Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:56 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
It's better than the Lunar Aurora white cardigan photos.
BasqueStorm: It's Summoning, it deserves to be bought.

I agree (with both statements) but... while you can't buy it...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:01 pm 

But it won't be the same. :(

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:52 pm 

I got my pre-order today, which made me smile. I haven't given it a thorough listen yet (this is something I need to savor), but first impressions are quite good. I really like the harsh "singing" voice that Protector uses in a few tracks, including the second bonus track.

What I'm a bit annoyed about, and am a little surprised to see that nobody's mentioned yet (unless I've missed it) is that I paid nearly $60 for this deluxe edition basically because I wanted the two bonus tracks and I figured this was going to be the only way to (legally) get them. The poster flag is cool (I have it on my wall already) but I'm not sure I'll have much use for the patch or the pendant... for me, it was all about the bonus tracks. So am I the only one who is annoyed that, before we even received our pre-orders, Napalm is already saying they'll be producing a new "limited edition" version that will have the bonus tracks plus a 7" vinyl and some other stuff? Am I the only person who feels a bit ripped off? If I had known there would be another version later with the tracks, I would have bought the normal edition and saved myself $40. Then again, Summoning has talked about coming out with new EP's and limited edition stuff that never appeared (like the one that was supposed to come out a year or so after Oath Bound, using a handful of leftover/unfinished tracks), so I guess there's a chance this might never actually surface... but still...

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:12 am 

Dol Goldur II is how I would best classify this. They've moved back into lighter more upbeat territory, and gone back to a more artificial sounding synth and drums, with more treble in everything. I wonder if they are using the same synthesizer, it sure sounds like it. Cymbals and drum set sound like they are straight off Dol Guldur. It's not oppressively melancholic like OB and not overwhelmingly triumphant like LMHSYF, yet it doesn't lack identity or boldness. I absolutely love the mix. Vocals are settled in perfectly, nothing dominates and everything is in balance. I don't know why but I would call this their "Elvish" album.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:44 am 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
Silenius wrote:
What inspired me music-wise in the last few months are the two albums from Winglord and the releases from two ambient projects. First from the band Arkhaion – When Gods Walked the Earth, and second the band Penjaga Insaf, with the album Sama Sadja.

That's kind of interesting. I've been aware of Winglord for a while, but I only gave them a cursory listen and didn't really dig their sound. The all-around high quality level of the new Summoning release makes me want to give them a second chance.

Very interesting, as I thought Winglord really sounded like Summoning minus the metal. They are worth a listen, Heroica is extremely epic and well constructed. I wish it was just a bit darker...

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:33 am 

I really like this album. Everything about it is interesting. It is a perfect blend of Dol Gulder/Minas Morgul styles with that of Oath Bound. It's certainly a great work.

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 am 

Goddamn...I still haven't received my package from Napalm yet...and I ordered almost $300 worth of stuff from there including the LE CD and the LE of Dol Goldur.
I usually receive my stuff from Napalm pretty quick...really hope its not lost in the mail. Then again I am in the US, but I see a bunch of users from the States already have theirs including my buddy who runs a distro...fuck I hope I dont have to pay his inflated prices for these.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:21 am 

samekh wrote:
I got my pre-order today, which made me smile. I haven't given it a thorough listen yet (this is something I need to savor), but first impressions are quite good. I really like the harsh "singing" voice that Protector uses in a few tracks, including the second bonus track.

What I'm a bit annoyed about, and am a little surprised to see that nobody's mentioned yet (unless I've missed it) is that I paid nearly $60 for this deluxe edition basically because I wanted the two bonus tracks and I figured this was going to be the only way to (legally) get them. The poster flag is cool (I have it on my wall already) but I'm not sure I'll have much use for the patch or the pendant... for me, it was all about the bonus tracks. So am I the only one who is annoyed that, before we even received our pre-orders, Napalm is already saying they'll be producing a new "limited edition" version that will have the bonus tracks plus a 7" vinyl and some other stuff? Am I the only person who feels a bit ripped off? If I had known there would be another version later with the tracks, I would have bought the normal edition and saved myself $40. Then again, Summoning has talked about coming out with new EP's and limited edition stuff that never appeared (like the one that was supposed to come out a year or so after Oath Bound, using a handful of leftover/unfinished tracks), so I guess there's a chance this might never actually surface... but still...

