Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
trinhcuong
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:17 am 

I'd have guessed digipaks were only introduced in the mid-90s - I really couldn't tell you the oldest digipak I own though, can't say the thought has crossed my mind before - haha.
More examples. I have the 3 of the 4 different original first press versions of BOLT THROWER "Real Of Chaos" ( I miss the US version ), the 3 versions released in 1989 contains ifpi code. So how you can explain that?
http://chungcuanbinh.com.vn/

trinhcuong
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:19 am 

Got an odd one here... Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal, Under One Flag. Booklet and back insert look fine, but the disc matrix looks nothing the ones

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:21 pm 

^Greek bootleg.

trinhcuong wrote:
I'd have guessed digipaks were only introduced in the mid-90s - I really couldn't tell you the oldest digipak I own though, can't say the thought has crossed my mind before - haha.

They first came about in the mid 80s. It took a while until metal labels could afford to get them made though,.

~Guest 392255
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:17 pm 

Has anyone ever seen this version of "Panzer Division Marduk"? I've checked all over the net, including discogs.com and ebay, and have yet to see this particular pressing anywhere else. The disc print is different than any other version of this CD that I've come across.

Disc print: http://imgur.com/SqV692G

The matrix code is "19013 4" - and in *very* tiny printing above that "MFG by Crest National - CA IFPI LF72"

Matrix: http://imgur.com/0uiiX5B

The artwork/booklet/layout is identical to the original Osmose (Fra) version.

I've had it for quite a few years. I don't even remember when or where I purchased it exactly. I was just cataloging my collection on Discogs recently and noticed that one of the versions I have was different that the others I was seeing. Pretty sure it's an early 2000s US repress of some sort...?

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:46 pm 

Yeah Crest is just a plant in the U.S., Osmose had pretty much all their CDs made there when they had a U.S. office. Definitely legit. They were doing that in the 90s, so it's probably the only pressing for the territory. I'm pretty sure they imported the artworks from France as a couple of the ones I have from Osmose U.S. have a secondary barcode sticker placed over the original barcode on the jewelcase.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:57 am 

Is the reissue of "Millennium" by Monstrosity available directly from the band any different from the original version (mix, master, etc.) or is it just a straight repress?

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:45 am 

It seems to be a straight repress with a different label logo. I bought one for a friend of mine but I didn't really hear it. What's weird about it is that Discogs listed that reissue as non-official. Weird licensing shit perhaps?! I don't know...

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:30 pm 

^ I'm going to make an educated guess that Russian listing is probably a bootleg. I appreciate the feedback, shame on me for not having a legit hard copy of the album long before now, anyway.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

AcidMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:24 am 

Got Nightfall / Parade into Centuries today. Just curious - was there different pressings than one, presented on discogs: i have different color of CD (mine is black, on discogs - red), matrix is the same, no ifpi codes. Fotos of my CD:

Spoiler: show

iRaptr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:47 pm 

I have the Symphony of Enchanted Lands II - The Dark Secret cd from Rhapsody of Fire (Rhapsody bac at the time). The cover art has the "rhapsody of fire" logo instead of the "rhapsody" logo. Did the steamhammer re-released the album post Luca-Turilli exit and name change? The interior is black. The cover art and the back art looks like original to me. SPV 69612 CD. Barcode: 693723696126

Immerse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:37 am 

Is my Blood-Christbalt a bootleg?
On the side is written the name and a code:LVR CD-030
Cover is nothing different.
On the back,there is a tracklist,line-up and a photo of the band.
Cd shows some columns and logos are there.
In the booklet it shows thankings,line-up(again) and some info.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:30 pm 

Immerse wrote:

https://www.discogs.com/Blood-Christbai ... se/1878154

Obviously it's this version, but the entry doesn't have any matrix info to compare. I doubt you have a bootleg since those tend to be sourced from the first press version.

Immerse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:21 am 

chaossphere wrote:
Immerse wrote:

https://www.discogs.com/Blood-Christbai ... se/1878154

Obviously it's this version, but the entry doesn't have any matrix info to compare. I doubt you have a bootleg since those tend to be sourced from the first press version.

