Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KathaarianBlood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:19 pm 

This album is one of the greatest achievements ov the heavy metal world. Intro itself is a reminder of medieval times full ov norse magic and Viking times. A must have in cds/tapes/vinyls collection, you cannot live without it. Base ov Viking/Pagan Black Metal!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:34 pm 

KathaarianBlood wrote:
of-ov...ov... ov

:ugh:

KathaarianBlood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:36 pm 

of of of.. what's the difference? "Eld" is still wonderful album. And will be.. till the end of time.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:10 pm 

I guess he is not used to see the word ov, along with kvlt and nekr0, used in a non-sarcastic manner.

Eld is a good album, and I am especially fond of 793 (Slaget om Lindisfarne). I like the laid back style of riffing, with acoustic guitars and clean vocals, much more than the progressive style they would later adopt. I don't know, it just has a charm to it that is not captured in later albums.

KathaarianBlood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:16 pm 

Recent albums are still on like 5/6, 6/6 notes. Very good music. But that album is something special. Something you can't forget. Like the gates to the after-death world. One of those.. You know what I mean. Fucking brilliant masterpiece! Intro reminds of Dead Can Dance old good times.. MEDIEVAL MYSTERY OF NORDS.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:38 pm 

I like it, myself. It doesn't blow my mind like it does for you but it is a pretty good album. I appreciate the subtle heavy and thrash influences, and the clatter-bonk drum sound rules, even though I'm sure a lot of people hate it.

I find that first track to be too long with some rather uninteresting parts, though.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

KathaarianBlood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:44 pm 

I'm sure the band is proud of their all albums. "Frost" - another great masterwork. They are bigger star than Metallica in alternative heavy metal world after years for sure. Darkthrone and Emperor lost what they achieved years ago..

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:01 pm 

Not sure what you mean by that; Darkthrone today is preferrable to Enslaved as far as I am concerned, although I still find the new Enslaved stuff to be interesting.

VIkingligr Veldi is my favourite, by the way. Sublime album.

KathaarianBlood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:04 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Not sure what you mean by that; Darkthrone today is preferrable to Enslaved as far as I am concerned, although I still find the new Enslaved stuff to be interesting.

Darkthrone preferrable?! Last album was totally disgrace! The one before, "Circle the Wagons" - first good one since 2004. Enslaved crushes all new Darkthrone releases! KRIEG!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:06 pm 

Eld is fantastic. A wonderful listening experience. I fucking love the drumming; he's the Randy Foxe of black metal!

KathaarianBlood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:07 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Eld is fantastic. A wonderful listening experience. I fucking love the drumming; he's the Randy Foxe of black metal!

Thanks!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:00 pm 

KathaarianBlood wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

Darkthrone preferrable?! Last album was totally disgrace! The one before, "Circle the Wagons" - first good one since 2004. Enslaved crushes all new Darkthrone releases! KRIEG!

Drop the attitude, please.

And though I like new Enslaved, some of their stuff is really self indulgent. There's plenty of instances of them dragging out a riff for way too long ("Ethica Odini" being the prime examble). And I for one prefer the simpler material on recent Darkthrone albums.

KathaarianBlood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:23 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Drop the attitude, please.

And though I like new Enslaved, some of their stuff is really self indulgent. There's plenty of instances of them dragging out a riff for way too long ("Ethica Odini" being the prime examble). And I for one prefer the simpler material on recent Darkthrone albums.

Really? Whatever. Enslaved is the best. Darkthrone didn't learn the lesson. That's why guitarist started the new project band..

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:24 pm 

I used to be really into this album as well as the band as a whole quite a bit. Somewhere down the line though, I just completely lost interest. I actually can't remember the last time I've listened to them.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:41 pm 

it's an ok album. after listening pretty heavily to enslaved a few years back (first four albums), i can really only stick through the EP and the debut now. mind you, they're also easily two of the best bm recordings ever, so eh. eld is alright but i get bored after the first song, in truth.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:00 pm 

KathaarianBlood wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Thanks!

