Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:25 am 

I will say this much: That track was a step up from Wot We Do. But I'm also pretty sure that Bossa Nova Beatles album by DJ Zen at the local grocery store is better than Wot We Do. So, you know, gold star, you get to ride the short bus home today.

I'm giving the edge to LaTorRyche just because it avoided the numetal riffs. Radio alt-rock riffs maybe, but that opening Tate riff was just... yeah no.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:34 am 

It's approximately a draw for me. Tate's is pretty generic PA system rock throughout, while LaTorre's has greater highs and is more reminiscent of pre-HITNF Ryche but also contains a couple cringeworthy moments. I expected a lot less from Tate's though.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:38 am 

I also expected a lot worse than that. My only problem is just how much it sounds like a Nickelback or Breaking Benjamin tune. Nothing wrong with that had this been a solo tune, but he's passing it off as QR, which in my opinion are NOT two bands that QR should sound like.

On another note, video was released last night of the Tateryche dress rehearsal. However, they were taken down after they spread around, so all that exists is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QspjN7W2yz8

Which after watching the full Tateryche performance of the song, they included the better half in there. It seems Tateryche has tuned all the Operation songs down to Eb.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:40 am 

Cold huh.

It's not offensively bad, but it's mediocre modern rock with no riffs to speak of and sure as hell ain't Queensryche. That solo was pretty sweet on first impression though. Which one of the 27 musicians/producers/janitors Tate has hired to make this album is responsible?

p.s. Found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhjYgNZUsNU
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:34 am 

I thought "Redemption" was an awesome song. It sounds like they brought back their 80's spirit, but kept it fresh and modern (in a good way). Some of these people talking about how it is "barely metal" need to get a room, it's clearly a metal song. And anyone who is surprised by comments that the album will not be full-on metal needs to go back and listen to "Operation Mindcrime", because many of the songs on that album were more hard rock-oriented than heavy metal ("Revolution Calling", for instance). I think that what matters, is that the band members have revived their old spirit somewhat (with some new elements added), with a more-than-capable vocalist whose vocals are almost up to par with Tate in his prime.

The Tate song was just another hard rock "anthem" track. He goes for the big choruses because he cannot hit the high notes anymore. I mean, listen to this pathetic attempt to sing "Eyes of a Stranger": http://youtu.be/ubdumxOuWzk

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:31 pm 

Judging from the Tate samples, this album will probably be a bottom-heavy one like most of his recent ones. It still seems more consistent, though, and the second half has a fair few interesting ideas. Should be one of the better albums this year.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:33 pm 

If that Geoff Tate bullshit is what you expect to be one of the better albums of the year, I question what exactly is bad to you.
Hehe, foreskins.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:37 pm 

It really does sound better than anything else he's done in the last 10 years or so, but yeah, would be a sad day if that album was one of the best of the year. It's a decently constructed, by the numbers rock song.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:28 pm 

Well, shit. "Cold" is still merely alright and "Life Without You" tries its best to evoke the intro from "Revolution Calling," so it gets cookie points, but the rest of those samples are just painful.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:46 pm 

enigmatech wrote:
Some of these people talking about how it is "barely metal" need to get a room

So, according to you, anybody with functioning ears is required to fuck everybody else who also can hear?

enigmatech wrote:
go back and listen to "Operation Mindcrime", because many of the songs on that album were more hard rock-oriented than heavy metal

Ah, but if that fails, then it's no longer an issue to notice that QR has not been balls-out metal for quite awhile... Oh-kay. Hmm. Nah, you're still not making any kind of sense.

Yeah, between this guy getting all defensive about the "awesome" TorreRÿche song, and that other guy saying that the TateRÿche album should be one of the best of 2013... I'd say we're pretty well-covered as far as QR family members participation in this thread goes. :D

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:06 am 

Crick wrote:
If that Geoff Tate bullshit is what you expect to be one of the better albums of the year, I question what exactly is bad to you.

Plenty of things, but I'm not sure that you're in any position to say this.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:55 am 

The absolute worst music I enjoy is still miles ahead of tepid radio rock with shit riffs. Who the fuck still likes that bullshit, people who were in a coma since 2003?

(I'm not personally offended, I just loathe anything with those awful, limp dicked radio tailored choruses. I hear these things called "anthems", but the last thing they make me want to do is sing along and raise my fist. Fuck this shit.)
Hehe, foreskins.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:14 am 

Listened to both out of curiosity. As for Tate, I'm surprised by how un-terrible this is, the verse riff is actually pretty cool and there is some actual energy (!) in the song. Though it's still pretty predictable and there's the usual backing vocals abuse (seriously, if this guy wants to prove so much how important he is, can someone tell me why the fuck in like everything he's made in the past X years, there HAS to be a ton of backing vocals in places where they ruin the entire effect?)

