Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fourrobert13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:31 am 

Quote:
Tom Angelripper is proud and excited to announce the release of the new Sodom album Decision Day for August 26th 2016. Together with his two comrades-in-arms, guitarist Bernemann and drummer Markus “Makka” Freiwald, Angelripper spent four months at the studio honing the new Sodom material. The result is a hard-as-nails, diverse thrash metal offering on the subject of D-Day, the day in June 1944 when the troops of the Western Allied forces landed in Normandy to liberate mainland Europe from the scourge of Nazi Germany. Songs such as ´Belligerence`, ´Decision Day` and ´Strange Lost World` present the Sodom frontman once more as a historically well-versed contemporary witness and critical observer of current international events. Decision Day was produced by Cornelius ´Corny` Rambadt, sound engineer and drummer with Angelripper’s side project Onkel Tom. The new release is bound to cause a stir, not least thanks to its impressive artwork courtesy of none other than Joe Petagno. As well as having worked for Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, Petagno is also Motörhead’s favoured graphic designer and has created legendary album covers such as Overkill, Bomber, Orgasmatron and Another Perfect Day. Angelripper: “I was surprised and proud to learn how familiar Joe is with Sodom, immediately bringing up associations of our ´Knarrenheinz` when we talked about the artwork. For a Motörhead fan like myself, this cover is an absolute dream come true.” Petagno: “After having spoken with Tom about the current state of world affairs and heard some brilliant tracks from the album I wanted to visualize the History of Man from the dawn of creation to the mess we have today. Firstly and rather obviously it’s World War 3. However on psychological and symbolic level it’s considerably more. I used Knarrenheinz as a symbol for the countless numbers who have soldiered on thru’ the centuries in one guise or another just to get us here anno 2016 where we seem to be on the brink of another possible eruption.”

Spoiler: show

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:49 am 

That cover has some Infernal Overkill vibes. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but it definitely looks like a Sodom cover, at least.

This also reminds me that I haven't given their last one a listen, in addition to greatly skimping on listens of the past few. Guess I'll have to fix that.

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:19 am 

I've been getting into this band a lot lately! Everything I've heard from their newer material has been great! I think I might look into this! That cover is totally badass too.
Quoting your own profile, "How about a nice cup of Shut The Fuck Up?"

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:10 am 

That cover looks stupid as shit.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:21 am 

Holy fuck!!! I'll try not to act like a fanboy, but I'm really excited for this. :hyper: In War And Pieces was an awesome straight forward thrash album, and Epitome Of Torture was good, but not amazing. These guys can put out an album of Angelripper having diarrhea and I'd call it a masterpiece. :lol: I'd say M-16 is the best of their post-1999 albums.

I can't say the artwork excites me very much though. It looks very similar to Another Perfect Day, but the colors remind me of Masquerade In Blood. The font for Decision Day looks a bit shitty, and Knarrenheinz is pretty much non-existent. I have other issues with it, but I'm sure the music will be top notch, so fuck the cover.

rexxz, to Deathwish77 wrote:
If I gave you a penny for your thoughts, I'd get change.

fourrobert13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:33 am 

I'm excited. The cover art showed up in my news feed on facebook. I too was reminded of Motorhead due to the colors.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:18 pm 

Are his hands made of bullets? Are the bullets going down his arm? Are the bullets attached to the snake skeleton? Why is the trigger in front of the clip? Why is the scope blocked by the rest of the gun, rendering it useless? Is the missile on the right bleeding and/or somehow attached to his face? Why the hell did the artist sign in the middle of the freaking art?

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:25 pm 

critical observer of current international events. :roll:

Sepulchrave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:00 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Are his hands made of bullets? Are the bullets going down his arm?

I'm pretty sure they're attached to his shoulder as part of a bullet belt or something. But yeah everything else is dumb and confusing.

