* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:12 pm 

red_blood_inside wrote:
PlagueRages wrote:
Vinny Daze's drumming on Epidemic of Violence= hands down the most brutal drumming ever. Seriously he attacks the drums just so fucking hard everytime I hear Skull Fracturing Nightmare I want to destroy my house with a sledgehammer.

You are absolutly right, that whole album is killer, perhaps the most brutal thrash album ever!!! AVALANCH!!!

I forgot all about him. Might be the heaviest sounding drums I've ever heard in my life.... HUMAN! DISSECTION! OF SKELETAL REMAINS!

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:27 pm 

Quote:
Now, maybe not as well know as the dudes above, but I think the drummers from Akercocke, Ulcerate, Gojira, Cobalt and Scarve (that guy's a waste in Soilwork, just listen to Irradiant) are among the best of the the most "recent" metal bands.

I saw Ucerate about three-hours ago; It blew my brains clean out - the drummer was a prodigy - He's more or less up there with what Hellhammer does in Mayhem, easily. Made me feel an incredibly incompetent drummer.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:44 pm 

To clarify what I said; my main fault with Chris Witchunter was that he was often off-time. He had a lot of potential though. I did like the way he threw in a lot of fills, and was creative; that is a good thing. But he would do that; throw in a fill and then be a half-step behind the rest of the band, or rather the band would be a half-step behind him. It was like, he tried to be fast and technical, but it hurt the band that he couldnt keep a steady beat. I suppose I may have been to harsh on him. There was this old grind/death band called Disharmonic Orchestra which had a drummer (Martin Messier) who reminded me of Witchunter, but (if anything) he was even crazier and sloppier- he'd be all over the place, but the rest of the band seemed to have no idea what he was doing. This was on the early releases; and again; the guy was talented but completely unfocused- to use a good analogy, he was like one of those Michal Angelo Batio-type guitarists that can solo like a motherfucker, but yet cant come up with a decent riff.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:24 am 

Holy shit, those Slayer audition tapes exist? I can't believe it, honestly. I remember that series of auditions being the thing of legend back 10 years ago or so - I think Talley wasn't chosen specifically because he was too young (and because Lombardo wanted to come back, of course). Proscriptor claimed he was a finalist in the running and judging by the fact that they were in his home state doing this audition, I'd say he was. Kerry claimed at the time he never was. The best part of all of it was that Ray Herrera of Fear Factory auditioned and Kerry just slammed the dude publicly. Apparently he was like "OK, great, now turn off the triggers" and Ray couldn't play. His quote on it was something like "He hits like a pussy". LOL

Also Hellhammer is the most OVERRATED drummer. I've never heard the guy add anything to a record other than that he shows off how well he can tap the electronic drum pads. I've heard drum machines with more life. Many years ago I remember on alt.music.slayer someone doing an in depth analysis of his drumming on either Wolf's Lair Abyss or GDOW and displaying how Hellhammer sounds like he'd drumming with three arms because he layers his drum tracks to such a ridiculous degree.

JoeBlakkk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:58 am 

No love for Dave Culross?
his Malevolent Creation stuff was great and lets not forget Suffocations "Despise the Sun"

Kevin Talley for Dying Fetus and also Misery Index "Overthrow E.P." and "Dissent E.P."
also great stuff.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:15 am 

No mention of Cozy Powell yet? He's one of the best drummers. I'm surprised!
Since many of my favorite drummers were mentioned, i'm putting these now:
Andy Galeon (Death Angel)
He can play really fast and is a very versatile drummer, very underrated.-
Whoever was the drummer for the first two albums of Hirax. Man, that drumming was intense, even for a Thrash band (i was sincerely amazed of his skills) That's what i call playin' fast.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:32 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
One of the poorest drummers is without doubt Olav Berland of Forgotten Woods. I've neglected to listen to anything by them lately (a quick auditory glance at Race of Cain was enough for me), but his performance on Sjel Av Natten is incredibly lame. Stupid upbeats and shitty fills abound.
Bollocks! He's a big part of their appeal. I can't imagine Forgotten Woods with typical black metal drums; the rock drumming is cool and he's got a nice thin tone, too.

