Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:01 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:
Darkspace - Dark Space -I

Mind-blowing stuff. Beautiful melodies (almost remind me of Germanic folk bands) buried beneath dense layers of distortion, and that drum machine just keeps hammering away.

Isn't that just a reissue of their demo?

Rerecording. It also adds about three minutes to Dark -1.-1

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:05 pm 

They get their fair share of shit thrown on them, but Down is a pretty solid band. I've been enjoying their "Down IV" EP a lot these days. This has been a great year for EPs: Deathspell Omega, Agalloch, Chrome Waves, Down...

EDIT: I forgot to mention Pelican. Their EP "Ataraxia/Taraxis" this year was solid as well.
"I am drunk as fuck, driving around town drunk, I'm on dope, and I want you to call the police. Not only that, but I got a loaded hand gun right here. I'm gonna start firing this off. So please call the cops." --Ricky, "Trailer Park Boys"

Last edited by Rusted and Rotting on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:13 pm 

Ah, I'll have to check that out then, as I've been jamming other Darkspace stuff a bit recently.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:14 pm 

Arkaik - Metamophignition

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:16 pm 

The new Between the Buried and Me is unbelievable.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:34 pm 

joppek wrote:
sourlows wrote:
Horrendous - The Chills
Probably mentioned a million times here so I won't go into it. Fleshrot = best Martin van Drunen impersonation!

i'm not seeing the van drunen similarity
the vocals on the chills are great - van drunen sounds kinda annoying a lot of the time and sounds like he's holding back and/or chocking on his own tongue most of the time; the most overrated death metal vocalist imo

The similarity is restricted to that particular song (Fleshrot). I mean whether you like Van Drunen's vocals or not, very few vocalists sound like that so there's little mistaking the influence imo and its a difficult style to emulate. Also the same reason you might dislike Van Drunen - who sounds like he is choking on his own tongue and about to vomit or his have his throat burst open at any second - is the precise reason a lot of people like him.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:52 pm 

7 H target's fast-slow demolition.

I'd just buy the record, but buying from a completely foreign (russian) label may have unforeseen dilemmas.
I haven't enjoyed brutal death metal this much since I listened to defeated sanity.

Skagos's single - anarchic

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 pm 

Anyone who's into Speed/Power stuff should defo check out Razorwyre's debut album, great stuff.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:44 pm 

OK, so I checked out the singles for a bunch of new power metal albums today:

First up, Orden Ogan's "The Things We Believe In." I didn't like this. :lol: It's exactly a 180 degree turn from the direction I wanted them to go back on the awesome Vale, and a further distillation of the worst elements from Easton Hope. Nice opening riffs and the vocals sound better than before, but the melody is pretty flimsy and very pop-folky, mostly just sounding silly, and the chorus is awful, just too happy and corny for a band that used to be quite dynamic in their mood and feel - it's a very shallow attempt at trying to be anthemic. This is the kind of thing fans of Turisas or Ensiferum would like...since I like neither of those, I can't say this does much for me. I hope the rest of the album is better, because this isn't looking too good otherwise.

Next, Mob Rules' "Ice and Fire," off of their new one Cannibal Nation. Mob Rules to the fucking core here, man - they've got their sound down pat and don't intend on changing it. Unlike the Orden Ogan song, this one actually is legitimately folky, and has some real genuine passion and feeling to it. It's a bit average from a songwriting standpoint, but the melody is nice and the guitars are quite subtly beautiful in a way - I can see this growing on me even more. And the vocals from Klaus Dirks are just sublime on this - maybe the best I've ever heard him. I think I'll like this one. :thumbsup:

And oh, man, Threshold's "Ashes" is just something out of this world. I put off listening to this because of the lack of Mac McDermott - I will do a mea culpa here and say this is absolutely amazing. This Damian Wilson guy who apparently sang on their old stuff sounds great, reminds me of the Psychotic Waltz singer or maybe older 70s prog guys - I can see why they wanted him back. The hook is so tightly written it might as well be a time capsule buried underground and the music is catchy and vibrant as hell. Buying this album this weekend.

