Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:00 pm 

It's alright. Not particularly great, but nowhere near as bad as they used to be. It's a giant pile of adequacy, although it sounds a bit subdued, like they're still holding back even after the cancer that was Geoff Tate was removed. At the very least it actually sounds like Queensryche.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:09 pm 

In all honesty as a first impression of the album, it's good. like 75-80% without taking into account the band and the context of the release.

Some songs feel underdeveloped, like they could have made them longer and more complex. I have this feeling like they could have done way better with more time to craft the songs. 35 minutes it's a bit too short for this kind of music to me. Todd is a highlight; he sounds seriously epic and powerful, which was an urgent need for the band. The rest of the guys sounds confident and it feels like a very cohesive effort, like everyone had some input on the album.

Now, for late QR standards, this is seriously the best thing they've made in years, if not in decades. I can see fair 90% reviews of this given the rebirth of the Ryche. Hopefully, the next album will be longer and more carefully written.

Tate has nothing to do against this and he should just give up with the lawsuit already.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:36 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
In all honesty as a first impression of the album, it's good. like 75-80% without taking into account the band and the context of the release.

Some songs feel underdeveloped, like they could have made them longer and more complex. I have this feeling like they could have done way better with more time to craft the songs. 35 minutes it's a bit too short for this kind of music to me. Todd is a highlight; he sounds seriously epic and powerful, which was an urgent need for the band. The rest of the guys sounds confident and it feels like a very cohesive effort, like everyone had some input on the album.

Now, for late QR standards, this is seriously the best thing they've made in years, if not in decades. I can see fair 90% reviews of this given the rebirth of the Ryche. Hopefully, the next album will be longer and more carefully written.

Tate has nothing to do against this and he should just give up with the lawsuit already.

Judging by the additional info given, the band has interest in doing longer songs. I read they got a song around the 8-minute mark in the works for the next album. Testing the waters was fine by me with this album. It gives enough to display the band's writing style and will definitely satiate the mainstream rock base. As a rock / heavy metal album it's fine. Like I said, high 70% for me.

Agreed that by late QR standards this is a god damn comeback of the last decade.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:49 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

Judging by the additional info given, the band has interest in doing longer songs. I read they got a song around the 8-minute mark in the works for the next album. Testing the waters was fine by me with this album. It gives enough to display the band's writing style and will definitely satiate the mainstream rock base. As a rock / heavy metal album it's fine. Like I said, high 70% for me.

Agreed that by late QR standards this is a god damn comeback of the last decade.

Yeah, I read about the 8 minute track. That's great and means they're gonna get a lot more comfortable doing complicated stuff for the original fan base.

For the record itself, I'd give it a solid 80-5%. It's a little formulaic, but it still sounds great. I'm looking forward to the next release for sure.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:11 pm 

I'm liking this quite a bit from the first listening, the overall sound plays like a big fusion of Mindcrime, Empire, and Promised Land. Songs are pretty good though it is obvious that this is just a test of seeing what they're capable of. I get the feeling their next album will be huge...

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:41 am 

It looks like the whole album is up for streaming:

http://www.queensrycheofficial.com/surpriseevent

I'm about to order the LP and 2CD.

Also just stumbled across the "Eyes of a Stranger" release on vinyl, which is an odd one. Four songs, one each from the EP and first three albums.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:20 am 

My preorder from CM Distro actually arrived yesterday. Came with a shirt (just the Triryche logo and the band name) and the box with the pins and stuff. I'm told my order also came with a signed poster, but that it's been put into a separate shipment that I have yet to receive. Needless to say, not having heard the stream, I couldn't wait to throw it on and give it a spin.

The album is concise, but it doesn't feel like an EP. Nor does it outstay its welcome; rather, I find myself wanting more. Torre is a great continuation of the classic Tate vocal style from the Mindcrime/Empire era. Lyrically, I would be shocked if songs like Vindication and Open Road didn't speak directly to the band's violent split. The real Queesnryche may not be interested in stooping to Tate's immature dick-waving, but this album feels very confessional, like the band is getting a lot off their chest and a breath of fresh air while they're at it.