Not necessarily typical black metal drums, merely tasteful would suffice. His drumming is cretinous. Where some cool drum beats could've made the jumpier FW moments actually great, the silly drumming makes it all pretty embarassing to listen to.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:21 am 

Kai Hahto deserves a mention his playing on Rotten Sound - Exit was ridiculous, dude can blast like crazy while working in a great deal of groove and creativity. His early work with Cartilage also showed an imagination atypical for death metal drumming at the time.

Im surprised at the universally positive comments for Flo, dont get me wrong i loved his playing on None So Vile and in no way do i doubt his technical ability but the drums ruin the following albums for me. I get they are a tech band and though his drumming is diverse it is not paticularly dynamic or indusive to good songwriting.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am 

Nobody mentioned Paweł Jaroszewicz from Vader yet? His work on Welcome to the Morbid Reich is absolutely crushing.

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:06 am 

Most of my fave drummers have been spoken about in this thread ad nauseum, but I feel the need to mention Mike Portnoy, Nicke Andersson and Charlie Benante.

Portnoy - Seriously, the guy's a monster. Versatility on so many levels. Metropolis Part 1, anyone?
Andersson - Perhaps not the most technical or outlandish drummer, but his work with the mighty Entombed makes me too happy.
Benante - Just watching his performances on the Oidivnikufesin video back in the day made me a fan for life. Energy, Benante be thy name!

Kommandojonna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:51 pm 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Kai Hahto deserves a mention his playing on Rotten Sound - Exit was ridiculous, dude can blast like crazy while working in a great deal of groove and creativity. His early work with Cartilage also showed an imagination atypical for death metal drumming at the time.

Amazing drumming on Wintersun's album too. He is quite versatile drummer as he can handle slower stuff like Swallow the Sun too. Like Hellhammer, he has also studied jazz.

blastbeatshaman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:18 pm 

Of course, Portnoy goes without saying. The guy is an absolute monster behind the kit (who wouldn't want his massive kit?). Other mentions include Thomas Lang (StOrk), Peter Wildoer (his work with Pestilence and Electrocution 250 is killer), Gavin Harrison (his drumming with Porcupine Tree is awesome), Martin Lopez's work with Opeth, and Alex Rudinger's work with Threat Signal (check out his YouTube page for vids of him playing Soilwork, Animals as Leaders, etc.). Also, can't forget Navene Koperweis's work with AAL.

KazolOrajia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:19 pm 

I'm going to defend Paul Mazurkiewicz. He may not be innovative or technical, but he gets the job done, and I don't think he holds back the rest of the band at all.

I don't think Scott Travis has been mentioned yet. Definitely my favourite Priest drummer. Also seconding Inferno, probably my favourite extreme metal drummer period. I love the sound of his drums as well, very distinct.

Scared
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:31 pm 

Ryan Parrish, very quick drumming but sadly he left Darkest Hour :(

shiduba
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:31 pm 

I am Kai Hahto's student, and without any bias I can say that he is both an incredible metal drummer and a jazz drummer. He has shown me many things I hadn't even imagined before. "And after a while of training this technique, you can do this" *Plays something insane* and my mind is blown once again. He is a very great teacher.

Many of my new favorite drummers have come from these modern prog metal groups. Periphery's Matt Halpern is absolutely awesome with his ghost notes. Navene Koperweis is also amazing, and for example, Intervals, Substructure and Monuments have badass drummers. Cameron Losch from Born of Osiris is also pure insanity.

The only bad drummer I've saw within this genre is the drummer of Volumes. They are a very boring band already, and their drummer doesn't do much other than double the guitars. SO BORING!

autonomous_deity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:26 pm 

JIM ROE is one of the best drummers ever.

http://youtu.be/p6K-a0i5w-I

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:29 pm 

My vote for BEST goes to:

Krzysztof Saran of Deivos. Gotta love the wood blocks and cow-bell incorporation to his precise and absolutely savage drumming.

Last edited by Misfit74 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:41 pm 

Paul Mazurkiewicz seems pretty good in this video and he got the track in one take (try doing that Lars):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KZGmujAdao&list=PL013702DBA1B99E23&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Not technical, but who cares. I don't think Cannibal Corpse would be any better with technical drumming, and I'd actually prefer the more straight-forward approach. Plus, he's breaking his damn back for you people! Show him some appreciation.

