Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:40 am 

so far it's pretty good...it could be better...but it's quality like all Summoning so I'm content. I guess I just wish it was a bit stronger but I think the mp3s I got are crappy quality. The amazon samples sound so much better. Ah well...Summoning always rules and while this doesn't send me into a deep soul searching mood like Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame did when I first heard it in 2003 it's still good. will most likely grow on me as I WILL listen to this a bunch of times.
Reading his books is just exhausting. Detailed descriptions can be great, but in Lord of the Rings when Tolkien takes up an entire page to tell you exactly how a tree looks... just get on with it Tolkien, you sociopath.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:32 am 

Oh my god!
The first scream at the begining of Flammifer sends shivers down my spine!
Waiting for the official release!

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:27 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Plus the guitar groove and synth line is incredibly catchy, although I still personally wish they would at least try an orchestra on a few songs.

Summoning wrote:
We are no mainstream band that likes to show off with some huge orchestras as well and are really proud that we can manage to create all those albums just as a duo and not as a high budget company.

Yeah that still doesn't change my opinion though. I still think it would sound better, especially considering they mimic orchestrated instruments, but then again I'm all for an organic sound and not a mechanical one.

Besides, just because you use an orchestra doesn't mean you're a mainstream band and that you're trying to show off. Just try telling that to Carach Angren.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:27 pm 

Yeah, as someone was saying above, I think my mp3's sound kinda crappy too. Much too quiet sounding...I have the album turned up more than normal and it still just feels sorta distant.

Having said that, it still sounds pretty awesome. I can tell its going to take awhile for me to absorb but it does seem to have the hallmarks of another classic Summoning album.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:01 pm 

I'm not bothering to ruin my anticipation of this album with leaked samples. I've got the limited edition on pre-order (nearly $60 after shipping... ouch) and I'm excited about it. I can't believe it's been 7 years since "Oath Bound." I remember when the anticipation was building for that album and it seemed like such a long time (4 1/2 years) since "Let Mortal Heroes..." Ah, memories.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 pm 

Well, the Youtube videos were taken down recently. Good for them. We've got just over a month to wait.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:32 pm 

For those who've heard the entire album: What's the word on the use of film/media samples this time around? Are they still in abundance like they were on the last two albums or did they tone that shit down? Really hoping for the latter. :|

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:18 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
For those who've heard the entire album: What's the word on the use of film/media samples this time around? Are they still in abundance like they were on the last two albums or did they tone that shit down? Really hoping for the latter. :|

I heard the album last week and I can't remember any samples in detail. I believe there was one, though.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:14 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I heard the album last week and I can't remember any samples in detail. I believe there was one, though.

Nnyyyeeeookay. That's good news. Kinda feel like just waiting for the actual release to hear this. Gonna buy it anyway, might as well build the ol' 8====D. Was listening to Stronghold today and getting pumped opp. Why the hell were people in the FFA talking the other day about Summoning not being metal? :scratch:

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:32 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
What's the word on the use of film/media samples this time around?

I think there's use of a typical Eagle screech in Flammifer. Like this: http://youtu.be/bexop7ZOPP8
Also the Old Mornings Dawn "poem" by the old man, I'm not sure if that's a sample from some audio book or anything...

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:40 pm 

Braltika wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
What's the word on the use of film/media samples this time around?

I think there's use of a typical Eagle screech in Flammifer. Like this: http://youtu.be/bexop7ZOPP8
Also the Old Mornings Dawn "poem" by the old man, I'm not sure if that's a sample from some audio book or anything...

from this interview http://northwind-promotion.org/summoning-interview/ :

"For the first time we now used the voice of an actor who spoke some words exclusively for Summoning – like you can hear in the trailer"
not sure if the actual quote is from anywhere in particular though

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:34 pm 

Gah! That trailer voiceover stuff actually made it onto the album? What the hell. :ugh: It'd better be soaked in reverb.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:56 pm 

It's a lot less annoying on the album man. Works quite well imo.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:33 am 

Gore__Grinder wrote:
not sure if the actual quote is from anywhere in particular though

It's from Tolkien for sure but I do not know which work.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Gah! That trailer voiceover stuff actually made it onto the album? What the hell.

