Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:30 pm 

Speaking about Classics!!! haha, yesterday I took my Motorhead albums (Ace of Spades , 1916, Orgasmatron, March or Die and Bastards) and gave em a listen after 2 years more or less. I realize that Lemmy is the fucking King, he can pull out the same album year after year, with some ups and downs of course, but he has a very effective formula, and from time to time is healthy to listen to his unpolished vocals. Motorhead is a band that can play songs like 1916 and Don´t let daddy kiss me and sound as true and heavy as Ace of Spades or Burner. Great band, hope they keep rocking forever, even if I listen to them from time to time.
So, what you guys think, does Lemmy and co. get all the credit they deserve?, is MH overrated?, does MH means anything for metal in general? and to you?
Not hearsay but the will of man

breeze kneeze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:36 pm 

I dunno. I avoid motorhead for the most part because I don't want something that sounds the same over and over again. I have a good respect for the band though in their own right. Some of the stuff i've listened to is descent.

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:57 pm 

I enjoy Motörhead quite a bit, but the only material I own is a 2CD "Greatest Hits" type compilation. It's got most of the essentials/classics. I've never had any desire to get anything beyond that release as most of it is so repetitive IMO.

EDIT: I have seen them live twice though. Awesome; and LOUD, of course. :headbang:

Last edited by The_Minstrel51 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:59 pm 

Yeah, I dig me some Motörhead. I had something of a marathon of theirs the other day and it really hit the spot. There's something comforting for me in the fact that I can take virtually any album from their lineup and know beforehand exactly what I'm going to get, with maybe a couple exceptions. As far as being overrated? Bah, they deserve the hype. Staying consistent for over thirty years is something to laud.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:02 pm 

Great classic band that deserves all the respect they get. Of the albums I own, "Bomber" is my favorite.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:40 pm 

Its like the Ac/Dc of metal. They always pull the same songs and sound but they keep cool,fresh and heavy.
Its something weird, you can play what they play, you can sing about the stuff they sing, you can be a much more skilled musician
yet you will never be better than them xD.
Im more like a prog guy but i love Motorhead as simple as it is. Their influence in metal is undeniable even if they are
not the best musicians ever.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Umodian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:49 pm 

Been on quite the 'head run lately myself. I personally think they deserve more credit. Thing is, they DON'T just release the same thing over and over again. There's quite a bit of variety to be found if you're willing to listen a bit further.
That said, it's still Motörhead, why fix it if it ain't broke right? Definitely one of the most consistent bands around, wouldn't want it any other way.

Oh and obligatory "Lemmy is god".

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:11 pm 

I remember I was driving back home from work last week and blaring Motorhead's "Born To Raise Hell" with the windows rolled down. There was a guy on the side of the road that was playing air guitar to the song on his Cash For Gold sign. It pretty much made my night.

But yeah, Motorhead is awesome. Inferno is probably my favorite though Ace of Spades and Orgasmatron aren't far behind.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:14 pm 

I like Orgasmatron quite a bit, it seems they opted for an edgier, sharper sound on that one, and the lyrics fucking rip, especially on the title track. I've only heard a couple of albums but wasn't as impressed. I'll eventually listen to some more of their material and see if anything compares to Orgasmatron for me.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:21 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
I'll eventually listen to some more of their material and see if anything compares to Orgasmatron for me.

IRON. FIST.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:51 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
But yeah, Motorhead is awesome. Inferno is probably my favorite though Ace of Spades and Orgasmatron aren't far behind.

This pretty much sums it up for me, but fold the Ace of Spades and play Overkill.
Like others have said, I think they have a lot of undiscovered variety and even though it can seem formulaic and you will always know when it's Motorhead playing. One of those bands you can put on shuffle and be content with.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:12 am 

No Sleep Til Hammersmith always does the job for me.

Illuminati322
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:26 am 

I'm more a song than an album guy, but I do think 'Overkill' is one of the greatest metal songs of all time, or at least certainly in my Top 10. I like Motorhead from a historical perspective, and listening for their influence on speed, thrash, and first generation black metal.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:14 am 

i'm thinking of getting a 'best of' or at least a couple of albums, any recommendations?
the only album i've heard is ace of spades, i liked it.