It´s the exact code.

drobowik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:08 pm 

AcidMind wrote:
Got Nightfall / Parade into Centuries today. Just curious - was there different pressings than one, presented on discogs: i have different color of CD (mine is black, on discogs - red), matrix is the same, no ifpi codes. Fotos of my CD:

Here I found also blue one, so it's kind of production error or done on purpose.

http://www.ebay.ph/itm/NIGHTFALL-Parade ... 1314753643

And your matrix code looks very legit.

Mine is also red.

DigitalDictator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:40 am 

This is really scary

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/10 ... rfeit-cds/

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:35 am 

Indeed! This world is getting worse by the minute ffs...

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:50 pm 

One in four? That's crazy. It would be nice if they provided a sample of the music genres they purchased from, though. When I buy metal CDs from the big warehouses on Amazon (marvelio, -importcds, MovieMars), the worst case scenario is I'll get a flimsy or poorly printed import. I was always surprised by this until I visited Amoeba Records in Hollywood last year and realized many of their CDs are stocked from such imports (Del Imaginario from Argentina being the big one). Don't think I've ever gotten a bootleg from them, though I rarely inspect my CDs before shelving them. I doubt Chinese bootlegging is as big a problem with metal releases (bar the big names like Metallica, Maiden, etc.), but I'll have to be extra attentive next time I order from Amazon...

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:56 pm 

So for around a year now I've been looking at copies of Running Wild's Blackhand Inn on ebay. Problem is almost all of the listings are from Russia, and I vaguely remember reading somewhere on this thread that Russia is notorious for printing bootlegs.

Should I steer clear of these for now?

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:03 pm 

Might be safe to. According to Discogs, there are several Russian bootlegs of the Noise International pressings. In general, it's a good idea to avoid buying copies directly from Russia or Greece on ebay or Discogs, as they're likely bootlegged copies. If you're interested, I bought a copy of Black Hand Inn by NEMS Enterprises on the cheap a few years ago, either from Amazon/ebay/Discogs, and it's an officially licensed copy fro Argentina according to Discogs. Bear it mind it's remastered and has two bonus tracks, though.

Also, keep your eyes peeled for reissues from BMG. So far they've only released best-of compilations, but they'll be reissuing the back catalogue of Running Wild (and other Noise Record bands). Those ought to be coming out this year, if they haven't already. Those will be remastered too, but they'll at least be affordable in the US. Here's an article on that: http://hardrockhaven.net/online/2016/08/bmg-announces-major-reissue-campaign-from-legendary-metal-label-noise-records/.

Juan97
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:50 pm 

Hi guys, I've got a ´problem. I got some copies on CD of STORM's NORDAVIND and I can't find any info about these version. They are supposed to be from Moonfog (FOG 004) but the matrix isn't the same showed here or on discogs and I don't find it anywhere on the net. the barcode of the back cover is the same. the texts of the booklet are a bit blurry but I've heard some original copies of bands like Satyricon are Ulver have the same issue. the Matrix of these CDs is: FOG - 004 - 100 - 2793. Anything else is the same compared to the version I see here and on discogs. Can someone help me with this? :) thank you.

I took some pics that you can see here:

http://imgur.com/a/rZrKv

Recordcollector
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:40 am 

my guess is boot, and based on the design it looks pretty new.

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:34 pm 

Definitely a boot according to the font of the matrix
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

Juan97
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:22 pm 

Asti78 wrote:
Definitely a boot according to the font of the matrix

Bootleg confirmed, but there is no info about this one on the internet, who knows where this comes from.

comandante4
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:26 pm 

Seller offered me a first press of the Tourniquet - "Stop the bleeding" in mint condition for less than 20 USD including delivery. But polygraphy is looking strange with this paper "tentacles". And there is no logo PRINTED IN CANADA on the inner side of the tray.
What is this can be ? Self made on home printer ?
I have another Intense Rec CDs but never saw that kind of stuff.
Help me please if anyone knows what it is.

Here are big photos of tray and CD matrix:

drobowik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:17 pm 

Matrix code looks like original.