Through this whole process, I had my fingers mentally crossed, just hoping for an album that I would come back to more than once. Compared to the work of latter-day Taint, it's Michaelangelo's David. But just as an album, I find it genuinely, honestly good. Thank the metal gods. They've got life in them yet.

Edit: I know it's six days before the official release, so out of curiosity I just checked, and I'm one of two people on this site who own the album. :-P I'm sure that will change very shortly.

Last edited by DarthVenom on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArcticSwarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:33 am 

DarthVenom wrote:
My preorder from CM Distro actually arrived yesterday. Came with a shirt (just the Triryche logo and the band name) and the box with the pins and stuff. I'm told my order also came with a signed poster, but that it's been put into a separate shipment that I have yet to receive. Needless to say, not having heard the stream, I couldn't wait to throw it on and give it a spin.

The album is concise, but it doesn't feel like an EP. Nor does it outstay its welcome; rather, I find myself wanting more. Torre is a great continuation of the classic Tate vocal style from the Mindcrime/Empire era. Lyrically, I would be shocked if songs like Vindication and Open Road didn't speak directly to the band's violent split. The real Queesnryche may not be interested in stooping to Tate's immature dick-waving, but this album feels very confessional, like the band is getting a lot off their chest and a breath of fresh air while they're at it.

Through this whole process, I had my fingers mentally crossed, just hoping for an album that I would come back to more than once. Compared to the work of latter-day Taint, it's Michaelangelo's David. But just as an album, I find it genuinely, honestly good. Thank the metal gods. They've got life in them yet.

So very glad to hear this!

I've avoided the stream as well, trying to wait patiently for Tuesday. I have a lot of hope for this...haven't liked a Queensryche record since Promised Land, which was good but not great for me.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 am 

I agree. I listened to the stream several times, and my preorder should come in very soon. It's the first genuinely good QR album in years.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:15 pm 

This sounds good. Pretty much a continuation of Mindcrime and Empire, with the sci fi atmosphere of The Warning. But really much more modern than any of that dictates. I like La Torre's expressive vocals and the odd middle Eastern/sci fi blend of the guitar work. Very cool. Sorta like Pagan's Mind or Tad Morose, which I guess QR influenced in the first place anyway. The masters are learning from the disciples now.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:06 pm 

I've been hearing this a lot, and my top songs have to be "In This Light," "A World Without," and either "Don't Look Back" or "Open Road". The opener and that <1 minute song in the middle I never listen to anymore since I find them wastes. "Redemption" has lost its luster, as well. "Vindication" has awkward vocal transitions. Otherwise, this album's pretty good. Production is what's restricting it.

I then hear a song like "Promised Land" with it's dark atmosphere and wonder where the hell that went. They could have expressed so much more on some tracks like the closer.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:01 pm 

Everything from "Spore" through "Vindication" was first rate for me, after that it wasn't quite as great, but it may still grow on me - wouldn't be surprised to be honest.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:33 pm 

This is..... Nice enough. It's not amazing, and I certainly won't rush to the store to buy it, but it's a solid album. My main complaints have to do with; A) how restricting the production is, B) how pointless the intro and the interlude are, and C) how safe this thing is. Seriously, I would've really liked a couple of longer, more complex pieces..... But at the same time, I understand that they're testing the waters, so I can somewhat forgive them.

All around, a decent record. I might buy it when the price drops a bit, but it's no priority.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:11 pm 

I like it a lot. The samples and promotional work actually made me really wary, but it's grown on me quite a bit. The shorter length is a positive for me. Too many modern metal and rock artists shove in 60 minutes of content with 40 or so actually worthwhile. I like to listen albums as a whole. Tons of newer/post-80s try to fill a CD with quantity instead of quality and end up feeling like a audial marathon. The songwriting brings back feelings of their EP, consisting of more straight forward material with a more modern edge. Gotta agree with the complaints about the production. It's a victim of the loudness wars to be sure. Drums sound a bit annoying too at times.