Ку.

fourrobert13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:14 pm 

Those aren't bullets, they're grenades for the grenade launcher which is what the trigger is for in front of the magazine. As for the optics on the rifle, that is an eotech sight out on the forend, but I'm not sure what the rest of that is supposed to be. Maybe night vision optic? I do find that the album art confusing considering the music is supposed to be about D-Day, yet that's all modern military weaponry and so forth...just saying.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:34 pm 

Maybe there's some theme of "nothing changes" or something trying to draw parallels between WW2 and current day? That's the only thing that would make sense to me. That or they had the cover already before deciding on the lyrical theme.

fourrobert13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:37 pm 

theposega wrote:
Maybe there's some theme of "nothing changes" or something trying to draw parallels between WW2 and current day? That's the only thing that would make sense to me. That or they had the cover already before deciding on the lyrical theme.

The guy is a war nut, so who knows.

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:48 pm 

The cover should feature an M1 Garand (Thumbcutter) or Carbine. A Thompson or Browning would work as well. I'm very disappointed and it's a fugly cover anyway.

TimeDoesNotHeal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:19 pm 

Anyone else think that the obviously computer-generated logo looks way out of place against the painted artwork?

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:39 pm 

Yeah, the logo does contrast pretty badly with the art (which also isn't perfect either).

I like what they did with In War and Pieces the way the band logo was painted onto the tank in the background. Still one of my favorite latter day Sodom album covers.

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 pm 

If not for the logo, I wouldve mistaken it for a Slayer shirt.

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:48 pm 

As long as they tour.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:54 pm 

In War And Pieces does have the best cover out of every album from the 2000's. But, even the ones before it had cool covers. Then they made an ugly brown cover for Epitome Of Torture and now this new one looks even shittier. Maybe if they used the matte grey logo on Persecution Mania and Agent Orange, it would make a small difference. But, even that couldn't save it from its shittiness.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:52 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Why is the trigger in front of the clip?

You mean magazine, and it could be for an underslung attachment like a grenade launcher, but yeah I have no idea what they were thinking going for this album cover. Why does he have a crown of thorns? Almost everything about this bothers me.

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:57 pm 

I wondered why the cover art reminded me slightly of Another Perfect Day. I'm looking forward to this, seeing as Sodom have done no wrong up to this point.

stainedclass2112, on Delain wrote:
...that voice is like Satan's anus breathing. Those symphonic elements are like the tides of the eschaton raping the masses.

Cryptic Writings.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:24 am 

The cover rules. Sodom can't do much wrong here. Epitome of Torture holds up really well after this time and I'm positive Decision Day will be more of the same. Sodom are so good. Bring it on.

SculptedCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:03 am 

Petagno sucks. You'd think an artist would get better over time but that cover is even worse than his usual fare. Has the same composition and similar motifs (launching missiles, crappy snakes) as his other stuff, but even messier and more poorly drawn. No perspectives or depth; only profiles and full frontals. Random image collaging with nonsense transitions. Blech.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:38 am 

The art (?) is shitty as hell. And WTF is that signature on the center? Is "J. Petagno" the title of the album? I'm a bit confused...

"You make it easy."

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:04 pm 

Right, the colors are too muted and the lines too fuzzy to fit with the ultra-crisp logo and title. Also, the GI Jesus imagery is a bit played out. Why not do something more original like Osama Bin Laden on the cross?

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:13 pm 

All of this talk over the artwork, understandably so, but I'm more than content they could be continuing on the trail of "Sacred Warpath," a killer song that was more rough and raw than the band's been in decades. I'm not expecting a modern standout gem, but I'm open to the possibility this will be closer to classic Sodom than we've heard in a very long time. Considering their consistency, that's quite a goal to reach for.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:23 pm 

No samples of the music yet. As Running Wild have taught us, you can be at the peak of your power and then sputter for no reason; and as Celtic Frost have taught us, it's never too late to stop sucking. This album could be good or terrible. Their consistency implies that it will be like the last album at slightly lower wattage, but that's only a probable eventuality, not a certain one.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:38 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
The art (?) is shitty as hell. And WTF is that signature on the center? Is "J. Petagno" the title of the album? I'm a bit confused...

That's the artist...he's done tons of Motörhead's classic artwork.

