Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Earthridden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:33 am 

I recently rediscovered Hour Of 13 due to the Sumerlands debut and I love everything they have done. Nothing original but a great combination of riffs and atmosphere and I find it to be some seriously dark and eerie stuff.

The band has a fairly interesting history noted on their page and I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on why Phil Swanson was in and out of the band so many times?

Another point of interest is the re-use of all the lyrics from "Hour Of 13" on Vestal Claret's "Bloodbath". This is particularly unusual and I can't think of another example of this happening. I gather Phil wrote the lyrics but using them all again in another band to totally different music must be a fairly unique situation. Then after that happened he was back in Hour Of 13 again as 333 came out after that?

Despite all this, name changes etc Hour Of 13 is back and there's going to be a comp on Shadow Kingdom.

Anyone? Frank Booth? :)
It was far easier losing my memory.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 am 

Earthridden wrote:
Another point of interest is the re-use of all the lyrics from "Hour Of 13" on Vestal Claret's "Bloodbath". This is particularly unusual and I can't think of another example of this happening. I gather Phil wrote the lyrics but using them all again in another band to totally different music must be a fairly unique situation.

I can only think of another example of this:
the lyrics of Life Eternal from Mayhem being used by the Colombian Black Metal band Typhon.

my trade list

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:37 am 

let sleeping dogs lie.

HourOf13
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:00 am 

Ah, but sleeping giants awake.............

So, I don't really know how to answer this inquiry without sounding like an asshole. But, he basically just kept getting freaked out over nothing really. He didn't care for a project I had started shortly after the debut came out so he left over that, then after The Ritualist he split for reasons regarding touring, and finally after 333 was released he left because he once again didn't like the idea of me doing the vocals for live shows when he couldn't perform. Also, he began to think of me as a bit of an asshole (which is no new surprise).

The debut album lyrics were (supposedly) written before he joined Ho13. I don't really understand why he did that and set them to lesser music to be honest, as I guess he didn't really care about confusing the fans. And that's his MO basically, not really caring about the fans.

So there. I'm back, he's out ,and yes..... Let his sleeping dog lie.

vulcan plutarchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:27 am 

How come the debut is so hard to get a copy of?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:51 am 

dunno where you're looking (if you're looking at all), discogs has 40 copies for sale, starting from 5 euro. cheapest US seller has it for 15 bucks. if that's "so hard to get"... *shrugs* *rolls eyes*

Zodijackyl
Parochial Nimrod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:17 pm 

HourOf13 wrote:
The debut album lyrics were (supposedly) written before he joined Ho13. I don't really understand why he did that and set them to lesser music to be honest, as I guess he didn't really care about confusing the fans. And that's his MO basically, not really caring about the fans.

Thanks for explaining everything, and much respect for everything you've done. I don't mean to question/doubt anything you said, I just wanted to comment on that last bit from a fan's perspective: the first time I met Phil Swanson, I recognized him and introduced myself to him at a show and asked if he had some specific ultra-obscure demo tapes from 30 years ago, so obscure that they weren't even on the archives at the time. He took my contact info and ripped these demos and hours of rehearsal recordings and sent them to me. That left a lasting impression that he's a great guy who really does care about fans and the music.

vulcan plutarchy wrote:

SKR/HHR sold/shipped out all the CDs, but there's a ton available new from other sellers. It's $10-12 shipped from Amazon.

BastardHead wrote:
No, you're using your penis as a dowsing rod and giddily sprinting pelvis first into a fucking volcano.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:08 pm 

vulcan plutarchy wrote:

Eyes Like Snow reissued the album in 2013, it's still available on their website: http://shop.northern-silence.de/index.php?lang=en

EDIT: Here it is hella cheap from Grooves-Inc.: http://www.grooves-inc.com/hour-hour-northern-silence-productions-cd-pZZa1-1898244639.html

Reply to topic