* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:20 am 

thrashfan07 wrote:
Samples on Amazon
So... this sounds fantastic. Interesting that they went back to more traditional "MIDI-ish" synth sounds, though it could just be the crappy sound quality of the samples that makes it sounds like that. This definitely sounds like Summoning sticking to the general formula but doing a lot to revitalize their sound. "Carahdras" in particular sounds very somber compared to their other works. June 7th can't come fast enough!

Thanks! That was interesting.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 am 

Yeah this sounds really promising. Looks like they're continuing to slightly push their aesthetic in fresh ways but keeping true to the old spirit. Special attention to percussion production, new twists on melodic ideas... I am optimistic! Can't wait to actually hear this thing for real. :)

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:11 pm 

ahhhh teaser indeed! would love to listen but as i have it on pre-order i'll be holding off until it arrives

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:35 pm 

Samples sound great. Really looking forward to this.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:34 pm 

Both trailer and those samples are very promising. I have all the faith this album will rule. Summoning can do no wrong. :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:37 pm 

LOVING the tribal feel of Flammifer. Something they don't usually do...

The title track sounds very majestic

The white tower sounds really catchy

Caradhras sounds really mellow...almost with a sort of western/middle eastern feel... and then with crazy synths... weird but cool

Of Pale White Morns And Darkened Eves sounds very triumphant, usual summoning. Vocals sound sick too! that'll be a highlight of the album for sure

The Wandering Fire sounds awesome. Very atmospheric but catchy. Nice blend of melodies

Earthshine sounds like it's underwater kind of... really cool. Heavy too! Overall it seems like there are some sounds and ideas we haven't heard from Summoning before. Should be a good album!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:10 am 

Umm.. those samples just ramped up my excite meter. Sounds like some more attention to the "metal" aspect of Summoning, fuck can't May just disappear?

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:39 am 

Its sounds quite interesting, I find especially interesting OMD and Caradhras, which have really addictive melodies. The ending of the album sounds great too with 3 songs which perhaps will sound in the vein of traditional Summoning. Excitement rising! :D

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:57 am 

Zephirus wrote:
ahhhh teaser indeed! would love to listen but as i have it on pre-order i'll be holding off until it arrives

Same here. The pre-order was a lot of cash so will wait for it. Whats another month to wait after waiting years for this to come along.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:37 pm 

This is really sounding like Dead Can Dance, a lot of it sounded more middle-eastern as well.(or Indian) I might just go ahead and call it "album of the year". Of course, samples are hardly indicative of the real thing, such a cruel teaser they are.

Taboo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:01 pm 

Lord Tempestuous wrote:
This is really sounding like Dead Can Dance, a lot of it sounded more middle-eastern as well.(or Indian) I might just go ahead and call it "album of the year". Of course, samples are hardly indicative of the real thing, such a cruel teaser they are.
Did you say DCD? Now I need to download this leak tehe

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 pm 

There is no leak; he was referring to the samples.

Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:39 pm 

Supposedly there is a leak. People are already scrobbling it on Last.fm. Ticks me off because none of 'em want to share a link. :grumble:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:47 pm 

I found a low quality rip (don't ask me for it, it took me 20 seconds to find it on google anyway). I'll check it out tonight!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:03 pm 

Found it. Will give it a listen very shortly.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:37 pm 

IT HAS LEAKED? OMFFGGGG

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:47 pm 

It's sounding pretty great, I plan on preordering the deluxe box when I get the money.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:30 pm 

I'm really liking this album. 9/10 on my first listen.

takar_blackangel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:32 pm 

I'm about finished with the title track and holy crap, this is brilliant stuff. I'm absolutely loving it so far. I'll have to see if it has any lasting appeal, but I could see it topping some best-of-2013 charts in December.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 pm 

Huh, well this seems to be a masterpiece, even based on the first listen. Overall, it displays the sound they've been known for with a few cool innovations. I kind of get the impression of a merging of their cheesier, midi-driven earlier work, coupled with the sheer epicness and bombast of LMHSYF and Oath Bound. The result is, unsurprisingly, monumental. I need to listen more before I can pick standout tracks, but right now I can say that Earthshine blew me away with the incredible vocals. I think the vocals in general could be the best we've ever heard from Summoning.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:28 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Huh, well this seems to be a masterpiece, even based on the first listen. Overall, it displays the sound they've been known for with a few cool innovations. I kind of get the impression of a merging of their cheesier, midi-driven earlier work, coupled with the sheer epicness and bombast of LMHSYF and Oath Bound. The result is, unsurprisingly, monumental. I need to listen more before I can pick standout tracks, but right now I can say that Earthshine blew me away with the incredible vocals. I think the vocals in general could be the best we've ever heard from Summoning.

That sounds like a pretty strong description, I hope it's as good! Maybe I can find the leak...

Also in terms of the vocals, I hope you're right. Vocals are usually good with them but some of their songs annoy me with the vocals...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:31 pm 

Album of the year!!

It has: -The best production they ever got.
-The best vocals they ever did.
-Songwriting as good or even better than their other albums.
-Yep, they're fucking back. Hide yo' wife, hide yo' kids. The Orcs are coming.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:47 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
The Orcs are coming.