He may not be all that great at other things besides Motörhead albums, but you damn well better respect the man's name based on that alone, goddamn it.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:36 pm 

Thing is though it's in the center of the album clearly shown. Signatures are fine but better to obscure it rather than have it sticking out right on the cover.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:00 am 

I won't disagree that it is quite bright compared to the rest of the artwork. It could stand to be a few shades darker, even if it stayed in the exact spot that it's in.

vk66
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:07 am 

BastardHead wrote:
That cover looks stupid as shit.

+1, honestly I'm not hoping for much.

fourrobert13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:50 am 

The cover is crap, but I could care less about it because I just want to hear some new Sodom. I don't have to sit and stare at it while I listen so it really doesn't matter to me. Add it to the bad cover art thread.

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:02 pm 

Epitome was really boring. I really don't think they've put out a really good album since Tapping. Even the highly praised M-16 was sort of blah.

Fromage_Qui_Pue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:01 pm 

Cover isn't bad, but waiting for tracks.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:26 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
All of this talk over the artwork, understandably so, but I'm more than content they could be continuing on the trail of "Sacred Warpath," a killer song that was more rough and raw than the band's been in decades. I'm not expecting a modern standout gem, but I'm open to the possibility this will be closer to classic Sodom than we've heard in a very long time. Considering their consistency, that's quite a goal to reach for.

Yeah, I would be happy if they made more songs like "Sacred Warpath", although I don't think they're any different from the songs on the previous albums.

ksevile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:05 am 

While I'm generally reserved at passing any judgement whatsoever on the cover artwork of an album at all ever (or its perceived anticipated worth or expected value, at least), and I don't share any particularly pessimistic bent or true lamentation concerning it, I would still have to submit that the artwork is in fact truly atrocious.

What it is is not so much the aforementioned above (for instance, the location of the artist's signature) reasons but rather the facial expressivity and the way the model's eye looks, and that about does it, although I have to confess an album from a prolific band has yet to be truly ruined from mere artistic blunder, but stranger things have happened. There is a strong (not unexpected by any stretch of the imagination) phantasmagoric element at work here that I truly loathe for a reason I cannot quite pin down (after all, this is thrash metal, which has a particularly settled--at times, seemingly unanimous--niche for said approach), because usually it works quite well. Probably cause it's Sodom...

No cover art could piss me off quite like Havok's Time is Up though.

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:26 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Are his hands made of bullets? Are the bullets going down his arm? Are the bullets attached to the snake skeleton? Why is the trigger in front of the clip? Why is the scope blocked by the rest of the gun, rendering it useless? Is the missile on the right bleeding and/or somehow attached to his face? Why the hell did the artist sign in the middle of the freaking art?

the trigger is for a GLA and that is where it should be. those arent bullets they are probably 40mm grenades for said GLA slung over the shoulder. That is probably an attempt at painting a magnifier sitting in front of a red dot sight. it failed.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:57 am 

For the people saying Petango's a bad artist:

Spoiler: show

But that said, this cover does look pretty silly. It's still nowhere near the mess that was the most recent Krisiun cover he did, though. I mean, what the fuck is that??? I've stared at it for hours ever since it came out, I still can't even begin to make out what it's supposed to be.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:09 am 

A tower of twisted goat parts? But the perspective of completely off...

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:43 am 

Ah man can't wait for this. Sodom is one of the best veteran thrash bands around these days. I kind of skipped Epitome of Torture (I need to give it a spin or two soon) but In War and Pieces, Sodom, M-16 and Code Red are all great albums. And compared to other re-recordings The Final Sign of Evil is actually not bad.

The cover art is ugly but in a good cheesy 80's kind of vibe. I dig!

FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:29 am 

Something about the lack of depth and contrast in that cover suggests somebody found it printed on a piece of paper and did a bad job of scanning it in. Then they just slapped the logo and title on it. It also feels "zoomed in". There's no space around all the shit that's happening on the actual cover, so it feels crowded without a lot going on.
ha ha, lol

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next