Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SolracV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:26 pm 

Progressive Metal band Seventh Wonder released a new song, called 'Inner Enemy.'

I think it's a pretty good song; typical SW that we've come to love. What do you guys think of the song? Also, what do you guys think of the band in general? I ask because I've seen little discussion regarding Seventh Wonder, and I'm genuinely interested to hear what you guys think.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:21 am 

Oh fuck, this almost got buried by other threads!

I loved that. Short and sweet, showing that after 4 years they still have it in them to deliver.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

stevo0914
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:24 am 

i fucking love Seventh Wonder. This was pretty catchy. I'm just hoping the rest of the album is a little more proggy.. of course the singles are usually the most accessible song.

ObservationSlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:20 am 

Sounds good to me. I'm really looking forward to this one. They have yet to disappoint and it sounds like they will continue their streak.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:18 pm 

Never liked this band, and that song didn't change a thing. It's got all the elements of something I'd normally enjoy, but something about the prissy, overly poofy sort of attitude going on along with the extremely weak sounding riffs just irritates the fuck out of me. Tommy Karevik, stick to Kamelot!

I'd encourage fans of this band to also check out Shadrane, who I think are way better:

ObservationSlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:10 pm 

I could never get into Kamelot. When I heard that Tommy was replacing the old singer, I decided to give it a listen, but still I couldn't get into it. Then again, I tend to stick to the other side of the power metal spectrum.

I can see where you are coming from about the "prissy, overly poofy sort of attitude," but I have always loved the dynamic between the vocals, keyboards, and guitars.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:55 pm 

It just sounds like Circus Maximus's Isolate except without the interesting instrumentation and instantly hooky choruses. If the guitars were doing more interesting stuff it might be OK, but then again the vocal lines are still annoying as hell, too. Pretty much the problems I always had when I tried to listen to this band. Just sounds wimpy.

Aydross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:19 pm 

Well It does certainly sound like Isolate, but with way different vocals. The problem for me is I don't like those kinds of riffs, like very heavy sounding but somewhat boring, they are completely power/progressive generic. Still, I think I like this, even if it is riff-lacking. It is very catchy.

Aydross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:06 pm 

Well, I've been hearing other songs from the band, and while I believe the instrumentation isn't great, it's way better than in this single.

TheNiceNightmare
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:32 pm 

I don't think Tommy Karevik ever intended to be a metal singer. He just likes singing shitty pop and/or rock and keeps stumbling into metal bands by accident and going "yeah, this seems like a good place to ply my trade!"

I was gonna ask who this appeals to, because it sounds like some bizarre mix between modern prog metal, vaguely defined heavy music only identified by dismissively throwing "-core" at the end, and quite possibly, the fucking Backstreet Boys. Then I realise that style probably has a lot of appeal somewhere, somehow, these days. And yeah, I used to listen to Mercy Falls regularly and think it a neat album, just like so many others...oh, I think there we go. People with the same questionable taste I see when I look back at myself. Seriously, you people are weirding me out.

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:20 pm 

I'm a big fan of Seventh Wonder, but this is way way too poppy for me. I'm with everyone else when I say that I hope that this is the most accessible song on the album, and that the others have at least some semblance of metal to them.

And yeah, they look like the fucking Backstreet Boys in this video. Lame.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

darkeningday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:56 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Never liked this band, and that song didn't change a thing. It's got all the elements of something I'd normally enjoy, but something about the prissy, overly poofy sort of attitude going on along with the extremely weak sounding riffs just irritates the fuck out of me. Tommy Karevik, stick to Kamelot!

I'd encourage fans of this band to also check out Shadrane, who I think are way better:

I'm by no means a Seventh Wonder fanboy, but Shadrane is absolute dogshit; really empty, hook-free songs with absolutely nothing to find enjoyable at all. Well, at least on Temporal, which is the first and last album I've heard of theirs.

Also... "prissy... poofy"? I had no idea demarcating metal styles in homophobic terms was still acceptable.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:42 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I'm by no means a Seventh Wonder fanboy, but Shadrane is absolute dogshit; really empty, hook-free songs with absolutely nothing to find enjoyable at all. Well, at least on Temporal, which is the first and last album I've heard of theirs.

I have to agree. That Shadrane was horrid. The Seventh Wonder song was miles better.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:09 am 

darkeningday wrote:

Also... "prissy... poofy"? I had no idea demarcating metal styles in homophobic terms was still acceptable.

The songs are instantly memorable but also have multiple layers that grow on you as you spin it more, yet it also doesn't try and show off...instead it invites you in softly and eases you into its charms. It's very mellow and I like that about it - the songs build on subtle themes and really move along as perfect units without too much or too little going on. I like that it's prog that doesn't sound like anything else I've ever heard; it's got a definite sound of its own and the band has crafted varied, moving songs within that sound. Parts of songs play in my head without even having it on for days at a time, so not following you at all when you say it's hook-free. It's a spellbinding work that draws me in from the first note and works as a coherent whole straight to the last.

Those terms were used to mean wimpy and bland, which the Seventh Wonder song was. It's a fairly common attitude in modern prog bands where they try to sound sophisticated in a way...it just bothers me.

Last edited by Empyreal on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:15 am 

Safe, but not a whole lot to see after the first chorus swings around, and even the chorus isn't that good. It's a fun song, still.

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

Reply to topic