Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:41 pm 

Phil Mcsorley wrote:
I have decided to quit Cobalt. I am grateful for what Cobalt started from, and the impressive amount of people affected by its music. I still feel a connection with the work we did, but I no longer feel that I am a part of its vision.

Cobalt started with Erik and I making angry and heartfelt music, that later moved into more expressive music. It held a ton of symbology to my life, and for its help in making me who I am I am grateful.

I will continue to make music on my own terms, but for me Cobalt is best left where it is. Thanks to all for the years of friendship and support. If Erik continues to create under the name Cobalt I support his decision. He was always a genius anyway.

Fuck :( They've been dropping little hints for a few years now that they were working on new material, but looks like that's not going to happen. I got into these guys around the time Gin came out and was pretty enthralled by them. At the time I thought they were probably one of the best metal bands on the planet; they just had this raw energy and slightly progressive nuances that clicked for me. Guess I know what I'll be listening to for the next few days. I'm glad Phil is at least being honest about his heart not being in it anymore, because I'd hate for a dishonest record to be released. Still, I'll miss his presence in Cobalt.

EDIT: There's been a new development since, and apparently Phil is back in. Much thanks to narsilianshard for posting it here first, but I'm going to stick Phil's statement in the OP so people won't have to hunt for it.

Quote:
In the end, all one ever experiences is one's self.
Erik and I have had a rocky last few years due to extreme personal experience. I cant discredit him for his profound personal development, considering that I have been elusive due to my nature as well.
We have spoken and a new Cobalt album will be recorded, and will be massive and overshadow everthing we,and many others, have ever done.
Death metal is eternal.

Last edited by RedMisanthrope on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:08 pm 

damn...
maybe this leads to an Cobalt that will perform live regularly, we shall see.

dystopia4
Thumbman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:49 pm 

Damn, just ruined my buzz...

I highly doubt Cobalt will continue without McSorely.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:07 am 

He can't honestly think his horrendous solo project is better than Cobalt.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:56 am 

Mixed feelings about this. As tomcat_ha said, his leaving the band could potentially lead to a lineup that's both more productive and more active in playing shows. His lyrics will certainly be missed, but I suppose it's possible Erik will find someone to front the band who's got a similar level of intensity behind the microphone. I can't really comment further until there's more news about the band's future and possibly more lineup news.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

dystopia4
Thumbman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:15 am 

Guys, I really, really don't think Cobalt will continue without Phil. If they do, I still think Erik would want to handle guitar and drums. They'd still have to find a guitar player for live performances. It sucks that they broke up, but on the bright side their final album will be their masterpiece and they will have finished on a high note. I do really like Man's Gin, but I still hope Erik continues making heavy music (if not anything else, at least as a drummer).

My "Gin" shirt just came in the mail earlier this week, happy I got one while I still had a chance.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:26 pm 

I am quite sure seeing Cobalt live if the musicians playing are competent could be quite the experience and im quite sure they never played here (much) so i will be quite bummed if this ends Cobalt without seeing them live.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:42 pm 

Cobalt did one tour, ever, and that was a string of a few shows after MDF last year. They said that will be their one and only tour as a band.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:08 pm 

I figured Cobalt was done awhile back due to lack of any real news and the news I had heard of McSorely's solo project awhile back. The writing was on the wall long ago.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:55 am 

It's a shame, but like SLK said: it seems like it was bound to happen.

I guess the show at MDF last year sort of made me think "what if", but it's not very surprising. They gave us some great records, so it's sad to see them go, but we can always spin those.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:27 pm 

Yea to me they went out on a high note of people wanting more and not angered they released something that was subpar.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:33 pm 

Something changed, new album in the works! This appears to be written from McSorley's perspective. From their facebook:

Quote:
In the end, all one ever experiences is one's self.
Erik and I have had a rocky last few years due to extreme personal experience. I cant discredit him for his profound personal development, considering that I have been elusive due to my nature as well.
We have spoken and a new Cobalt album will be recorded, and will be massive and overshadow everthing we,and many others, have ever done.

Profound Lore chimed in as well saying the album is "imminent" but I'd be very surprised if we see this thing this year, if it indeed happens at all.

RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:48 pm 

Was just coming here to post this development. I've changed the title of the thread accordingly. While I'm psyched, this makes me wonder what exactly happened to make Phil leave to begin with. This new statement makes it seem to me that they had a falling out, or something like that. I am excited, but I hope his presence isn't an on again off again affair, and that he's not just doing it just out of obligation. I really want the new album to be amazing, because I know it can be.
Death metal is eternal.

dystopia4
Thumbman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:12 am 

Heard this earlier today, great news. I'd imagine most of the album is done, at least instrumentally as Erik has been working on it for a long time. Gin will probably be my favourite album by them no matter what they release, but I have a feeling this next one is going to be a massive fucking beast.

TheNiceNightmare
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:22 am 

Personally I'm interpreting the update as Phil simply agreeing to do one more before they split again on more amicable terms. While having one more Cobalt album is great news, I wouldn't be too excited about them continuing after this new release. Buuuuut then I'm probably wrong.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 am 

Well, I'm cool with this. Let's give it one last hurrah, why not?

