Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:42 am 

I assume that this is not the first time this has been discussed, but alas, not recently.

At first I thought it would be pretty easy to put this together but after a while it got more complicated. Should I consider what kind of music they are playing now, or even would their personalities match? And then as far as choices; I could pick 10 awesome drummers just like that, bass players on the other hand proved pretty difficult, cause I really don't care that much about them enough to find many that stand out (sorry all bass players out there).

And what about singing, clean vocals, growl, both? Man, what should my band sound like? Well, looking at the names I have now, I have no idea :)

Anyway here's my first draft, including two backups:

Vocals - Chuck Billy, (Janne JB Christoffersson, Sami Hynninen)
Guitar (lead) - Fredrik Thordendal (David Davidson, Matt Pike)
Guitar (rhythm) - James Hetfield (Mikael Åkerfeldt, Jerry Cantrell)
Bass - Steve DiGiorgio (Justin Chancellor, Tim Commerford)
Drums - Nicke Andersson (Blake Richardson, Chuck Biscuits)

Also I realized that there are some multi talented people in there, so they could just switch places if they feel like it.

Hit me with your lineups.

jedimasterhassan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 am 

vocals- rob halford
guitar- glenn tipton
guitar- k.k. downing
bass- ian hill
drums- les binks

jedimasterhassan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:15 am 

but aside from that, i'm not sure. i'd probably have a few different bands. here's one

vocals- halford
guitar- tony iommi
guitar- jimmy page
bass- steve harriss
drums-richard christy

i don't even know what that would sound like, but it'd probably be pretty awesome

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:18 am 

Varg Vikernes - everything.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:33 am 

eric adams - vocals
joey demaio - bass
ross the boss - guitar
scott columbus - drums

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:36 am 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
eric adams - vocals
joey demaio - bass
ross the boss - guitar
scott columbus - drums

That would've been a pretty sweet line up about 20 years ago. Now it just makes me sad.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:42 am 

I always thought it'd be cool to hear King Diamond singing with the classic Danzig lineup.

King Diamond - Vocals
John Christ - Guitar
Eerie Von - Bass
Chuck Biscuits - Drums

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:43 am 

Can we have somewhat more explanation and analysis than that? A list isn't very interesting.

Mine would have Infernus (Gorgoroth) and Bob Vigna (Immolation) on guitars. Because this is a fantasy band, Infernus would still be capable of the same genius that can be heard in his first three albums. Infernus would write mournful, furious tremolo riffs, and Vigna would churn out mindblowing, atonal death metal brutality. Certainly, it'd take some work to figure out a synergy between the two, but it could be done.

Vocals would be delivered by Lord Worm. High screams and deep gutturals in equal part.

Alexander Von Meilenwald (Nagelfar, The Ruins of Beverast) would be drumming as well as working with songwriting and post-production.

Merits in bass playing are rarely something I take much into account, although I do appreciate great bass players. Maybe Alex Webster or something.

In case Vigna and Infernus wouldn't really mix well, I might substitute the former with Fredrik Schälin (Anata). His brilliant and unique ear for melody would make a perfect band combined with Infernus' dark melancholy and aggression.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:57 am 

Vocals (Clean & Harsh, Female) - Floor Jansen
Vocals (Clean & Harsh, Male), Harmony Guitar- Jari Mäenpää
Lead Guitar - Olavi Mikkonen
Rhythm Guitar & Vocals (Harsh) - Tomi Kouivusaari
Bass (Fretted) & Vocals (Backing)- Sami Hinkka
Bass (Fretless) - Sean Malone
Keyboards - Kevin Moore
Drums - Shawn Benson
Bagpipes, Flutes, Whistles - Sevan Kirder

Musically speaking, the idea is proggy melodeath, with a tinge of jazz every now and then. I loaded up on players because I am a firm believer in the power of harmony and having options. These are all players whose work I particularly like, who play styles similar to the project's (melodic death metal, power metal, or progressive metal), and who have demonstrated sufficient capability with their respective roles.

Both Floor & Jari pull off the more "majestic" clean vocals very well, including more ballsy tones. I also specifically picked them for their ability to perform harsh vocals as well. I included Tomi also on vocals because neither Floor nor Jari do the lower death growls.

Olavi Mikkonen has one of the best senses of melody around, in my opinion. Once Sent From the Golden Hall remains one of my favorite albums as far as lead guitar goes, so selecting him was a no-brainer for me. Admitedly, Tomi is only really there because of his vocal ability, but he can do the job adequately. The idea of having Jari perform harmony guitar as well was to allow for Maiden-esque harmonies live or counter-melody without sacrificing the rhythm guitar, or even for playing regular chords over the background.

Perhaps one of the stranger parts of this line-up is the presence of two bass players. Sami Hinkka's six-string fretted bass and Sean Malone's five-string fretless allow for one bass player to follow the guitar rhythm and one to follow the drum rhythm, or one to play a traditional bass line while the other gets more intricate or atmospheric, etc. The particular idea is for the fretted to bass to play a more traditional (metal-wise) bassline, while the fretless adds special touches here and there.