Agga40
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:26 am 

This sounds like a Queensryche album to me, I mean GOOD Queensryche. I have a feeling the next album will be even more complex and subsequently better. As an old Ryche fan, this album is a welcome relief. Now someone go nuke the vest and that abortion of an album already.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:32 am 

Ordered. Can't wait. And as much as this has been one of my most anticipated albums ever, I feel like if they keep this lineup intact, the next one will be where they really hit their stride. Todd has said they're already writing songs for it.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:46 pm 

One thing that I find a bit humorous is that the drummer Rockenfield has apparently taken over as head of the band. He has the most writing credit even taking the intro and mid-segue songs out.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 pm 

Listened to the stream and enjoyed it a lot. It's nothing revolutionary but it's a really fun album overall, plenty of cool melodic leads and some nice riffing beneath. The closing track was my favourite by far, I love this kind of sentimental-sounding stuff (and if it has an acoustic guitar then you've already got me), but it's a solid album as a whole. Definitely sounds promising in my opinion.

And I think it's been mentioned before, but there definitely is a Bruce Dickinson feel to Todd's voice. Nothing wrong with it, but sometimes I really had that in my head.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:24 pm 

I'm really liking it more and more. About half of it is just kick ass, and has tons of attitude and cool riffing like the 80s stuff. I think if it had another good song like the first half of the disc tacked into the second half, I'd give it a low-90s score percentile rating.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:18 am 

Yeah, the album is crap I haven't decided what's worse the Disturbed riffs or the fact Todd sounds like he's been boosted by the studio. Another album for one of the worst albums of 2013 songs such as In this light show how pussified the band has become, this album sounds like an attempt to reach the charts or something. R.I.P Toddryche.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:44 am 

Veracs wrote:
the Disturbed riffs

Can't tell if the entire post is troll or serious, especially this part...

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:30 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
Veracs wrote:
the Disturbed riffs

Can't tell if the entire post is troll or serious, especially this part...

It's Veracs, just ignore him.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:48 pm 

It'd be easy to think this sounds like Disturbed if you didn't listen to it at all. It'd also be easy to think THIS album is reaching for the charts if, yknow, you had no fucking idea that Mindcrime and Empire existed in the late 80s and early 90s, and had several chart-topping numbers. Seems a bit silly to criticize this album for it when the band has had far bigger commercial successes than anything off of this new one is likely to be, and also pandered way harder to the mainstream in the past than they do here.

Geoff Tate's solo album is much more of a hollow sell-out than this one.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:56 pm 

I never listened to those albums don't care about him the first four songs are sappy, dry, and sound like Disturbed riffs, I didn't bother to listen to the rest after Redemption, so what that song had a few dual-melodies that sounded vaguely similar to their first album. Its a crap album and if it sells that's swell, it doesn't change the fact that its not worth the time of day to listen too. I thought that Todd actually had a good voice based on the videos I saw of him singing old Queensryche material and some stuff from Crimson glory, but the production clearly boosts his voice so I guess he isn't as good as I thought. Garbage material but it totally makes sense you could enjoy it

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:34 pm 

Pretty much everything I understood from the post is that the album is crappy because it's crappy, and sounds like Disturbed riffs because something, and you heard Todd singing well elsewhere, but on the album he apparently sings well because his voice is boosted.

Hm.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:06 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Yeah, the album is crap I haven't decided what's worse the Disturbed riffs or the fact Todd sounds like he's been boosted by the studio. Another album for one of the worst albums of 2013 songs such as In this light show how pussified the band has become, this album sounds like an attempt to reach the charts or something. R.I.P Toddryche.

