Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bangover
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:24 pm 

Has anyone seen the original/banned cover art for Dark Angel's Leave Scars? I Just found out that it exists but can't find a picture of it! Here were some discussion about it (now closed) but all the links and images are now dead. I found some tour t-shirts from t-shirtslayer that could give some clue of what the cover should look like:

http://tshirtslayer.com/files-tshirt/st ... k=gopH1xe6
http://tshirtslayer.com/files-tshirt/st ... k=W3GOZ8hN

Please help me find this one!

AndySlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:09 pm 

I'm glad most censored/replaced '80s/'90s covers got axed before they made it to print, mostly because they were cluttered and often plain ugly. Extreme Aggression is a prime example, a demon exploding out of a dude's head with a toothbrush in the center of the composition? I'll take the iconic band shot any day of the week, thanks. Same goes for Leave Scars - glad they kept the flowing colors theme for all 3 of their "real" albums, the original art is a bad mix of too busy and simply fugly.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:46 pm 

Yea, the "Metal Up Your Ass" cover would have been stupid too.

Dembo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:15 pm 

I'll take an artist's ugly or stupid will over censorship anyday, and so should anyone who respects artists. It's way uglier and especially stupid to be in favour of censorship of the above mentioned original cover art ideas than the ideas themselves are ugly or stupid. And a gigantic amount of artwork, merch, lyrics, etc. in metal and other genres would have to be censored by some random label guy if ugliness and stupidity become relevant.

Original cover art/artist's will any day of the week wins any day over censored or even re-issue's "new and improved" cover art.

AndySlayer wrote:
I'll take the iconic band shot any day of the week, thanks.

Don't you think it's because of the album's quality and legacy that the band photo used on it became iconic? They probably could have had anything on that cover and you would consider it iconic today thanks to what album it's on.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:12 am 

Looks like a good concept but a very poor, cartoon execution. I think the cover they used was excellent.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:15 am 

Personally, I prefer the one that was used.

"You make it easy."

AndySlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:14 am 

Quote:
Don't you think it's because of the album's quality and legacy that the band photo used on it became iconic?

Of course I do, and that's exactly my point. The music is king, and I don't think I've seen a single pre-censorship cover where I've said "pity, this seems to have been thought through and would've helped the album age better". It'd be very, very hard to argue Dark Angel were all about ripping up corpses on "Leave Scars" and "Time...". The current cover of "Leave Scars", however, is very evocative of the lyrical content.

Bangover
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:38 am 

So most of you have seen the original art or are you just referring to those t-shirt designs? I'd like to see the original artwork no matter how "stupid" it is. I personally like these t-shirt designs.

FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:55 am 

Dembo wrote:
I'll take an artist's ugly or stupid will over censorship anyday, and so should anyone who respects artists. It's way uglier and especially stupid to be in favour of censorship of the above mentioned original cover art ideas than the ideas themselves are ugly or stupid.

I don't think anybody is pro-censorship. I think they're just remarking that the "censored" version ended up as a better concept and execution. I much prefer Kill 'Em All. Metal Up Your Ass, while funny, would've made a dumb cover. Leave Scars, with a different style of artwork, could've been awesome. I doubt at this point that there was actual artwork produced for it. It seems like a cartoony proof-of-concept that was rejected.
ha ha, lol

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:02 pm 

I think the second picture in the OP would've been pretty good for the cover art as well. The first one has a little too much going on and like someone said, it's a bit cartoon-y.

And yeah some original cover arts, regardless of how explicit they are, sometimes are just a bit too messy. I like the original cover for Pleasures of the Flesh, but the way the band members are drawn looks a bit weird to me.

Reply to topic