Spoiler: show

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:47 am 

Maybe a silly question but what does it sound like? is it noticeably quieter than other newer CDs?

Also for tinypic you can add _t just before the file extension .jpg to give you a thumbnail

Code:
[img]http://i61.tinypic.com/lgv3o_t.jpg[/img]

Then you have to make it clickable [link it]
Code:
[url=http://i61.tinypic.com/lgv3o.jpg][img]http://i61.tinypic.com/lgv3o_t.jpg[/img][/url]

drobowik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:25 pm 

I don't have German edition to compare, but nothing wrong with sound for me.
And yes, it really noticeably quieter compared to newer CDs.
What does it mean?

And thanks for the hint about tinypic.

dreadmeat wrote:
Maybe a silly question but what does it sound like? is it noticeably quieter than other newer CDs?

Also for tinypic you can add _t just before the file extension .jpg to give you a thumbnail

TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:41 pm 

Please delete this if it isn't alright to ask this here.

I have a handful of cd's that I bought off of Craigslist and they only have the cd and booklet, so the back insert is missing (All legit copies thankfully). I have found every cd's back cover on discogs or similar sites. Do you guys have any clue how I would go about this? Every image is a different size, so I would have to edit every one and then the quality is also bad on a normal printer.

I thought I'd ask here because we are all collectors and therefore should have amassed some knowledge on stuff like this.

Again, I don't even know how any of you can help, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Anyone have a problem like this? If I can't fix it, it's alright because the most important part is there, but if I can fix I'd love to!

goncalobcunha
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:50 pm 

PM sent.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:08 am 

TheDarkHarvest wrote:

I have a handful of cd's that I bought off of Craigslist and they only have the cd and booklet, so the back insert is missing (All legit copies thankfully). I have found every cd's back cover on discogs or similar sites. Do you guys have any clue how I would go about this? Every image is a different size, so I would have to edit every one and then the quality is also bad on a normal printer.

I thought I'd ask here because we are all collectors and therefore should have amassed some knowledge on stuff like this.

Again, I don't even know how any of you can help, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Anyone have a problem like this? If I can't fix it, it's alright because the most important part is there, but if I can fix I'd love to!
What do you mean by 'found them', you printed them off?

TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:36 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
TheDarkHarvest wrote:

What do you mean by 'found them', you printed them off?

Yeah, I found high res pictures and printed them out. Why?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:46 am 

:( :nono: :|

If you ever sell or swap them please be 100% clear about what you have done.
I'll transplant these posts to the bootleg ID thread, not that they are bootlegs but still, you know?

TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:02 am 

Oh, I have no intention of selling haha.

I'm sorry, but the lack of a back insert really hit a tick of mine where I need everything to consider it complete.

Dio_For_Ever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:57 pm 

Hi to all!! who can help me to identify if these cd´s of the band "Kamelot" are official or bootleg? i´ve search on discogs.com and there are only bar codes:

# kamelot-siege perilous, noise records, barcode: 6-4459102972-1, catalogue: N 0297-2, matrix/runout: 5907 2
# kamelot-eternity, noise/sanctuary, barcode: 8-2310740802-5, catalogue: 82310-74080-2, matrix/runout: L388 9842 82310740802 D21204-01 A
# kamelot-karma, noise/sanctuary, barcode: 6-4459103452-7, catalogue: N 03452ux, matrix/runout: 17770 1

thanks in advance.

AcidMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:45 am 

New qeez

1. Pestilence - Testimony of the ancients

foto of CD and matrix, ifpi 0772

2. The Chasm - Conjuration Of The Spectral Empire by Witches Brews, it's stated on discogs that it's hand numbered, my copy have empty field for number, but no number. Matrix: 22570 - BREW005. No ifpi. Was there any copies like that?

P.S. Both from Discogs / Hammerheart ... yes, i know, i know :)

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:12 pm 

^That Pestilence is definitely legit, typical Sonopress matrix.

As for The Chasm, it may be one of the "self bootlegged" copies that were made by the band after WB (rightfully) refused to give them more than their contracted number of copies.

drobowik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:26 pm 

Dio_For_Ever,

Any ifpi codes on Siege Perilous and Karma? If not, definitely bootlegs.

Eternity looks like original.

Dio_For_Ever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:07 pm 

drobowik wrote:
Dio_For_Ever,

Any ifpi codes on Siege Perilous and Karma? If not, definitely bootlegs.

