Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:45 am 

With all the 20-30 year anniversary threads popping up for albums, I figured I'd hit a couple of them at once since a lot of these albums have nebulous release dates. 1996 is one of my favorite years for metal ever, but black metal in particular has had some really awesome releases this year. And I'd like for us to talk about them. They're all 20 years old this year.

Burzum - Filosofem
Probably the biggest and most important one released this year. That great sounding guitar tone and ultra minimalist song structure that gets attributed to a fair bit of black metal is just epitomized here. The vacuous atmosphere permeates the album from beginning to end, and I'm waiting for a night where I can just take a stroll in the open field listening to this under the light of the moon.

Borknagar - Borknagar
Awesome collaborative effort by Oystein Brun and a team of black metal veterans to create one of the more unique sounding bands to come out of Norway. Pagan atmosphere, powerful riffing, great vocals courtesy of Garm, and one of Grim's best performances in his very short career. This deserves to be lined up to the other Norwegian giants.

Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symphonia
An even more unique sounding project while it still retained its black metal overtones. Garm shines here once again, but the tone this time is more mellow. It's an awesome album that really showcases black metal's majestic side.

Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age
Outside of Norway, the latter half of the 90s saw the rise of some really great black metal bands in other parts of the world. Blut aus Nord is one of them. You know them, you love them; and this year saw the release of one of their biggest albums. MVI is an epic atmospheric black metal opus. It pulls off a tone that's cold and yet heroic at the same time as it recounts its epic tale, and it firmly cements itself as one of the very best in the genre.

There's other albums from the likes of Judas Iscariot, Lunar Aurora, Gorgoroth, Satyricon, Vinterland, Dark Funeral, Samael, and more released in '96, but I'll leave that to you guys to bring up. There's plenty more that came out from cult classics to almost unheard of gems.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:10 am 

I will add two other Norwegian classics

Kvist - For kunsten maa vi evig vike
For me this is the seminal mixture of the second wave sound and gorgeous melodies. Often forgotten, but it really stands on it's own. It's a shame that that would be the end of Kvist, but what a statement it is. I guess you don't need much more for your band's legacy if that's your only album.

Forgotten Woods - The Curse of Mankind
Definitely my personal favorite from the band. Cold, bleak and in a lot of ways, pretty ahead of it's time.

Yes, 1996 was a great year for black metal.

Last edited by ThePoop on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:15 am 

Wilytank wrote:
With all the 20-30 year anniversary threads popping up for albums, I figured I'd hit a couple of them at once since a lot of these albums have nebulous release dates. 1996 is one of my favorite years for metal ever, but black metal in particular has had some really awesome releases this year. And I'd like for us to talk about them. They're all 20 years old this year.

Burzum - Filosofem
The vacuous atmosphere permeates the album from beginning to end, and I'm waiting for a night where I can just take a stroll in the open field listening to this under the light of the moon.

that word, I don't think it means what you think it means:

Vacuous:

adjective

lacking in ideas or intelligence:
a vacuous mind.

expressing or characterized by a lack of ideas or intelligence; inane; stupid:
a vacuous book.

purposeless; idle:
a vacuous way of life.

"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:27 am 

Seems like apart from the ones Wily already mentioned, all the releases I'm looking up missed '96 by a year in either direction. :( Two that did fall in '96, however:

- The inauguration of Vindsval's side project The Eye with the stellar Normanniska demo. A concise but highly developed EP with intense and eerie power. Interesting and mesmerizing use of synths and a strong mixture of tempos. The aura of this project is pretty haunting and has always struck me as very memorable.

- Rotting Christ's Triarchy of the Lost Lovers. Some of the material on this album barely even feels like black metal (a lot of the classic Greek material has its own vibe for me, set slightly apart from the BM category) but it's close enough. A rich, emotional and unique work from RC's best era.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:53 am 

Man what a year, I can imagine myself spending lots of money to buy all those masterpieces. :D

My choices:

Vinterland-Welcome My Last Chapter

Melodic Swedish black metal at its best!. Its dark, its haunting yet tremendously melodic.

Sacramentum-Far Away From the Sun

Bethlehem-Dictius te necare

Cradle of Filth-Dusk... and Her Embrace

AMSG403
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:22 am 

I got a few worth mentioning.

Aura Noir - Black Thrash Attack.

- A prime example of Black(end) Thrash, a vicious sonic assault and it has a lot of their signature tunes like Sons of Hades, Black Thrash Attack and Fighting For Hell.

Judas Iscariot - The Cold Earth Slept Below

- One of the top 5 best USBM releases of all time, the title track is haunting and the album itself exudes an aura of misery while still being hard hitting. Akhenaten's best material IMO.