No offence, but if you pay an extra $40 for 2 bonus tracks you are getting ripped off regardless.

Horace Bones wrote:
Goddamn...I still haven't received my package from Napalm yet...and I ordered almost $300 worth of stuff from there including the LE CD and the LE of Dol Goldur.
I usually receive my stuff from Napalm pretty quick...really hope its not lost in the mail. Then again I am in the US, but I see a bunch of users from the States already have theirs including my buddy who runs a distro...fuck I hope I dont have to pay his inflated prices for these.

In my experience, bigger packages usually take a bit longer to arrive. When I place an order of over 100 euros at a distro, it usually takes twice the normal time before it arrives. It could be coincidence, but for now I wouldn't worry about not receiving your package at the same time as other US listeners.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:30 pm 

Just had my first listening to OMD. It was pretty damn awesome, albeit with a few flaws. Since it's Summoning (and the wait for this was so long) there's always going to be a tendency to nitpick and expect nothing but excellence, so the off-kilter bits probably stand out more because they're under more of an intense microscope. On first listen, some of the more unusual-sounding tracks stood out as favorites ("Flammifer," "The White Tower," "The Wandering Fire"). The title track felt a bit bloated, and along with "Earthshine" was marred with the heavy-handed "aged narrator" bit (...why?... :( ). The latter also had some structural issues and a pretty annoying piccolo or something that stuck out uncomfortably. But all these things considered, it was still really good. Just wish they'd rein in their tendency to pile on more layers sometimes and instead simply focus on composing better polyphony.

EyeOfTheMoon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:45 pm 

I liked the new album a lot but I was disappointed by the LP's printwork as it looks awfully cheap. Almost made me regret to have invested on an LP instead of a regular CD.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:23 am 

Well, I finally succumbed to temptation and yesterday I listened to the album. Nothing has surprised me too much, which is good taking into account that we are speaking about Summoning.

The album is really good as I had expected but I still like Oath Bound much more, anyway time will decide. The most notable songs are Old Mornings Dawn and Caradhras, without any doubt the highlights of the album. The male chorus sound great, astoundingly epic and solemn and the vocals are good with the exception of the last song( or was the previous one?) where they sound a little bit weird, not the best ending for the album but Land of dead put the level too high in this aspect.

Napalm records will release another special edition so I will wait for this one. (Yes, I have a lot of patience hehehe) :D

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:16 am 

EyeOfTheMoon wrote:
I liked the new album a lot but I was disappointed by the LP's printwork as it looks awfully cheap. Almost made me regret to have invested on an LP instead of a regular CD.

Really?!?

Paganbasque wrote:
Well, I finally succumbed to temptation and yesterday I listened to the album. Nothing has surprised me too much, which is good taking into account that we are speaking about Summoning.
The album is really good as I had expected but I still like Oath Bound much more, anyway time will decide. The most notable songs are Old Mornings Dawn and Caradhras, without any doubt the highlights of the album. The male chorus sound great, astoundingly epic and solemn and the vocals are good with the exception of the last song( or was the previous one?) where they sound a little bit weird, not the best ending for the album but Land of dead put the level too high in this aspect.
Napalm records will release another special edition so I will wait for this one. (Yes, I have a lot of patience hehehe) :D

You, trickster! LOL!
P.S: Yes, some choruses are GLORIOUS at the end of the album!

I would like to add some more photos:

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:23 pm 

These neo-hipster photos are hilarious but the album is solid. Summoning can do no wrong except when they try modeling

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:43 pm 

Neo hipster? Those photos aren't hipster....they aren't holding a PBR. They look like stone statues that have been sitting for an eternity. I dig.