However, the Queensryche song drags for a little too long I think, but overall it's a pretty damn solid song, and vocally... there's just not much to compare, really. Todd does sound indeed a bit like Bruce Dickinson, but... please. He eats Tate for breakfast. And the song is definitely more creative.

(And yeah, I'm intentionally calling the former "Tate" and the latter "Queensryche")

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:02 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
So yeah, the closest actual examples I can think of would be when Rod Evans was walking around with his fake Deep Purple under the active Deep Purple's nose, the two rival Survivor line-ups in the 90s, or the same thing with LA Guns in the 2000s.
Actually, the bogus Evans line-up happened in 1980, while DP were disbanded. Blackmore and Glover were in Rainbow; Paice and Lord were in Whitesnake, Gillan was in Gillan, Coverdale was also in Whitesnake (where else?) and Hughes was nowhere to be found. I don't know the whereabouts of Nick Simper either. There is a great tribute page here: http://www.cream-revival-band.com/Bogus ... _1980.html

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, Tony Iommi's Black Sabbath; those were legitimate. But Geoff Tate's Queensrÿche ?

Tate really showed once more that he has no class at all. He's just pathetic. As for the contents of that album, can't expect anything better than his 2002 solo album. I can't believe how many has-beens he is packing as well (the Sarzo brothers..).

Agga40
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:34 am 

Wow, goes to show ya what ya miss if you totally stop paying attention to a band. All this drama is complete new news to me. Its sad, very sad. Geoff Taint is a huge douchenozzle, there's no way for me to ignore that. I cant enjoy the classic (GOOD) Queensryche as much anymore now because of this shit, wtf?! With that said, Taint's voice is shot to hell. I think the REAL Ryche will turn out as the eventual winners in this little dispute. Taint comes off as a pretentious little baby, not cool at all.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:56 am 

Ribos wrote:
I will say this much: That track was a step up from Wot We Do. But I'm also pretty sure that Bossa Nova Beatles album by DJ Zen at the local grocery store is better than Wot We Do. So, you know, gold star, you get to ride the short bus home today.

I searched for that song... WOT DA HELL! at any moment 50 cent would break in to rap about getting rich or die tryin'. It almost sounds like a Maroon 5 song!

Hell, why Tate doesn't get some respect for himself? John Arch has not been very active but his voice has aged very well and he at least hasn't released a single terrible alt rock crap! damn, I would prefer to stay inactive instead of this shitfest.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:24 am 

Well, sure, but Arch isn't in it for the money, let alone openly admitting to it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:12 pm 

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=188821

So Frequency Unknown is up for streaming in its entirety. It's not as god awful as I thought it'd be but it still doesn't deserve the Queensryche name by any stretch of the imagination.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 pm 

With Tate having released a solo album in Nov 2012, it's hard to imagine where he could have found enough inspiration for 10 or so new songs.

Perhaps some of it is not too awful indeed, but I still have to plow through American Soldier (which I made the mistake of buying but gave up after two spins or so) and yet to stream the one following that.. And I don't see a good reason not to stream the last Tate (Kings & Thieves) if I am to stream this FU album. So, a lot of work ahead, in the possible hope to discover "not so awful" music, maybe a total of 5-6 listenable songs.

Yeah, I'll keep thinking about it.

JStock
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:22 am 

kalervon wrote:
With Tate having released a solo album in Nov 2012, it's hard to imagine where he could have found enough inspiration for 10 or so new songs.

that's not a problem, as he has a lot of friends or external composers to write songs for him!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:38 pm 

That was actually fucking terrible for QR. Maybe for your run of the mill alternative local pub band, faceless AOR band or your dad's band it might pass at least as background music in a lounge for something, but for QR? not chance in hell.

Let's hope Toddryche will do a better job.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:34 pm 

I think the big problem is that Tate never intended for Frequency Unknown to be those things like "relevant", or "artistic", or, well..."good". The record exists only as a means of furthering his pissing contest with his former bandmates, and it's absolutely transparent, given the big ol' "FU" right there on the cover. I've heard worse albums, sure, but it makes it difficult for me to muster up anything good to say about this, given how soulless it is on a fundamental level. I mean, hell, at least with St. Anger and Lulu, Metallica legitimately thought they were creating good records rather than just putting music to plastic as a means to "get back" at someone.