Finally we have Elvenking's "The Loser." I couldn't make it even halfway through this earlier today...and frankly it's still pretty hard to do so. What is the appeal of this band? Who out there actually enjoys this cobbled together collection of shitty flutes dribbling all over pop punk riffs and vocals that sound like a guy with a head cold? The melodies are feather-light and pack no power, and seriously Damnagoras has got to be the worst vocalist working in power metal today. If someone has a rebuttal to any of this, I'd love to hear it.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Finally we have Elvenking's "The Loser." I couldn't make it even halfway through this earlier today...and frankly it's still pretty hard to do so. What is the appeal of this band? Who out there actually enjoys this cobbled together collection of shitty flutes dribbling all over pop punk riffs and vocals that sound like a guy with a head cold? The melodies are feather-light and pack no power, and seriously Damnagoras has got to be the worst vocalist working in power metal today. If someone has a rebuttal to any of this, I'd love to hear it.

Agreed. Wow, :lol: these guys are laugable now. Their fans are like Skylark fans - they pop out of nowhere with their diehard love.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
And oh, man, Threshold's "Ashes" is just something out of this world. I put off listening to this because of the lack of Mac McDermott - I will do a mea culpa here and say this is absolutely amazing. This Damian Wilson guy who apparently sang on their old stuff sounds great, reminds me of the Psychotic Waltz singer or maybe older 70s prog guys - I can see why they wanted him back. The hook is so tightly written it might as well be a time capsule buried underground and the music is catchy and vibrant as hell. Buying this album this weekend.

:thumbsup: Glad to see you come around on this one. I've been pumping this fine album for weeks, but my official copy just arrived today. Suffice to say, it's well worth the purchase. Damian Wilson is a great vocalist too, perfect for the band's uber-melodic contours and 70s prog influenced vibes. Definitely one of the best this year.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:23 am 

I checked out some new Elvenking tracks on Myspace, just to see if they'd be something I enjoy. My assessment was pretty close to Emp's.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:42 am 

Quote:
Anyone who's into Speed/Power stuff should defo check out Razorwyre's debut album, great stuff.

Didn't know it was out yet; I'll be getting a listen to that when I get the chance.

I came back to this thread to add two things; Winterfylleth's "The Threnody of Triumph", which is the first album by the band which feels truly stong, and really mature and thought-out, and Enslaved's Riitiir, because it's fantastically well written, and probably their most overtly beautiful album in years.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:21 am 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:
The new Between the Buried and Me is unbelievable.

It's good alright. Slightly surpassed my expectations. It gets off to a weak start with the overly melodic Astral Body, but it's all good after that. The short songs were annoying though, I preferred the more fleshed out ones. Extremophile Elite, Telos and Melting City are my favourites on the album.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:16 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
7 H target's fast-slow demolition.

I'd just buy the record, but buying from a completely foreign (russian) label may have unforeseen dilemmas.
I haven't enjoyed brutal death metal this much since I listened to defeated sanity.

Ah, I neglected to mention that one, but it's a fine choice indeed. How incredibly unique...like 'technical slam' in a way. It's fantastic.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:57 pm 

Liking Opus Alter by Ufomammut. Finding it easier to get into than Opus Primum which I did like. But I find Alter more heavy and better.

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:00 pm 

About a week ago I began listening to High on Fire's De Vermis Mysteriis. It totally blew me away!!! Honestly I love the sound of stoner metal, but I was never too fond of them. However, this album has totally made me change my mind about them.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:53 am 

Revolting - Hymns of Ghastly Horror.
Another brilliant OSDM revivalist album. Catchier than herpes.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:12 am 

Listening over and over bandcamp track from new Mefitic EP (death black metal). If the whole EP is like that then I'll definitely liking it...

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:30 pm 

recently i discovered a new generation thrash metal band called Zombie Fighter, i kinda like em, i think fans of Vektor and Skeletonwitch will probably dig them aswell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nn1u181Ny8

Diz_Buster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:16 am 

The new Hooded Menace is pretty great. Catchy as hell, as well.

Grief_Of_Adoration
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 am 

These 2 GEMs:

Evoken - Atra Mors

Anhedonist - Netherwards

Drahkarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:33 pm 

Enslaved's RIITIIR was pretty good. At least, in my opinion. I can't really critique it as I'm not much of an Enslaved fan, but I still found it really enjoyable.

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 pm 

Currently enjoying the latest Dordeduh and The Faceless.

I was surprised by the latter. I've always written them completely off because of where they began creatively, but Autotheism turned my opinion of them completely around. Granted, it's still not entirely original, I think. I've seen the term "Opethless" thrown around and I agree with that assessment. But I really like the album for what it is. And even though it is really "Opethian" I actually like it more than Opeth because Autotheism felt more cohesive and streamlined than what I heard from Opeth on Watershed and Ghost Reveries. Didn't meander nearly as much.