Wait, are you taking credit for the album or something? This might be a language barrier, but that response was unexpected and amusing. :)

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:33 pm 

Great album I remember when it came out. I had ordered it through a mail order and finally got it, listen too it like five times a day for a month. I had a party and some stupid drunk bitch spilt her beer all over it, I wanted to kill her! LOL! hard to believe that was almost 17 years ago, crazy how time flies.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:57 pm 

Decent album but it doesn't grab like Frost and Vikingligr Veldi do. That said, I still prefer their recent prog albums to their early stuff.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:32 am 

Listening to it right now, thanks for the reminder. Great album. The drummer sounds like he should be in a prog metal band. Actually, I think I like Enslaved's prog leanings on this album better than their current direction. :oh shit:

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:36 am 

It's decent I guess. The albums suffers from the first song tho, it's too long and not very good either. If it closed the album maybe it would be more rewarding for some.

I'm more much fond of Frost and especially Blodhemn (Eit Auga Til Mimir is their best song ever). The latter stuff is good but not so much in my book. I for instance hate Herbrand's clean vocals and wannabe 70's keyboards. Lacks aggression as well. Essence was their really good track to me.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:43 am 

I always thought that Monumension is their best album. Does anyone share that opinion with me?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:28 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I like it, myself. It doesn't blow my mind like it does for you but it is a pretty good album. I appreciate the subtle heavy and thrash influences, and the clatter-bonk drum sound rules, even though I'm sure a lot of people hate it.

:nods:
Abominatrix wrote:
I find that first track to be too long with some rather uninteresting parts, though.

:|

The first track is my favourite thing about the entire album. I admit that it's perhaps unnecessarily long, and not every second of it is extremely captivating, but it has some beautiful passages, some of the best Enslaved has ever made.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:31 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

:nods:
Abominatrix wrote:

:|

The first track is my favourite thing about the entire album. I admit that it's perhaps unnecessarily long, and not every second of it is extremely captivating, but it has some beautiful passages, some of the best Enslaved has ever made.

yeah, I see what you mean, I think it's mostly that really slow part that repeats twice that I can't stand...it seems to drag on forever and has a really unappealing melody compared to much of the rest of what's going on in the piece.

Acrobat, nice comparison with Randy Fox; I never thought of that but I guess I see what you're getting at!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:04 pm 

Just after the first blast beat passage? I really like that melody!

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:14 pm 

KathaarianBlood wrote:

Act your age, not your height.

Eld is indeed a fabulous album. I love the production, everything sounds crisp and clear, including the drums.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:10 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
yeah, I see what you mean, I think it's mostly that really slow part that repeats twice that I can't stand...it seems to drag on forever and has a really unappealing melody compared to much of the rest of what's going on in the piece.

Yeah, I agree about the uselessness of this part, but the rest of the song is perfect. The clean vocals are among the best within the Viking metal subgenre.

I like Blodhemn too. I stopped following the band after that album.

No one mentioned the Yggdrasill demo, which was really great and epic.

Has anyone heard the Promo '94? I'd like to know if the tracks are the same as in Frost.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:34 pm 

Nice to see some praise for Blodhemn. A lot of people don't rate that album at all. I guess it's somewhat unexpected after Eld, which is a fantastic album and not a sign of things to come but I love it. Vicious, majestic, one of Tagtgren's best production jobs, killer solos from Kronheim.
Anyway, Eld rules but it's Mardraum that is the be all and end all for me.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:18 am 

I haven't studied their back catalogue as much as I would like to, but from what I've read I thought Eld was regarded as their worst album? For this reason and the cheesy cover I haven't checked it out but I probably should now

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:11 am 

Eld (and all of Enslaved albums up to Monumension) are more "progressive" than anything else the band has done for the last several albums as far as I'm concerned. Isa was probably the last Enslaved album that interested me, before they drifted into shoegaze material.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:39 am 

Great album, and probably my favourite one, just slightly above Frost. On this album they've really found the perfect balance between black metal elements and the "viking" influence that was soon to be lost. On par with other viking metal classics from Norway, Av Norron Aett, Dawn of the Dying Sun, Arntor, Mellom Skogkledde Aaser.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:13 am 

schizoid wrote:
Eld (and all of Enslaved albums up to Monumension) are more "progressive" than anything else the band has done for the last several albums as far as I'm concerned. Isa was probably the last Enslaved album that interested me, before they drifted into shoegaze material.

