Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Expedience
Veteran

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:22 am
Posts: 3761
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:18 am 
 

Veracs wrote:
Really liked the new Ea, definitely reminiscent of Skepticism though probably a little lighter. Not too much else to say bout it other than just another great addition for what has been a solid year for doom metal. The Ectovoid album sucked more or less more retro dm garbage with laughable dry vocals, I should've guessed it would suck based on the coverart.


New Ea? I must get on that, didn't hear about it until now.

New Ensiferum is solid but inconsistent, as usual. I always seem to like their energetic openers and lengthy epic towards the end of each of their albums, while find the other tracks from slightly below average to just good.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5403
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:15 am 
 

Expedience wrote:
Veracs wrote:
Really liked the new Ea, definitely reminiscent of Skepticism though probably a little lighter. Not too much else to say bout it other than just another great addition for what has been a solid year for doom metal. The Ectovoid album sucked more or less more retro dm garbage with laughable dry vocals, I should've guessed it would suck based on the coverart.


New Ea? I must get on that, didn't hear about it until now.

New Ensiferum is solid but inconsistent, as usual. I always seem to like their energetic openers and lengthy epic towards the end of each of their albums, while find the other tracks from slightly below average to just good.


New Ensiferum starts off really bad but does well to redeem itself at the end. The first like, three or four solid tracks all sound like dull reimaginings of "Wanderer" from Victory Songs, but once "Retribution Shall Be Mine" starts, the songs actually start to get some damn energy, and the not immediately aggressive ones at least build up to something by that point. So it's about half good, with the good songs being excellent Ensiferum songs and the not good songs being really, really boring Northland songs. "Pohjola" is great and the 17 minute long song actually keeps my attention this time, unlike the two really long songs on the previous album.

Also that bonus track fucking owns, oooooowwwwwns.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: JERKING THE CIRCLE IV: Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

Top
 Profile  
Hastein45
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:56 pm
Posts: 198
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:19 pm 
 

Very few good albums this year. The ones I have listened to:
Cannibal Corpse`s 'Torture' -Solid slab of death metal but nothing to write Metal Archives about, I would rate it 7.5/10.

Kreator`s 'Phantom Antichrist' -Well executed fast-paced thrash metal with some good solo`s. I'd say 8/10.

Spawn of Possession 'Incurso' - I now have a second tech-death band that I really appreciate, Origin being the other. This is my favorite album this year. Some nice classical pieces to the music. It`s very fast, complex riffing with my only complaint being the guitar tone(a little too wanky), tight drumming, long songs that don`t get boring, a lot of time signature changes, and ripping solo`s by Christian Munzner. Vocals are average. This is my second favorite tech-death album behind 'Antithesis', I think this deserves a 9.2/10

Unleashed`s 'Odalheim' - Best death metal album I have heard this year. Good riffs, very nice soloing and lyrics that I personally like. Catchy songwriting as well. I give this an 8.2-3/10.

Top
 Profile  
Expedience
Veteran

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:22 am
Posts: 3761
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:51 pm 
 

BastardHead wrote:
New Ensiferum starts off really bad but does well to redeem itself at the end. The first like, three or four solid tracks all sound like dull reimaginings of "Wanderer" from Victory Songs, but once "Retribution Shall Be Mine" starts, the songs actually start to get some damn energy, and the not immediately aggressive ones at least build up to something by that point. So it's about half good, with the good songs being excellent Ensiferum songs and the not good songs being really, really boring Northland songs. "Pohjola" is great and the 17 minute long song actually keeps my attention this time, unlike the two really long songs on the previous album.

Also that bonus track fucking owns, oooooowwwwwns.


You disliked In My Sword I Trust? I'm pretty much the opposite, I didn't find much to like in the mid/late-album tracks. Also didn't think much of the clean singing and the opera girl. At this stage all I want is really reimaginings, since they've always been able to do the epic soundtrack metal well. After 2 listens it's probably their weakest album.