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:06 pm 

So this one is a tape I picked up at a record store a few years ago and it isn't a CD but I have been trying to pinpoint where it came from for years now haha. I can't find anything online about it and it claims to be a licensed copy but I have my doubts. It is Bulldozer's The Day of Wrath album.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:46 am 

just a guess, but it looks like a fan- or maybe even band-made edition to me. regarding bootleg or not, I have no idea about the rights situation/the band's stance on this. have you tried contacting the band about it?

edit: discogs just told me about an unoffical incantation tape "licensed from the devil archives", so my guess is it's a fan-edition aka bootleg.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:37 pm 

I would have to go with bootleg on this one, I have just been curious as to what this mystical "Devil Archives" is but I'm guessing that it is made up and totally not licensed by anything. Googling The Devil Archives did no good at all and pretty much links to religious stuff no matter how I search for it haha. I saw that Incantation tape and it didn't really seem to have any more info so I'm at a loss. I would say it is a good quality bootleg but at the same time the record store I bought it from should know better than to sell a bootleg copy.

blackfuneral
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:30 pm 

Hi everybody, I just got these copies for the Behemoth demos,

are these bootlegs, cant really find any good source of info and they were not listed on M.A.

both were released by New Aeon Musick but no catalog id is listed or year of reissue

philosobat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:37 pm 

I have a copy of Carpathian Forest's "We're Going to Hell for This" from Peaceville Records but the contents are, strangely, actually "Black Shining Leather" instead. Has anyone heard about such an issue with that pressing? Is this some sort of bootleg shenanigans? This is by far the weirdest thing that I have in my collection and I really don't know what to make of it.

Shizoism
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:46 am 

Hello Guys,

I'm looking for extra information about a Bootleg Split CD (Sarcofago + Sepultura) named "Only Love Wins Hate".

I heard that it contains rare shows from 1985 and 1986.

Anyone have more info about tracklist or venues ?

Shardnax
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:51 pm 

Not sure how I'm to go about posting requests so here goes nothing.

Is this a bootleg?

It has the four bonus tracks from this release but the insert cover isn't red. It's also louder than all my other FC CDs.

drobowik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:13 pm 

Shardnax, this Freedom Call CD is bootleg.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:18 pm 

Shardnax wrote:
Not sure how I'm to go about posting requests so here goes nothing.

Is this a bootleg?

It has the four bonus tracks from this release but the insert cover isn't red. It's also louder than all my other FC CDs.

I'm not a Freedom Call expert but wasn't this released on Steamhammer as a digipack but bootlegged by Russia as a jewel case?

Shardnax
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:20 pm 

drobowik wrote:
Shardnax, this Freedom Call CD is bootleg.

thesilentenigma wrote:
I'm not a Freedom Call expert but wasn't this released on Steamhammer as a digipack but bootlegged by Russia as a jewel case?

Thanks for the quick response, time to file a claim :grumble:. Are vinyl bootlegs an issue (in general, not just for FC)?

iRaptr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:30 pm 

Being a newbie in this area, isn't bootleging an album, like that FC illegal? In a way that the label logo and all of that stuff is used without their permission. And why most of the bootlegs, especially in Discogs, from Russia?
Sorry for the dumb question :p

Shardnax
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:23 pm 

Last I knew, yes. Dealing with it would take time and money the smaller labels probably don't have or want to spend. It's impossible to completely eliminate it. I can't speak as to why one country or region might be more prone to it than others.

Ghustavo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:47 am 

Also, the inlay is completely white, that's kind of familiar isn't it ?:scratch:

I am still waiting a response from Duke but like I said on PM, I believe you have 2 beautiful bootlegs.

Can the last two posters provide a Matrix# for this EP ?

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:32 pm 

Anyone know the differences between the Russian Toxik releases and the original Roadrunners?

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:15 pm 

I've gotten in the habit of requesting photos when buying anything over $50 on Discogs. It's disturbing to see so many people selling bootlegs as originals. It's more disturbing when it's pointed out to them that it's a bootleg and proven with photos and those people still keep their bootleg listed as original and at a high asking price.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 65  Next