Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4537
Location: 50 Forts Along the Rhine
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:31 am 
 

The Prophet Muhammad wrote:
I write about Islam because I do not feel that it should be exempt from criticism.

Yet you seem to specialise in polemics.

Quote:
I do not believe in censorship of any form, I despise misogyny, religious zealotry, proselytizing, dress codes, dietary restrictions, and any other form of human control.

You know that if you keep people from practicing their religion it is a form of human control, right?

Quote:
The fact that Islam steps on more of my morals and beliefs than the other two Abrahamic religions is a fortunate coincidence. It makes it infinitely more enjoyable to mock their ridiculous doctrines, knowing that so much as an exemption of (PBUH) after the lowly prophet's name is enough to have my head cut off.

Oh you are so brave. Always standing up for what's right in the face of mortal danger. Get a room with your ego already.

Quote:
Christians do not even bat an eyelash to the constant berating and blaspheming they receive from metal bands, and that is the way it should be.

Why should they? Christianity is comfortably embedded in the heart of western capitalist society. Thy can laugh off most insults because they know the system has got their back. Islam still to some extent opposes capitalist dogma where it conflicts with their own dogma and is therefore fought by the capitalist system.

The Prophet Muhammad wrote:
Why should Islam escape unscathed? The filthiest of them all..

The one beaten down never looks pretty. Get a history textbook and grow up.
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Top
 Profile  
Indecency
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:15 pm
Posts: 575
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:54 pm 
 

Burnyoursins wrote:
I hate to rain down on your parade there, bud. But in fact, metal IS pretty popular here in Canada. There are a lot of metalheads. The problem is lack of centralization. You won't find a specifically metal bar in Edmonton, but you can sure find a specifically Blues bar in Edmonton. And it's people like you that are the reason for that. People don't think they can sell a bar like that, when in fact, it could be very, very successful.


People like me? You mean people who go to shows, big and local, are these reason metal bars don't exist? Hey man, I'd love for metal to get big. And I know metal is bigger than it seems what with all the closet metalheads who give no indication to the public that they like metal. But there's a reason only a few metal bands ever consistently make it to regular radio. I'm sure every single person in this entire forum has experienced the situation where they play their music in front of person and that person berates the music. Metal is the worst for that. Most of the people who don't like it can't even tolerate as opposed to electro or house or alt rock or something.

Also, why are you talking about Edmonton? Are you from there or did you somehow know I'm from there?

Top
 Profile  
CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 pm
Posts: 202
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:34 pm 
 

The Prophet Muhammad wrote:
I write about Islam because I do not feel that it should be exempt from criticism. I do not believe in censorship of any form, I despise misogyny, religious zealotry, proselytizing, dress codes, dietary restrictions, and any other form of human control. Religion may arguably have had a purpose hundreds of years ago when there was no other way to understand some of the more complex inner-workings of this world. It is a divisive political system used to control primitive human beings that is already being phased out as its moral-teachings and credibility spiral further and further into the abyss.

The fact that Islam steps on more of my morals and beliefs than the other two Abrahamic religions is a fortunate coincidence. It makes it infinitely more enjoyable to mock their ridiculous doctrines, knowing that so much as an exemption of (PBUH) after the lowly prophet's name is enough to have my head cut off. I enjoy crossing the line, and attempt to do so to the furthest extent possible. I would be writing about it anyway, because nobody else has done it to a satisfactory level (in my mind), and there is nothing groundbreaking about 100,000 more black metal albums picking on Christians or Jews. Christians do not even bat an eyelash to the constant berating and blaspheming they receive from metal bands, and that is the way it should be. Why should Islam escape unscathed? The filthiest of them all..


This thread is most likely going to be locked, but let me just say that I completely agree with you.
Somehow Christianity is the biggest threat in the world and Islam is the victim. Oh wait, that's right, who was it that shot a 14 year old girl just for going to school?
I have many friends who are Muslims, and most of them just want to worship peacefully and live their own lives, but Muslims in general have a tendency to want to force their religion on others much more than Christians do.
What Christians did in the middle ages is exactly what Muslims are doing today.

What I don't like is that anyone can bash Christians, but when you say anything against Islam, you are literally risking your life, especially if you live in a Muslim country. Name one black metal musician who got killed for speaking out against Christianity...