I finally received my package...my deluxe box was crushed. :( kinda bummed about that...not the best packaging especially for the amount of money I had to drop on shipping.

Oh well just glad I have a physical copy finally...and the two bonus tracks are great especially With Fire and Sword.

That 10% review is BS.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:59 pm 

Horace Bones wrote:
Neo hipster? Those photos aren't hipster....they aren't holding a PBR. They look like stone statues that have been sitting for an eternity. I dig.
I finally received my package...my deluxe box was crushed. :( kinda bummed about that...not the best packaging especially for the amount of money I had to drop on shipping.
Oh well just glad I have a physical copy finally...and the two bonus tracks are great especially With Fire and Sword.
That 10% review is BS.

Oops! Sorry to hear that!
What?!?
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... 416/Tengan
Holy shit!

Edit: Bingo!

Quote:
Being previously unacquainted with the band's music...

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:24 am 

That reviewer is completely ignorant about Summoning. It's beyond shameful. He just doesn't get it.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:36 am 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
These neo-hipster photos are hilarious but the album is solid. Summoning can do no wrong except when they try modeling

What???????????

These photos cant be less hipster for Iluvatar´s sake!!! :(

By the way, the images are incredible, I would like to have a poster with one of them hahaha :D

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Summoning/Old_Mornings_Dawn/372416/Tengan
Holy shit!

Awful review. Complaining about Summoning not being black metal is like complaining about a fine wine not being beer.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:37 am 

Besides which, 10% is just an objectively retarded score to try to apply to the album. Even taking differing (terrible :P) taste into consideration, the musicianship, production skill and overall creative vision displayed on Old Mornings Dawn should be obvious to anyone that knows jack shit about music-making.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:44 am 

Expedience wrote:
Awful review. Complaining about Summoning not being black metal is like complaining about a fine wine not being beer.

More like port wine not being wine.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Tengan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:52 am 

Tearing me a new one about that review can be done in the Official Review Discussion-thread. Others have already done it :) But yes, I agree, I cocked up that review and it got focused on the wrong stuff eventually which wasn't the original idea. Summoning deserves much respect for doing their own thing, I do not find the music appealing however and even if I rewrote the review it would not get more than possibly 20% because I simply can't enjoy the music. But lets continue this in the proper thread if anyone is interested.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:22 pm 

Tengan wrote:
Tearing me a new one about that review can be done in the Official Review Discussion-thread. Others have already done it :) But yes, I agree, I cocked up that review and it got focused on the wrong stuff eventually which wasn't the original idea. Summoning deserves much respect for doing their own thing, I do not find the music appealing however and even if I rewrote the review it would not get more than possibly 20% because I simply can't enjoy the music. But lets continue this in the proper thread if anyone is interested.

And, maybe, you COULD give a link too, don't think so?

Tengan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:03 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Tengan wrote:

And, maybe, you COULD give a link too, don't think so?

My bad, here is the link: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7444

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:54 pm 

Tengan wrote:

Ok, thanks!
Prepare to die! LOL! Just joking!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:45 am 

Yet another shitty review... won't someone please post a decent review for it? :puppy:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:35 am 

Tengan wrote:

Do you KNOW you can post a DIRECT link to the starting point of the discussion, right?
I THINK it could be this:
viewtopic.php?p=2270648#p2270648
Use the link that is given by this icon in a post: Image
Thanks.

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 am 

hippiedrow wrote:
That reviewer is completely ignorant about Summoning. It's beyond shameful. He just doesn't get it.

It' simply something easier: if you (generical, of course) think black metal is Bestial warlust or Grand Belial's key it's authomatic you'll consider Summoning's music far distant, and totally unfitting. And obviously you give a 10/100.
Probaby there should be a stronger control over the published reviews by the site owners, otherwise somebody who is absolutely not into a particular kind of music can freely throw shit upon something he dislikes but sees his words of complain published anyway.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:57 am 

Grand Belial's Key has quite a bit of melody, melancholy and finesse, in fact. Personally I enjoy them as much as Summoning. Anyway, it's obvious which band is more standard black metal. Summoning draws from it, but is quite removed from it, especially after Dol Guldur/Nightshade Forests.

