Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Woolie_Wool
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:56 pm
Posts: 1676
Location: Far beyond the prophecy of tyrant guardians
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:42 am 
 

I think they're paid astroturfers. Their writing style resembles marketing copy so much I think they're actually being paid to post it.
_________________
Wilytank wrote:
Of course, nothing respectable about the penis. We gents need to all grab the nearest sharp object and start hacking.

Top
 Profile  
enigmatech
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm
Posts: 321
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:58 am 
 

The official first-week sales of the Tate album have been released:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=189411

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 3001
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:28 pm 
 

enigmatech wrote:
The official first-week sales of the Tate album have been released:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=189411


Somehow this sold more than I expected. A third listen shows some decent moments on the album, but I've still never wanted to dislike something so much purely on principle before.
_________________
Spirit Division (Blues Metal): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My blog: http://psychicshorts.blogspot.com

Top
 Profile  
DarthVenom
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:56 am
Posts: 611
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:38 pm 
 

Quote:
I've still never wanted to dislike something so much purely on principle before.


Yeah...Tate at this point is beyond (or at least equal to) even Sharon Osbourne levels of petty malignance, and I say that in full awareness of Ozzfest 2005 or whenever it was she sabotaged Maiden's set.

Speaking musically, though, I finally heard the re-recording of I Don't Believe In Love the other day. And...ergh. :ugh: I try to look for the positive side of even music I don't like too much, but he's so out of tune it's painful.

Top
 Profile  
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:01 pm
Posts: 844
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:31 pm 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
enigmatech wrote:
The official first-week sales of the Tate album have been released:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=189411


Somehow this sold more than I expected. A third listen shows some decent moments on the album, but I've still never wanted to dislike something so much purely on principle before.

You actually found decent moments?
Also, apparently the Blabbermouth users are saying they don't see it on the actual chart. I haven't looked yet, but that's pretty interesting assuming it's true.
_________________
Murtal wrote:
In flames became MeloDICK Death Metal

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Top
 Profile  
QueenElizawreck
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 2:23 am
Posts: 87
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:38 am 
 

It sold all that!
I've given the album one good listen and it is incredibly run of the mill middle of the road crap that will add nothing to your life.

Top
 Profile  
LegendMaker
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1609
Location: France
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:19 am 
 

Wait, 5,000 copies gets you in the top 100 album charts, now? :o
_________________
Opus wrote:
If you're going to sell out, make sure you'll get paid at least.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 5855
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:32 am 
 

Well Ghost's album only sold 13,000 and they broke the top 30.

It's a much different landscape these days.
_________________
YouTube
Facebook
Sorrowseed Melodic Extreme Metal
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
TheLiberation
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:43 am 
 

Still I think if it sold much less than Dedicated to Chaos which was a total clusterfuck and didn't have all this surrounding it, it says quite a bit.
_________________
Poisonfume wrote:
I marvel at the clusterfuck of confusion we have constructed.

Top
 Profile  
truvelocity
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 308
Location: Egypt
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:53 am 
 

GEOFF TATE: 'I Really Don't Know What The Signature Sound Of QUEENSRŸCHE Is'
http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=190053

Top
 Profile  
DarthVenom
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:56 am
Posts: 611
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 am 
 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... e--NWAGmkA

I'll just leave this here.

From the top comment: The funny thing is that I've seen atleast 20 different rants (some quite good actually) yet only five or six really stupid ones were spliced together for this one. Whatever happened to displaying the best rant for the world to see?

Top
 Profile  
thrashinbatman
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 439
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:19 pm 
 

DarthVenom wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=De--NWAGmkA

I'll just leave this here.

From the top comment: The funny thing is that I've seen atleast 20 different rants (some quite good actually) yet only five or six really stupid ones were spliced together for this one. Whatever happened to displaying the best rant for the world to see?

One would be silly to expect them to do anything else but use it as a way to make the haters seem stupid. They want to Geoff seem like a victim even though they asked for it. Geoff really has no idea what he's doing.

Top
 Profile  
DarthVenom
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:56 am
Posts: 611
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:03 pm 
 

thrashinbatman wrote:
DarthVenom wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=De--NWAGmkA

I'll just leave this here.

From the top comment: The funny thing is that I've seen atleast 20 different rants (some quite good actually) yet only five or six really stupid ones were spliced together for this one. Whatever happened to displaying the best rant for the world to see?

One would be silly to expect them to do anything else but use it as a way to make the haters seem stupid. They want to Geoff seem like a victim even though they asked for it. Geoff really has no idea what he's doing.


That's true. It was clear from the first press release about this that they were going to be looking to make a TLC-style spectacle of this.