I also hated the bonus cover song, but then I've never listened to Gipsy Kings before.

Top
 Profile  
MeltedFace
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29 am
Posts: 439
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:04 pm 
 

Expedience wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
New Ensiferum starts off really bad but does well to redeem itself at the end. The first like, three or four solid tracks all sound like dull reimaginings of "Wanderer" from Victory Songs, but once "Retribution Shall Be Mine" starts, the songs actually start to get some damn energy, and the not immediately aggressive ones at least build up to something by that point. So it's about half good, with the good songs being excellent Ensiferum songs and the not good songs being really, really boring Northland songs. "Pohjola" is great and the 17 minute long song actually keeps my attention this time, unlike the two really long songs on the previous album.

Also that bonus track fucking owns, oooooowwwwwns.


You disliked In My Sword I Trust? I'm pretty much the opposite, I didn't find much to like in the mid/late-album tracks. Also didn't think much of the clean singing and the opera girl. At this stage all I want is really reimaginings, since they've always been able to do the epic soundtrack metal well. After 2 listens it's probably their weakest album.

I also hated the bonus cover song, but then I've never listened to Gipsy Kings before.



That's how I feel too. I would love for them to do something akin to to the intensity of Victory Songs again. Those first three tracks on VS are just awesome and the rest of the album is great as well. Don't get me wrong, there are some great songs on the new album, I just know Ensiferum is capable of so much more...
_________________
ngwoo wrote:
Cyrax666 wrote:
I also wonder what the reward would be for it? Perhaps a drinking session with them? A stroll through the woods with Abbath perhaps?


A free set of broken equipment

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1584
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:58 am 
 

Puteraeon - Cult Cthulhu

Okay, another swedeath worship in the vein of dismember but its done right.
Nice atmosphere, good tremolo riffs.
Songs like Walking With Shadows and Liberation stand out because of the variation in the riffing, wish they did that more often. Good album if you like swedeath.

Top
 Profile  
triggerhappy
Veteran

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:56 am
Posts: 2945
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:05 pm 
 

Krallice's new album Years Past Matter was generally messy and boring, but I'll be damned if the final two minutes (out of sixty) aren't incredible.
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
Veracs wrote:
Thats a shitload of Gargoyle mp3's you have on that thing I'm sure.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Top
 Profile  
XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:43 pm
Posts: 140
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:33 pm 
 

The new Necrovation is one of my favorite releases this year. Probably in my top 3.

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4988
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:57 pm 
 

Krallice being messy and boring? NO WAY!
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 7:08 pm
Posts: 5983
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:16 pm 
 

+1 to Necro.
_________________
"Don't you talk to me 'bout Jesus, cause every word is blasphemy!"

BAPTIST- drone, meditation, ambient - new song!

Top
 Profile  
Misfit74
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 1571
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:18 pm 
 

Beer Baron wrote:
Puteraeon - Cult Cthulhu

Okay, another swedeath worship in the vein of dismember but its done right.
Nice atmosphere, good tremolo riffs.
Songs like Walking With Shadows and Liberation stand out because of the variation in the riffing, wish they did that more often. Good album if you like swedeath.


Thanks for this. I might like that album better than the new Ignivomous. Certainly not very groundbreaking, but as you said: very well done. Clean, quality production is another plus.
_________________
Last.fm
My Music on RYM

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1584
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:46 pm 
 

Misfit74 wrote:
Beer Baron wrote:
Puteraeon - Cult Cthulhu

Okay, another swedeath worship in the vein of dismember but its done right.
Nice atmosphere, good tremolo riffs.
Songs like Walking With Shadows and Liberation stand out because of the variation in the riffing, wish they did that more often. Good album if you like swedeath.


Thanks for this. I might like that album better than the new Ignivomous. Certainly not very groundbreaking, but as you said: very well done. Clean, quality production is another plus.


You're welcome man. Cheers.