Ok one last thing before I get kicked off for being "too unmetally." Black metal is (imo) a lot about Norse culture/heritage. At least protestant Christianity was founded in Europe. Islam is not European. Why are you defending it?
_________________
"Black metal is the anger within. Black metal is the suppressed emotions. Black metal is devoid of all man.
Black metal is the forest calling..."
-Striborg

Top
 Profile  
Megadeth
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 481
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:38 pm 
 

CrypticMonk wrote:
Somehow Christianity is the biggest threat in the world and Islam is the victim. Oh wait, that's right, who was it that shot a 14 year old girl just for going to school?

A member of a terrorist network. Who is it that shoots and kills 10000 fellow citizens every year?

CrypticMonk wrote:
What Christians did in the middle ages is exactly what Muslims are doing today.

Christianity in the Middle Ages was lead by a powerful universal organization. What you consider "the same" is not official, but some random individual extremists' personal interpretations and explitations. They are essentially the equivilants of pastor Terry Jones and the Westminister Baptist Church, placed in some of the poorest, least developed and most exploited areas of the world, and then spit on by the rest of the world.

The irony is that Americans believe that they are so much better, but would be willing to do a lot more sick stuff to foreigners than Taliban, if they were in a similar situation. The following quote is another indication of that. What is "right" for many Americans is based on nothing but how it's related to their own geographical history. Stop bothering about who's American for once and start bothering about who's human.

CrypticMonk wrote:
Ok one last thing before I get kicked off for being "too unmetally." Black metal is (imo) a lot about Norse culture/heritage. At least protestant Christianity was founded in Europe. Islam is not European. Why are you defending it?

That's like saying that Europeans shouldn't ever defend any Americans just because they're on a different continent.

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4537
Location: 50 Forts Along the Rhine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:09 pm 
 

Quote:
Somehow Christianity is the biggest threat in the world and Islam is the victim. Oh wait, that's right, who was it that shot a 14 year old girl just for going to school?

You are simply badly informed if you think that such crimes aren't committed in the name of christianity. It's called tunnel vision and has something to do with selective media coverage. Christians also tend to be more... discreet about such things.

Quote:
I have many friends who are Muslims, and most of them just want to worship peacefully and live their own lives, but Muslims in general have a tendency to want to force their religion on others much more than Christians do.

To recap: The muslims you personally know are nice guys, yet you demonize their religion for... whatever unnamed reason.

Quote:
What Christians did in the middle ages is exactly what Muslims are doing today.

What? They live in feudal systems based on agrarian production? Education is only availiable to clerics? They possess no noteweorthy concept of hygiene?

Quote:
What I don't like is that anyone can bash Christians, but when you say anything against Islam, you are literally risking your life, especially if you live in a Muslim country. Name one black metal musician who got killed for speaking out against Christianity...

Like anyone except metal fans gives a shit about black metal lunatics. Everybody says speaking out against Islam is dangerous because, like, two people got killed. It's fucking hilarious. I bet more people get killed for being pro choice in america.

Quote:
Ok one last thing before I get kicked off for being "too unmetally." Black metal is (imo) a lot about Norse culture/heritage. At least protestant Christianity was founded in Europe. Islam is not European. Why are you defending it?

What? So we've got to root for an ideology because it is a local one and fight another one because it's not?
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Top
 Profile  
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 5344
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:14 pm 
 

Historical deconstructivism and counting up of corpses and see who has suffered the most leads to nothing.
_________________

I write for these magazines:
http://swirlsofnoise.com/
http://againstmagazine.com/

Analysis of band names:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103987

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4537
Location: 50 Forts Along the Rhine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:18 pm 
 

I don't think you understand that I'm criticizing someone else's argumentation.
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Top
 Profile  
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 5344
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:20 pm 
 

that had not been directed towards you but something that should be mentioned generally.

The best example why this should not be done is the Israel/Palestine conflict.
_________________

I write for these magazines:
http://swirlsofnoise.com/
http://againstmagazine.com/

Analysis of band names:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103987

Top
 Profile  
Apteronotus
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:07 am
Posts: 856
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:26 pm 
 

Megadeth, if you don't want to sound like you are sticking up for one group while stereotyping and demonizing another you should rephrase the whole "Americans believe that they are so much better, but would be willing to do a lot more sick stuff to foreigners than Taliban, if they were in a similar situation."
_________________
The very cool Blog/Distro/Label I review for: http://www.contaminatedtones.blogspot.com

Top
 Profile  
Megadeth
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 481
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:07 pm 
 

Apteronotus wrote:
Megadeth, if you don't want to sound like you are sticking up for one group while stereotyping and demonizing another you should rephrase the whole "Americans believe that they are so much better, but would be willing to do a lot more sick stuff to foreigners than Taliban, if they were in a similar situation."