Oh, for those of you who for some reason are unable to view the video, allow me to provide an adequate synopsis:

:wanker:

Top
 Profile  
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:01 pm
Posts: 844
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:56 pm 
 

truvelocity wrote:
GEOFF TATE: 'I Really Don't Know What The Signature Sound Of QUEENSRŸCHE Is'
http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=190053

That's pretty clear by now.
_________________
Murtal wrote:
In flames became MeloDICK Death Metal

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Top
 Profile  
TheLiberation
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:13 pm 
 

"It is art."

Please, there is a fucking limit even to hypocrisy.
_________________
Poisonfume wrote:
I marvel at the clusterfuck of confusion we have constructed.

Top
 Profile  
juicebitch
Juice Bitch

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:57 am
Posts: 1568
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:24 pm 
 

New QR tune played live! Titled "Fallout"... a lot more interesting than Redemption imo. I really like it! :D Those intertwined guitar and vocal melodies...mm delicious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UvaYY2s5kw
_________________
HALBERD - death/doom featuring members of the Metal Archives !!

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
Album art/updates etc: https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:32 pm 
 

juicebitch wrote:
New QR tune played live! Titled "Fallout"... a lot more interesting than Redemption imo. I really like it! :D Those intertwined guitar and vocal melodies...mm delicious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UvaYY2s5kw

It's simple, but certainly far better than anything on Geoff Tate's new album.
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
thrashinbatman
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 439
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:34 pm 
 

The song "Where Dreams Go to Die" will be played on a Seattle radio show tonight and will be put up tomorrow.

Top
 Profile  
enigmatech
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm
Posts: 321
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:54 am 
 

I actually really like "Where Dreams Go to Die", certainly much better than "Redemption". It sounds kind of weird to me, not really like anything I have heard before. Much more "progressive", but still more-or-less within the realm of metal. It's interesting how they seem to have both returned to their roots, to an extent, but also explored some new territory, at least with this song. And the best part...it works, :lol:.

I would post a link, but the sound quality of the post I heard was pretty bad (it was ripped from the radio), so I would just as soon wait for the official release.

Top
 Profile  
TheLiberation
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:51 am 
 

enigmatech wrote:
I actually really like "Where Dreams Go to Die", certainly much better than "Redemption". It sounds kind of weird to me, not really like anything I have heard before. Much more "progressive", but still more-or-less within the realm of metal. It's interesting how they seem to have both returned to their roots, to an extent, but also explored some new territory, at least with this song. And the best part...it works, :lol:.

I would post a link, but the sound quality of the post I heard was pretty bad (it was ripped from the radio), so I would just as soon wait for the official release.

I'm really curious then, as that's how it should work imo. They've made it clear they want to return to the roots, but simply making "80s Queensryche episode two" would be rather pointless.
_________________
Poisonfume wrote:
I marvel at the clusterfuck of confusion we have constructed.

Top
 Profile  
thrashinbatman
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 439
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:21 am 
 

It sounds like a modern Rage for Order song to me. It manages to both remind me of the old albums while sound totally original.

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 9879
Location: Seattle, United States
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:34 am 
 

enigmatech wrote:
I would post a link, but the sound quality of the post I heard was pretty bad (it was ripped from the radio), so I would just as soon wait for the official release.

I got the really bad one, too, but there is at least one good quality one on youtube (that hasn't been taken down yet).

After hearing it a couple times, I definitely like it more than "Redemption". Doesn't sound by-the-numbers to me. Sounds atmospheric and flows much better.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 19324
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:49 am 
 

It's hard to tell with the very poor quality, but it sounds OK. Definitely some old school style guitar harmonies, and the vocals are still great. This seems to have a real seedy, dark kind of atmosphere to it.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Thing prequel

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 9879
Location: Seattle, United States
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:58 am 
 

Did you guys not try this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I48uKXbOIw

The first one has horrendous quality, but this one's great.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 19324
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:02 pm 
 

I dunno, that still sounds really muddy and clipped to me, especially compared to "Redemption," the officially leaked track.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Thing prequel

Top
 Profile  
Oblarg
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:59 pm
Posts: 2379
Location: The second sea
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:06 pm 
 

Fallout is passable, I guess, but Where Dreams Go to Die is bland nu-metal shit.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
manowar are literally five times the band that fates warning are: each member is as good as fates warning alone, then joey's bass solos are like an entire extra fates warning

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1887
Location: Forgotten In Space
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:17 pm 
 

"Where Dreams Go to Die" sounds great, and "Fallout" seemed pretty good as well (even if it was somewhat hard to make out due to the live footage). Both are better than "Redemption" which I was only mildly interested in. I'm definitely getting legitimately excited for the album, and if the rest of the songs are as good as the last one, it will surely be an impressive comeback album, confirming yet further that Tate is a shipwrecking douchenozzle.

