Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:40 am 

Macabre Omen fanpage wrote:
FINALLY!! Ten years after the opus ''The Ancient Returns'' the cover of the new Macabre Omen album entitled ''Gods of War - At War'' is revealed and it will be released through Ván Records ! Last details of the layout are in process and we hope to have the CD of this black metal masterpiece ready in February, - wax will follow a bit later!

https://www.facebook.com/50813577590038 ... 31/?type=1

(the last part is quoted from Ván Records' Facebook)
https://www.facebook.com/vanrecs/photos ... 71/?type=1

This seems to be the first release of the band in 8 years. The Ancient Returns was fantastic, so I'm pretty stoked.

Edit:
Whole album on Bandcamp: http://macabreomen.bandcamp.com/
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Last edited by inhumanist on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:51 pm 

Fuck yeah, I dig the hell out of The Ancient Returns. First class epic black metal for sure. Band deserves to be more well-known, hopefully this album is good and will help them get some recognition.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:36 pm 

I take it as a good... uhm... omen that they're releasing it on Ván. It's a good label with loads of quality black metal releases and very few bad ones. I feel like they wouldn't put out an album from an obscure Greek band that hasn't released anything in 8 years if they weren't confident about the result.
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:04 am 

This is good to hear, the debut was a solid album that I enjoyed so will keep an eye on this one. Thanks for the heads up!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:36 am 

Title track stream: https://soundcloud.com/v-n-records/maca ... war-at-war

Not blown away yet (songwriting seems a bit chaotic?), but I nevertheless like what I hear. A whole album of this quality could be killer with enough conceptual coherence between the songs.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:15 pm 

I get that it was chaotic, perhaps, because it can actually be dissected and presented as maybe 3-4 different songs. It has quite a few ideas compressed into one track. If this is the best track that the band has released first, then I have an apprehension that the rest of the songs might lack in good songwriting. Anywho, that's just the pessimist in me talking. I really enjoyed this track. I'm gonna look out for this one. Thanks for the heads up, inhumanoid.

MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:04 pm 

First time hearing this band and shit is fucking kills. I was really apprehensive at first because of the trendy, dissonant/creepy opening riff, but then it just comes out of left field. I really like the huge range of influences they managed to incorporate into one coherent sound. It's all over the place, but it's coherent.

Another track is streaming: https://soundcloud.com/v-n-records/maca ... ght#t=0:00

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:03 pm 

Sweet, their first album was a good one. Didn't realize they'd had such a long hiatus, but it's good to know I haven't missed anything in that time :)

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:42 am 

http://macabreomen.bandcamp.com/

Whole thing on Bandcamp, yo.

Holy fuck, not only is that an awesome opener, it also perfectly sets up the title track.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:21 am 

They have not lost any of their epic power that is for sure. An awesome album which to me sounds like a continuation of disc 2 from Spectral Lore's III album ha! Which is not a bad complaint. Highly recommended.

MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:26 pm 

I've had the album for a week or so and yeah it's fucking sick. On the first listen I thought it was cool but really jumbled in parts, and a bit uneven in flow, but after spending more time with it things just fall into place. Probably the best release so far this year.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:39 am 

Up there with Ereb Altor and Primordial for carrying Quorthon's torch after hearing the opener. That debut was epic as anything, this is just as good.

"Doom is the blues of metal, you either feel it or you don't."
-Doomsday

LowlightOracle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:53 am 

Got this last week - package is typical high Van standards, and the music is even better. Great album and probably best so far this year in BM that I have heard.

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:16 am 

Heard the album this week, it's fantastic. As good as the classic Varathron stuff! There's no better "epic pagan black metal" bands right now. Top 5 of 2015 that's for sure.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd (doom/death)

joncheetham88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:33 pm 

Listened to most of it via bandcamp over the last couple of days and finally got round to buying it today. Epic, exciting music, fucking well written. Going to be one I return to often I think - perfect for reading long books on my commute!

http://baileysmmcreamy.blogspot.com

Reply to topic