* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:05 pm 

Looks like this FINALLY will come true.

Quote:
Philadelphia (November 25 at The Fillmore) and Detroit (November 28 at The Fillmore) have been selected as the cities on the "Abigail In Concert 2015" tour at which KING DIAMOND will film the live shows for the band's forthcoming DVD. The massive, multi-camera shoot will be directed by Denise Korycki (CANNIBAL CORPSE, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE), and will also include additional footage from multiple shows throughout the trek.

KING DIAMOND will perform its classic second album, 1987's concept effort "Abigail", in its entirety on the band's upcoming U.S. tour. Support on the trek, which will begin on October 29 and run through December 5, will come from legendary San Francisco Bay Area thrash metallers EXODUS.

KING DIAMOND guitarist Andy La Rocque told Artisan News about the making of the "Abigail" album: "I've actually got some great memories [from the recording sessions for the LP]. I remember the whole studio thing pretty well, actually. Back in… I think we started back in December 1986 to record it, after we got back from some touring and stuff, and some writing too, and rehearsing, of course. [It was a] very cold winter back in Copenhagen, you know. We spent about two months, I think, with the recording and the mixing. And the whole recording process, I thought, was very, very creative, and I think we just captured an amazing atmosphere on the whole album, which still, when you listen to it today, is, like, 'Wow!' You get back to the feel you had for it while you recorded it. So it's still a very cool and special album to me."

KING DIAMOND in 2002 released an album called "Abigail II: The Revenge", which was said to feature a storyline that was the sequel to the original "Abigail" LP.

La Rocque in July said that KING DIAMOND hasn't officially started working on material for the follow-up to the band's 2007 album "Give Me Your Soul...Please", but he talked about a possible direction for the next CD. He said: "Hopefully the sound of the album is gonna be better. I don't really know about the story or… I've got some riffs and such that I wrote a few years back, actually, but I have to go back and check that to see if that still can be used. I don't know about that, because we get new ideas all the time. So we'll see about that. But I'm sure we're gonna have some fresh, good ideas for the next album, that's for sure. And when that's gonna happen, we don't really know."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/king-d ... 52e2WZu.99

Youtube: show

King sounds really good IMO, this should rule!

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:09 pm 

King Diamond is my favourite band/artist so this is nothing but good news for me. Makes it even better that it's Abigail in it's entirety too. Absolute masterpiece of an album. I saw him at Bloodstock last year and his voice is still incredible. It's a shame that this Abigail tour isn't in the UK though. Would have love to see that in person.

mark of the devil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:01 am 

Ill be at the Detriot show....maybe I can be immortalized on the dvd.

Niklas Sanger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:48 pm 

I'll be at the Philly show.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:17 am 

"About fucking time" doesn't even begin to cover the tiniest bit of this.

Wombface
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:57 am 

^^ Couldn't have said it better myself. King's been talking about this since fucking forever.

Mandex75
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:22 am 

This one comes way too late, an official live from the '80ies would have been the real deal. Better than nothing of course, but KD 2015 isn't 20% of what he used to be.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:14 pm 

Mandex75 wrote:
but KD 2015 isn't 20% of what he used to be.

I'd say his voice has held up remarkably well compared to literally anyone else at his age. I caught him live last October and was blown away, his falsetto was absolutely perfect, flawless. He hit every single high note with ease. He did sound a bit willowy when doing some of the mid-range stuff, but I'd imagine he was just out of breath because he was really pushing it with those screams :lol:.

I have a chance to see the Philly show on the 25th since I have the day off, but it's a 6 hour trip and I don't have a vehicle that will make it. I would hate to miss it, but at the very least the show will be immortalized on DVD for me to watch later :hail:. Now I really just hope for a...new...fucking...album....

Mandex75
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:49 pm 

Yeah well, he does sound decent enough, no doubt. I would have loved to have a proper live from the golden era, with the first line up and his classic MF make-up instead of that annoying new one he's been using for quite some time now (and man he should get rid of that lousy top hat for hell's sake). I will still buy this when it comes out though.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:11 pm 

Yeah well, filming concerts in the 80's was a hell of a lot harder and more expensive than it is now. Which is why only major-label bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest ever had the resources to release home videos in those days. Sepultura was one of the first underground bands to release a properly filmed concert VHS (Under Siege) and that was considered to be an outstanding achievement at the time. As far as KD in the 80s goes, something like this is probably as good as it gets.