Yes and no. Who was "meanest" during the second world war? The British or the Germans? You see, it's quite common to refer like that. I essentially just made a statement that Americans would be worse in a similar situation. The worst Americans would be worse than the worst (e.g. Afghan) Muslims. I generalized Taliban as well, in case you didn't notice. And I'm not sticking up for Taliban, Muslim extremists and Muslim terrorists. I'm sticking up for the logic that if you treat someone badly they are likely to retaliate, just like Americans would in a similar situation. I think it's ludicrous that right-wing Americans (among others) criticize other groups for violent actions and at the same time glorify their own violent actions caused by similar reasoning, exclusively because of patriotism - the notion that you are worth more because of where you are born or what citizenship you have.

And in case it's still not clear, I'm not supporting any sort of killing. But if someone believes they live in the "best" country in the world, they should probably also act like it.


Last edited by Megadeth on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 3:03 pm
Posts: 108
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:13 pm 
 

Megadeth wrote:
The worst Americans would be worse than the worst (e.g. Afghan) Muslims.


That's quite a bold statement... Care to elaborate on why that's the case?

Top
 Profile  
Megadeth
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 481
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:38 pm 
 

Oblivion_Gene wrote:
Megadeth wrote:
The worst Americans would be worse than the worst (e.g. Afghan) Muslims.


That's quite a bold statement... Care to elaborate on why that's the case?


I believe the worst American guerrilla/militia in defense on American soil would much worse than Taliban. I don't even understand why you think that is a bold statement. The worst Americans wouldn't show any mercy whatsoever. They wouldn't let captives defend themselves, or live very long. They would shoot for fun, torture and perform sadistic acts for vengeance against defenseless opponents and force other enemies to take part, just for fun and to show who's in charge ("don't show any weakness"). They would even be common. Give them acid and the worst stories you read about women in Afghanistan would be daily pleasures of the worst American guerrilla. The idea that enemy foreigners are the most evil there is and deserves hell is common even today, when America isn't even under attack or occupied. One US civilian gets killed and thousands, if not millions, demand vengeance and a bigger military. "Kill one of us, and we kill a hundred of you." The war mentality, nationalistic pride, patriotic non-sense and lack of empathy of many Americans is in short otherworldly.

Take the worst stories from the American military, imagine that there are worse things you haven't heard. Then consider the fact that anyone could fight on own territory, and that the war didn't only affect their war mentality and empathy, it wasn't an attack, but a defense, and would also be a serious attack on the nationalistic and patriotic thoughts. Then consider that there would be no regulations, all sorts of weapons available and no prosecutions.

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 2004
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:52 pm 
 

Megadeth wrote:
Yes and no. Who was "meanest" during the second world war? The British or the Germans? You see, it's quite common to refer like that. I essentially just made a statement that Americans would be worse in a similar situation. The worst Americans would be worse than the worst (e.g. Afghan) Muslims. I generalized Taliban as well, in case you didn't notice. And I'm not sticking up for Taliban, Muslim extremists and Muslim terrorists. I'm sticking up for the logic that if you treat someone badly they are likely to retaliate, just like Americans would in a similar situation. I think it's ludicrous that right-wing Americans (among others) criticize other groups for violent actions and at the same time glorify their own violent actions caused by similar reasoning, exclusively because of patriotism - the notion that you are worth more because of where you are born or what citizenship you have.

And in case it's still not clear, I'm not supporting any sort of killing. But if someone believes they live in the "best" country in the world, they should probably also act like it.


All peoples are capable of being extremely violent, Iraqis kill other Iraqis from different sects, Koreans killed tens of thousands of eachother in 1950, and don't forget other Asian armies preceding that (I'll leave out details).
To say "The worst Americans would be worse than.." suggests you don't read an awful lot about conflicts, and write statements based more on your emotions.
_________________
D - Fens

Top
 Profile  
Megadeth
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 481
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:56 pm 
 

mindshadow wrote:
All peoples are capable of being extremely violent, Iraqis kill other Iraqis from different sects, Koreans killed tens of thousands of eachother in 1950, and don't forget other Asian armies preceding that.
To say "The worst Americans would be worse than.." suggests you don't read an awful lot about conflicts, and write statements based more on your emotions.


I am well aware that all peoples are capable of it, but no one has the same combination war mentality, war history, nationalistic and patriotic pride as Americans. In addition to that Americans are the most self-confident people in the world, and have a high amount of religious fundamentalists. Never wrong, always best.

