Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 345962
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:00 pm 

-delete-

Last edited by ~Guest 345962 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Recordcollector
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:56 pm 

none of my sonopress cds from late 80s looks like that

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:36 am 

azintex is a well known bootlegger

search.php?keywords=azintex

~Guest 345962
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:13 pm 

-delete-

Last edited by ~Guest 345962 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:06 pm 

My blog? you lost me there mate :lol:

~Guest 345962
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:15 pm 

-delete-

Last edited by ~Guest 345962 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:11 pm 

I don't know man, but I can tell you that the photos from that blog are all of legit material. It belongs to a board member called Daemonlord, and he's all about first presses.

Anyway, which seller did you buy it from on Ebay? And be aware that a) there's a ton of Toxik bootlegs left and right, and b) Azintex is a known bootlegger.

~Guest 345962
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:22 pm 

-delete-

Recordcollector
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:27 pm 

This is the correct font, this is how my Sonopress CDs from the 80/ or early 90 looks like. the others are fake cds

Aaattaack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:30 pm 

shadowofadream wrote:
'My CD'

Spoiler: show

fake!

shadowofadream wrote:

fake!

font is too modern, not blocky enough! they are getting better though!

to me the seller doesn't looks super typical bootleg seller, but since greece is floated with bootlegs, I would always be cautious buying anything there.

uglijimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:14 pm 

alright guys,

can anyone tell me the difference between this:

http://www.discogs.com/Forced-Entry-Unc ... se/6282894

and this:

http://www.discogs.com/Forced-Entry-Unc ... se/4366676

I want the original and not the unofficial russian one.

rsngfrce
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:55 pm 

I apologize if this has been asked before (or should be common knowledge), but I have searched both here and googled and I still can't figure it out... where is the LABEL CODE located on a CD release?

An example, on discogs.com, the first CD release of Alcatrazz - No Parole from Rock 'n' Roll is identified by the LABEL CODE Uicy-2341. I believe I have the first release of this CD (Polydor Japan), but mine has a CATALOG# of 3112-38 (35PO) and I have never been able to find a "LABEL CODE" on any release that is said to have one... can someone please fill huge gap in my knowledge by letting me know where the freaking label code should be located? Thanks! :grumble:

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:19 am 

Label codes usually, but not always, start with LC then a 4 or 5 digit number
European stuff typically has them but US stuff doesn't, not sure about JP but I don't think so, depending on a few other things too though eg where was the thing printed and or distributed

Uicy-2341 where did that info come from? it's not on our page here
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Alcatrazz/No_Parole_from_Rock_%27n%27_Roll/4256
It's the catalogue number not a label code
http://www.discogs.com/Alcatrazz-No-Parole-From-Rock-N-Roll/release/4488963

Grab yourself an Osmose album and take a look, it'll be on the rear cover and on the disc too probably

https://twitter.com/dreadmeat/status/542909959428534272

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:29 am 

Also this album came out in 1983 so are we sure it was even on CD back then? :scratch:

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:21 am 

It probably was in Japan. Pretty sure that might even be the first place CDs were available.

rsngfrce
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:37 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
Label codes usually, but not always, start with LC then a 4 or 5 digit number
European stuff typically has them but US stuff doesn't, not sure about JP but I don't think so, depending on a few other things too though eg where was the thing printed and or distributed

Uicy-2341 where did that info come from? it's not on our page here
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Alcatrazz/No_Parole_from_Rock_%27n%27_Roll/4256
It's the catalogue number not a label code
http://www.discogs.com/Alcatrazz-No-Parole-From-Rock-N-Roll/release/4488963

Grab yourself an Osmose album and take a look, it'll be on the rear cover and on the disc too probably

Thanks for the photos, that makes it very obvious to me what the label code should look like.

dreadmeat wrote:
Also this album came out in 1983 so are we sure it was even on CD back then? :scratch:

chaossphere wrote:
It probably was in Japan. Pretty sure that might even be the first place CDs were available.

Oh, you don't know what kind of can of worms you are opening here with me! I appreciate you asking these questions dreadmeat! I have been conversing with Diamhea extensively about these sort of issues that I am finding in the Archives. I'm only currently only a 159 point Metalhead, but with Diamhea's assistance, I already made major changes to the Alcatrazz - Live Sentence listing and versions (which was in even worse condition... it listed the first CD release, no vinyl versions were listed, of this as on the US Grand Slamm label in 1984 and Grand Slamm DIDN'T EVEN exist then!).

