pm 

Quote:
Norwegian extreme metallers BORKNAGAR will release their tenth album, "Winter Thrice", on January 22, 2016 via Century Media. The CD was mixed and mastered at Fascination Street Studio in Sweden by Jens Bogren (OPETH, KREATOR, PARADISE LOST), who previously took care of mixing duties for BORKNAGAR's 2012 album, "Urd".

Commented BORKNAGAR founder and guitarist Øystein G. Brun: "Finally a release date for our new album is set.

"The album was finished back in July and it has been a painful ordeal to hold our 'breath' until now.

"We are extremely satisfied with this album in every aspect; the songs, the production and the overall feel. We have definitely climbed yet another musical peak!

"Once again, Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studio has proven to be a true magician of sounds. He was really able to pinpoint the nerve of the music and unfold the visions that we strived for. None above, none aside — none even close!

"The album title 'Winter Thrice' may chime familiar in the minds of those who have followed BORKNAGAR throughout the years. Both musically and lyrically, the new album has a clear reference to the 'Olden…' days of the band — in the same time as we take a huge leap into the future. Literally, the title refers to the three continuous winters (Fimbulvinter) which ensign the downfall of the world (Ragnarok), according to northern mythology. The rest is up to YOUR very own imagination.

"Last but not least: For the very first time in our career, we actually have a title track on this album, named 'Winter Thrice'. Along with Vintersorg, ICS Vortex and Lazare, none less than our original vocalist Fiery G. Maelstrom take on the lead vocals. It's breathtaking, nothing more need to be said. Just heard."

BORKNAGAR has been confirmed to appear at next year's edition of Germany's massive Wacken Open Air festival, set to take place August 4-6, 2016.

"Urd" saw the return of ICS Vortex (ex-DIMMU BORGIR) to the band's ranks and its touring campaign further introduced drummer prodigy Baard Kolstad (also in LEPROUS) as newest member in the band's illustrious lineup history.

TRACKLIST

1. The Rhymes Of The Mountain
2. Winter Thrice
3. Cold Runs The River
4. Panorama
5. When Chaos Calls
6. Erodent
7. Noctilucent
8. Terminus

The album’s limited edition Digipak CD version and the gatefold 2-LP also come with the bonus track “Dominant Winds” and additionally, the Digipak will include a BORKNAGAR logo-patch.

The first track was released as well

Youtube: show

The track sounds more straightforward and has a bigger black metal feel than most of the Vintersorg-era albums, still retaining a similar style than the Urd tracks. I can't wait to hear Garm singing with Vortex, Lazare and Vintersorg. Looks like Garm will also have a song only for him (probably the other guys doing backing vocals).

Last edited by Kveldulfr on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:23 pm 

I normally don't like this particular brand of cheese in my metal, but Borknagar is one faboulous exception to the rule. I fucking loved Urd, it is majestic and awesome.
Apart from that, the first 3 albums get me on, and Quintessence on some days.

I'm hyped for the new one, expectations are through the roof and really dug the released track!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:01 pm 

Yeah, Urd was the first time they really synced as a band since Vintersorg joined; it finally sounded like its "own" album and not just several skilled musicians throwing shit at the wall until something stuck. Probably my favorite of the project after The Olden Domain.

I am interested to see Kristoffer's contributions, however, given that his singing these days is much more restrained and not that raw nasally sound (which was fucking awesome) he used on TOD, which this album is obviously aiming to emulate.

Ambient techno @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/eastward | https://soundcloud.com/valcove

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:55 pm 

Joy! Borknagar is one of those bands I can't find anything to complain about. Can't wait to hear what Garm does here. I wish this was a permanent thing, but once more is better than never again, right? Hype.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Erosion of Humanity
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:08 pm 

Nice, pretty stoked to see new Borknagar. Hoping that a nice US/Canada tour happens some time next year too

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:58 pm 

I found Urd to be rather ho-hum actually, but new Borknagar is always something to get excited about.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:21 pm 

I initially found Urd to be lackluster, but it was probably because I had unrealistic expectations due to the lineup. Their music isn't exactly musical fast food either. It grew on me and is now my favorite Borknagar album, just ahead of Archaic Course. The fact that Garm is on this album really gives me hope. Can't wait to hear the whole thing.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:12 am 

The music is great but I dont like the clean vocals. Anyway the album could be quite interesting.

SculptedCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:02 am 

Love that cover. Shiny, celestial, rooty, a new take on established art.

conquer__all
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:53 pm 

Urd had some decent songs but nothing will compare to the first five albums esp. the Olden Domain. However I do have high hopes for this one. Plus I would kill to see these guys live! I don't think they were ever over here in the States before (correct me if I'm wrong).

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:46 am 

Vocals and new song sound like the best thing I've heard since the first 3/4 albums.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:07 pm 

The new song is phenomena! I am really looking forward to this new album.

The Elitist Metalhead
The Elitist Metalhead on Facebook

Woolie_Wool
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:14 pm 

Why does seemingly every metal album that comes out these days have the same production? Clicky bass drums, plastic bucket snare, cymbals and toms borderline nonexistent, noise-blaster guitar, inaudible bass, compressed into a thin, two-dimensional soundstage with no depth. Can we just fire every producer in metal and bring in new ones from somewhere else?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:39 am 

New video up with all 4 Borknagar vocalists going on!

Man, this song is fucking incredible.

BasqueStorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:28 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
I can't wait to hear Garm singing with Vortex, Lazare and Vintersorg. Looks like Garm will also have a song only for him (probably the other guys doing backing vocals).