Kevin Moore was selected for keyboards because he is a wonderful composer and player, with an excellent sense of melody (emotionally speaking) and, most specifically to his role, atmosphere. I've never been much for paying attention to drums, but Shawn Benson from Theocracy is someone whose playing I actually pay attention to, so he got that slot. The bagpipes were added just for kicks and giggles, and because bagpipes are awesome.

Edit: If I could resurrect Chuck Schuldiner, he would be on that list, too.

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:02 pm 

Maniac - Vocals
David Vincent - Bass/Vocals
Jon Nödtveidt - Guitar/Vocals
Rehn - Guitar
Ihsahn - Keyboards/Vocals
Hellhammer - Drums

Melodic Blackened Death Metal with a symphonic support system. The guitars and vocals would be the primary focus but the keyboards would add layers to build upon Jon and Rehn's riffs. A quadruple vocal attack with trade offs and layering galore. David Vincent would use his Altars of Madness era growl. The sound would be like this Necrophobic tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoj5zCt5ytA

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:10 pm 

For a death metal band I would like something like:

Craig Pillard: vocals
Chris Illogium (Portal): guitar
Dan Swanö: Guitar (additional vocals)
Dave Vincent: Bass (+ vocals if needed)
Alex Hernandez: Drums

This combination would be kinda weird; Pillard is THE master of growls and his vocals are perfect for oppressive dm; Vincent, Hernandez and Swanö are veterans who know how to play OSDM but they might also add a twist to it. Their vocals would be a nice contrast to Pillard's depending the context and Hernandez's powerful yet precise work would simply kill. Illogium? He's there to bend minds with his chaotic riffing. Imagine Immolation + Portal chaotic/dissonant riffs + a old school feeling with Pillard commanding. Even some places would use the deep Vincent's clean vocals as a sort of summoning/invocation theme.

For a black metal band, this would be great:

Pest: vocals; if not, Aldrahn/Kvohst
Snorre Ruch: Guitars
Infernus: guitars
Vicotnik: bass
Czral: Drums (not sure if he can play them nowadays), if not, Shamaatae.
Xytras: keys

This is a bit more obvious in general terms; avantgarde black metal but the results are totally unpredictable. Snorre + Xytras would give it a heavy industrial feeling, but the more traditional bm sections would rule: classically influenced riffs of Infernus + the powerful delivery of Shammatae would assure a brutal display of bm. If Crzal is drumming + Vicotnik on bass like he did on Code + Snorre's unique riffing would mean a serious mindfuck of a/g... the possibilities are endless!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:10 pm 

For a death metal band I would like something like:

Craig Pillard: vocals
Chris Illogium (Portal): guitar
Dan Swanö: Guitar (additional vocals)
Dave Vincent: Bass (+ vocals if needed)
Alex Hernandez: Drums

This combination would be kinda weird; Pillard is THE master of growls and his vocals are perfect for oppressive dm; Vincent, Hernandez and Swanö are veterans who know how to play OSDM but they might also add a twist to it. Their vocals would be a nice contrast to Pillard's depending the context and Hernandez's powerful yet precise work would simply kill. Illogium? He's there to bend minds with his chaotic riffing. Imagine Immolation + Portal chaotic/dissonant riffs + a old school feeling with Pillard commanding. Even some places would use the deep Vincent's clean vocals as a sort of summoning/invocation theme.

For a black metal band, this would be great:

Pest: vocals; if not, Aldrahn/Kvohst
Snorre Ruch: Guitars
Infernus: guitars
Vicotnik: bass
Czral: Drums (not sure if he can play them nowadays), if not, Shamaatae.
Xytras: keys

This is a bit more obvious in general terms; avantgarde black metal but the results are totally unpredictable. Snorre + Xytras would give it a heavy industrial feeling, but the more traditional bm sections would rule: classically influenced riffs of Infernus + the powerful delivery of Shammatae would assure a brutal display of bm. If Crzal is drumming + Vicotnik on bass like he did on Code + Snorre's unique riffing would mean a serious mindfuck of a/g... the possibilities are endless!

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:38 pm 

Niklas Kvarforth: guitars/clean vocals/general composition
There's not enough love for this man on this forum. His masterful songwriting is shadowed by his stupid attitude. But damn...Niklas is a musical genious, Shining has evolved with each album taking numerous progressive influences and getting more and more complex and beautiful.

Adam Zaars: guitars/general composition
This guy will become the new Dan Swano. He is a twenty-something year old guy who has composed some of the best swedish modern metal riffs (Ghost, Repugnant, Tribulation, Enforcer) he is a very varied musician capable of kicking arses in different genres.

Dan Swano: vocals (growls) and guitars
Do I really have to add something? total genius! He can pull of soft progressive rock (Nightingale) OSDM (Bloodbath) and the perfect combination of both (Moontower/Edge of Sanity)

Skoll: bass
A great musician, a tasteful bassist. His work in Arcturus, Ulver and Ved Buens Ende is the proof of his inmense talent.

Pete "Commando" Sandoval: drums
He is a very violent and fast drummer, I'd like to hear how his violent blast beats match with the progressive influences of the musicians listed above.

Insahn: keyboards/general composition

This band would have a notorious progressive approach, also a violent old school sound comming from Sandoval, Swano and even Zaars. Some black metal backing vocals by Niklas would be a nice touch.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.