Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
blodiapunchingjin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:13 am 

That feeling you get when you realize that you ordered the brand new, import version of Pure Holocaust on Amazon, and the year listed is the original year it was released, but instead of the original pressing, you forgot what you saw before at Movie Trading Company and get the CD and see that it's a South American bootleg? FFFFFFUUUUUU

Seriously though, this pisses me off to no end. The original CDs are essentially impossible to find unless you're super lucky and find it used somewhere in a store (which I did once, but my stupid ass didn't appreciate it at the time and sold it soon after). Either you buy an Osmose pressing which could have that dumb copy protection and I can't listen to it on my MP3 player, or you buy one of those idiotic South American pressings which may or may not be lower quality in both liner notes/packaging and CD quality, or could possibly have some crap that could nuke your computer. Does anyone have any suggestions here on what to do? I don't want to open the cellophane until I'm absolutely certain I want to.

I feel bad; I don't want to just have burned CDs of Immortal, 'cause I love the band, but I feel like that's the best I can do now.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:19 am 

Buy an Osmose pressing and then download the files online if you want them on an MP3 player.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:25 am 

Its not that difficult to find them check the NWN forum, here, as you always have a trader willing to get rid off older stuff especially for a crap band like Immortal. You'd be surprised what you'd find.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:34 am 

The newer Osmose pressings don't have the anti rip problem, so any new copy you buy from a large distro should be fine.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:09 am 

I have originals... I might have some original spares (basically from when me and my wife combined our collections) I'll check if I still have them cause I might have sold them to a friend for 5 bucks each.

LordAphelion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:12 am 

Keep looking for an original Osmose version. The copy protection didn't come about until around 2001, and it died a quick death. If it's not Osmose, it's a bootleg.

maggotcrusher666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:43 am 

Didn't these all get repressed by The End Records for the US in 2006? I remember seeing these everywhere after that. I remember them not looking that great though. Pure Holocaust in particular looked cheap.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:50 am 

maggotcrusher666 wrote:
Didn't these all get repressed by The End Records for the US in 2006? I remember seeing these everywhere after that. I remember them not looking that great though. Pure Holocaust in particular looked cheap.

They did get a repress from The End. I have a few of those copies and not a one of them appears cheap to me. All high quality and the only difference I can see between these and the original Osmose pressings is a little line on the rear tray card that says "The End Records".

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:43 am 

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've gotten original Osmose pressings off Amazon of pure holocaust, blizzard beasts, and battles in the north - all used for very reasonable prices. I'm waiting on DFM...didn't know about the copy protection thing...hopefully I don't get stuck with one of those.

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:22 pm 

I really don't get the problem, all Immortal firstpress CDs can easily obtained for 10 Euros on Ebay, the newer albums for far less (I sold some of them for 5-7 Euros when I bought them on vinyl).
They also appear regularly on Ebay, Pure Holocaust firstpress at least 5 times the last 2-3 weeks and that didn't come with a copy protection. I didn't ever buy anything from Amazon, but can't you get a refund if you didn't receive the item as it was described?
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

blodiapunchingjin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:41 pm 

Thanks for your help, everyone. I think I have a solution in place.

Recordcollector
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:41 pm 

Well then

Last edited by Recordcollector on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
maggotcrusher666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:06 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
maggotcrusher666 wrote:

They did get a repress from The End. I have a few of those copies and not a one of them appears cheap to me. All high quality and the only difference I can see between these and the original Osmose pressings is a little line on the rear tray card that says "The End Records".

I found my old copy that The End put out and it looks pretty bad compared to the original. The original cover photo is much sharper with more contrast and the band logo and album title are done in a shiny silver color instead of just white like the reissue. Not a huge deal to most people I'm sure but to me it just looked like a half-assed copy of the original.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:55 pm 

I'm not sure if I have the original "Pure Holocaust" or The End version. I'll have to check now. I know my "Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism" is The End version, same with "Battles in the North".

BBEdrummerAK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:30 pm 

I have all the Osmose versions...then again, I am old enough to where I was buying these as they were first coming out. haha.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:10 pm 

So my copy of DFM showed up. It's an original JL America/Osmose pressing. Only problem is the idiot previous owner decided to draw a giant swastika on the white side of the tray card with a sharpie marker...this was visible because the seller (a big used CD outlet) recased the CD in a box with a clear CD tray.

blodiapunchingjin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:43 am 

cvac wrote:
So my copy of DFM showed up. It's an original JL America/Osmose pressing. Only problem is the idiot previous owner decided to draw a giant swastika on the white side of the tray card with a sharpie marker...this was visible because the seller (a big used CD outlet) recased the CD in a box with a clear CD tray.

What the hell? Why with Immortal? Okay, they were slightly closer to that sort of thing with the first two albums (SORTA), but nothing like NS or anything. That sucks ass, dude. :(

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:16 am 

The ones I have from The End are all good quality. Nothing looks cheap, except for the price lol.

Reply to topic