There's no pauzes between the verses of the poem in the actual song. It's spoken during a more quiet part of the song nor is the music volume turned down in an awkward way like in the trailer. No worries!

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:29 am 

Totally hooked on this after a couple of listens. "Caradhras" is definitely the best song and probably one of the best songs they've ever done. Sublime stuff, really.

I love that after 7 years they not only still have "it" but can still work with their tried and true style in new, refreshing ways. I need to buy this.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:57 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Why the hell were people in the FFA talking the other day about Summoning not being metal? :scratch:

Beats the shit out of me. I might need to fire some mods. :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

QueenElizawreck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:07 am 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Totally hooked on this after a couple of listens. "Caradhras" is definitely the best song and probably one of the best songs they've ever done. Sublime stuff, really.

I love that after 7 years they not only still have "it" but can still work with their tried and true style in new, refreshing ways. I need to buy this.

true!

looking forward to this

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:57 pm 

While the law-abiding ( :roll: ) contingent of Summoning fans in the thread wait for Old Mornings Dawn to hit the shelves, I thought I'd bring up the Mirkwood side project from long ago for those who haven't heard it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcYJRO3g8lI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5lpj1QYtrU

It's a damn good 4-track EP of adventurous synthscapes in the dungeon synth vein, though more texturally nuanced and compositionally diverse compared to what one might think of as "canonical" DS. Really great stuff, wonderfully whimsical and imagination-stirring, like the best dungeon synth tends to be. Interesting that it also sounds like its own distinct project, not just Summoning minus everything except keyboards. A lost gem! Plus you get to hear what the original version of "Arkenstone" off Lost Tales sounded like without the lame vocals muddling it up.

Y'all can grab it for free on the Summoning website.

:panda: MIRKWOOD!!!!!!!! :metal: :metal: :metal:

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Mon May 06, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:59 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
Why the hell were people in the FFA talking the other day about Summoning not being metal? :scratch:

Beats the shit out of me. I might need to fire some mods. :nono:

Start with Zodi, he gave them a 0%!!!!!!!!!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:02 pm 

!!!!!!!!!

...just thought we needed more exclamation points.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
While the law-abiding ( :roll: ) contingent of Summoning fans in the thread wait for Old Mornings Dawn to hit the shelves, I thought I'd bring up the Mirkwood side project from long ago for those who haven't heard it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcYJRO3g8lI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5lpj1QYtrU

It's a damn good 4-track EP of adventurous synthscapes in the dungeon synth vein, though more texturally nuanced and compositionally diverse compared to what one might think of as "canonical" DS. Really great stuff, wonderfully whimsical and imagination-stirring, like the best dungeon synth tends to be. Interesting that it also sounds like its own distinct project, not just Summoning minus everything except keyboards. A lost gem! Plus you get to hear what the original version of "Arkenstone" off Lost Tales sounded like without the lame vocals muddling it up.

Y'all can grab it for free on the Summoning website.

:panda: MIRKWOOD!!!!!!!! :metal: :metal: :metal:

The band name sounds very familiar to me(perhaps I have listened to them before by now my mind is blank), its sounds very very interesting. Are they going to release a full album?

Because the newest thing I have seen in their web(which is a shit) is a raw song posted 6 months ago.

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:14 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
The band name sounds very familiar to me(perhaps I have listened to them before by now my mind is blank), its sounds very very interesting. Are they going to release a full album?

Because the newest thing I have seen in their web(which is a shit) is a raw song posted 6 months ago.

You are confusing the US black metal band Mirkwood with the synth sideproject by Silenus from Summoning.
the US Mirkwood band is perhaps best known for their epic song "Journey's End" : http://youtu.be/YxY6vc5fT00

GrtUnclean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:11 pm 

As someone who has zero integrity I already downloaded the album and unlike most of the people who did I think its extremely disappointing. Its not that its bad or anything its just doesn't hold my interest at all. Honestly its a pretty boring album.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:43 pm 

GrtUnclean wrote:
As someone who has zero integrity I already downloaded the album and unlike most of the people who did I think its extremely disappointing. Its not that its bad or anything its just doesn't hold my interest at all. Honestly its a pretty boring album.