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:18 pm 

Dark Roots of The Earth by Testament. Great Album. I might re-post in here if I am able to get my hands on an album that came out this year.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:31 pm 

Just dropping in to say that Kontinuum's Earth Blood Magic is one of the best albums I've heard this year. A hidden gem from Iceland that coincidentally reminds me of Solstafir's latest stuff, but more schizophrenic.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:30 pm 

One like - I'm revisiting Waning and I want more of this black metal buzz sound. "Continuum" is hypnotic.

One dislike - I've heard Daylight Dies' new album in full. Dismantling Devotion is one of my favorite albums ever, and I liked LTTL. However, something huge was missing here. It had nice melodies and vocals overall, but the zest that made DD amazing felt detached and lost on this one. Maybe I'll need to give it a dozen more listens, but thus far it isn't looking good.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:55 pm 

That's disappointing, as I just got it. I don't think they'll recapture the magic of DD, but I hope you're wrong.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:06 pm 

I hope I'm wrong, too, but I've heard the sample tracks they've released prior to this multiple times and even they still have yet to sink in. That's bad, as both DD and LTTL left immediate enjoyment (one more than the other). This one, I mean, damn, I got through the whole thing (almost done with a second full listen) and it's just mundane in comparison.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:30 pm 

New Varg album is pretty decent so far. I'm not sure why there's been so much negativity towards their newer stuff, it's just really catchy pagan-y melodeath.

Mardrommar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:22 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
One like - I'm revisiting Waning and I want more of this black metal buzz sound. "Continuum" is hypnotic.

One dislike - I've heard Daylight Dies' new album in full. Dismantling Devotion is one of my favorite albums ever, and I liked LTTL. However, something huge was missing here. It had nice melodies and vocals overall, but the zest that made DD amazing felt detached and lost on this one. Maybe I'll need to give it a dozen more listens, but thus far it isn't looking good.

I know exactly what you're talking about. The first listen through, nothing really stood out to me except 'Sunset'. I've listened to the album about 6 or 7 times now, and it's grown on me quite strongly. You begin to hear the nuances.

I wasn't blown away by the song Dreaming of Breathing until I listened to it a few times. Now it's one of my favorites off the album.

Definitely an album that requires a bit of digestion. I instantly fell in love with Dismantling Devotion and Lost to the Living on the first play.

rbrnflms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:06 am 

Bullet- Full Pull
Cemetery Lust- Screams of the Violated
Coffin Texts- The Tomb of Infinite Ritual

Last edited by rbrnflms on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:20 am 

Maybe a little update...

Drudkh - Eternal Turn of the Whee
Mgla - With Hearts Towards None
Charon (ger) - Sulphur Seraph (The Acheron Principle)
Martire - Brutal Legions of the Apocalypse
Denial of God - Death and the Beyond
Absurd - Asgardsrei new edition
Goatmoon - Son of the Northwind
White Wolves Kommando 7"
Dark Sonority - Kaosrekviem

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:48 am 

Don't just list names. If you can't put more effort into your posts, don't post at all. Give us a little description, preferably a lot, but I suppose that would be expecting too much.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:21 pm 

Holy crap... that Martire album is good.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:17 pm 

Listening and liking SONNE ADAM - Doctrines of dark devotion EP right now. They chose different sound than before, more atmospheric I'd say. Vocals are bloodthirsty as hell. People on youtube were bitchin about too much reverb or something... I dont know... I just like it!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:15 pm 

slavonic777 wrote:
Listening and liking SONNE ADAM - Doctrines of dark devotion EP right now. They chose different sound than before, more atmospheric I'd say. Vocals are bloodthirsty as hell. People on youtube were bitchin about too much reverb or something... I dont know... I just like it!

Didn't even realise this existed! Any CD releases or is it just vinyl?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:38 pm 

SONNE ADAM - Doctrines of dark devotion EP

i am liking this as well as the new graveland and kawir releases.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:14 pm 

primitivevoid wrote:
SONNE ADAM - Doctrines of dark devotion EP

i am liking this as well as the new graveland and kawir releases.

Getting ready to check this out here shortly...

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:37 am 

That Revolting is a lot of fun, sounds like Bloodbath with stronger vocals and hints of melody throughout. Not bad at all.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 36  Next