Good news!

Kveldulfr wrote:
[youtube]

And much better!

Morn Of Solace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:09 am 

Great song.. i'm really glad to say that the dream team didn't betray my expectations! :)
The more restrained vocal lines that Garm sings are awesome!

conquer__all
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:40 pm 

Great song! I dig everything this band has done over the last few decades.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:23 pm 

Yeah baby Garm!
Sweet, sweet song - my body is so ready for this.

Skurge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:16 pm 

Gird thy buttocks fiercely.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:22 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:

The video is actually enjoyable as well. The song is amazing and seeing them all sing together was quite cool. I am really excited about this album.

The Elitist Metalhead
The Elitist Metalhead on Facebook

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:42 pm 

Very excited for this. Was actually just wondering to myself when they'd drop another album. I too don't typically care for the cheesy symphonic black metal but this band just seems to get everything right for me. Loved the shared vocal duties on Urd

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:28 pm 

Holy crap. That video and song were amazing. I've never cared for Garm's vocals (I know, thats a sin around these parts) but he sounded amazing on this song. I cannot for this album to be released!
Mesmur (Funeral Doom)

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:45 am 

All the popstars duly presented in the video, lol. Not absolutely bad, but I find that video rather clichy and show-off. I should spin the debut someday...

druivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:44 am 

Both songs are very good, i am very excited for this album!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:19 pm 

Well, the album is out and it's really, really good!

For instance, they really put some aggressive stuff here, like the good ol' days. There are a couple of songs that I'm not feeling much but at least 4 of them are DAMN good!

It's colder in atmosphere than Urd, the riff quality is great (harkens back to the first 3 albums in plenty) and all performances are solid as an anvil.

Here's the whole album btw

BasqueStorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:31 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Well, the album is out and it's really, really good!
For instance, they really put some aggressive stuff here, like the good ol' days. There are a couple of songs that I'm not feeling much but at least 4 of them are DAMN good!
It's colder in atmosphere than Urd, the riff quality is great (harkens back to the first 3 albums in plenty) and all performances are solid as an anvil.

Listening to this right now but my problem with this band is that I only REALLY like their first two albums. :scratch:

Morn Of Solace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:42 am 

Excellent as expected! i'm only on the second listen, but i can say that i enjoyed this more than any post-2001 albums they put out!
...i'm happy to start a year in this way!

the vocal work is surely the shining star of the record, but the album is still packed with riffs and some really memorable melodies!

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:32 am 

Have to check the whole thing yet, but I was hoping for some screams from Garm, mehhh....

Zephirus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:30 am 

like the track they put up, some great vocals
love Garm and ICS, they can sing for sure

druivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:19 am 

Their best since Empiricism for me.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:19 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Have to check the whole thing yet, but I was hoping for some screams from Garm, mehhh....

He hasn't screamed since what, 1998? Anything he'd try these days would probably sound weak and out-of-practice as hell.

Ambient techno @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/eastward | https://soundcloud.com/valcove

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:11 am 

Last album I liked from them was Quintecence, but these couple songs renewed my hopes for them, will chick this album for sure
Not hearsay but the will of man

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:35 pm 

I know its only January, but is easily my album of the year. I LOVED "Urd", but at times it sounded like a bit of an ICS Vortex showcase since he just returned to the band. This is perfectly shared between all 3 vocalists, plus the two tracks Garm guests on. I've never been a fan of his vocals, honestly, but I cannot get enough of him on this album. And the drumming... THE DRUMMING. So amazing.
Mesmur (Funeral Doom)

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:50 pm 

The drumming is really brutal and it's the more energetic performance on any Borknagar album since The Olden Domain. Baard is a fucking beast.

Morn Of Solace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:54 pm 

200% agree! I'm fairly sure that we are witnessing the rise of a new drum legend!

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:09 pm 

This album as a whole is more consistent than the last, the production is great, all of the vocalists were great (more of Garm wouldn't have hurt). The first three songs, When Chaos Calls, and Terminus were my favorites, though I didn't dislike the other songs either they just didn't capture me as much. I liked the vocal melodies in Panorama, but I didn't like too much what Lazare was doing with the keyboards in some parts of that song. It's a minor complaint anyway. Overall, this is a near-perfect follow-up from Urd.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:12 pm 

Really enjoying this album so far. The sound is massive, and the songwriting is a big step up from the previous handful of albums. I sort of lost interest in Borknagar a while ago, so it's refreshing to hear them reinvigorated and sounding a lot more inspired. The vocalists really shine on this album. Garm sounds good, but I think his contribution on the album is a bit blown out of proportion. I mean, yeah, it's really cool to hear him with Borknagar again, but he has like a cumulative 45 seconds on the whole disc.

I know they're not a very heavy-touring band, but I have had the chance to see them a couple of times and they're very strong live, so try to catch them if you get the opportunity. Maybe they'll tour more with this new album.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:50 pm 

I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

First three songs and Terminus are top notch, everything else is ranging from good to great, except for maybe Panorama, which is too "playful" for my taste.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and argue that Cold Runs the River is their most epic song since Colossus. Just great songwriting.

Zephirus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:31 pm 

Vintersorrow wrote:
I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

First three songs and Terminus are top notch, everything else is ranging from good to great, except for maybe Panorama, which is too "playful" for my taste.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and argue that Cold Runs the River is their most epic song since Colossus. Just great songwriting.

colossus is my fave track

Reply to topic