Are you kidding me?

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:17 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
schizoid wrote:

Are you kidding me?

Nope. Why's that?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:21 am 

Because they don't have shoegaze material? Progressive rock sure, but that was mostly prevalent in Vertebrae, which I find to be one of their greatest albums.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:31 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Because they don't have shoegaze material? Progressive rock sure, but that was mostly prevalent in Vertebrae, which I find to be one of their greatest albums.

How is recent material more "progressive"? all I hear TBH is slower, simpler and more predictable music, with the added touch of clean vocals. As oppose to older material, where each album offered something different, as I think this thread may well illustrate.

I may have used the term "shoegaze" more to provoke a reaction more than anything, but I still think my view in the above paragraph stands. People seem to view only recent Enslaved albums as progressive, I however see them as something of a stagnation compared to the innovation present on earlier material.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:47 am 

I'm not that familiar with Enslaved's discography before Below The Lights, ( listented to a couple of tracks from Frost, wasn't that impressed) so you may be right about them being more experimental earlier in their career. I can't really comment on that. However I was only commenting on you calling present Enslaved shoegaze, which is just silly.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
I'm not that familiar with Enslaved's discography before Below The Lights, ( listented to a couple of tracks from Frost, wasn't that impressed) so you may be right about them being more experimental earlier in their career. I can't really comment on that. However I was only commenting on you calling present Enslaved shoegaze, which is just silly.

in that case, you may need a lesson in what Enslaved were up to prior to Below the Lights (a good album in its own right).

Enslaved has always been a progressive band, yes, blast beats, tremolo riffs and all.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:12 am 

They have always been a progressive band in the sense of experimentation and differences between albums, but they haven't always been progressive metal/rock genre wise. I think that is where you are making the mistake when talking about how people only view recent Enslaved as progressive. Because only the recent albums are actually mostly progressive metal/rock. Doesn't have anything to do with how intricate the music is.

Good song by the way, but it does't come near post Below The Lights for me.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:17 am 

Since this has turned into general Enslaved discussion I'll throw in my own two cents: Does anyone else feel Ruun was the height of their prog material? You've got that triumphant, inspiring opening track, the smooth Middle-Eastern sounds and tremolo riffing in the title track, that foreboding buildup in Tides of Chaos...The production is nice and crisp without being overly clean (unlike Vertebrae), songs are just the right length, and every song is a strong point, whereas I even found Axioma and Riitiir to lag in a few places. Verterbrae I could never really get into; feels like they went too far off the prog-rock deep end there and every song (save New Dawn, which is awesome) just kind of ambles around.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:25 am 

Well that's where it gets tricky. Because typically when one talks of Progressive Rock, you will be referencing Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, ELP, etc...

Whether rock, metal, whatever, I'd still argue earlier Enslaved albums have more in common with this style of music to a degree. But more to the point, I feel Enslaved were more on a creative roll, right up to somewhere roughly mid point into the 2000's.

EDIT: Post was ninja'd by previous one, but I'd have to disagree, Ruun is about where I started losing interest, albeit having a few decent tracks. That and the fact you refer to it as their prog material, something I've just been arguing against for the last several posts!

Last edited by schizoid on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:33 am 

Ruun is a good album, but I have always considered it to be "that album between those two better albums". It just feels very safe to me. Like they didn't yet dare to go all out prog rock like they did on Vertebrae. On the other side you have Isa, which is just a little bit rawer than Ruun, has better songwriting, and better pacing. Ruun just isn't all that exciting to listen to, and the songs tend to blend together whenever I listen to it.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next