Umodian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:32 am 

My favorite is between Bomber and Overkill, with Orgasmatron being right behind. But of course nothing beats "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith". :D

dreadmeat wrote:
i'm thinking of getting a 'best of' or at least a couple of albums, any recommendations?

Well you can't go wrong with "No Remorse". But if you're willing to pay a bit more, they released a really cheap boxset simpled entitled "Album Boxset", it contains Overkill, Bomber, Ace of Spades, No Sleep 'til Hammersmith, Iron Fist and Another Perfect Day.
I don't know where you usually buy albums, but here's a link to it on Amazon.com, looks like you can grab it for just 23 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Album-Boxset-Moto ... B007X1ZR3E

StratGuy888
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:52 am 

Lemmy is one of the ultimate frontmen....cool, badass and with an undeniable stage presence.

He doesn't jump around a lot because he doesn't need to.

I remember seeing them at Donnington in (from bad memory) '86.....

...someone threw a bottle that nearly hit him, and he stopped the song and threatened to leave the stage and sort out the next person that threw anything.

...out of 100,000 people not one more bottle was thrown at the stage :)

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:00 am 

The last Motorhead album that I really loved was Bastards, but you have to figure between '77 and '93 they really pumped out a lot of great songs. Everything from Sacrifice and on is alright, but nothing I'm going to listen to more than once a year. I'd say Lemmy and crew get all the credit they deserve. Much respect for the man.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:21 am 

I love Motorhead. Yeah, they've got a formula, but they do it well. I might get tired of it if I listened to it for hours on end, but I can sit through most of their albums without getting bored (March or Die is the only really weak album, IMO). Everyone, myself included, likes the classic line up but I think the Lemmy/Campbell/Dee line up is just as good and Mikkey Dee is the best drummer they ever had. I always look forward to a new Motorhead album and they are killer live.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:05 pm 

I got into Motorhead all at once, so I don't really have any one personal classic (there are the obvious go to classics, but yeah). Good music is good music. Simple enough reasoning for me on Motorhead having the same relative style for so long. If I want to listen to something different, then I will. I don't understand how it could be a turn off. It is like what if bands like Metallica or Arsis put out their first couple albums, a la same manner to Motorhead, again and again, in stead of the relative garbage they have been? That would be awesome and so too is Motorhead.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:05 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
(March or Die is the only really weak album, IMO).

But the title track kicks serious ass!!!
Oh, and 1916 is a great album, perhaps the best lyrics Lemmy pulled out
Not hearsay but the will of man

EternalOath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 pm 

Got a scalped ticket to Mayhem Fest just to see them and they still rip! Even in front of a bunch of dumbfuck juggalos. Ace of Spades, Overkill, Bomber, and Orgasmatron are all timeless as far as I'm concerned

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:46 pm 

i had to google juggalo :roll: :panda:

AreYouGammaRay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:52 pm 

All Motorhead is great but my fave would probably be Overkill.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:24 am 

dreadmeat wrote:

I'm not sure if I envy you for having gone so long without knowing or pity you for having just found out.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:09 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
i had to google juggalo

I'm not sure if I envy you for having gone so long without knowing or pity you for having just found out.

this may explain it: about 3 weeks ago i accidentally bought an icp cd because it was in the metal sale section...
needless to say when i played it at home i knew something was wrong [i didn't realise that was an anagram for insane clown posse]
remember i live in new zealand too man, so not knowing about some really specific slang term for some group of 'individuals' isn't that hard to believe :p

i found a castle masters motorhead compilation, could be a good way to explore their stuff a bit, hopefully it's not too old as i'd like to hear their newer stuff too.
looks good? it's $5 nzd

1 Motorhead (Live)
2 Overkill
3 Talking Head
4 Rock It
5 Iron Fist
6 I Got Mine
7 Steal Your Face
8 (We Are) The Road Crew
9 Snaggletooth
10 Stay Clean
11 Iron Horse (Live)
12 One Track Mind
13 Speedfreak
14 Loser
15 (Don't Need) Religion
16 Stone Dead Forever
17 Sweet Revenge
18 Capricorn
19 Love Me Like A Reptile
20 Ace Of Spades