Regarding Alcatrazz - No Parole From Rock 'n' Roll (and how it is listed HERE):

You are correct about discogs.com listing "UICY-2341" as the Catalog#, but somewhere that I cannot find at the moment, I found info indicating that "UICY-2341" was a Japan Label Code. Also, for what it is worth (and with this release, not much IMO), MusicStack lists that as the Label Code here:

http://www.musicstack.com/discography/alcatrazz/no+parole+from+rock+%27n%27+roll/r4488963

I would ALSO question whether this was released on CD in 1983 (that is awful early in the introduction of CDs for a CD such as this). But I must ALSO question, what exactly is the 1983 version that is listed here (the Archives)? It lists no Catalog # AND no Format. The track listing is presented in "CD format", but apart from that (being incorrect IMO), I would think this is actually the vinyl version. Also, the label is listed as "Polydor Records" and should be "Polydor Japan" I believe.

WHEN this was first released on CD is very difficult to determine (same is true of the Live Sentence CD). Many 'unofficial' discography sites list this as 1983, but I can find no confirmation of this that I trust. I believe I have the first release of No Parole From Rock 'n' Roll on CD, it is from Polydor Japan and has a Catalog# of 3112-38. I find NONE of these discography sites list this CD with that Catalog#. I am unable to find "UICY-2341" anywhere on this CD or packaging. The only indication of a date to be found is a P music copyright of 1983 to Rocshire Records, but that does not indicate to ME that this was released in 1983. I have seen copies with the "3112-38" catalog# offered on eBay and such, so I know I don't just have some freak copy.

I get a bit obsessive about getting these things corrected (just ask Diamhea!) but there seems to be SO MUCH inaccurate info out there that it isn't easy and I am not prepared to make definite statements without definite proof.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:17 pm 

The different versions feature was added only recently. So there's still a lot of albums in the archives which need to be fixed. There used to be only single tracklist for a release and that was in a a CD-type configuration, so anything released in the vinyl days has to be manually converted to that format in the original release entry.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:16 pm 

chaossphere wrote:

This could easily be true, but a small band like this? I'm pretty sure only very large bands with a lot of money could afford to get their stuff put on CD back then, feel like having a hunt around for some info?

UICY-2341 is not a label code, it may be some Japan-specific code but it's not standard looking to me, that site is quite possibly wrong and whoever submitted this info has just copied the info from there.
Over at Discogs that is called "web subbing" and is punishable by death :roll:

rsngfrce wrote:
I get a bit obsessive about getting these things corrected (just ask Diamhea!) but there seems to be SO MUCH inaccurate info out there that it isn't easy and I am not prepared to make definite statements without definite proof.
Awesome!

rsngfrce
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:34 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
The different versions feature was added only recently. So there's still a lot of albums in the archives which need to be fixed. There used to be only single tracklist for a release and that was in a a CD-type configuration, so anything released in the vinyl days has to be manually converted to that format in the original release entry.

Thanks, I know the Other Versions feature was only added recently (which has the Archive in something of a mess...), but I was unaware that there had been no LP-format configuration and that explains a lot!

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:43 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
chaossphere wrote:

This could easily be true, but a small band like this? I'm pretty sure only very large bands with a lot of money could afford to get their stuff put on CD back then, feel like having a hunt around for some info?

Err, not really something I have time for :P It's entirely possible that CD was released in 1983 in Japan, since it was on Polydor and Japan is a big market for traditional metal. CDs were on the market there since 1981.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:01 am 

Bathory - Born for Burning
at 02:50 there is some heinous crackle

can you guys compare yours?
this is the Irond CD version of The Return.... from 2003

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:10 pm 

That's on the 1990 original CD release but not on the 1987 Under One Flag vinyl. So must have been tape damage during the transfer from master tape to hi-res digital and the lazy fucks probably just boosted the levels on that same transfer instead of doing another one.

Incidentally the 1990 version of Under the Sign.. sounds even worse, it's literally riddled with dropouts. There's no such thing as a good CD version of the first 3 Bathory albums.

rsngfrce
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:11 pm 

chaossphere wrote:

Err, not really something I have time for :P It's entirely possible that CD was released in 1983 in Japan, since it was on Polydor and Japan is a big market for traditional metal. CDs were on the market there since 1981.

EVEN IF you had time for it, I haven't been able to find a RELIABLE source for when it was first released. I personally agree with dreadmeat, I don't think it would have been released that early on CD, even in Japan. I haven't given up though, since early Yngwie is one of my obsessions... :roll:

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:06 pm 

Short of jumping through a time-travel wormhole to a Japanese record store in 1983, there's no way to be sure. Until then it's probably best to stick with what is known, just to stop one more bit of incorrect information finding its way onto the internet...

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:59 am 

UICY = label code for Universal Music Japan.

Yngwie Malmsteen and the like are pretty popular over in Japan, so it getting a CD release that early wouldn't shock me. Anyway, here's a search for Alcatrazz on Yahoo Auctions - hopefully there's something there that helps (I see a lot of copies of "No Parole From Rock 'n' Roll" on there, its a pity you can't zoom in on the photos there).