Yeah, cause the band instead making radio friendly wannabe rock shit alas Dedicated to Chaos or Tate's stuff, decided to have some balls and make more complex and heavy stuff with this S/T (it's not like is uber heavy and complex, but it's more crafted than anything since at least Tribe and definitely heavier than DtC and AS).

I can't help but laugh with the 'attempt to reach the charts' line. Really, Journey was a prog rock band and that changed their style for AOR for label and commercial reasons and they got big as fuck! QR should be doing way better playing watered down Bon Jovi stuff than metal. Or better, COUNTRY. That sells a lot, right? or get David Draiman or Chester Bennington to sing with them! Why did such of anti-mainstream decision of getting a power metal singer when they can get someone more mainstream and successful! wait... why not getting Justin Timberlake? that would assure millions of sold albums!

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:01 pm 

They've already reached the charts according to Emps argumentum ad populum in past albums for dumbing their original heavy metal for artfag rock with garbage like Operation mindcrime. Just from the few songs I've heard its clear that a "return to form" was a mere second priority to writing radio friendly chorus oriented shit songs. Todd's voice is so laughably innoffensive and the heavier moments so sparse that this album is at best another prog filler piece that will fill the QR back catalogue along with the rest of the horseshit the band has done post Warning. The Romance period is over and the material while nowhere near as shit as Geoff's version, is still woefully emasculated as the radio rock prospects it aims for

Under_Starmere wrote:

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:15 pm 

Veracs wrote:
They've already reached the charts according to Emps argumentum ad populum in past albums for dumbing their original heavy metal for artfag rock with garbage like Operation mindcrime.

:lol: Alright, this tells me everything.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:17 pm 

Suck it up kid. In the albums defense it couldve been a lot worse, but the band shoulve strives for much more.

Under_Starmere wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:19 pm 

Veracs wrote:
garbage like Operation mindcrime.

...WHAT.

Spoiler: show

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:19 pm 

Veracs wrote:
They've already reached the charts according to Emps argumentum ad populum in past albums for dumbing their original heavy metal for artfag rock with garbage like Operation mindcrime.

I think it's more honest to say 'I fucking hate the band', you know? now you'll say something like Chad Kroeger sings with more passion than Todd.

(From this point onwards, expect the unexpected!)

Anyway and getting back to the OP, the album's replay value is great. It feels better with further listens and utterly destroys Taintryche.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:07 pm 

High replay value is right. I've listened to the CM stream multiple times and have ordered it. All round its a really strong record, comeback or not. I just hope the next one will have lengthier songs.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 am 

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=192035

Looks like Toddryche outsells Tateryche by 8,000 copies. I wonder if Geoff will publicly react to this.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Veracs wrote:

I think it's more honest to say 'I fucking hate the band', you know? now you'll say something like Chad Kroeger sings with more passion than Todd.

(From this point onwards, expect the unexpected!)

Anyway and getting back to the OP, the album's replay value is great. It feels better with further listens and utterly destroys Taintryche.

Maybe he thinks the EP is the ony good thing they did before they sold out.
TheJizzHammer wrote:
http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=192035

Looks like Toddryche outsells Tateryche by 8,000 copies. I wonder if Geoff will publicly react to this.

The comments are AWESOME on that story, particularly mister mish's.
I also can't wait to see what Geoff Tate will say...

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:00 pm 

Oh hey, the actual Queensryche's new album was actually pretty damn good. Lots of great vocal hooks and plenty of energy for a band that has sounded so tired for the past 10 years.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:20 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Oh hey, the actual Queensryche's new album was actually pretty damn good. Lots of great vocal hooks and plenty of energy for a band that has sounded so tired for the past 10 years.

That's what getting rid of that piece of garbage Geoff Tate does to a band.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:29 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

That's what getting rid of that piece of garbage Geoff Tate does to a band.

... and Jason Slater... and Kelly Gray... and...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16