WAAAGH!!!

WitchCraft
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:33 pm 

I'm desperately trying not to listen to the samples but damn, this thread is making it a losing battle. Summoning can do no wrong (as they shouldn't since it's been, what, 6 years since Oathbound?) It's gonna be a good summer this year!

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:43 pm 

This album is a fucking masterpiece, I honestly can't fault it. The riffs, the lyrics, the ATMOSPHERE, just everything about it is triple-A quality. Just take my money already, Summoning!

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 pm 

I'm pleased to see such praise in this thread. I am always somewhat nervous when a band releases a new album after several years.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 pm 

hippiedrow wrote:
I'm pleased to see such praise in this thread. I am always somewhat nervous when a band releases a new album after several years.

As long as they don't pull a Morbid Angel I think we can breathe easy

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:07 pm 

^you can definitely breathe easy, it's the Summoning we've all come to love with even more improvements on their style than before.

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:35 pm 

I have the LP as well as the deluxe boxset pre-ordered…but I just couldn’t wait.

I have to agree with most of the positive sentiments here. I’ve only been able to get past the first 4 tracks because I keep repeating each continuous track over and over. It’s definitely the Summoning we’ve all grown to love, but it still manages to sound different and fresh. It’s hard to describe. It’s as epic as ever…chill inducing at times.

The guitars are very prominent and not hidden in the production as they were in Oath Bound…OMD is definitely going to be on top ten lists at the end of the year.

The White Tower is a totally killer track.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
hippiedrow wrote:

As long as they don't pull a Morbid Angel I think we can breathe easy

The leak is a fake. The real "Old Mornings Dawn" is djentcore.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:45 pm 

So far it's extremely solid, significantly better than Oath Bound. A real unexpected highlight of the year. I anticipate being one of the many people who'll do a raving review on it.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:50 pm 

Horace Bones wrote:
The White Tower is a totally killer track.

I 2nd this. I was writing a paper while listening to this album and had to stop when this track came on just to allow myself to absorb it.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:13 am 

ah man, it's been so long! Really enjoying this album, on the second listen now. Loving the cheesy snare, those repetitive yet really cool synth lines, that polyphony they do so well. Brings me back to being blown away by Mortal Heroes way back in '02 or whenever it came out. Really cool stuff.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

ambar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:23 am 

it reminds me of minas morgul, i love it

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:29 am 

I agree with all the positive reactions here, it is way better than Oath Bound. There seems to be a more cohesive atmosphere throughout the entire album where Outh Bound, imo, failed a bit at.
Despite the low quality of the rip, I believe it has way better choir chants than in previous releases. The drumming is epic as ever and sure, the synths smell a bit like cheese but honestly Summoning needs that cheese, just like a sandwich.

It's folky (Caradhras), it's epic (Old Mornings Dawn) and it even has proper, straightforward black metal (White Tower). 10/10, flawless, even at this bitrate.

Taboo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:16 am 

New album is amazing.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:14 am 

I'm drunk off my ass listening with headphones right now and it sounds just as good as it did earlier today. There definitely does seem to have been an attempt to capture a sound akin to their '90s endeavors; it's not at all what I expected as a follow up to Oath Bound (which I currently still consider their best album) but then, I have no idea what I expected. It's amazing, it's perfect, I can't find anything I even slightly dislike about it. Will be listening to it voraciously for months to come.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:03 am 

Blood_Red87 wrote:
Supposedly there is a leak. People are already scrobbling it on Last.fm. Ticks me off because none of 'em want to share a link. :grumble:

Nice, thanks for the info!

Metantoine wrote:
I found a low quality rip (don't ask me for it, it took me 20 seconds to find it on google anyway). I'll check it out tonight!

Same here.

viewtopic.php?p=2249131#p2249131

BasqueStorm wrote:
Flammifer from (2013) Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn.
Listening to this shitty 128 kbps rip but... Holy Shit! This is AMAZINGLY GOOD!

caspian wrote:
Significantly better than Oath Bound.

caspian wrote:
Brings me back to being blown away by Mortal Heroes way back in '02 or whenever it came out. Really cool stuff.

I agree.

Braltika wrote:
I agree with all the positive reactions here, it is way better than Oath Bound.
Despite the low quality of the rip, I believe it has way better choir chants than in previous releases. The drumming is epic as ever and sure, the synths smell a bit like cheese but honestly Summoning needs that cheese, just like a sandwich.
It's folky (Caradhras), it's epic (Old Mornings Dawn) and it even has proper, straightforward black metal (White Tower). 10/10, flawless, even at this bitrate.

And I agree. It sounds AMAZING for a fucking 128 kbps rip! And I'm only through the third song!

Glorious return to form! Hail Summonig!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:49 am 

Ahhh I hate you all, I was not going to download it but reading your comments its going to be a tricky task.

Oath Bound was a masterpiece, so if this is one is that good... :D

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:14 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Ahhh I hate you all, I was not going to download it but reading your comments its going to be a tricky task.
Oath Bound was a masterpiece, so if this is one is that good... :D

LOL!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next