ShadowSlayer95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:52 pm 

I'm going to go with Neil Peart. From Tom Sawyer to his spinning set on the Rock in Rio DVD and other percussion, he deserves his place, despite the placement of Rush being metal controversial. Another just because of Frozen Rainbow on The Eagle Has Landed III is Nigel Glocker of Saxon. Sure it may be ordinary, but it sounds unique and smooth. Scott Columbus deserves a mention in my book because of him smashing the drums (lol).

Worst I'll have to say is Lars Ulrich (done to death, I know, I haven't studied anything about music theory or anything like that).

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:01 pm 

WORST: Lars for sure. Old metallica was fast in the day, but it's nothing insanely intense like his expressions would lead one non-drumming individual to believe. If you ever listen closely to any of his double bass work, it's sloppy as fuck and just blows. Luckily it was kind of "hidden" on kill em' all, before the days of million dollar production jobs. That in mind, just to recap, Lars is turd behind the kit and should of stuck with his wilson racket instead of a monster kit.

BEST: More than a few come to mind, for different styles of course. Proscriptor from Absu is definitely a monster and at the top of the heap IMO. I like a lot of the lesser-mentioned drummers too that performed tremendously back in the day, like Rat Skates on overkill's first 2, And Away from voivod. Listen to RRROOOAAARRR sometime, the fucking double bass is unrelenting! Take that Lars :)

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:13 pm 

ShadowSlayer95 wrote:
I'm going to go with Neil Peart. From Tom Sawyer to his spinning set on the Rock in Rio DVD and other percussion, he deserves his place, despite the placement of Rush being metal controversial. Another just because of Frozen Rainbow on The Eagle Has Landed III is Nigel Glocker of Saxon. Sure it may be ordinary, but it sounds unique and smooth. Scott Columbus deserves a mention in my book because of him smashing the drums (lol).

Worst I'll have to say is Lars Ulrich (done to death, I know, I haven't studied anything about music theory or anything like that).

Neil Pert is the best drummer but this thread is best drummers in METAL. Rush is about as metal as Elton John.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:15 pm 

I admire the work of Kerim "Krimh" Lechner of Decapitated along with my Deivos mention earlier.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:39 am 

Another drummer that happens to be a personal favorite of mine is Chad Walls. Not overly technical or versatile, but he is perhaps the speed/blast king with good power. I'm mainly familiar with his older brutal death metal performances, such as the early Brodequin albums.

Short live clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7R-TxB9at8

I haven't heard his more recent stuff, but he may have gotten more versatile over the years (considering his main band now appears to be an epic/prog doom metal band, weird genre tag).

Edit: Looks like he has played live for a lot of different bands spanning different genres, such as a Metallica and Kiss cover band as well as a rockabilly band very recently.

Last edited by kybernetic on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:04 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
ShadowSlayer95 wrote:

Neil Pert is the best drummer but this thread is best drummers in METAL. Rush is about as metal as Elton John.

Terrible analogy...

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:22 am 

blastbeatshaman wrote:
Of course, Portnoy goes without saying.

No, he doesn't. Portnoy is purveyor of robotically rigid, terminally boring patterns and obnoxious, show-offy fills.

blastbeatshaman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:29 am 

One thing I will give to Paul Mazurkiewicz is that, listening to CC's version of "No Remorse," he does a MUCH better job than Lars did.

PlagueRages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:12 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Paul Mazurkiewicz seems pretty good in this video and he got the track in one take (try doing that Lars):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KZGmujAdao&list=PL013702DBA1B99E23&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Not technical, but who cares. I don't think Cannibal Corpse would be any better with technical drumming, and I'd actually prefer the more straight-forward approach. Plus, he's breaking his damn back for you people! Show him some appreciation.

I don't get all the hate for him either, he's hardly my favourite drummer nor is he technical but his drumming just fits in with Cannibal's music, and thats fine with me.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:13 pm 

If somebody mentioned him already I must have overlooked it but Robb Reiner is an animal behind the kit.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:46 pm 

Definitely agreeing with the dude who said Hannes Grossman. His instructional videos are a must-watch for anyone interested in proggy drumming.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:39 pm 

I'll probably get killed for saying this, but Chris Adler is pretty damn good.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 pm 

Quote:
I'll probably get killed for saying this, but Chris Adler is pretty damn good.

Yeah, say what you will, but he's got no shortage of talent - Apparently he's doing some stuff for Testament, which I await to hear.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:22 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
blastbeatshaman wrote:
Of course, Portnoy goes without saying.