:getout:

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:50 pm 

Braltika wrote:
You are confusing the US black metal band Mirkwood with the synth sideproject by Silenus from Summoning.
the US Mirkwood band is perhaps best known for their epic song "Journey's End" : http://youtu.be/YxY6vc5fT00

The U.S. Mirkwood kicks ass, I always thought of it as Summoning on speed. In case you guys were not aware A.K. Is working on the debut album which should be released this year which for me will round the year off nicely as far as this style of epic black metal goes. To be honest I have never checked out the Summoning side project with the same name.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:54 pm 

Since someone put the leaked songs back onto Youtube, I'm going to give the album a proper illegitimate first listen from beginning to end. It works really well as a whole album.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:51 pm 

I've continued to listen to this album constantly since it leaked, easily a couple of dozen times and it still blows me away. My favourite songs are Flammifer and The White Tower, though every single one is outstanding. Flammifer has to be one of the most infectiously catchy songs they've ever done. I tried really hard to make out some of the lyrics and was able to figure out enough to find the poem from which its based: http://tolkien.cro.net/talesong/earendil.html

The White Tower is just classic black metal in the vein of Filosofem with a great vocal performance from Protector. In case anyone has been wondering, and although the album info hasn't been released, I've been able to make out that Silenius does vox on Flammifer, Caradhras, and The Wandering Fire, while Protector does vox on Old Mornings Dawn, The White Tower, Of Pale White Morns..., and Earthshine. When the 'metal' kicks in on Flammifer I believe the opening shriek is two layered screams from both members, which I totally love, since it kind of announces the return of Summoning.

It'll have to stand the test of time, but I can almost say with absolute certainty that this is their best album.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:51 pm 

GrtUnclean wrote:

What?!? REALLY?!?

Razakel wrote:
The White Tower is just classic black metal in the vein of Filosofem with a great vocal performance from Protector.

I don't see to find the hype with this song.

Wilytank wrote:
Since someone put the leaked songs back onto Youtube, I'm going to give the album a proper illegitimate first listen from beginning to end. It works really well as a whole album.

Nice! I'll feed my blog with them!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:13 am 

Braltika wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

Ouch! I have never listened to Silenius sideproject, I will check out as soon posible. Thanks!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:14 am 

STORMM wrote:
Braltika wrote:

The U.S. Mirkwood kicks ass, I always thought of it as Summoning on speed. In case you guys were not aware A.K. Is working on the debut album which should be released this year which for me will round the year off nicely as far as this style of epic black metal goes. To be honest I have never checked out the Summoning side project with the same name.

Great! this is what I wanted to read. Caladan, Summoning and now Mirkwood, this must be the most f*cking epic year in years hahaha.

GrtUnclean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:11 pm 

There is also Emyn Muil who's music is also in the same vein.

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:34 pm 

one of the best black metal bands remaining. Forza summoning!

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:56 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
GrtUnclean wrote:

:getout:

You first.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:00 am 

hippiedrow wrote:

You first.

Was I talking to you? Also no.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:51 am 

Listened to the songs again. Still nothing. Very disappointed.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:27 am 

After giving the album a few listens through, I've come to the conclusion that this is going to be one of those frustrating cases where the release contains, at the same time, some of their worst and best material written to date. Can't really judge the album in full though as the rip I've been listening to is atrocious quality. I'll have to hear the real thing before I can pass a concrete judgment of the work. Kind of disappointed with it, though.

Last edited by doomicus on Thu May 09, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:19 pm 

I've only been listening to the title track on Youtube off and on since the leak (want to keep the rest of the album a surprise) and oh man, it's so fucking good. Can't wait to hear the rest.

Regarding the issue of people listening early; I love Napalm records but I think they're insane making us wait a whole month when the album is pretty much done. Don't fret though, I pre-ordered earlier this month.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:28 pm 

Love the artwork. Neat. My fave is still Let Mortal Heroes...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:58 am 

Flammifer- strange plucking instrument which starts at about 2 mins in- whatever it is- gave me shivers. Beautiful.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 am 

Anybody who ordered the limited cd receive theirs yet? I have not and sent Napalm two emails to see if they have been dispatched but got fuck all reply :fuck: which is quite annoying.

Edit - Forgive my stupidty, I thought the release date was the 7th of May lol fuck sake, all is forgiven Napalm :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next