Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:42 am 

Empyreal wrote:
"El Gringo" [...] but then again it is a soundtrack song, so eh, it's excusable. I don't get why they're putting it on the album then, though.

In hopes it'll help sell more copies of the album, should the movie and/or the single meet any commercial success. That's pretty standard procedure for mainstream, popular, dollar-driven bands.

Kalsten wrote:
Hail, Kill And Die!

I really think that they have a software with a small database of around 15 words, and the software generates random titles for their tracks. I prefer to think that than accepting the truth of ManOwaR post Louder than Hell.

You must have them confused with (Luca Turilli's) Rhapsody (Of Fire), DragonForce, and others. They've clearly been shuffling the shit out of that '[adverb] the [badass_term1] of the [badass_term2] and the [badass_term3]' RTG for quite a while, and goofy though it may be, the results generally surpass any post-Boss-era Manowar songtitle (I wish they implemented a "been-there-done-that" check in the script, though). Now, "[popular songtitle from our former glories] + [badass_term]", what kind of self-loathing RTG is that?! :lol:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:09 am 

Just gave the album a listen. The band has done away with the orchestras and choirs that they utilised heavily in the last few albums. They've attempted to go back to their 80s sound to some extent. The songs don't have the pomp that Manowar are known for. One throw back that they did away with that is welcome is the lack of bass solos. Its definitely a heavy record though, but that still doesn't make it good.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:02 am 

Kalsten wrote:
And really, the drums? I have programmed better drums for recording my guitar at home.

I've heard better "metal beat" presets in $50 Casio synthesizers.

PS I love Manowar! Ross the Boss era Manowar that is.

ptrocks
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:05 am 

Well, its probably better than the last few , but still ... only Ross the Boss could really save this i guess ...

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:15 am 

I just listened to the album and...what is this? Why do the drums sound like plastic of all things? Plus the guitar tone is totally inoffensive. There is some riffing to be had but it's all very bland and recycled. The song lack basic heavy metal energy. The best thing about the record is probably Eric but even his vocals are nothing to scream about. The compositions themselves are not that bad but are basicly throwbacks to "Louder Than Hell"-era Manowar.

Ah - an the bass sounds totally terrible.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:43 am 

Really hope that this bass tone is just the result of a crappy upload quality... It sounds like someone is loudly farting underneath the music. Which is nothing special anyways... So it's basically average metal with loud farts.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:53 am 

Oh my.. the album is so horrible :( I mean, the drums sound so horrible and artificial, the guitar tone sucks. There are pretty much no riffs and the songs themselves are all recycled. I had hope, you know? Hope that it would be a good record. Nope, it sucks.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Kuranes Trevor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:05 pm 

Doesn't sound too bad!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:38 pm 

Listening now, and I'm 100% sure this was made in Guitar Pro. That guitar tone... I'm fucking sure of it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:37 pm 

I'm listening to it on Youtube...is the mix really weird to anyone else? I just feel like the vocals aren't loud enough or something. Maybe it's just Youtube. The production is kinda thin and not very powerful either. I want to like this more than I do, but it's pretty bland so far.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:41 pm 

Not horrible like I expected. "Manowarriors" has pretty good lyrics "In heavy metal we believe, if you don't like it you can leave" would make a good tagline for any metal site. Mix is weak, riffs are weak, overall, doesn't sound very spirited. Can't imagine much effort went into it.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:40 pm 

I like it!

My only complain is the bass

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:57 am 

It has a few good moments. It really starts out great, powerfully enough and "Manowarriors" in particular will live on their set lists for quite a while. Generally though, it comes off as lazy and uninspired. And where is the sound of Donnie Hamzik reasserting himself?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:14 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Listening now, and I'm 100% sure this was made in Guitar Pro. That guitar tone... I'm fucking sure of it.

Jesus christ, it sounds fucking terrible. Absolutely muddy, £20 amplifier distortion on the guitars and Hamzik's drums sound like shit. The fun thing will be watching Joey talk up this album's sound in the press, though.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:25 am 

I am unable to say anything good about this album. I'm sure it'll be a hit in Eastern Europe and South America regardless, but ugh! It sounds so BAD!

Yawns
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:26 am 

I don't know, it didn't click with me. The entire thing comes off weak, uninspired and boring, actually. But then, I didn't really like anything after Louder Than Hell, I guess.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:57 am 

I'm only a handful of songs in right now, but I see know reason to continue. Everything that I've heard absolutely sucks balls. From production (guitar, bass, and drums all sound like absolute shit), to the lack of riffs, to the shitty solos, and to the stupidly grand-esque keyboards. Wholly uninspired and vapid. I've always liked the majority of a Manowar album, but there is no hope here.

Xanzotire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:36 pm 

Oh god, that tone. Fuck, I never usually complain about tone since, you know, it's metal, as long as the songs are good then decent tone and production is really just a bonus. But urgh, that horrible buzzing noise, how on earth could anyone think that was a good idea?
Rush in and die, dogs--I was a man before I was a king." - R. Howard

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:31 pm 

Does anybody think the song "Expendable" was Manowar's lame attempt at trying to get on the soundtrack to the Stallone movie "The Expendables", or the upcoming sequel? Reading the lyrics it was pretty obvious to me. It's even only 3:10 long, which is really short for Manowar but the perfect length for a movie theme song. Coincidence? I don't think so. I think they were hoping to see some serious movie $$$ when they were writing this song. Nice try guys. :lol:

I get professional pay
To make people go away
They got nothing to say
I’m expendable that’s my claim to fame
I’m expendable don’t have to know my name
Take a look into my dark side
Oh that’s a window to my soul
Your watching on the outside
Yea that’s all you people know
So bring a knife or a gun
And i’ll show you what their for
Both of them are fun
When the raven’s at your door
Cause i will survive
With no one left around me
Cause your all gonna die
Together we ride
With vengeance inside
For our brother who died
We got blood on our minds
No we may not return
But many will burn
With a story to tell
How we took them to hell

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:11 pm 

That fucking bass sounds like a soundtrack for a shitty NES game.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:59 pm 

I listened to the album earlier today and thought it was rather mediocre. Nowhere near as boring as the bulk of Gods Of War and a few tracks make for some fun ear candy, but it still manages to be pretty dull. Maybe it'd be more enjoyable with repeated listens but I just can't care enough to go through the same old lyrics with the same old structures. I'm just gonna skip this one for the time being...

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:19 am 

@Evoken: Your sure their typed it like that? :P

I thought "El Gringo" was going to be (or at least meant to be) on a Stallone movie soundtrack already?

RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:21 am 

I'd rather listen to this song than the new Manowar album hahaha;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUWHiFUD ... ature=plcp

BaronBlitzkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:31 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
I thought "El Gringo" was going to be (or at least meant to be) on a Stallone movie soundtrack already?

I think it's on the soundtrack of this film, but Stallone isn't in it.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:02 am 

Expendable was inspired by the Stallone movies: Source

Quote:
Known for their adventurous spirit and for never releasing the same style of album twice in a row, MANOWAR have this time tapped into the world of action heroes and their stories, writing their first song specifically for a Hollywood movie, EL GRINGO and another one, Expendable, inspired by Sylvester Stallone’s action movie franchise ‘The Expendables’.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:38 pm 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
Expendable was inspired by the Stallone movies: Source

Quote:
Known for their adventurous spirit and for never releasing the same style of album twice in a row, MANOWAR have this time tapped into the world of action heroes and their stories, writing their first song specifically for a Hollywood movie, EL GRINGO and another one, Expendable, inspired by Sylvester Stallone’s action movie franchise ‘The Expendables’.

At least they admitted it. Honestly if they were just writing a song influenced by the movie that's fine, but I really have a feeling that it was only written to try and catch the attention of Stallone, hoping he would use it in the upcoming sequel.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:34 pm 

Quote:

:???: Somehow I don't believe that.

And yeah, the album sucks. Admittedly I wasn't expecting much after Joey said they threw out all the other material they had written, but even so the sound of this album is remarkably "rush job" ish. "Hail, Kill and Die" is proof how watered down they have gotten.

spacelordjones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:21 pm 

Manowar have always gotten a lot of hate, and they deserve it in many ways. Their image has always been an impossible pill to swallow for many fans of metal (also in an age where many "metalheads" dont even really listen to traditional metal). Their latest isn't their best, but its enjoyable all the way through with some genuinely awesome Manowarish moments. They lay it on extra thick this time, knowing that it will send all critics of their sound and style into a violent frenzy of ........typing on a keyboard.

Have Manowar ever had any shred of self awareness? The answer is a giant and shocking YES. Every disjointed lyric, ridiculous interview, and underwear adorned album cover has been a predetermined action to represent just how fucking Manowar they are. There is no straddling the fence with Manowar, you are on one side of the canyon or the other.

Metal is art, but its also supposed to be fun. I always have fun when I jam Manowar. "The Lord of Steel" is not going to change the world, but its certainly not as bad as the consensus, its rather good in fact.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:38 pm 

The problem isn't their silly image, I don't think anybody honestly thinks they wear their loincloths to the supermarket. The problem is that this album is just uninspired and boring. Keep in mind that after this, the newest Manowar album I know is Triumph of Steel, a whopping twenty years older. They USED to be full of vigor and spirit, making the ridiculous awesome. Now here we have an album full of dull, phoned in songs with a hilariously atrocious production.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Sourcrout
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:23 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
The problem is that this album is just uninspired and boring.

The problem is that people didn't see that coming. The crappiness of it came as no surprise, I think. WOTW had its moments, but it's kind of lame overall, and GOW wasn't even a metal album, just 80 minutes of filler. Oh, and the shitty Battle Hymns MMXI was just a lack of everything, I guess. The new album just put the final nail in the coffin.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:39 pm 

spacelordjones wrote:
...(also in an age where many "metalheads" dont even really listen to traditional metal).

Haha, what?

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

spacelordjones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:57 pm 

ralfikk123 wrote:
spacelordjones wrote:
...(also in an age where many "metalheads" dont even really listen to traditional metal).

Haha, what?

thats a topic all its own

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:46 pm 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
That fucking bass sounds like a soundtrack for a shitty NES game.

Sounds like Manowar are showing their respects to goregrind.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:46 am 

This is my introduction to Manowar and ouch, that was laughable at best. Not that it would have made this album much better, but they should have given this album the ...AJFA treatment.

JAGEagent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:48 am 

It reminded me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ-Zpjdaon0

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:11 am 

Dooders wrote:
This is my introduction to Manowar

Really? Why would you do that? "Oh good, this early 80s legendary band that everybody agrees has only been a parody of itself for at least 15 years just released an album everybody is now shitting upon. Let's try that shit out!" Somehow I fail to see the appeal in that logic.

JAGEagent wrote:
It reminded me of this.

Which, shockingly, is a bad-ManoWar-ized rip off of this 1965 Gainsbourg melody.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:02 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Dooders wrote:
This is my introduction to Manowar

Really? Why would you do that? "Oh good, this early 80s legendary band that everybody agrees has only been a parody of itself for at least 15 years just released an album everybody is now shitting upon. Let's try that shit out!" Somehow I fail to see the appeal in that logic.

Just saw the link for that song and decided to listen to it. You act like I just ruined any possibility of ever liking Manowar and lost all chance at giving them another listen.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:04 am 

Sourcrout wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
The problem is that this album is just uninspired and boring.

The problem is that people didn't see that coming. The crappiness of it came as no surprise, I think. WOTW had its moments, but it's kind of lame overall, and GOW wasn't even a metal album, just 80 minutes of filler. Oh, and the shitty Battle Hymns MMXI was just a lack of everything, I guess. The new album just put the final nail in the coffin.

This. It's like you have to suck HORRIBLY for the majority of metal fans to actually realize it.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:10 pm 

@Dooders
Spoiler: show
Well, first impressions tend to be tough getting past, and I just figured that if you actually managed to not be exposed to any ManoWar material for all these years, a bad first impression might keep you from trying them out for even longer (I have no idea for how long you've been into metal, though, I'm just wild guessing; but unless it's not been that long, or you haven't really explored much traditional, heavy, epic, and/or power metal so far... it's one of these bands that are hard to avoid altogether). Anyway. Fair enough. Now you have stumbled upon that link as well. ;)

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:09 pm 

Very funny Manowar, now where's the real album?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next