Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:27 pm 

This is a twist if ever I saw one. The band is led by Victor Wooten, one of the top bassists in jazz. He's primarily a slap/pop player but can do everything. He's teamed with guitarist Hovak Alaverdyan, who mostly does film scores, drummer Roman Lomtadze (works with European jazz artists) and keyboardists Steve Weingart (jazz/funk band Ring of Fire) and Ara Torosyan (producer). It's funny how much Alaverdyan and Torosyan look like Petrucci and Rudess. Judging by this clip it will go over well with the Periphery/highly technical crowd. Strange to see a long-time jazz man trying metal, though.

Youtube: show

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:44 am 

It's kind of hard to get a solid opinion from that short of a clip. There were some nice moments, and I wouldn't mind listening to it in full whenever the album leaks, but I don't imagine that this will be to my liking. That keyboard sound seems out of place, and I'm very picky when it comes to instrumental albums. Still, as you mentioned, it's quite interesting to see a legend in another genre try their hand at metal.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:25 pm 

I stood about 10 feet from Victor years ago at a Bela Fleck concert. The man is a beast of a bassist. 6-string fretted, four string fretless, the man could do anything. So I am real curious as to what brought him to this genre.

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:32 pm 

I'm a big fan of Victor Wooten. One of today's best bass players, easily. He focuses on a kind of slap technique that I've never been the biggest fan of, but he is an absolute master. He's also one of the coolest music dudes out there. This is pretty cool that he's doing something like this, it's not a surprise though. He's the kinda guy that loves to experiment. I'll be listening to what they do in the future, should be pretty neat.

Latest bass covers: Blind Guardian - Trial By the Archon/Wizard's Crown

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:09 am 

Full length song.

Youtube: show

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:20 am 

That was real bad. At least it's only 10 minutes long...

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:26 pm 

I liked it.

WillyB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:56 pm 

stick to jazz guys

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:30 pm 

This was interesting, but I think the drummer needs to get used to playing metal (during his rather obnoxious fills, you can absolutely hear he's not the kind of guy to frequently use the double bass, which is pretty common in metal). There are ways of being just as improvisational and technical without intruding in upon the guitars, you know.

Also a more organic or airy production and guitar sound would have definitely made this more listenable. The producer also needs to get used to this genre, it's not like jazz where you can do anything and still retain the instruments' nuances.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
"Walk" is the most brutally intense and insane thrash song of all time! Plus, if you play it on 2x speed, you unlock the hard mode version, which is called "Run".

Ку.

Rosenthorn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:24 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
This was interesting, but I think the drummer needs to get used to playing metal (during his rather obnoxious fills, you can absolutely hear he's not the kind of guy to frequently use the double bass, which is pretty common in metal). There are ways of being just as improvisational and technical without intruding in upon the guitars, you know.

Also a more organic or airy production and guitar sound would have definitely made this more listenable. The producer also needs to get used to this genre, it's not like jazz where you can do anything and still retain the instruments' nuances.

I liked the song, and agree with pretty much everything said above. I think it does a good job of having some memorable hooks while still maintaining a very technical, proggy feel.

Obey the dolphin!

Reply to topic