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:11 am 

I of course said GBK 'cause is one of the first totally and uncompromising black metal projects of all time. I adore them, as the most of you I believe. I just drew a boundary line, it's since 1995 there's some arguing if Summoning is black metal or not. In my opinion the answer is :yes. of course, but it doesn't really matter. Summoning's music is far away from traditional black metal, and if you conceive anything else than that 99% of times you'll simply dislike it. Which is not a problem, obviously. But, please oh please, don't review the music.
If I had to review One Direction what would you think I'd write? It's logical. But I guess a One Direction focused forum wouldn't publish my totally obliterating words.

Tengan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:39 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Tengan wrote:

Do you KNOW you can post a DIRECT link to the starting point of the discussion, right?
I THINK it could be this:
viewtopic.php?p=2270648#p2270648
Use the link that is given by this icon in a post: Image
Thanks.

I did not know that actually, thanks for giving me that tip.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:58 pm 

Tengan wrote:

No problem, man.
Does the discussion start were I pointed or not?
Thanks.

P.S: In this case, people discussing the review could follow there.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:05 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Yet another shitty review... won't someone please post a decent review for it? :puppy:

Time to step up to the plate :panda: . Unless you're not... man enough.

Tengan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:18 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Tengan wrote:

No problem, man.
Does the discussion start were I pointed or not?
Thanks.

P.S: In this case, people discussing the review could follow there.

Yes, that is the spot where it started and continues for about a page and a half.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:55 am 

Tengan wrote:
Yes, that is the spot where it started and continues for about a page and a half.

Nice. DESTROY him!
LOL!

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:01 am 

WTF!!

they are releasing another limited vinyl version
http://shop.napalmrecords.com/summoning ... -7013.html

what the fuck is the point of having limited editions if you are just going to keep pressing as many as possible because it's in high demand

stop being money grabbers Napalm. boycott this release!

not to mention it looks ridiculous, not very Epic Black Metal, white and red splatter

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:34 am 

Zephirus wrote:
WTF!!

they are releasing another limited vinyl version
http://shop.napalmrecords.com/summoning ... -7013.html

what the fuck is the point of having limited editions if you are just going to keep pressing as many as possible because it's in high demand

stop being money grabbers Napalm. boycott this release!

not to mention it looks ridiculous, not very Epic Black Metal, white and red splatter

It happens the same with the limited edition, well not exatcly the same but the "earbook" edition that Napalm plans to release looks more interesting to me than the initial special edition, mainly because it will have a good booklet. Fortunately for me I didnt buy the first special edition so I will wait until the new one is released.

And yes, the white and red vinyl look awful.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:38 pm 

Zephirus wrote:
WTF!!
they are releasing another limited vinyl version!

That's way too much!
http://shop.napalmrecords.com/catalogse ... nings+dawn
Holy fuck!

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:48 pm 

That is getting ridiculous. It's a blatant grab for money by the label, though I must say that I don't have all that much sympathy with whoever out there buys 6 vinyl versions and probably a deluxe version of the CD purely because they exist. I mean... come on.

On another note - ouch, 10 Euros shipping for a single shirt over here. Eep. Now I remember why I rarely get anything from Napalm Records.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:43 pm 

I ummmm have the white, gold vinyl and limited CD... :oh shit:

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:44 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
I ummmm have the white, gold vinyl and limited CD... :oh shit:

that's fine, these were the first limited pressings announced.

the first run of limited LPs are a hit, so napalm decide to milk it , and low and behold another TWO limited edition vinyls become available.
this is not in the spirit of Metal. yes they need to make money, but if a record is good enough it will sell in whatever format. the limited run is a bit of a bonus for those who were quick and preordered. now i feel cheated, why pre order when there will be myriad 'limited' runs coming of the slimy napalm production belt

they can 'suck satans cock in hell' :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next