Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:44 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
That build up opening "The Web" is one of the most chilling intros I've ever heard.

I hear you! Gets in my skin as well, in a good way. :)

As for reviewing Neurosis I think it's one of those bands which I simply can't write or give scores to in an objective manner. I've tried starting a few times but I simply can't write anything that makes it justice, or maybe it's just a case of lack of confidence in that matter. The band and its albums mean so much to me that I wouldn't know where and how to even start I guess.

Damn, if I had to pick scores for those seven album I'd be in for a bit of a meltdown! :D

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:38 am 

cool, just tripped over and bought a copy of 'times of grace' hopefully it'll turn up on tuesday

arepa_your_mom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:29 am 

Neurosis is a band I'll always know and love for a few reasons. I went through a few weird (and sometimes embarrassing) phases in my life but I'm glad I was at a show one day and noticed this guy wearing a very badass t-shirt that happened to feature neurosis. A couple months earlier I found Isis and absolutely loved the sound, and I was thrilled to find that neurosis were along those same lines. I love both bands but finding neurosis and listening to through silver in blood (the first album of theirs I heard) made me a fan for life. It still blows me away to this day and yet I agree with a lot of people in this thread that they just get better with time. Musical catharsis at it's best. They definitely opened my eyes to what metal could (and should) be.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:09 pm 

Been listening to assorted tracks on Youtube and I really like this band, actually. I usually don't bother with this sort of music, but now I'm thinking that was a mistake. There's just something really powerful about this kind of airy, mystical atmospheric sort of stuff...dunno if I'd call it metal at all, but it's really good. I think I'll buy an album or two when I get my next paycheck in - I'm thinking Through Silver in Blood and The Sun That Never Sets based off my listenings so far. Seems like it's a toss-up either way though, as all their albums are pretty equally well liked...

PostMetalActivist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:12 pm 

Edited to prevent any more panties bunching

Suffice to say, can't wait for release day.

Last edited by PostMetalActivist on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:27 pm 

PostMetalActivist wrote:
Anyone know if the new album leaked yet? I want give it a listen through before I spend any monies...

:nono:

@ Emp - Glad to have another addition to the ranks. I believe it's the band's mission to slowly but steadily take over the world! :D

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:12 pm 

PostMetalActivist wrote:
Anyone know if the new album leaked yet? I want give it a listen through before I spend any monies...

This is the second time you commented on the album leaking... just shut the fuck up and wait like the rest of us. Nobody gives a shit about your downloading habits.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:01 pm 

PostMetalActivist wrote:

Just Google search "has it leaked?" the next time you feel the need to ask this question. Do you know how to use Google?

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:27 pm 

Cool to see you enjoying Neurosis, Empyreal. If I'm not mistake you're usually pretty concerned with classic/power metal spectrum so Its nice to see a new Neurosis fan! Definitely one of those bands you usually have to be in the mood for but they really are perfect for many occasions. A listening of one of their albums can aid in times of hate and in times of sorrow. Always so good.

Origin89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:29 pm 

Neurosis kicks ass. I just got into these guys and I don't know why I hadn't sooner. The atmosphere and emotion is fucking unreal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:54 pm 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Cool to see you enjoying Neurosis, Empyreal. If I'm not mistake you're usually pretty concerned with classic/power metal spectrum so Its nice to see a new Neurosis fan! Definitely one of those bands you usually have to be in the mood for but they really are perfect for many occasions. A listening of one of their albums can aid in times of hate and in times of sorrow. Always so good.

Liking Alice in Chains' Dirt album certainly helped me transition into this sort of stuff.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:29 pm 

Neurosis has answered my prayers!

PostMetalActivist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:01 pm 

Cinerary wrote:
PostMetalActivist wrote:

This is the second time you commented on the album leaking... just shut the fuck up and wait like the rest of us. Nobody gives a shit about your downloading habits.

My bad, didn't know you were so sensitive.

Forgot I posted once before, I have bad memory, big deal, not worth getting your panties in a bunch. With like 35 posts per page, it's tough to see if you posted already sometimes. I edited the post though, hope it gets rid of that stick in your butt.

As someone who listens to Neurosis on a daily basis for years now, I think I have the right to be excited and want to hear the damn music already.

Going to purchase it on release day, I like most people though would like to hear a track or two before I buy.

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:19 pm 

They're not the easiest band to digest which makes it easy to dismiss them upon first listen. Not that they're technical or avant garde for the sake of being different, they build layers stumped upon raw and difficult emotions. The last Neurosis disc I got was A Sun That Never Sets, and after about 10-12 listens it's finally sinking in. What's unique about it though is that the title track (along with maybe Locust Star and stuff off of Given to the Rising) is one of their most straight-forward, shorter tracks that immediately grabs you. And there's other things that are discovered that aren't 'there' initially - the beautiful melancholy section of Crawl Back In @ 4:00, the ending of No River To Take Me Home, or the ferocity of the riff to The Doorway. A great intro for anyone would be the live version of Locust Star from an Ozzfest that was turned into a video. Sheer power.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:08 pm 

I consider The Doorway to be pretty much the most crushing song ever recorded. As heavy as it gets.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:24 pm 

Cinerary wrote:
PostMetalActivist wrote:

He wants to hear it, how the hell do you know if he has no plans on buying it, calm down Mr.Morals :roll:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:50 pm 

PostMetalActivist wrote:
Edited to prevent any more panties bunching

:lol:
Veracs wrote:
He wants to hear it, how the hell do you know if he has no plans on buying it, calm down Mr.Morals :roll:

Yeah, 'cause I totally mentioned he had no intention of buying it. Maybe I can recommend this?