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1584
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:55 pm 
 

triggerhappy wrote:
Krallice's new album Years Past Matter was generally messy and boring, but I'll be damned if the final two minutes (out of sixty) aren't incredible.


Lol. I might still get this later, for the sake of the final two minutes at least.

Top
 Profile  
triggerhappy
Veteran

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:56 am
Posts: 2945
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:08 pm 
 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Krallice being messy and boring? NO WAY!

Well, they didn't use to be. Their debut had like 5 riffs per song and was very well-structured. Every album after that has been the same drivel though.
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
Veracs wrote:
Thats a shitload of Gargoyle mp3's you have on that thing I'm sure.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Top
 Profile  
LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 682
Location: Prince George, B.C.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:04 am 
 

MeltedFace wrote:
Ereb Altor - Gastrike

This one took me by surprise, not because they are a bad band (quite the opposite), but the direction that they went with this album. I enjoyed their first two albums, especially By Honour, so I was expecting more Epic Viking Metal with tons of Doom with clean vocals. Instead we do get a decent amount of the Doom, but with a huge change in direction towards Black Metal while still retaining that Epic Viking Metal I originally loved. It's something that I think is quite unique these days. It's a great mix of genres and each song is different from the next.

My personal favorite from the album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2_WYCNwmq0


I know I'm a bit late to respond to this post, but I have to say that Gastrike is by far my biggest let-down of the year. I do recognize that a more black metal oriented sound is a natural progression from the utter perfection that was The End, but I can't help but feel that Gastrike's black metal elements are lackluster. Maybe Gastrike is such a letdown because The End was my favourite album of 2010, but I feel that the direction shifted from epic viking/doom to unoriginal, overproduced black/"epic" doom metal that only hints at what the members of Ereb Altor are truly capable of. That being said, the songs with more clean vocals certainly shone out (Dispellation and Mistress of Wisdom being prime examples) while I found that the harsh vocals found on most of the album seemed uninspired and downright generic.

Then again, this is just my opinion. Does anybody else feel as let down as I do?
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
When a true believer stands within a fifteen-foot radius of a Gay, their crucifix begins to tremble.

Diamhea wrote:
Do drugs, don't pretend.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6526
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:21 am 
 

triggerhappy wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
Krallice being messy and boring? NO WAY!

Well, they didn't use to be. Their debut had like 5 riffs per song and was very well-structured. Every album after that has been the same drivel though.

That's a shitty ratio considering the song lengths on that terrible album. The longest is fifteen minutes.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
Slag
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:56 am
Posts: 2303
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:24 am 
 

Don't know if people have brought it up already, but I just found out about Anathema and their newest record. I've fallen head over heels for it. I don't have a single thing negative to say about. I think the music is moving and the lyrics deep. Great to just chill out to.
_________________
Leify wrote:
My grandfather always said, if you can't fix a problem, just systematically blow shit up.

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4988
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:57 am 
 

Yeah it's a really great album. That band has been going from strength to strength for like 13 years now. I love how they build on themes and how they decided to use the great female vocals more.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4103
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:19 pm 
 

Anathema's newer stuff gets on my nerves a bit, but that new album is somethin' else. The "Untouchable" tracks are just aural euphoria.
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
DisciplineOfRevenge
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:33 pm
Posts: 66
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:19 am 
 

Fear Factory's new album is really great.
Cattle Decapitation- Monolith of Inhumanity is probably my favorite album of 2012 so far
Chelsea Grin- Evolve was really good, a lot of people around here might not like them but i don't really mind a lot of deathcore
Cannibal Corpse- Torture was another solid album by CC
Cemetery Rapist- Tongue Punched in the Fartbox was a fun grind EP

still need to get around to listening to some of the other shit that came out in 2012 ( like Testament, JFAC, Dying Fetus, & Gojira) and i'm looking forward to the new Dethklok and Pig Destroyer in october

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2344
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:17 am 
 

So far my tops are (off the top of my head):

Elysian Blaze - Blood Geometry
Mgla - With Hearts Towards None
Six Brew Bantha - s/t LP
Pizza Hi Five/Powercup - split 10"
Stabbed To Death - demo 2012
Wrathprayer - Sun of Moloch
Witchrist - The Grand Tormentor
Revenge - Scum.Collapse.Eradication.
Cellgraft - s/t LP
Anhedonist - Netherwards
Inverloch - Dusk|Subside
Panopticon - Kentucky
Desecresy - The Doom Skeptron

still waiting on: Gorguts, Neurosis, Swans, The Kill, Internal Rot, Sacriphyx, Portal, and I guess Pig Destroyer
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.


Last edited by Dragunov on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Veracs
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:28 pm 
 

Just tried to listen to Witchrist's the Grand tormentor and nearly fell asleep, man that guitar tone is weak as hell and the vocals sound like a wheezing old man underneath the already weak guitar tone- very shitty album. The new High on fire and Elysian Blaze were great though.
_________________
Malignanthrone wrote:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Top
 Profile  
nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:40 am
Posts: 289
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:58 pm 
 

Veracs wrote:
Just tried to listen to Witchrist's the Grand tormentor and nearly fell asleep, man that guitar tone is weak as hell and the vocals sound like a wheezing old man underneath the already weak guitar tone- very shitty album. The new High on fire and Elysian Blaze were great though.


Yeah, I'm somewhat disappointed in the new Witchrist also. I really liked Beheaded Ouroboros so I had high expectations for their new album. I mean what the hell happened to the dual vocals? Definitely not as good as their previous album.
_________________
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
You'd think people who would be on a journey to convert those to their beliefs would be a bit less face-rapey about it. Most people don't usually like the face rape.

Top
 Profile  
Garchomp4ever
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:14 pm
Posts: 112
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:40 pm 
 

Oh my goodness, 2012 has been an amazing year for music.

For metal stuff we have:

A Light in the Dark's two album "Disharmony" and "One Day to Another" which are both amazing black metal with great synth work, truly atmospheric stuff.(Both are available for free download on the bands page by the way)

Alcest's Les voyages de l'âme which might be my favorite Alcest release, it just seems to be done the best. I think we all know what that sounds like.

Brendon Smalls solo album "Brendon Small's Galaktikon" is also really great. A great heavy metal concept album that's really full of energy.

Caves of Glass, a band from /mu/, released a single "Gone from Oceania". This is more post-rock but it's still pretty fucking good. The second track, "Barren Earth", is epic for lack of a better word.[Free download also available, just Google it, it might come up on a blog but it's band sanctioned]

Chaosweaver, holy shit. The new album "Enter the Realm of the Doppelgänger" is a fucking insane piece of black metal. It has sick(seriously) vocals, great guitar work, and some very nice and dominating keyboard work. Tracks like "Crystal Blue" or "Maelstrom of Black Light" blow me away.

Cityscape Drawn in Black Ink's "Line 0 EP" is a really good "shoegaze/post-black metal" album, not the best but it's still a stand out piece.[Also free download, Google it, there's a bandcamp]

Hypomanie released what is probably my favorite "shoegaze black metal" album this year with "Calm Down, You Weren't Set on Fire". It's not really even black metal but it's still a breathtaking album. It just works so well.[Also a free download, Google]

Les Discrets also released an album(as we all know) called "Ariettes Oubliées..." although not really metal it's still grouped with that scene along with Alcest and stuff. I prefer this over Alcest though, it's a very pretty album.

Umbah released "Enter the Dagobah Core" this year, some nice electronic black metal.

Vargnatt released something I've been waiting a long time for this year, "Durch die Stille...". A very good black metal album with some pretty good production and great vocals.

YOHIO, a visual kei artist, also released his mini album "REACH the SKY" this year, not really metal but still good stuff.

Non metal stuff was also great this year.

Death Grips released "The Money Store" this year, a catchy as all hell rap album. Very nice vocals and great beats.

The Flying Batteries released a split along with New Motive Power called "Snescore", some very nice synthpop stuff, very catchy.

I believe Ghost Animals released their album "New English" this year also. Some very good indie rock.

Ghost Kollective released their "Part Way There - 61 moons EP" this year I think. I can't really describe it, it's some pretty chill electronic with vocals.

Glen Check released "Haute Couture" this year. Some very nice synthpop and nice vocals. I'd really recommend that.

Lola Kite released "I Start to Believe You" this year also. Again, some very nice synth stuff

Toys With Knives released a two song demo thing called "Siamese Cousin", also some nice synthpop

Zulu Winter released "Language" which is a very nice indie rock album.

きゃりーぱみゅぱみゅ(Kyarypamyupamyu) released her album "ぱみゅぱみゅレボリューション(Pamyupamyu Revolution)" this year also. This is an extremely catchy J-Pop album.

Some highly anticipated albums I'm looking forward to are: Death Grips "No Love Deepweb" which I think is coming out October 23rd, Dethklok's "Dethalbum III" coming out October 16th, which is probably going to be my album of the year, and possibly Kid North's(indie rock) full length album, but I'm not sure if it's coming out this year.

Edit: aiieeeh, how can I forget? I'm also highly looking forward to Herbst's(Lantlos frontman) solo new wave EP from his project LowCityRain, and I'm also looking forward to the EP by blackgaze band Outlaw Wyvern.

Top
 Profile  
Sokaris
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:33 am
Posts: 1095
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:01 pm 
 

I think that Puteraeon album undoubtedly crushes Horrendous, Ignivimous, Revel in Flesh and any other oldschool worship album I've heard this year. Just... damn.
_________________
Kaos Aeon- Post-Apocalyptic Symphonic Extreme Metal

Top
 Profile  
Misfit74
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 1571
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:23 pm 
 

Sokaris wrote:
I think that Puteraeon album undoubtedly crushes Horrendous, Ignivimous, Revel in Flesh and any other oldschool worship album I've heard this year. Just... damn.


I tend to agree with this, though Desecrecy and Binah are definitely considerations in the '2012 OSDM best of' mix for me, as well. That said, the Puteraeon album is really, really fantastic.
_________________
Last.fm
My Music on RYM

Top
 Profile  
triggerhappy
Veteran

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:56 am
Posts: 2945
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:39 pm 
 

Sokaris wrote:
I think that Puteraeon album undoubtedly crushes Horrendous, Ignivimous, Revel in Flesh and any other oldschool worship album I've heard this year. Just... damn.

Humph, my love for Horrendous still remains. I remember hearing this once, but I must check this out again.

On another note, this year has been really, really shitty in terms of thrash. Only thing worth noting is Nekromatheon's album.
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
Veracs wrote:
Thats a shitload of Gargoyle mp3's you have on that thing I'm sure.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Top
 Profile  
Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:04 pm
Posts: 2292
Location: Mushroom Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:47 am 
 

http://bloodshotdawn.bandcamp.com/
Bloodshot Dawn, a melodeath/thrash band with some pretty technical guitar work and really good leads.

http://artbynumbers.bandcamp.com/
Art By Numbers. Not metal by this sites standards, but some people may like it. Similar to The Human Abstract, but with clean vocals.
_________________
Subrick wrote:
opet is tree metal! there early albums talk about trees!

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Top
 Profile  
GravityLapse
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:54 pm
Posts: 179
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:08 am 
 

Personally, I'd say if anything's even gonna come close to crushing the new Ignivomous, I'd put my vote towards the new Necrovation, not another swedeath clone. Witchrist was enjoyable, Horrendous was meh, Wrathprayer was mostly hype. None of them can compete with Ignivomous or Necrovation.

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3195
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 am 
 

Misfit74 wrote:
Sokaris wrote:
I think that Puteraeon album undoubtedly crushes Horrendous, Ignivimous, Revel in Flesh and any other oldschool worship album I've heard this year. Just... damn.


I tend to agree with this, though Desecrecy and Binah are definitely considerations in the '2012 OSDM best of' mix for me, as well. That said, the Puteraeon album is really, really fantastic.


Haven't listented to Binah yet, thanks for reminding me. And yes, the new Desecrecy is amazing, definitely in my death metal top 5 this year. The new Puteraeon was cool to listen to the first couple of times, but after that it became a little boring to sit through.... though I still listen to a couple of songs from time to time.
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1584
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:59 am 
 

I love Puteraeon's Cult Cthulhu, currently third in my 2012 OSDM worship list behind Binah and Desecresy.
Binah's Hallucination In Resurrecture is awesome though. They competently combine the grooviness of Bolt Thrower with the crushing darkness of Incantation. An absolutely fantastic debut.

Top
 Profile  
XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:43 pm
Posts: 140
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:17 pm 
 

I am really enjoying Denial of God - Death and the Beyond. Different from most black metal, it focuses on playing a nice mid-paced atmospheric / melodic style and sounds quite beautiful, as opposed to being ultra raw or blast-beat infested. It has a more traditional metal catchy riffing style with good production and with acoustic interludes.

Top
 Profile  
Misfit74
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 1571
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:40 pm 
 

Beer Baron wrote:
I love Puteraeon's Cult Cthulhu, currently third in my 2012 OSDM worship list behind Binah and Desecresy.
Binah's Hallucination In Resurrecture is awesome though. They competently combine the grooviness of Bolt Thrower with the crushing darkness of Incantation. An absolutely fantastic debut.


Good way to put it re: Binah.
_________________
Last.fm
My Music on RYM

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2344
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:44 pm 
 

Beer Baron wrote:
Binah's Hallucination In Resurrecture is awesome though. They competently combine the grooviness of Bolt Thrower with the crushing darkness of Incantation. An absolutely fantastic debut.


So they sound like Slugathor's last album? I'm buying this immediately.
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 3840
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:00 pm 
 

electric age.

Top
 Profile  
PostMetalActivist
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 194
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:37 pm 
 

I'm really enjoying Les Voyages de L'âme by Alcest, and a bunch of other albums. I just can't remember when stuff was released without looking it up, my collection on the computer is too big.

Top
 Profile  
Mimogrede
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:25 pm
Posts: 256
Location: Slovenia
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:02 pm 
 

triggerhappy wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
Krallice being messy and boring? NO WAY!

Well, they didn't use to be. Their debut had like 5 riffs per song and was very well-structured. Every album after that has been the same drivel though.


I have pretty much the opposite opinion, since I didn't like their first two albums that much, but I did like the third and last tone. It's just more listenable alltogether imo.
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
Quesadillas are the true enemies of metal...

Top
 Profile  
DisciplineOfRevenge
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:33 pm
Posts: 66
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:17 pm 
 

i have to add Rush- Clockwork Angels. so good.

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1584
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:31 pm 
 

Misfit74 wrote:
Beer Baron wrote:
I love Puteraeon's Cult Cthulhu, currently third in my 2012 OSDM worship list behind Binah and Desecresy.
Binah's Hallucination In Resurrecture is awesome though. They competently combine the grooviness of Bolt Thrower with the crushing darkness of Incantation. An absolutely fantastic debut.


Good way to put it re: Binah.


You'll have to help me imagine an appropriate smiley, bloody phone wont let me post any.

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1584
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:43 pm 
 

Dragunov wrote:
Beer Baron wrote:
Binah's Hallucination In Resurrecture is awesome though. They competently combine the grooviness of Bolt Thrower with the crushing darkness of Incantation. An absolutely fantastic debut.


So they sound like Slugathor's last album? I'm buying this immediately.

Yeah, but slightly more aggressive.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 36  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Morton Salt, Myrggh, ThePoop, thrashinbatman and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group