Sacramentary Abolishment - River of Corticone

- One of my favorite acts out of the Great White North, their mix of Black and Death metal is fantastic and this is a masterpiece of Canadian hatred!

Ulver - Nattens Madrigal

- My favourite Ulver album, and a concept album about the Wolf in man. A very powerful record for anyone sees the weight of the subject.

Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry

- Say what you will about Politics, it doesn't mean shit to me. This demo is one of my favourite examples of 90's Black Folk, these Ukrainians can really do business and prove it here before they unleashed Goat Horns in '97. Also, it's got The Grief of Oriana, and that song is pretty fucking awesome in my books.

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:59 am 

Lots of great albums from the year 1996 mentioned already, but here's some more:

Dødheimsgard - Monumental Possession
A perfect combination of black thrash madness combined with the more usual Norwegian black metal sound. The utilizing of three different vocalists in different songs gives the album some good variation and memorable riffs makes the album a classic. For obvious reasons (Apollyon) there's also similarities with Aura Noir's "Black Thrash Attack".

Zemial - For the Glory of UR
An excellent release of Hellenic black metal with a great atmosphere. Unique vocal delivery from Vorskaath, using keyboards in the right parts to support the atmosphere and interesting riffs.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:18 am 

Besides those mentioned already are:

Limbonic Art - Moon in the Scorpio

One of my favorite symphonic black metal albums. The majesty is beyond the norms of the genre overall.

Bal-Sagoth - Starfire Burning upon the Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule

A truly unique album, even among Bal-Sagoth's excellent discography. This album has a particular atmosphere to it that is unmatched in many arenas.

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:22 am 

1996 ruled hard, not just with amazing black metal (MVI clearly taking the cake for me there), I mean there was also stuff like None So Vile, the only album from Scald, Swans' Soundtracks for the Blind... and many more.

For black metal, I guess you could add these to the list:

Diabolical Masquerade - Ravendusk In My Heart (not in any way groundbreaking like most of the stuff mentioned here, but still part of what I would consider a flawless discography)

Mysticum - In The Streams Of Inferno (not a favorite of mine, but it's hard to argue with its relevance for industrial BM)

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:28 am 

Kampfar's selftitled EP came out in 96, which is an incredible and unique black/viking work. Dolk had/has one of the best combination of cleans and grim vocals ever.

Falkenbach's mighty en their medh riki fara is another excellent album, a total classic. In my book, Falkenbach was even more influential for the Moonsorrows of the world than Bathory. Impossibly epic, it felt at the time like the LOTR soundtrack.

Empyrium's A Wintersunset is another unique album. It's the best combination of black, doom and folk ever conceived, formula that they perfected on the next album 'Songs of Moors and Misty Fields'.

Ancient Wisdom's For Snow Covered the Northland is another gem from 96'. It's a very calm, atmospheric album that carries a real beauty. Vargher did a great job with this project overall but this album is seriously great.

Mystifier - The World Is So Good That Who Made It Doesn't Live Here is great as well. I like how Brazilians were kinda connected musically to the Greek scene in delivering a similar occult and ancient atmosphere. This album truly delivers a sinister and blasphemous aura, which I would even compare a bit stylistically to Mortuary Drape.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:05 am 

How could anyone forget about Nemesis Divina? Sure, Satyricon's career has been more or less mediocre, but that album alone is so great it can compete for the title of greatest black metal album of all time. It's a shame it didn't come out earlier, because it would have opened up so many doors for future bands, but Emperor came before and started the whole "epic" black metal thing.

Last edited by Master_Of_Thrash on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:05 am 

Woo! Triarchy reference. good on ya.

Judas Iscariot's superb morbid debut - The Cold Earth Below made it's mark on mankind. A moody, meandering weird beast with amateurish performance but a fiery heart.

ambient
drone
noise for your girlfriend
last.fm

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:53 am 

So far I agree with Filosofem, The Curse of Mankind, In the Streams of Inferno and Kampfar.

Also: Folkloric Necro Metal (!!!!!!!!), Forest Poetry and Strength & Anger (obvious classics), Total Death (still one of the best to those who get it), Weltengänger (Lunar Aurora debut, back when they were good), Opus IV (one underrated as fuck motherfucker), The Rebirth of the Middle Ages, I'm sure a whole bunch more I'm forgetting.

Also, the previously mentioned Nattens Madrigal was released in 1997. Ulver did however release their best album in 1996.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:54 am 

Judas Iscariot's Thy Dying Light also came out in '96. What it lacks in musicianship it more than makes up for with passion.