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:07 pm 

Yeah, because people don't bash those evil downloaders because they're stealing from the massive amounts of album sales. Nice try Mr.Morals.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:18 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Yeah, because people don't bash those evil downloaders because they're stealing from the massive amounts of album sales. Nice try Mr.Morals.

:lol: Oh, please. Yes, my comment had everything to do with all the evil pirates who steal and not somebody who asked about a leak repeatedly two weeks after the thing was announced.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:31 pm 

Yeah, right because normal people rage quit over someone that is clearly just eager to download and listen to a new album.

Under_Starmere wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:13 am 

Cinerary is right, Veracs is wrong. It's simple.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19 am 

/unsubscribed

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:23 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
/unsubscribed

Well, that was an useless post, eh.

Also, I'm enjoying Steve Von Till / Scott Kelly & Wino's Songs of Townes Van Zandt a lot these days, also the solo careers of the 2 Neurosis dudes, I'll jump in the bath of this awesome band again before the release of their new album.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:29 am 

Was I the one who recommended those to you mate? Great fucking albums.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:03 am 

Yeah, you were, I've been lenient towards these guys though. Forgot to check them out and shit.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:13 am 

Neurosis will always be one of my favorite bands. I appreciate their craft and spirit and I am happily looking forward to the next album.
"Souls At Zero" and "A Sun That Never Sets" are my fave albums.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:24 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Also, I'm enjoying Steve Von Till / Scott Kelly & Wino's Songs of Townes Van Zandt a lot these days, also the solo careers of the 2 Neurosis dudes, I'll jump in the bath of this awesome band again before the release of their new album.

I'm loving that split. I especially like the ambient/psychedelic undertones in Steve Von Till's cover of "The Snake Song". The only cover I don't love is Wino's "Rake". I just don't feel that his version does the original justice.

I've been thinking a bit more about the whole "Neurosis's signature sound starts on Through Silver In Blood" thing. While I still absolutely disagree that Enemy of the Sun doesn't have that classic Neurosis sound, I'm starting to see what he meant about Souls at Zero. To me, Souls seems to be the outlier in their discography. Unlike all their other extreme metal albums, it doesn't feel very sludgy. There are more orthodox riffs on that album and it is a bit more immediate and a bit less about the flow (keep in mind that Souls is my favourite album by them). It had a different vibe, it totally felt crust influenced and they never did leads like they did on that album again. In interview Steve talks about how after Souls they realized instead of a cerebral approach to making the music, it would be better to "do it from the gut". So yeah, while I feel Souls is the start of the Neurosis sound, Enemy of the Sun is where that sound is solidified. Enemy has the flow, has more room to breathe and is the start of Neurosis's sludge riffing.

Also, to the guy who keeps asking for a leak and says he needs a sample before buying the album - has Neurosis really ever let their fan's down? They obviously give everything they have into every album and everything since Souls has been amazing (hell, I even think Pain of Mind was great). I think it will be pretty safe to say if your a Neurosis fan this will be worth your money.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:49 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
It had a different vibe, it totally felt crust influenced and they never did leads like they did on that album again.

That's a great way of putting it. Even more fitting, I think, when you remember it was actually released on Alternative Tentacles. You can definitely feel the Crass and Flux of Pink Indians styled influences there.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:17 pm 

They just posted the tracklisting and album art!

http://www.earsplitcompound.com/site/20 ... -in-decay/

Don't know what I think of the album art, yet!

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:22 pm 

That color scheme is really god damn appealing. I don't know what I think about it as a cover, but it's definitely attractive.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:17 pm 

Woah, that album art is cool.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:33 pm 

I've made up my mind, it looks great... Really different!

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:12 am 

The artwork looks like it has a Mayan feel to it. Maybe something more towards "EotS"? Probably not, but one can dream...

On another side note (this thread is full of them), has anyone else listened to Scott Kelly's latest solo album, "The Forgiven Ghost in Me"? It's freaking awesome. I put a review up for it.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:47 am 

It's as cryptic as mesmerizing. :)

Maybe its just me but I do get a feeling of turmoil and rage coming from this album, at least based solely on the feeling I get from the cover art and track list. Anyone else shares that feeling?

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:05 pm 

Graham said that the music was extremely claustrophobic and intense on this record. So it might mean it is angrier...

Also the artwork, with the bones has this norse wibe over, or generally tribish-feel. With arrows and glyphs/runes etc.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:19 pm 

Ribos wrote:
Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Someone, please show me how to do Neurosis right so I can stop feeling like such a loser!

You being the person that got me to finally check out Sigh (thanks, pal), I'll say that the correct setting is essential. You can't just listen to Neurosis anywhere or anytime. You cannot force yourself to see the appeal. There are times, however, when a feeling (perhaps a need would be a better word) arises and only Neurosis can cater to that. I guess that in need of catharsis, Neurosis is the catalyst. Hope I don't sound like an idiot.

GodheadsDamnation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:05 am 

That album art is really interesting, actually I really like it!

Kinda gives you the idea of how the music behind it will be.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:12 pm 

Artwork is indeed interesting but track listing sucks

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:30 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
but track listing sucks

What the fuck does this even mean?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak