Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 pm 

I'll definitely take this as an excuse to give this album a go! I am unfortunately one of those guys that can get turned off by shoddy production.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:51 pm 

I've heard Dopesmoker plenty of times, and while I dig it - I can't get into it quite as much as I can Holy Mountain. HM is a fucking monolithic, groovy slab of stoner metal that holds the attention far better than Dopesmoker. However, I do enjoy DS, and the new artwork is kickass, and I've never been able to get my hands on it, so I guess I'm going to pick this up. You know what would be sweet? A vinyl release with a lithograph of the poster.

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:15 pm 

Evoken wrote:
If anybody cares, Daymare Recordings is going to be releasing this reissue in Japan, but it'll be a 2CD set. The first disc will have the Dopesmoker song, and disc 2 will have two songs: "Holy Mountain" (Live), and "Sonic Titan"

Thanks for the info. Will keep this in mind.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:40 pm 

The cover looks cool. Looks just like a cover from my Dad's 70's Vinyl collection.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:58 pm 

Just revealed:

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:14 pm 

It has already been posted man! ;)

Toberium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:32 pm 

I was modestly excited until I saw that new art work. Boring, Star-Wars deviantart, pacman logo, the list goes on. Plus, it really kinda spoon feeds you the imagination. Now that we see what the Weedians look like, why should I listen to an hour long song?

I'm probably overreacting a bit, but that's just me. I loved the other two covers. Why this, something devoid of psychedelia, devoid of Sleep?

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:52 am 

693 wrote:
It has already been posted man! ;)

Late to the party again! Well, I think the artwork is great when put in context, but I was hoping for it to be a bit more tripped out and a different color/style logo. Definitely picking this up on vinyl and lets hope they include a poster. Lately Southern Lord has been doing shirts for their releases so I will hope for one of those as well.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:52 am 

When is this supposed to be released?

Mogidisimo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:45 pm 

bronxeel wrote:
When is this supposed to be released?

May 8th, according to Amazon.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:48 pm 

Ah, finally somone got a release date... I have to check it out. I never really got into the stuff I've heard by them before. And a friend played this record to me and some other people once and I kinda liked it. So I will probably check out the whole record again when the re-release is out!

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:51 pm 

Looking forward to this!

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:30 pm 

This is awesome news for those like me who were unable to grab the album while it was still relatively easy (and cheap!) to get. I'm a little disappointed that the artwork has changed but the new art fits the scheme of Dopesmoker. I will be definitely grabbing this next month. :headbang:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:51 pm 

I love the new artwork. A lot. I love that Sleep is more or less making a comeback, as this is exactly what should happen when a guy from a less famous band gets into a far more famous one.

However, I wonder what the master is ultimately gonna fix. I guess the old one is a little flat.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:28 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
However, I wonder what the master is ultimately gonna fix. I guess the old one is a little flat.

How much different is Jerusalem to Dopesmoker mix wise?

I only have Dopesmoker on CD and it's great. I keep thinking i should buy Jerusalem at some stage though. So much musics, so little moneys.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:16 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

How much different is Jerusalem to Dopesmoker mix wise?

I only have Dopesmoker on CD and it's great. I keep thinking i should buy Jerusalem at some stage though. So much musics, so little moneys.

Jersualem is actually a different recording. Its about 10 minutes shorter. I think that the mix on Dopesmoker is heavier.

TheDragonaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:14 pm 

I imagine I'll pick this up instead of the Tee Pee reissue. I certainly like the new artwork better.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:27 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Razakel wrote:
Wow, that's beautiful. The weed priests look a lot like a cross between Jawas and Tusken Raiders. I think I might have found a new desktop background.

Please shoot me a PM if you find one in a suitable size. That was THE first things I started looking for when I saw it.

Or even post it on here! My first reaction was also to look for a decent sized picture and I couldn't find one :(

EDIT: Apparently I didn't look hard enough. Here it is in all its glory:
Spoiler: show

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:20 pm 

Any version of this is worth it. As I already own the CD version, I won't be picking this up (I can't justify owning it twice, sadly, as I'm poor). I'm just investing the money I would spend on it on seeing them for the second time in 6 weeks. Totally fucking worth it.

