Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:44 pm 

a show that is really just scratching the surface. most would like more heavier modern bands instead of the old re hashed bands from the past. i think it should have a mixture of the old and new instead of from what i've seen a focus on the old school metal bands from the 80's.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:47 pm 

The audience is made up of 45 year old housewifes and a bunch of trailer trash in motorhead and vh shirts. Lame...

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:56 pm 

The show is far from perfect, but it's the closest it's come to a great metal show on TV than anything else ever really. I'd rather have a show like this than any of the garbage by Metal Sanaz, Mistress Juliya, Iann Robinson, or the "new" Headbangers Ball. It felt like all those show was just fucking awful extreme metal, with Sabbath, Maiden, Priest and Motorhead having to fight just to get their biggest hit we've all heard 1000 times on there.

Fuck modern metal. I'll take a show that talks non-stop about the non glam 70s and 80s any day of the week. Bands like Poison, Cheap Trick and Stryper do not belong on that show though.

I also hate how when they do focus on modern metal bands, it's the bands that all the old fans hate and are the reason why they are stuck in the 80s in the first place. Instead of Slipknot they should have High On Fire. Instead of Creed they should Gamma Ray. Instead of Marilyn Manson they should have Alexi Laiho. Instead of Distrubed they should have Blind Guardian. I could go on but you get my drift.

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:35 pm 

Well, it does bill itself as "Heavy metal *and* hard rock", but I still can't get over the fact that most of it is technically late '80s glam and a little early '80s NWOBHM.

What would I do if I had my own metal show?
Yes, some discussion and interviews with artists, but why not a jam session? Why not dig through today's drivel to find some kickass traditional metal, doom metal, neo-NWOBHM styled metal, thrash, and whatnot and play those as videos or songs? Why not have a session where everyone with long hair and demin jackets gets a guitar or drums and headbangs?
Debate which song has the best solo? Nice, but let's see who can pull off the best solo.
Get Tony Iommi paired with Eddie Van Halen or Steve Harris and let's see them go to town on a 5 minute long solo n' riff pair.
And that's the start of the show.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:16 pm 

I love 70's/early 80's Kiss. They're the band that got me into hard rock as a kid, and I still listen to them all the time. But holy shit, Eddie Trunk really needs to get off that band's nuts.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:29 pm 

I've seen a handful of episodes and personally give it a thumbs down. I understand it's VH1/Eddie Trunk/whatever but even within (and I guess because of) these boundaries there is a bit too much repetition and sterility. In addition to this the hosts are not likeable. I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate them, but they push it at times. Oh yeah, they have some 'hot' girl performing tasks that should probably just be automated right?

Also, between the guests they interview and the ones they have playing in and out of commercials I end up vaguely depressed. Sure there are some good ones but usually I get the vibe that this person is semi-washed up making crappy "metal" and by being on 'That Metal Show' THEY are the ones getting the better end of the deal based on the fact that they might make some new fans (god help those people). That may be harsh and a bit extreme (whoops no extremity allowed) and like I said there are some cool guests (Halford, Lemmy, apparently King Diamond), but on average I feel like I'm watching the guests and hosts using each other as deflating life boats.

If you are actually into metal it's not worth the time imo.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3