Eternity looks like original.

siege perilous: IFPI 9F02

drobowik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:39 pm 

Then according to information all could be original.

Still cannot be completely sure without pictures of matrix.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:45 am 

Dio_For_Ever wrote:
Hi to all!! who can help me to identify if these cd´s of the band "Kamelot" are official or bootleg? i´ve search on discogs.com and there are only bar codes:

# kamelot-siege perilous, noise records, barcode: 6-4459102972-1, catalogue: N 0297-2, matrix/runout: 5907 2
# kamelot-eternity, noise/sanctuary, barcode: 8-2310740802-5, catalogue: 82310-74080-2, matrix/runout: L388 9842 82310740802 D21204-01 A
# kamelot-karma, noise/sanctuary, barcode: 6-4459103452-7, catalogue: N 03452ux, matrix/runout: 17770 1

thanks in advance.
Those matrices look far too short, please post the entire thing including any ifpi sid codes, logos, mould stamps etc

And as above photos or scans are ideal :nods:

TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:19 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
Dio_For_Ever wrote:

thanks in advance.
Those matrices look far too short, please post the entire thing including any ifpi sid codes, logos, mould stamps etc

About the short matrix part. Is this in regard to just these cd's or as a general rule? I've got some that have short matrices like those, but are legitimate.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:32 am 

A bit of both, usually CDs 'made' by big labels like Noise/Sanctuary etc have quite detailed matrices, but not always.
Take a look at your Hirax CDs for example... [self released] very easy to bootleg, no sid codes, simple font, not much info
I too have some legit CDs here with very minimal matrix info

The catalogue number or barcode in the matrix can be a good indicator though, usually matrix info won't just be this, it will often include it though.
I get really sketchy on CDs made under license in other countries or by the same company but in another country, eg xxxx having plants all over the world and it's cheaper to ship from China or Malaysia to say New Zealand than from Europe so they get made there, and probably duplicated and distributed 'under the table' and nobody knows.

There are some pretty gnarly documentaries out there on bootlegging and counterfeiting, they counterfeit prescription medicine... no joke!
You can buy fake pills on the shelf with all the seals and authenticity markings in place that look identical to the real thing but the pills don't even contain the medicine you're paying for.
Not so bad for paracetamol or multi-vitamins [unless cut with unsafe manufacturing by-products] but Cancer treatment medication?! :nono:

Watch the documentaries guys, they are an eye opener.

TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:27 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
A bit of both, usually CDs 'made' by big labels like Noise/Sanctuary etc have quite detailed matrices, but not always.
Take a look at your Hirax CDs for example... [self released] very easy to bootleg, no sid codes, simple font, not much info
I too have some legit CDs here with very minimal matrix info

The catalogue number or barcode in the matrix can be a good indicator though, usually matrix info won't just be this, it will often include it though.
I get really sketchy on CDs made under license in other countries or by the same company but in another country, eg xxxx having plants all over the world and it's cheaper to ship from China or Malaysia to say New Zealand than from Europe so they get made there, and probably duplicated and distributed 'under the table' and nobody knows.

There are some pretty gnarly documentaries out there on bootlegging and counterfeiting, they counterfeit prescription medicine... no joke!
You can buy fake pills on the shelf with all the seals and authenticity markings in place that look identical to the real thing but the pills don't even contain the medicine you're paying for.
Not so bad for paracetamol or multi-vitamins [unless cut with unsafe manufacturing by-products] but Cancer treatment medication?! :nono:

Watch the documentaries guys, they are an eye opener.

But then cds like this
http://www.discogs.com/Megadeth-Killing ... se/2179580
http://www.discogs.com/Exodus-Bonded-By ... ase/688031

Are pretty much just the catalogue number...

TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:28 am 

It's a tough world being a collector of music. Having to worry about boots SUCKS.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:30 am 

Like I said though mate "usually"
That Exodus is a good example actually, it has the cat # but some other stuff too

It's the world we live in man! ha ha ha :lol:

TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:32 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
Like I said though mate "usually"
That Exodus is a good example actually, it has the cat # but some other stuff too

It's the world we live in man! ha ha ha :lol:

Out of all things I chose to collect and put my time into...

Why didn't I choose snow globes or some shit!?

Oh well, in the end, it's so worth the trouble.

drobowik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:17 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
Dio_For_Ever wrote:

thanks in advance.