That all said, if this was the next Operation Mindcrime or The Warning, I'd probably up and buy it anyway, because at the end of the day, music can still be freaking awesome no matter the circumstances it took to create it. After all, Killing Is My Business... was fueled by Dave Mustaine's desire to get back at Metallica and be "faster and meaner" than his former bandmates, and it's a thrash classic that has a place in most metal fans' collections. But that's a moot point, because from what I heard, it doesn't come close to either album.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:18 pm 

Well there's a difference between wanting to write a better album (while being a young, up-and-coming musician just finding his way) than the other guys, and wanting to be first (and being a fat washed-up old has-been). Dave Mustaine actually formed a real band with other fresh new talents, built up a repertoire, and released an album when he was ready to (by the time Killing is My Business was released, Metallica were already touring on their second album), while Tater rounded up a bunch of hair band musicians who should have retired 20 years ago and threw something together in a few months. Tateryche isn't even a real band, it's just a collection of scabs, like one of those supergroups where a bunch of famous musicians come together but have no chemistry and thus can't actually use any of their talent, except nobody there actually has any talent remaining.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Last edited by Woolie_Wool on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:21 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Well there's a difference between wanting to write a better album (while being a young, up-and-coming musician just finding his way) than the other guys, and wanting to be first (and being a fat washed-up old has-been). Dave Mustaine actually formed a real band with other fresh new talents, built up a repertoire, and released an album when he was ready to (by the time Killing is My Business was released, Metallica were already touring on their second album), while Tater rounded up a bunch of hair band musicians who should have retired 20 years ago and threw something together in a few months.

That's very true. :wink: I wasn't meaning to compare the exact conditions behind the albums directly, but point taken.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:23 pm 

Think of it this way--Frequency Unknown is a means to an end (for Tater to win his legal battle against Queensryche) while Killing is My Business was the end itself.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:24 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Think of it this way--Frequency Unknown is a means to an end (for Tater to win his legal battle against Queensryche) while Killing is My Business was the end itself.

I like that way of looking at it.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 pm 

There's marketing puffery, and then there's "are you fucking me" slap-in-the-face nonsense.

Quote:
After 30+ years of music making, most bands are content to simply trudge along, putting out the same old type of album again and again, trying to recapture the glory of days past. Not this band, not Queensrÿche. With every new release, Geoff Tate and company push themselves into new directions, new sounds, and dizzying new heights. The result is that Queensrÿche is just as vital and musically relevant today as they ever were. Even when they revisit older ideas, as they did in 2006 with the long awaited sequel to Operation: Mindcrime, the result was one of the most thrilling releases of their extraordinary career. Now, a new chapter is about to be written, a new album, and a new line-up that unites frontman Tate with a stellar group of new players and seasoned vets. Arguably the heaviest version of Queensrÿche ever assembled, the band not only wrote and recorded the 10 brand new songs on Frequency Unknown, but also will be hitting the road to perform the entire Operation: Mindcrime album at select venues across the nation in celebration of that album’s 25th anniversary. Make no mistake about it, Queensrÿche is still a musical force to be reckoned with and their legions of fans will undoubtedly be celebrating in 2013!

I wonder if someone felt dead inside after writing that.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 pm 

You're assuming marketing copywriters have souls. I dispute this assertion.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:16 pm 

At least they got the dizzying part right. Seems contagious too. Now I'm feeling dizzy.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 am 

Entire Mindcrime album, huh? Who will be performing lead vocals behind the curtain, then? :scratch:

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:31 am 

I can't believe they wrote "seasoned vets".. They probably meant "seasoned vests".

Seriously, he got Brad Giilis and Rudy Sarzo on this.. half of "Speaking of the Devil". Another album that was part of a turf war (vs. Black Sabbath's "Live eviL", disputing Sabbath's old repertoire, though Ozzy's album came out first). No disrespect to Sarzo and Gillis here, I enjoyed "SotD" quite a lot, and at least Ozzy released it under his own name, but what goes around comes around.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:31 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:

I refuse to believe that was written by a professional, it bleeds cringe-worthy facebook-bio.

I dunno guys, I said before I could probs get into the stuff the LaTorre line-up was going, but revisiting it and it is pretty by the numbers, as is this. If anything, at least this one has better production...

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:32 am 

:lol: That blurb is great. I mean, what the fuck are they going to say anyway? They were grasping for straws with this and that crap is the best they could ever possibly come up with, in any world.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 am 

The new stuff from both bands blows, and Queensryche should have died over 20 years ago.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:23 pm 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:

I refuse to believe that was written by a professional, it bleeds cringe-worthy facebook-bio.
Indeed, probably the same people who were fired from running the fan club before Tate was fired wrote this. I don't think GT is anywhere succesful enough to need to resort to anyone professional, aside of musicians, ghost-songwriters, toupet makers and possibly back-up singers.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:12 am 

The album stream has since been removed. Lol.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:41 pm 

And in other news, Tateryche will get another drummer come June.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=188947

That marks more lineup changes for Tateryche in less than a year than the actual Queensryche has had in it's entire career.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:48 pm 

So funny, the TATANIC!

Last edited by Kveldulfr on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:44 pm 

He's always searching for the vest talents in washed-up hair bands.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:00 pm 

You guys are becoming too invested in these jokes.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next