I haven't said it's not comparable. I just say that the worst Americans would be worse than for example Taliban, and it's not because Afghans are less capable of being extremely violent or "killing many people". It's not about statistics, it's about the mentality and attitudes in a defense war consisting of unregulated guerrilla/militia forces I'm talking about.

Top
 Profile  
Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 3:03 pm
Posts: 108
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:11 pm 
 

You make a shit ton of generalizations, but you're entitled to your own opinion.

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4537
Location: 50 Forts Along the Rhine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:59 pm 
 

We are already treading on low argumentative ground in a thread that is filled with generalizations about islamic cultures. Arguments don't work without generalizations though, else I could just say that induction is impossible and shut everyone up forever. I think Megadeth makes some good points, particularly the observation that the islamic world is in many aspects a realm under siege by a far more powerful force (western society) and therefore naturally prone to acts of desperation. Yet most people automatically assume that such acts are somehow inherent to this specific culture (ignoring that Islam's history is rich with periods of peace and cultural prosperity) which is a myth happily fueled by western media in the pursuit of total domination of the western capitalist way... but I digress. Culture, ideologies, religion etc. are always shaped by the constraints of the real world around them, and one needs to look for the underlying reasons for human behaviour that is found in the relationship between human nature and the material world, not in the myths and cults that we create to comfort ourselves.

In this sense I have to disagree with Megadeths conception of how American mentality would influence their behaviour if they had to fight at a homefront. It's really just wild speculation. American soldiers already have committed various examples of the most heinous crimes imaginable around the world, but they and the lunatics commanding them hardly represent the average american - they are just the usual assholes in uniforms that can be found everywhere (preemptive apologies to Bezerko, this is not meant as the generalization that it sounds like. I'm talking about a specific kind here) only they have the most advanced killing tools in history.
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Top
 Profile  
CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 pm
Posts: 202
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:22 pm 
 

inhumanist, would you mind stating where you are from? I don't want to deface you, but I'm curious how you are getting your views...I try to see the value in everyone's opionions; you are no exception.
_________________
"Black metal is the anger within. Black metal is the suppressed emotions. Black metal is devoid of all man.
Black metal is the forest calling..."
-Striborg

Top
 Profile  
CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 pm
Posts: 202
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:24 pm 
 

btw, in regards to my previous statement, I meant that Christians used to use physical force to convert people to their religion. Muslims now do the same thing.

I'm sure there are a few radical Christian groups that still use terrorism, but it is no where near that of Islamic groups.
_________________
"Black metal is the anger within. Black metal is the suppressed emotions. Black metal is devoid of all man.
Black metal is the forest calling..."
-Striborg

Top
 Profile  
Megadeth
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 481
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:17 am 
 

inhumanist wrote:
American soldiers already have committed various examples of the most heinous crimes imaginable around the world, but they and the lunatics commanding them hardly represent the average american - they are just the usual assholes in uniforms that can be found everywhere

But I've never based my arguments on that these are average. I have based my arguments of who's worst (that's the "complete opposite" of average, even worse than "the usual assholes in uniforms"), and then used some American soldiers as examples of how some of the worse act when regulated in an attack war against inferior soldiers, as a comparison.

Oblivion_Gene wrote:
You make a shit ton of generalizations, but you're entitled to your own opinion.

The result of "a shit ton of generalizations" is a picture. It's how theories develop. And it's not really my opinion, but my impression.

CrypticMonk wrote:
btw, in regards to my previous statement, I meant that Christians used to use physical force to convert people to their religion. Muslims now do the same thing.
I'm sure there are a few radical Christian groups that still use terrorism, but it is no where near that of Islamic groups.

They don't need to either. Christians for the most part happens to live in, or be funded by, fairly rich and prosperous nations with a long history of economic, cultural, educational, scientific and social growth. The Islamic terrorist groups doesn't exist because of Islam, but other types of problems. It is becoming intertwined with Islam because of all the conflicts and "them against us" rhetoric, but there's nothing about Islam isolated that create terrorists.

There are many Christians in Egypt, Syria and Lebanon. They live there because they have managed to live among each other peacefully all these hundreds of years. These hasn't been forced to be converted. Egyptian Christians are becoming more afraid and uncertain in the region just now, because of the International conflicts and internal conflicts fueled by Western rhetoric. It's not in Islam to just attack others, if so, why don't all? The largest Muslim country is Indonesia, and almost one quarter of the entire world's population are Muslim. That's as many people as the total population of China. China and Muslims combined is almost half of the world's population. There are 4.5 times as many Muslims in the world as American citizens, yet you cling to single incidents for arguments. It isn't even relevant what a single person or a single group does.