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:30 am 

Some great albums and since I don't need so much variations of the same I'll stick with the best ones. Lemmy is not a god but a talented musician.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Bloody Nine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:48 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:

Get the "Everything Louder than Everything Else" album. It's a live show they played sometime in the late 90's, I think. They basically play all their best songs. The second CD fucking dominates.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:48 pm 

ok cool, thanks man.

hey when did Overkill first get put on cd? i just found a copy from 1991, the album came out in 1979 though.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:47 am 

They're a great band. I've never get bored of them, but i have listened mostly to their first 4 albums. So, i don't know you, but for me, i found them very interesting, like a perfect mix of Rock & Roll, Punk Rock and Heavy Metal, and of them ''Overkill'' is my favorite, the more Heavy oriented, so to speak. Maybe precisely, is that mix of genres who made their sound so catchy.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:53 am 

i like metal much more than rock, so that's a good thing to hear.
lemmy himself says they aren't "heavy metal" they are rock 'n' roll, ha ha

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:06 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
this may explain it: about 3 weeks ago i accidentally bought an icp cd because it was in the metal sale section...
needless to say when i played it at home i knew something was wrong [i didn't realise that was an anagram for insane clown posse]
remember i live in new zealand too man, so not knowing about some really specific slang term for some group of 'individuals' isn't that hard to believe :p

I just don't get this. I've seen ICP CDs in most metal sections in stores. Do store clerks just think they have metal-looking covers?

But to the topic at hand, Motorhead has to be the most consistent band out there. Who else comes close to having such a solid, largely unchanging sound to their discography? Amon Amarth?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:19 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
I just don't get this. I've seen ICP CDs in most metal sections in stores. Do store clerks just think they have metal-looking covers?
the metal section in this particular shop has korn, limp bizkit etc too so yeah, also hardcore goes in the metal and alternative section too
i recently discovered i actually like hardcore, i bought a few cheap cds that looked metallic, i consider that a bonus though :grin:
edit: this was on smn today: http://www.smnnews.com/2012/08/10/icp-to-sue-the-fbi-over-juggalos/

back to motorhead, the categories my local music chop uses, motorhead must be in the rock section, there isn't much in the metal section to choose from...
maybe they have a motorhead/hawkwind section ha ha :p

Last edited by dreadmeat on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:28 pm 

Motorhead have definitely put out quite a few great albums over the years, so I'd definitely be a fan even if some their stuff is a little bit repetitive. In regards to the whole, "Should Motorhead get the credit they deserve" question, I'd say yes because they've been so consistent over the years and consistent in the face of changes within the band and changes within the metal world and beyond.

My favourite Motorhead album would be Overkill, possibly because of the timelessness of it.

The Prophet Muhammad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:00 pm 

Motorhead is fucking fantastic. Great driving music, great music to bang to, great music to drink beer to. Success is the combination of all three.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:50 am 

Fuckin love motorhead... one of the few bands I can count on to never let me down... also one of the few I have never tired of in over 20 years of listening... hail Sir Lemmy!

I like the sound of that actually... knight the bugger Liz!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:58 am 

sir ian :roll: :lol:

EternalOath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:40 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:

Hahahaha, made my day

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:17 am 

Listened or Orgasmatron on my road trip from New York today. Great album! It occurs to me that it's 3/4 crazy Motorhead speed metal numbers! And the other songs are pretty much unbeatable anthems. They may have records with better riffs but almost nothing can match Orgasmatron's intensity.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:12 am 

Orgasmatron rules, and Pete Gill's drumming is really excellent.

Hawksword192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:31 pm 

On Parole is my favorite. You get the sense of what Motorhead was originally supposed to be, dirty rock n' roll played quickly with blistering solos. I find it extremely addicting with every song being a must listen to. I always felt this album was extremely different from all the other Motorhead albums other than the self-titled, as if gaining Fast Eddie changed the influence of the band that the Pink Fairies guitarist had brought in.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next