ScandalfTheShite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:31 am 

This is certainly good news, but I would still rather have a new album. It would be interesting to see where the maestro will go after those amazing recent albums. Still this dvd is a must buy. I know Abigail front to back.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:44 pm 

I'll be at the Detroit show as well. Really excited for this, love KD (though I'd be 1000x more stoked for a MF reunion) and have always wanted to see him. Couldn't catch the Mayhem fest this year - not too disappointing, he was the only artist there I really wanted to see. Anyways this should be fecking awesome. And Abigail in it's entirety too...what a cool set. Hopefully he throws in a few MF tunes for an encore or something. Exodus opening only makes everything better.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:05 am 

Bumping this to say I've been playing Abigail a lot in anticipation for this show and MAN that album is perfect. One of the towering (haunted) achievements of heavy metal.

Regarding the story...someone please edify me. Do they return to find new baby Abigail gnawing on the corpse of her former self? Or is it the ressurected embryo that the returning Black Horsemen uncover that they deign to take into the woods?

MetalPunkGrind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:47 am 

Looking forward to the DVD. Now I just hope he will tour New Zealand or Australia sometime soon.

Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:36 am 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
Regarding the story...someone please edify me. Do they return to find new baby Abigail gnawing on the corpse of her former self? Or is it the ressurected embryo that the returning Black Horsemen uncover that they deign to take into the woods?

I always interpreted it as Abigail eating Mariam though the whole thing seems rather ambiguous.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:51 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:

I always interpreted it as Abigail eating Mariam though the whole thing seems rather ambiguous.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Mariam died giving birth and Abigail was eating her corpse.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:31 am 

Makes sense. What a fantastically ghoulish ending. I thought maybe the baby ate the old embryo of the original Abigail but I remember now King writes the last thing Miriam saw was Abigail's yellow eyes.

Let's turn this into an Abigail appreciation thread, too. What is everyone's favorite song on the album?

For me it's a toss up between Arrival, A Mansion in Darkness and the title track. I think Mansion gets it because of the guitar work but every song on this album is completely dominant.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:17 pm 

For me it's a toss up between Arrival, A Mansion in Darkness and the title track. I think Mansion gets it because of the guitar work but every song on this album is completely dominant.

Well, like you said every song is an absolute masterpiece, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be....

"Black Horsemen". That song is magical, just a breathtaking masterpiece. One of the best songs in all of music (I'm a proud King Diamond fanboy so sue me!!!), and Michael Denner's solo at the end is my favorite solo of all time. When I listen back to this song, I get a really emotional reaction. Everything about it was done right, from the ingenious songwriting, the incredible riffs, the powerful and unforgettable lyrics (NOW WE'RE FINALLY ALONE - MIRIAM!!!! A-BI-GAIL IS HERE TO STAAAAAAY!!!!!). Michael Denner's lead at the end of his solo sometimes brings tears to my eyes, and the way the song fades out with the soft, eerie acoustics it began with, sends the album off in top form. It's one of the few examples of an absolutely perfect, flawless song.

ScandalfTheShite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:49 am 

For me it's probably 7th Day of July... Along Black Horsemen of course. That riff and solo after the acoustic intro, that always gets me. And the lyrics: "Oh it was a bastard child!" Fucking great.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:26 pm 

Mandex75 wrote:
This one comes way too late, an official live from the '80ies would have been the real deal. Better than nothing of course, but KD 2015 isn't 20% of what he used to be.

Really?? Since his heart surgery and the fact that he quit smoking gave him a new lease on his voice. From the clips I've heard since that time he's sounding better than he has in a while.

The Elitist Metalhead
The Elitist Metalhead on Facebook

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:07 pm 

Yeah the latest KD live videos show him to be in pretty good voice, but it's weird because his falsetto is actually more on point than his mid-range stuff which is still hit-or-miss as far as being in key goes...

I JUST WANT A NEW FUCKING ALBUM.

abednego
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:22 am 

King Diamond sucks.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:25 am 

abednego wrote:
King Diamond sucks.

Wow. Such a thought provoking and intelligent reply.

The Elitist Metalhead
The Elitist Metalhead on Facebook

Catman138
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:19 pm 

I always interpreted it as Abigail eating Mariam though the whole thing seems rather ambiguous.[/quote]
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Mariam died giving birth and Abigail was eating her corpse.[/quote]

Oh I know this!.. Baby Abigail was eating.. Oh I cannot tell you.. :eek:

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:43 am 

Anyone doubting King Diamond live nowadays listen to this.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:10 am 

Man, he fucking nailed "Omens" in that live video. I was curious to see how he'd pull off that scream, but damn :lol:. I guess I shouldn't watch too much of it and wait for the DVD...

Reply to topic