Old presses could have short matrix codes, even under big labels.

For example - Borknagar - The Olden Domain issued under Century Media
First edition matrix is - 77175-2

TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:35 am 

Yeah, I have a Borknagar - The Olden Domain with just 2586 7 + +, so they COULD be short, but I'll leave it to the experts to decide hhaa

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:32 pm 

USUALLY :roll:

There seems to be a standard but it's not mandatory, or perhaps you have to pay to use it, I know use of ifpi's SID codes costs money.
It always bothers me that some of the bigger labels [I'm looking at you Relapse] don't seem to use SID codes :scratch:
Not that 99% of their catalogue is hard to find or worth ripping off but still...

travisvid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:59 pm 

Anyone knows what is the original Death Penalty Witchfinder General CD?

I don't find information about it, only back covers, on discogs page UK version is the real deal and Europe version is the ¿"bootleg"?

Any help about matrix codes, etc, thanks. :)

UK:

Europe:

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:24 pm 

travisvid wrote:
Anyone knows what is the original Death Penalty Witchfinder General CD?

I don't find information about it, only back covers, on discogs page UK version is the real deal and Europe version is the ¿"bootleg"?

Any help about matrix codes, etc, thanks. :)

UK:

Europe:

Don't believe too much in Discogs, especially when it comes to "Country Releases" there is so much bullshit information. Not forgetting that there is a lot of incorrect data in almost all sections. So don't take Discogs too serious.
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:32 am 

Definitely agree with that, it's like any open-to-the-public resource like Wikipedia, it should be used as part of a wider source of info.

I just checked the history of all the CDs listed at Discogs and asked for more info on them all, I see no mention of a bootleg in the notes or history, where did that info come from?
Where are those images from? and here we have case and point: no cited source of the info :roll:

http://www.discogs.com/Witchfinder-General-Death-Penalty/master/42692
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Witchfinder_General/Death_Penalty/1278#album_tabs_notes
http://www.musik-sammler.de/album/48702 I see 8 CD versions listed here

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:17 am 

What do you guys make of this?

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Atheist/
http://www.discogs.com/Atheist-Piece-Of-Time-Unquestionable-Presence/release/5666135

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:28 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:

The Discogs info definitely is bullshit as this was never released in 1991
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:32 pm 

They have clearly just used the date on the rear cover...

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:54 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:

An alleged Active Records press with a matrix that reads "ATHEISM"? South American bootleg, definitely. I've encountered a few of them like that, for stuff like Anacrusis and Satyricon to give an example.

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:16 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
They have clearly just used the date on the rear cover...

If you do it that way, almost each Release from Osmose should also be added under the original release year as they never change the year format. This rear cover just says "Recorded Tampa Florida 1988, 1991" which does not give a hint on the release year.
The font of the matrix tells me it is post 2000 something.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:43 am 

They have used the only date they can see or it's just been copied from the draft and not updated, I didn't add it :roll:

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:46 am 

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/135199216
Matrix: ATOZM49559/B S1
Vektor - Black Future

I wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a bootleg of this album floating about somewhere, I'm not saying this is a bootleg but still.
Does anyone have this version?

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:55 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
They have used the only date they can see or it's just been copied from the draft and not updated, I didn't add it :roll:

I know that you didn't add it. I just wanted to make people aware not to trust Discogs data as anyone can add releases and false information. Whenever I put items on sale in 50% I discover false information on the release page or releases are added double or triple just because someone adds a "-" between cat no. or forgets a single digit in a matrix code

heavyrocks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:52 am 

So I just got the Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium 1st press off of eBay and the disc looks different from what I've seen on the Internet.
Here's what I got:
And here's what I've seen on the Internet:
Can somebody tell me the difference? Did I get a bootleg?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:51 am 

heavyrocks wrote:
So I just got the Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium 1st press off of eBay and the disc looks different from what I've seen on the Internet.
Here's what I got:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/742/6jvowQ.jpg
And here's what I've seen on the Internet:
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mJ_KZPoLkODQ0aTYuvpoplw.jpg
Can somebody tell me the difference? Did I get a bootleg?

Those pictures are way too small to see anything specific, can you post full resolution photos?
Also there are probably 10 different 'original' versions of that one...

Edit: does it say it's Canadian?
http://www.discogs.com/Cathedral-Forest-Of-Equilibrium/release/3793550

heavyrocks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:56 am 

No. It says made in the USA.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 65  Next