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:04 am 

Oh god, Japan Yahoo, time to get broke! :roll: :-D :oh shit:

rsngfrce
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:33 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
UICY = label code for Universal Music Japan.

Yngwie Malmsteen and the like are pretty popular over in Japan, so it getting a CD release that early wouldn't shock me. Anyway, here's a search for Alcatrazz on Yahoo Auctions - hopefully there's something there that helps (I see a lot of copies of "No Parole From Rock 'n' Roll" on there, its a pity you can't zoom in on the photos there).

Thanks for the confirmation that "UICY" IS a label code. I still don't understand label codes that well, but "UICY" doesn't seem to be a 'standard' one, from what I have seen.

EVERY discography site I've checked seems to list this release as "UICY-2341", but I don't think I've seen that version offered for sale, while I have seen my version with the catalog# 3112-38 on eBay and such. I don't know much about MusicBrainz, but I used their Picard software to check my version of the CD and it tells me "MusicBrainz does not have any CDs with the TOC"... but even MusicBrainz obviously has the WRONG photo for this CD, because it is an Amazon photo and links to a version Amazon lists as being released on February 1, 2005, though MusicBrainz lists it with a release date of 1983... the search continues!

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:59 pm 

I have a copy of Horde's Hellig Usvart of which I'm growing increasingly suspicious. The page for the version I (supposedly) have is here.

First of all, the logo on my copy isn't blackened like on there - it's all white, like on the original.

Second, the official version is labeled as Rowe 002, but mine says Rowe 003. Apparently this is a problem with a few other people's copies as well, as Google searching has pulled up, but I don't know if we all just happen to have fakes.

Third, perhaps the biggest red flag for me, is that my copy doesn't have the bonus track. In fact, track 12, part of the normal album, isn't even listed on the tracklist, though it's still on the actual CD.

The area where it appears there should be a barcode is blank.
The matrix/runout is CRT.INC. L805 8837 ROWE003 L90908-10A
By the way, it's one of those where all the characters in it are backwards/reversed, like you're looking from the wrong side of the disc.

Mould SID code is IFPI 2F59

Does anyone know anything about this?

Edit: If you know anything about this, please send a PM or an e-mail (imperialkodnarok[at]gmail[dot]com) - a couple pages have gone by now, and I'm not going to keep checking every single post here.
Annihilated Pentagram Productions - Kvlt unblack for dark hearts and the left-hand path, not the saved (Luke 5:32). Several releases are free download.
Christ is Lord, there is no other. 2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

Last edited by Of_This_Night36 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dio_For_Ever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:20 pm 

please help me with this, fake or not? i´ve searched at discogs.com but there´s no info of this release

Last edited by Dio_For_Ever on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:23 pm 

^ cursory glance: that matrix doesn't look right at all, where is it from etc?

Dio_For_Ever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:34 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
^ cursory glance: that matrix doesn't look right at all, where is it from etc?

i´ve purchased some time ago in a street fair...

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:03 am 

Matrix looks to be missing the solid line you'd normally get on an EMI disc, font looks dodgy too. I'd say it's a cheap knockoff.

Dio_For_Ever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:40 am 

what about this? no mould code but the mastering sid code is IFPI LB47, the Sonopress logo is in the matrix but can not see clearly:

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:15 am 

That one looks okay, Sonopress has been using that tiny logo graphic for quite some time now. Font also matches a random few of my post-2007 Sonopress discs in comparison.

drobowik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:24 pm 

For me both looks like bootlegs.

First one 100% bootleg.

Saxon - matrix code format looks ok. I have one Gamma Ray promo from that period.
But on mine numbers are smaller and space between them also. Check picture of mine.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:14 pm 

Duh, I missed the one other obvious thing that makes it clear that Saxon CD is a bootleg - the middle part is transparent. All Sonopress discs from 1993 or so have had silver middle area with only about 3mm of clear plastic in the centre edge.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:18 pm 

This doesn't look right to me, stop buying CDs from Argentinian street traders please mate :roll:

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:23 pm 

shadowofadream deleted his posts in this thread :scratch:
I wish people wouldn't do that, we lose valuable info :|
search.php?author_id=263963&sr=posts

Dio_For_Ever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:36 pm 

drobowik wrote:
For me both looks like bootlegs.

First one 100% bootleg.

Saxon - matrix code format looks ok. I have one Gamma Ray promo from that period.
But on mine numbers are smaller and space between them also. Check picture of mine.

About Saxon, does your copy have any ifpi codes? in your cd the sonopress logo is clear in mine is like faded...

Dio_For_Ever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:23 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
This doesn't look right to me, stop buying CDs from Argentinian street traders please mate :roll:

Now i don´t buy from these kind of sellers, but you can understand if i let you know that in 2003 start "the Russian invasion" here in Argentina, a lot of fake cds were introduced to the market and were circling among collectors, then it is very easy to meet with one.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 65  Next