* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:16 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
splyu wrote:
I've learned to just phase out the vocals when listening to music, as pretty much all of them annoy me except in folk music. Some rock vocalists I like are Peter Gabriel, Ian Anderson and Geddy Lee. Metal? Ozzy, Dio and Eric Adams. Maybe Dickinson.

Get away from me, you weird person!

:D

I love that response, and I'd love to leave it standing like that, but I still have to qualify what I said. I'm easily annoyed with male vocals. I have a much bigger tolerance for female vocals. I love Kate Bush, Björk, Maggie Reilly and Emma Härdelin, for example. Oh, and another male singer I like is Robert Plant.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:22 pm 

Well..... I don't get it. I don't have a problem with it (it's your taste, after all), but it's very shocking to think you dislike most male vocalists, especially considering the huge amount of stellar singers in metal.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:24 pm 

I like women, that's all there is to it really. ;)

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:24 pm 

I'm the opposite, I can't stand most female vocals. They have to be something really special for me to tale notice.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:25 pm 

I mean, sure, there are some great female metal singers such as Doro Pesch and Elisa C. Martin, but overall women in metal are either a gimmick, annoying, just plain bad, or a combination of the three. It's not about being all macho and shit, but that's just the way I see it.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:33 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I mean, sure, there are some great female metal singers such as Doro Pesch and Elisa C. Martin, but overall women in metal are either a gimmick, annoying, just plain bad, or a combination of the three. It's not about being all macho and shit, but that's just the way I see it.

Well, I totally agree! That's why I listen to tons of non-metal. :D

Seriously, metal is cool and everything, but the guys who earn my respect are those who are at the top of the game. And those are pretty much the ones I've mentioned, though I'm sure I've forgotten quite a few.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:37 pm 

splyu wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Well, I totally agree! That's why I listen to tons of non-metal. :D

You could have said that from the beginning to save me the brain meltdown!

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:20 pm 

Yeah, but why spoil all the fun? ;)

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:39 am 

Now that you speak of women, is precisely in these cases when I'm more interested in the vocals, not precisely the riffs (with some exceptions of course, like Holy Moses or Doro) But very often, the female voices are the only good thing in a band.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:50 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Never mixed music before have you? one of the biggest things is the "competition" for a set frequency space. Guitarist drop a lot of their lows in exchange for mids to avoid mushing all together with the bass and bassist a lot of the time have to play all sorts of fucking games anyway to avoid the death trap of finding more than one or two instrument on the same frequency, which basically sounds like shit.

ah, i thought by "singing over the instruments" you meant intensity rather than frequency

thomash wrote:
Let me put it this way: How irritating would it be for a guitar lead to be mixed as just another instrument? I think most people would agree that the answer is: extraordinarily irritating. Since guitar leads function very similarly to vocals, it makes sense to mix them in a similar way.

define "lead"
you can have the exact same noodly melody in the background - you'll just stop calling it a lead

Amplexus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:39 am 

I agree with the previous posters about wemon singers. Generally I don't like them because they are annoying and seem like gimmick to get guys ogling over breasticles so the band can any attention.

Iron_Boyz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:54 am 

when a vocalist is good, you wanna sing along. When you're without your audio systems and headphones, the only thing you can do with your favorite music would be to sing it. Yeah, a good vocalist is critical.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:57 am 

Amplexus wrote:
I agree with the previous posters about wemon singers. Generally I don't like them because they are annoying and seem like gimmick to get guys ogling over breasticles so the band can any attention.

Wemon? :lol:

Heh, to be honest I'm not really into female vocalists either...don't know why really.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:31 am 

Iron_Boyz wrote:
when a vocalist is good, you wanna sing along. When you're without your audio systems and headphones, the only thing you can do with your favorite music would be to sing it. Yeah, a good vocalist is critical.

you can hum a melody, tap a beat etc.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:34 am 

Amplexus wrote:

There are lots of great female fronted bands too though.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:49 am 

joppek wrote:
Iron_Boyz wrote:

I do a lot of that with many riffs, as well as I do air drumming on the bus, at my job or sometimes when I'm walking listening some stuff.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:27 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
There are lots of great female fronted bands too though.

They do exist, but I find them to be few and far between. Autumn being one of them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:02 pm 

After Forever, old Nightwish, Delain, Flowing Tears...there are lots.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:15 pm 

All bands I don't like :p largely with the same stereotypical type of vocals.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:06 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
joppek wrote:

I do a lot of that with many riffs, as well as I do air drumming on the bus, at my job or sometimes when I'm walking listening some stuff.

Me too! Riffs!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:21 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
All bands I don't like :p largely with the same stereotypical type of vocals.

Well, they're not to your taste, sure. But I guess we just won't see eye to eye on that. Flowing Tears is pretty much the gothic rock-influenced stuff people really want when they hear the term 'goth metal.'

kurtdarkholme
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:26 pm 

Not a lot, unless they're noticeably bad or annoying (see: Chris Barnes in SFU)

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:29 pm 

The vocals was what destroyed Prostitute Disfigurement for me. First three albums where really low pitched pig growling, where it's practically impossible to hear any words (why bother with lyrics?). Fourth album they started using more traditional vocals, but I think that the overall music isn't as good as their earlier stuff.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:38 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Amplexus wrote:

Wemon? :lol:

That would be a great band name.

Quote:
Heh, to be honest I'm not really into female vocalists either...don't know why really.

I can have a guess. Generally, female vocals aren't very badass, and you like badass? Is that it?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:03 pm 

kurtdarkholme wrote:
Not a lot, unless they're noticeably bad or annoying (see: Chris Barnes in SFU)

Be careful, Usernamepassword might be lurking. Also,pretty much Emp, I'm not saying they suck, they're just not my thing.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:13 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
What about bands like Silencer then? Great musically, but terrible to most people vocally ( I personally like it). Is it worth forcing yourself to get accustomed to it and overlooking it because the music itself kicks ass?

you are confusing what good vocals are...a good vocalist is not always a bruce dickinson look a like
sometimes vocals can be used as one more instrument,creating new kinds of estructures,new atmospheres
black metal vocals are just as important as the diminished chords and the tremolo picking to creat
such dark ambientations
vocals really matter to me, sometimes you have a good vocalist but for some sort of reason
the voice just doesnt work or doesnt fulfills the music properly, its not as easy as geting charles sabin or geoff tate
sometimes a dude like La sale Famine de Valfunde is better to complete your musical trip

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:19 pm 

splyu wrote:
Oh, and another male singer I like is Robert Plant.

is it possible to dislike robert plants voice?
led zeppelin is for sure my fav band of all time and
apart from jimmy´s outstanding guitar playing and bonzo´s energy
the vocals are really critical on their greatness

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 pm 

I don't like Robert Plant either.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:48 pm 

I view vocals as an accent to the music. I can take or leave them. Though I have my favorites, I really don't care about lyrics very much and mainly listen for the guitars and drums (heavy on the guitars). Few bands make me really like them due to what the vocals bring - it's usually the riffs. Bands like Asphyx and Hail Of Bullets the vocals fit so perfectly and are done so well they are an exception and add a lot to the music, which is already great.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3