That there is more terrorism executed by Muslims than Christians simply means that some of the World's greatest challenges happens to be in regions where Muslims live. Tamils are for the most part Hindu's, but they live in one of the Earths "shit holes". The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam "is currently proscribed as a terrorist organization by 32 countries" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation ... amil_Eelam). If Latin-America was Islamic you'd probably blame Islam for the violence there as well, when in fact almost all are Christians. There are many Christians in Africa involved in conflicts. Both the Hutu's and Tutsi's are primarily Christian. It took the Christian church 500 years or so to modernize (from the high middle ages to the age of enlightenment), yet people expect every individual Muslim to modernize in a few years, including those that don't even have access to media or a thorough education, when in fact all positive progress is good.

Top
 Profile  
CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 pm
Posts: 202
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:40 pm 
 

I think people are misunderstanding my arguments. I am by no means saying Christians are better than Muslims, and definitely not saying Americans/Europeans are better than people from the Middle-East.

What I don't like is that somehow it's cool to completely deface Christianity, but for some reason there is absolutely nothing wrong with Muslims and they are exempt from criticism. This is the epitome of hypocrisy. You say you are upset with the bigitry and closed-mindedness of Christianity. Don't you think these things exist in other religions too?

You (not necessarily referring to anyone on this forum) are the ones who are closed-minded. You think all of the problems in the world are because of Christianity. All humans are fucked up. Not just Christians.

Now when black metal started, it was a huge shock to people. Nobody had ever criticised Christianity like that before. I respect that. It was something new and controversial. But that was 20 years ago, people. Look around you. There are a hell of a lot more problems than some idiots passing out tracts.
_________________
"Black metal is the anger within. Black metal is the suppressed emotions. Black metal is devoid of all man.
Black metal is the forest calling..."
-Striborg

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4537
Location: 50 Forts Along the Rhine
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:05 pm 
 

CrypticMonk wrote:
What I don't like is that somehow it's cool to completely deface Christianity, but for some reason there is absolutely nothing wrong with Muslims and they are exempt from criticism. This is the epitome of hypocrisy. You say you are upset with the bigitry and closed-mindedness of Christianity. Don't you think these things exist in other religions too?

That's actually something you hear quite often. "You can't openly criticize islam" etc. etc.. It always comes from people who openly criticize islam. There are shitloads of them. In my perception in our current world Islam is subject of criticism (though often subliminal) all the time from all kinds of groups (the new atheist movement, christian conservatives, the media etc.) so to me that's really a strawman argument.

Quote:
You (not necessarily referring to anyone on this forum) are the ones who are closed-minded. You think all of the problems in the world are because of Christianity. All humans are fucked up. Not just Christians.

Whoever said that Christianity is to blame? I already made the point that seeing religion or any other ideology as the root of the world's problems is a fallacy.
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.


Last edited by inhumanist on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 pm
Posts: 202
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:16 pm 
 

As I said, I'm not referring to anyone speciafically. Just people who have that view.

I am glad that a lot of these black metal bands who used to view Christianity as the ultimate enemy are now realizing that it's really humanity in general. inhumanist, I am glad that you realize that no one religion is to blame for society's problems. That's really the only point I wanted to make. I have my own personal views on religion/races same as you, but I'm not going to force them on other people.

I think you will find problems with every person, religion, or race. I don't think anyone can disagree with that.
_________________
"Black metal is the anger within. Black metal is the suppressed emotions. Black metal is devoid of all man.
Black metal is the forest calling..."
-Striborg

Top
 Profile  
tbald_owns_all
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:25 pm
Posts: 107
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:25 pm 
 

Anti Islamic metal would get FAR more attention than NSBM, mostly because from my point of view, Islamics are VERY devoted and get super pissed when others trash them. They take the smallest shit and get mad at it, but if they found out Anti Islamic metal existed? They would flip their shit and probably send assassins to murder the band.

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4537
Location: 50 Forts Along the Rhine
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:55 pm 
 

:brick:

When will people stop repeating dumb clichés?
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Top
 Profile  
Indecency
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:15 pm
Posts: 575
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:14 pm 
 

tbald_owns_all wrote:
Anti Islamic metal would get FAR more attention than NSBM, mostly because from my point of view, Islamics are VERY devoted and get super pissed when others trash them. They take the smallest shit and get mad at it, but if they found out Anti Islamic metal existed? They would flip their shit and probably send assassins to murder the band.