Oblarg wrote:
Fallout is passable, I guess, but Where Dreams Go to Die is bland nu-metal shit.


I'm honestly baffled at how you got nu-metal from that.

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 3001
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:25 pm 
 

Kinda hard to place them in terms of sound. I hear bits of Rage but I also hear a sliver of Promised Land somewhere in there. Either way, it sounds promising and I can't wait for it to grow on me.
_________________
Spirit Division (Blues Metal): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My blog: http://psychicshorts.blogspot.com

Top
 Profile  
Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 6402
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:56 pm 
 

Oblarg wrote:
Fallout is passable, I guess, but Where Dreams Go to Die is bland nu-metal shit.


I... What?
_________________
The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
Hehe, foreskins.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Top
 Profile  
juicebitch
Juice Bitch

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:57 am
Posts: 1568
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:07 pm 
 

Where Dreams Go to Die sounds fuckin' great (looking past the poor quality of the Youtube uploads). Really weird how they released Redemption first because its just so average compared to this track.

Very much looking forward to hearing the rest of the album now!
_________________
HALBERD - death/doom featuring members of the Metal Archives !!

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
Album art/updates etc: https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Top
 Profile  
Oblarg
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:59 pm
Posts: 2379
Location: The second sea
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:18 pm 
 

Crick wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Fallout is passable, I guess, but Where Dreams Go to Die is bland nu-metal shit.


I... What?


Did we hear the same song? Boring dissonant stop-start chugging abounds throughout that entire thing. It's not even particularly progressive.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
manowar are literally five times the band that fates warning are: each member is as good as fates warning alone, then joey's bass solos are like an entire extra fates warning

Top
 Profile  
Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 6402
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:36 pm 
 

I heard the chugs, yes. I didn't hear nu-metal. Do you know what nu-metal is?
_________________
The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
Hehe, foreskins.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Top
 Profile  
Oblarg
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:59 pm
Posts: 2379
Location: The second sea
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:47 pm 
 

Crick wrote:
I heard the chugs, yes. I didn't hear nu-metal. Do you know what nu-metal is?


Yes, I do, and those riffs certainly sounded quite a bit like it. At least this one didn't have a shitty rapped lyric after the chorus, I guess.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
manowar are literally five times the band that fates warning are: each member is as good as fates warning alone, then joey's bass solos are like an entire extra fates warning

Top
 Profile  
Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 6402
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:26 pm 
 

If generic chugs are nu-metal, you'd think we'd just be calling metalcore nu-metal.
_________________
The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
Hehe, foreskins.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Top
 Profile  
Oblarg
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:59 pm
Posts: 2379
Location: The second sea
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:31 pm 
 

Crick wrote:
If generic chugs are nu-metal, you'd think we'd just be calling metalcore nu-metal.


Nah. There's a very distinctive guitar style in nu-metal that's basically a derivative of groove-era Pantera, and that's pretty much precisely what I'm hearing in parts of that song.

At any rate, the song is pretty terrible. The token harmonized guitar solo doesn't fit at all, and the whole thing just sounds half-assed.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
manowar are literally five times the band that fates warning are: each member is as good as fates warning alone, then joey's bass solos are like an entire extra fates warning

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 6702
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:38 pm 
 

Crick wrote:
If generic chugs are nu-metal, you'd think we'd just be calling metalcore nu-metal.


To be honest, we might as well.
_________________
'Heavy metal top of the class, stuff the media up your arse!' - Den Dennis.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1887
Location: Forgotten In Space
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:56 pm 
 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9KOvIdk8gc

And now for an official link.

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 9879
Location: Seattle, United States
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:59 pm 
 

Metal_Detector wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9KOvIdk8gc

And now for an official link.

Ugh, drums still sound awful. Everything else is fine.

@Oblarg, do you know how many power and progressive metal bands chug? Countless.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8961
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:02 pm 
 

Huh? That's a pretty good song, Oblarg you definitely not know nu metal if you think this track sounds like that. The atmosphere is pretty damn good and the music is interesting.

Nu metal:
_________________
BasqueStorm everywhere wrote:
LOL!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
Deviante
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:59 pm
Posts: 618
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:06 pm 
 

Where Dreams Go to Die seems like a grower, but I already like the general feel, the bass lines, the melodies and the vocals on it. Will listen again later, but for now, I already like it. Nice one, gents..
_________________
Goatfangs wrote:
I named a praying mantis "Dio" after Dio, because he is awesome (the mantis is cool too). I even brought Dio the mantis to a metal show... so I can honestly say I was at a metal show with Dio.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gypaetus, Rykov, thesilentenigma, Valgrinder and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group