No, he doesn't. Portnoy is purveyor of robotically rigid, terminally boring patterns and obnoxious, show-offy fills.

Come on he's obviously a virtuoso. One listen to the drumming in "Metropolis Pt. 1" is enough to prove that.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:27 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Come on he's obviously a virtuoso. One listen to the drumming in "Metropolis Pt. 1" is enough to prove that.

He's one of the best drummers out there from a technical perspective, but technicality alone doesn't make a great drummer, feeling-wise. Personally, I love Portnoy's playing, but if he fails to connect with someone on an emotional level through his playing, that's a defensible stance to have.

Personally, I really like his fills. They're fancy a lot of the time, but I don't really remember any moments in the midst of DT's smorgasbord of showboating where I would say, "No, no, that drum fill is simply too ostentatious for this 12/5 time signature. Rein it in, sir."

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:30 pm 

Other than all of the agreed-upon drummers (Smith, Hoglan, Sandoval, Roddy, Culross, etc.):

I always thought Chuck Biscuits was great with Danzig.

Alex Wank did great work with Pungent Stench. "Been Caught Buttering" has a great punky, dirty sound. Not the most technical or precise, but well done.

Ed Warby did some excellent drumming for Gorefest, especially on "False".

Martin Lopez is also an excellent drummer, very versitile.

Doc - one of the most intense drummers ever. R.I.P.

Lars is a good drummer (not the best), but he is lazy.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:50 pm 

I'm a big fan of Daray (Vesania, ex-Vader, Dimmu Borgir live-session).

todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:09 pm 

fans of Inferno should also check out Stormblast's (Infernal War, ex-Thunderboilt) works. the best part is how his works on both bands are done by the same person yet manage to sound different.
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:43 am 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
Other than all of the agreed-upon drummers (Smith, Hoglan, Sandoval, Roddy, Culross, etc.):

I always thought Chuck Biscuits was great with Danzig.

Alex Wank did great work with Pungent Stench. "Been Caught Buttering" has a great punky, dirty sound. Not the most technical or precise, but well done.

Ed Warby did some excellent drumming for Gorefest, especially on "False".

Martin Lopez is also an excellent drummer, very versitile.

Doc - one of the most intense drummers ever. R.I.P.

Lars is a good drummer (not the best), but he is lazy.

I love Ed Warby! His work with Hail Of Bullets is excellent.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:54 am 

Has Mike Mangini been mentioned yet? I know he did well on the last Dream Theater album but his performances with Annihilator and James Labrie's solo work are insane. And how about Thomen Stauch? His drumming was one of the things that made the early Blind Guardian albums and A Night At The Opera as good as they were. I also have to give some props to Igor Cavalera; I know I've only listened to three albums by Sepultura but he does his job pretty damn well.

As for bad drummers, the only ones that immediately come to mind are those that others have mentioned. I know the drum sound was noticeably off on Fueled By Fire's debut album though that may have changed with the band's newer effort.

blastbeatshaman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:09 am 

<< Has Mike Mangini been mentioned yet? I know he did well on the last Dream Theater album but his performances with Annihilator and James Labrie's solo work are insane. And how about Thomen Stauch? His drumming was one of the things that made the early Blind Guardian albums and A Night At The Opera as good as they were. I also have to give some props to Igor Cavalera; I know I've only listened to three albums by Sepultura but he does his job pretty damn well. >>

Mike Mangini's a monster drummer. Anyone who had a teaching position at Berklee HAS to be good. His work with Steve Vai and Annihilator are incredible. Igor Cavalera is awesome. His work with Sepultura speaks for itself, but also check out his playing with Nailbomb and Cavalera Conspiracy.

Other guys to check out are Thomas Lang from StOrk, Marco Minnemann from Paul Gilbert's solo band, Peter Wildoer (his work with Electrocution 250, Pestilence and James LaBrie's solo records are sick), and Stone Sour's Roy Mayorga. Speaking of Corey Taylor-fronted bands, Slipknot's drummer, Joey Jordison is SICK. Also, former Korn drummer David Silvera.

StellarGraves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:12 am 

Best in my opinion: Romain Goulon, Frost, Paul from Cannibal Corpse (Because of the fact he never changed his style & still matches 100% with CC's music), Hellhammer, Erik Brødreskift, Mike Smith.
Jamie Saint Merat (Of Ulcerate)..

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next