I'm a Muslim, and I know anti-Islam metal exists. And guess what? I don't give a shit.

Why is everyone in this thread making this sound like so much more of a deal than it actually is.

Top
 Profile  
kapala
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:56 pm
Posts: 156
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:45 am 
 

Indecency wrote:
tbald_owns_all wrote:
Anti Islamic metal would get FAR more attention than NSBM, mostly because from my point of view, Islamics are VERY devoted and get super pissed when others trash them. They take the smallest shit and get mad at it, but if they found out Anti Islamic metal existed? They would flip their shit and probably send assassins to murder the band.


I'm a Muslim, and I know anti-Islam metal exists. And guess what? I don't give a shit.

Why is everyone in this thread making this sound like so much more of a deal than it actually is.


Probably because it's easier to repeat clichés and assumptions than it is to think for yourself, especially if you haven't ever come into contact with any Muslims, aside from how they're portrayed on Fox News, and the like.
_________________
MariusBR wrote:
Go ask a Swede by the way. [...] They would probably tell you that the only way to be BM is to wear a mace in your pants.

Top
 Profile  
MARSDUDE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:17 pm
Posts: 1706
Location: Canardia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:07 am 
 

inhumanist wrote:
:brick:

When will people stop repeating dumb clichés?


It really makes me wonder if those people would believe that the sky was falling, if Fox News said so.

Top
 Profile  
Magmell
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:57 am
Posts: 5
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:30 pm 
 

Why is it okay for bands to insult Christianity but not Judaism and Islam?

Top
 Profile  
MARSDUDE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:17 pm
Posts: 1706
Location: Canardia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:59 pm 
 

Magmell wrote:
Why is it okay for bands to insult Christianity but not Judaism and Islam?


It's actually perfectly okay to insult whomever you like, whatever their faith; it just isn't seen as being particularly intelligent or compassionate.

Top
 Profile  
elf48687789
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:03 pm
Posts: 1633
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:42 pm 
 

Just wanted to point out that in Africa within recent months there have been many attacks by fundamentalists against sufis and sufi monuments (mausoleums and mosques). Sufis are also muslims, but the fundamentalists hate them.

The muslim fundamentalists practically control the north of Mali and have done public executions of a non-married couple living together, mutilated supposed thieves in public, vandalised mosques and committed other crimes. But basically I think they are just a group of thugs who are claiming they are muslims.

They also destroyed some mausoleums in Libya, but one at least one occasion the locals fought back.

Not really much different from Ahmadinejad in Iran who was simply murdering his own people, indeed killing muslims. It's probably no coincidence that he is the only Iranian president who isn't a religious official, but unfortunately there are also religious officials who support him.

O.k., it might be more complicated, but what I'm trying to say is that it seems more like a Western (or basically anyone ignorant of the facts) point of view to say that Islam is bad and atheism is good.

Top
 Profile  
Varth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 117
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:54 pm 
 

As far as metal goes all religions are target. As far as Muslims go I probably talk to more of them in a week than most and they're just as bland and stupid as any other people. The End of my 2 cents.

Top
 Profile  
Indecency
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:15 pm
Posts: 575
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:06 pm 
 

Magmell wrote:
Why is it okay for bands to insult Christianity but not Judaism and Islam?


Did you really have to necro a 2 week old, dried out topic just to ask the same questions dozens of people have already asked?

Top
 Profile  
StarGazer007
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:09 pm
Posts: 16
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:18 pm 
 

I scrounged up something from the Qur'an here.

Those who believe, those who are Jews, and the Christians and Sabaeans, all who believe in Allah and the Last Day and act rightly, will have their reward with their Lord. They will feel no fear and will know no sorrow. (Surat al-Baqara, 62)

Who could have a better religion than someone who submits himself completely to Allah and is a good-doer, and follows the religion of Abraham, a man of pure natural belief? Allah took Abraham as an intimate friend. (Surat an-Nisa’, 125)

The Qur'an views Christians and Jews as part of the Abrahamic faith underneath Allah.

Qur'an 2:256 - there is no compulsion in religion

NO! Anti-Islamic black metal is NOT the same as NSBM. Assaulting Islam is essentially assaulting a three-pronged organization trying to promote international love and unity between all men. Destroy those irritating, humanity loving religious organizations of heavenly vileness!

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abominatrix, Diamhea, Google [Bot], JohnTheDrummer, Mysticaloldbard, Opus, Spiner202 and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group