Cicatrice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:40 am 

Interesting. I never commented on the thread before this update. Been a big Cobalt fan for a few years now, and I'm interested in seeing a new one. As someone said, perhaps after this release they are done, but I feel like this album is going to be a beast of an album so I'm good with that if that's what they all want. Will be eagerly awaiting the new one, although who knows if we'll see it this year.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:53 pm 

guess he wasn't too sore about it

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:56 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
guess he wasn't too sore about it

I really, really hope this was a terrible pun and not just a casual comment on the situation.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:24 pm 

Especially since his name is spelled Sorley.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:58 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:

goddammit, OP

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:09 am 

It's still funny :P

RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:15 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

goddammit, OP

I literally just saw this. God damn I'm an idiot. I've corrected my mistake, but hopefully Phil himself doesn't come at me with a double barrel shotgun.
Death metal is eternal.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:07 pm 

Sorley he wouldn't take it so seriously.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:33 pm 

I'd rather see them end it with a european tour than a new album to be completely honest but i guess that will never happen...
Still stoked ofc!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:03 pm 

I'll buy it when it comes out.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:56 am 

Oh man, so much drama the past couple days. Phil from Cobalt posted on his band Recluse's Facebook page telling Kim Kelly (well known metal writer) to "suck his fucking cock" and calls people "faggot jean vest friends". Hilarity and insanity ensue. Today, Erik confirms that he has kicked Phil out of Cobalt because of it and he's going to record the new album without him this summer.

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:27 pm 

It's not just that post either. Phil has been saying all sorts of racist/homophobic stuff on his FB for the past few days too.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:45 pm 

Haha wow, check out Caïna's Facebook page for some real gold.

I just don't understand that guy. I saw some interview with him from years ago where he was pretty calm and collected if a bit blunt, but in recent times he seems to basically have just turned into an edgy teenager in a man's body. Anyway, Cobalt is Erik Wunder, so it's good that he can finally move forward with the project. As much as I like McSorely's vocals, between his attitude and his schedule seemingly preventing the band from being productive have been pretty big bummers so I guess good riddance.

tomservo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:35 pm 

I'm having Gamergate flashbacks

http://meatmeadmetal.wordpress.com/2014 ... l-circles/

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:01 pm 

well he did fight in afghanistan... maybe that did something to his mind.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:02 pm 

Sounds like he needs to get some help, then.

I agreed with that Brian guy's rant, but I find the goofy hardline posturing at the end to be a little embarrassing. He fully made his point before delving into the pointless "we don't need you, amirite guys?" BS at the end.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:33 pm 

I saw this blow up on twitter. Phil was acting like a goddamn bigoted baby. That's all. He may have differing opinions but abusing Kim Kelly and the other USBM bands in that manner will surely get people to distance themselves from him. No wonder, Erik booted him out of Cobalt.

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:08 pm 

Funny, the only thing I saw of this was Erik's calm, collected, and mature post on FB. Had no idea about all this drama. Good on Erik.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:18 pm 

The irony behind his madness is mesmerizing. His band (named Recluse) has an active social media presence. On said social media he decries technology (while using said technology) and talks shit about those who conform (he willingly volunteered for the US Army). :???:

But yes, great for Erik for being so calm and collected and doing what needed to be done. I still have complete faith in what Cobalt will become.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:38 pm 

I used to have steady contact with Phil. We hung out when they played a show in Richmond too. After that tour this behavior started. He took some criticisms hurled at Cobalt and his stage presence pretty personally. I no longer keep contact, couldn't handle the attitude and bigotry.

All this brother love metal is just as obnoxious. So much whine.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:48 pm 

he's a crabby patty, just like my screaming 6 month old!

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:14 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
After that tour this behavior started. He took some criticisms hurled at Cobalt and his stage presence pretty personally.

Can you expand on this? Cobalt is one of the most beloved USBM bands and all the reviews I read of their short tour were extremely positive. I really have trouble believing a couple negative comments from strangers turned him hateful bigot.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:33 am 

Well, I saw them at MDF and it was...something else. The mix wasn't perfect but the band sounded really good and it was amazing to hear them, but Phil's antics did seem a bit over-the-top and try-hardish. He kept hitting himself in the face/forehead with the microphone, tore his shirt all up, etc. I mean I guess on paper that stuff doesn't sound too unusual for metal, but since the band doesn't wear corpsepaint or go out all out with stage props and fire and pigs' blood and shit like that, it just sorta seemed like they had a crazy guy on vocals in a band full of regular guys. I guess what I'm saying is that if you take short-haired American guy in a USBM band full of guys who look like, well, guys who are in a USBM band, then have him do a bunch of crazy black metal shit on stage, it just sorta seems a bit try-hard and poseury. Go all the way with the theatrics or not, you know?

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:31 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Well, I saw them at MDF and it was...something else. The mix wasn't perfect but the band sounded really good and it was amazing to hear them, but Phil's antics did seem a bit over-the-top and try-hardish. He kept hitting himself in the face/forehead with the microphone, tore his shirt all up, etc. I mean I guess on paper that stuff doesn't sound too unusual for metal, but since the band doesn't wear corpsepaint or go out all out with stage props and fire and pigs' blood and shit like that, it just sorta seemed like they had a crazy guy on vocals in a band full of regular guys. I guess what I'm saying is that if you take short-haired American guy in a USBM band full of guys who look like, well, guys who are in a USBM band, then have him do a bunch of crazy black metal shit on stage, it just sorta seems a bit try-hard and poseury. Go all the way with the theatrics or not, you know?

I'm not a fan of Cobalt, i think they're awful, but his performance was the most interesting part of the set. The Conqueror shirt he wore signified a lot of his personal ethos in that band, if you get me.

it's meandering, plodding, repetitive, and long winded music, his performance made it somewhat tolerable. The fact that they opened for Bolt Thrower was ridiculous.

Your generalizes about appearance encapsulate a larger issue, but I digress. His performance was fitting and hardly foreshadowing bigoted and immature rants online even if he was trying to make the band more intense rather than their meditative nature.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next