Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Fallen Soldier
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:19 pm 

Ah, Symphonia of course lol. 1 year, guys

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:21 pm 

How about Legend (US)? Only one album, half of it amazing. I feel that playing-wise they were magnificent, but that they had a little way to go before crafting an entire album full of classic tunes. But they could have done it, had they stuck around longer. Damn shame that From the Fjords is all we've got.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:31 pm 

Dopamine. They've only put out like 5 songs in total, mostly in 2010, but they're some of the finest post-black metal I've ever heard. The guy behind it had a new project (in 2011) that released 2 songs though... No further info beyond that but I hope something's on the way.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Thrasher4life
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:44 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
This is killer stuff. Thanks for the Usurper/Cryptobeast rec. despite me just reading through. Ah, the things we get to find here on MA. :)

Anytime man. Just hope you enjoy it and spread the hate! True that, number of bands I've found just reading threads on here is huge, then you just pop back over to the main site and look them all up. :lol:

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:16 pm 

Holymarsh and Zyklon
Vio-lence as well, now Rob is in a subpar post-thrash band.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:19 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
lupin99 wrote:
I am surprised no one brought up Nocturnus, seriously even though I am not a huge death metal fan, I really enjoyed their stuff. The Key was a rather excellent album.

BlackMetalMilitia wrote:
Many other bands too but I have to say, definitely Sacramentum. Their debut "Far away from the sun" is masterpiece.

Do you people think before you write? These are good examples of bands that ended way too late rather than too early. You name their debuts, completely ignoring the fact that both bands went on to do two more releases (and Nocturnus more when they re-united) and no one ever admits to liking them or finding anything memorable about them. So obviously these are bands that should've called it quits after their first full-length rather than when they did.

Funny that despite their debut, I did enjoy Thresholds and Ethereal Tomb as well. Some people don't care about them, but I liked them for what they did. The first album I ever heard from these guys was Ethereal Tomb and I really enjoyed it (this was back in 2005).

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:52 pm 

Coroner. The half-album's-worth on their S/T is really excellent. They lessened some of the repetition that hindered the more aggressive songs on Grin, but simultaneously exploring the longer and more atmospheric/wall-of-sound style on other tracks, and while I don't like admitting it, the drumming improved on the tracks not featuring Marky as well.

Necronipple wrote:
I forgot about Messiah from Switzerland. They were just hitting their peak when they decided to call it quits. Choir of Horrors is a great death/thrash album, and quite underated.

Got to disagree on this one; Choir of Horrors is indeed very good in its realm and I like the 80's stuff even more, but Rotten Perish was kind of simplified and drier, and the last one wasn't good at all.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:05 am 

I was mentioned in a piece of a paragraph earlier in the thread but dammit: Possessed! All three of their main releases were fantastic and still are fantastic. Jeff Becerra's vocals ruled in a Van Drunen kind of way (in his own rite), and just imagine what could have been bestowed upon us had this band continued what it started? Note: sure, they are listed as 'active' but about that new material...more like 'inactive'

Who'd think another album by S.O.D wouldn't be fun?

I would have loved anything more form Layne Staley and though AIC continues, imagine another release by Mad Season with him at the helm? Fuck.

Dio ended too early. (Capt'n Obvious, I know)

Dismember - yes long career, no, I've never had a chance to see them. One more (US) tour?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:16 am 

yeah, Possessed were HUGELY influential, too. Many death metal bands afterward (including Van Drunen's Pestilence) claimed a direct influence from them. Probably the first band ever to use pure death metal vocals, although Death(Mantas) started right around that same time. While I agree that their discography is short, it's kind of hard to say whether they ended too early. All other internal band quarrels aside, the chemistry of that band was wierd with Larry Lalonde- he plainly wasn't into that kind of music after the first album came out. It's said he was almost entirely responsible for the second and third releases having more Metallica-like songs on them as opposed to the raging hardcore proto-death metal on the debut. So I'd argue that they simply weren't destined to last, unless they replaced Larry Lalonde, or if not, well, who knows what their future releases would have sounded like- death-funk? (is there such a thing, probably?)

As far as them being "active" or not, that's one of those controversial grey areas I've noticed on this website. A band will reunite, or in some cases just one original member will hire three or four "hired guns" and play a couple special reunion shows here and there, or maybe even do a short tour. But they have no real intention of permanantly reviving the band, touring extensively or recording anything new- it's just typically a one-off show, either for a quick cash grab or for "shits and grins" old time sake. I think that's basically the case with Possessed. If they (or rather, he; at this point) decides to put some new music out then more power to em as far as being considered "active."

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:33 am 

Realm were an interesting band, in the sense that their 2 albums were quite distinctive and inspired.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:26 pm 

Witchfinder General, Acid Bath, Reverend Bizarre, original Alice in Chains, original Kyuss and Type O Negative. All of these bands were the very definition of consistency in terms of material they've produced.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:33 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Witchfinder General, Acid Bath, Reverend Bizarre, original Alice in Chains, original Kyuss and Type O Negative. All of these bands were the very definition of consistency in terms of material they've produced.

Yes, perhaps, but do you really think these bands ended "too early"? I understand being sad at their demise, but most of these bands had a chance...wrote a bunch of albums, developed a big fanbase, toured around the world. My idea of a band that "ends too early" is one that's nipped in the bud as it were, just as they were developing something really special. A perfect case would be a band that only got to release a few demos and one LP, and never got a proper tour due to bad chemistry, death or some other unfortunate circumstance. You could argue that bands like Reverend Bizarre, Kyuss and Type O already had reached the apex of their possibility. I mean, Reverend Bizarre, for example, took their sense of indulgence to the absolute extreme with So long, Suckers: I know they had planned to do two more albums, but really, I can't think of a more appropriate way to say both a farewell and a "fuck you" to their career as a band. You could also say that Type O came full circle in a way with Dead Again, and it is an oddly appropriate way for them to "go out", being a more naturalistic and "rootsy" sounding record than their previous bunch. AIC had a huge amount of success as a band and anyway, are still active....too bad about layne but, you know, their sound lives on, and they still go on world tours.

Ok, so another case of a band that ended too early for me was Sorrow from the uS. Their EP was nothing too special, but the hatred and Disgust album, for me, is an amazing slab of doomy death metal. I always wanted to know where they would have taken the sound next. APparently some people think they dragged out their songs excessively, so perhaps they would have tightened it all up and created a masterpiece of to-the-point, impactful music that drew equally from Slayer and the slow parts of Celtic Frost.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:50 pm 

doomster999 wrote:

I dunno, I agree with Acid Bath, but as far as Type O and Alice in Chains go, AIC are still very much awesome. I mean, yeah, it's a damn shame Layne had to go the way he did, he was a great vocalist, but their sound has lived on. It's not like they're pissing all over the original stuff. And Type O, they put out tons of albums, and no, I didn't want Peter to go and I was as shocked and saddened as everyone else, but the fact is that they realistically took their sound as far as I think they could without progressing into different genres or recycling. They were around for years, whereas Acid Bath WAS a real tragedy, as they could have still done all sorts of shit. Two great, nay, fantastic albums, and I think they could have put out at least one more were it not for the unfortunate death of their bassist.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Drahkarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:00 pm 

Well, this is more opinionative, but Sonic Syndicate. Their first album, Eden Fire, was fucking AWESOME! And then after that they kinda slowly withered away and died. I keep dreaming of a bunch of guys getting together and picking up where SS left off with Eden Fire.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:54 pm 

Hypnosia, one of the best modern thrash albums.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5