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:47 am 

Hoping I can score these wholesale at a decent price....

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:24 am 

cool, i now have an original [us release] of sleep's holy mountain to compare to my 2009 reissue :thumbsup:

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:47 am 

Not a fan of changing the cover art for reissues at all. :S
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:38 am 

the nu-dopesmokah turned up on the shelves over here sometime in the past week or so
i'd be keen to see a vinyl version

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:24 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Wow, that's beautiful. The weed priests look a lot like a cross between Jawas and Tusken Raiders. I think I might have found a new desktop background.

Fremen also came to mind for me! I can see how people might be opposed to new covers for reissues, but I do like this one.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:06 pm 

The band was apparently never a fan of the artwork on the prior versions, which is most likely why they reissued this with new artwork. I'm not always a fan of revised artwork (especially when it's something lazy like changing the color or font of the title or updating a logo) but I can understand it when a band had little or no input in the original artwork or they are unhappy with it and they're taking another shot at it.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:51 pm 

does anyone have all the different versions of this?
that new logo would make a cool patch or t-shirt

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:54 pm 

I think the art on this version captures the feel of the album waaay better than the previous version, especially since it matches the lyrical themes.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:14 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
does anyone have all the different versions of this?
that new logo would make a cool patch or t-shirt

I have Jerusalem on .mp3 and own the TeePee CD. When I get paid, if I can afford it I want to get this version (mainly for the limited edition shirt). However, when I see them in a week and a half, I may try and convince my housemate to buy the new version so I can just rip it from him.

Go on, Mike, you're only 35 once! Do it as a birthday treat!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:38 pm 

'having' the mp3s and ripping the cd doesn't count man ha ha :roll:
are they doing any in store signing or anything cool around your town/city?
you could get your shit autographed, i think i'd wear one of those shirts for sure, i didn't see any in the music shop i was in on sunday though, i might hit them up about it.

chiswick! fresh horses!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:30 am 

hey cool, i just tripped over this snippet from some documentary [Such Hawks Such Hounds] there's a bit of sleep in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlnWpzo2ZcM

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:21 pm 

Even though I prefer vinyl I wouldn't pick up the vinyl version of this remaster. Basicly one song on DOUBLE LP.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:06 pm 

Thought I'd drop in to say the new mix is fantastic. I put on both versions at the same time and it made me realize how flat or muted the Tee Pee version actually is.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:17 pm 

they briefly talk about the different mixes in the video i posted [but not the newest one]
i didn't realise they had the gear made specially for the album, there's a joke [because the gear was green, not orange, right?] wanted ad in the holy mountain booklet
"If you have any Orange amplification for sale contact Sleep through Earache Records"

p.s. don't shoot me if i just faux pas'd on that amp stuff, i don't play or anything ha ha :p

edit: hmm ok they are totally different...? :scratch:
http://greenamps.com/
http://www.orangeamps.com/

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:34 am 

The_Erlking wrote:
Even though I prefer vinyl I wouldn't pick up the vinyl version of this remaster. Basicly one song on DOUBLE LP.

I was going to get this until I realized how much the shipping is. It would cost me over $40 for this LP. I'll just grab the CD from Amazon.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:29 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
'having' the mp3s and ripping the cd doesn't count man ha ha :roll:
are they doing any in store signing or anything cool around your town/city?
you could get your shit autographed, i think i'd wear one of those shirts for sure, i didn't see any in the music shop i was in on sunday though, i might hit them up about it.

chiswick! fresh horses!

No, but the differences between Jerusalem and the TeePee version are pretty obvious, and if my housemate has the new one, I can listen to it the CD at my leisure (which, with Dopesmoker is usually in the bath).

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:52 pm 

Evoken wrote:
If anybody cares, Daymare Recordings is going to be releasing this reissue in Japan, but it'll be a 2CD set. The first disc will have the Dopesmoker song, and disc 2 will have two songs: "Holy Mountain" (Live), and "Sonic Titan"

Bloody Daymare always does rad reissues!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2