Moonblood's Blut und Krieg. A total epic slab of riffs. Not my favorite thing by them, but a classic all the same.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am 

Norwegian black metal 1994 - 1997 is the time when the bands could do no wrong. 91-93 was important, but 94-97 is just a gold mine of classic black metal.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:40 pm 

Tons and tons of great stuff already mentioned! Let's not forget:

Blood on Ice - Maybe not the most talked-about Bathory album ever, but a really good one nonetheless.

Antichrist - Right smack in the middle of Gorgoroth's golden years. Wonderful album start to finish.

Dol Guldur - Maybe Minas Morgul is where Summoning found there sound, but this album is where they perfected it.

Also worth mentioning: Total Death AND Goatloard, Behemoth's Grom.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:46 pm 

I guess I'll add another good one: Dimmu Borgir's "Stormblast".

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:27 pm 

@batman Blood on Ice isn't black metal ;) And Dol Guldur came out in '97 according to MA. :( I looked that shit up last night and it depressed the fuck out of me.

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
How could anyone forget about Nemesis Divina? Sure, Satyricon's career has been more or less mediocre, but that album alone is so great it can compete for the title of greatest black metal album of all time.

Tried to listen to this again a few days ago but could only make it about three songs in before turning it off.

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:37 pm 

I checked the Summoning page for that album as well, same with Ulver. Enslaved, Helheim, Hades, Graveland and Zyklon-B are more bands that evaded this thread by a small margin. Really, though, 1996 really just goes in the book for me for Burzum, Ildjarn/Sort Vokter, Forgotten Woods and Mysticum, those are albums that helped redefine black metal (of the Norwegian variety, at least) for me.

By the way, Facta Loquuntur was released in 1996, for better or worse. :D

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:38 pm 

Huh, I could've sworn Dol Guldur was '96. It was recorded then, anyway!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:42 pm 

ThePoop wrote:

Kvist - For kunsten maa vi evig vike

It's been a while since I heard that one. When I looked up my old RateYourMusic catalog for albums from this year, Kvist came up with a favorable rating from me. Definitely going to go back to it now since I've pretty much forgotten what it sounded like.

Others have brought up The Cold Earth slept below. That album grew on me a lot recently to the point where I purchased the CD. It's loaded with Under a Funeral Moon riffs, but the tone it generates makes it sound more nihilistic rather than outright evil which really shows on the slower parts of the album including the title track and "Nietzsche".

Another one I'll bring up is Sear Bliss with Phantoms. Another European rarity that ends up being really amazing. Sear Bliss are actually going to be playing this album from beginning to end at select shows. I just want to see how they pull off "Aeons of Desolation". That song is massive.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:11 pm 

Never been able to get into that Kvist album for whatever reason. I just revisited it the other day, and while it was interesting (some stuff on there sounds like it might've influenced Obtained Enslavement's Witchcraft) it rarely all comes together for me.

Vinterland's Welcome My Last Chapter is another one I spun again in the recent past. Starts off really strong but after you get into the second half a lot of the riff writing starts to sound the same. :( Kind of a shame because it's quite a solid album overall.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:21 pm 

Abigor's Opus IV may be overshadowed a bit in their discography, but it's still a super fucking sick album.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:44 am 

theposega wrote:
Abigor's Opus IV may be overshadowed a bit in their discography, but it's still a super fucking sick album.

Amen to that.
Also, no mention of Graveland's Celtic Winter? Come on!

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:43 am 

I guess with the release of only their second album ever just yesterday, Sacrilegium's debut "Wicher" from 20 years ago should be mentioned here as well. Lacking the popularity of their fellow countrymen from Graveland, Sacrilegium still managed to put out one of the finest pieces of pagan black metal to come from Poland with this one.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:51 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
theposega wrote:

Amen to that.

As I already posted, Graveland is one of the bands I checked on the site for release dates. The Celtic Winter is from 1994.

shwartzheim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:49 am 

Only two i can think of that haven't already been listed are:

Setherial - Nord. An all-time favourite of mine and the only worthwhile thing they ever did
Old Mans Child - Born Of The Flickering. Quite a unique album and easily one of Galder's best efforts

Was going to mention Necromantia's almighty Sacrlet Evil, but apparently it came out in 95'. Oh well.

Subterranean
http://www.reverbnation.com/subterraneanaust
http://www.soundcloud.com/subterraneanaust

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:01 am 

Come on it wasn't that good. Oh wait, Stormblast came out in 1996. Best year ever!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:10 am 

Unity wrote:
I guess I'll add another good one: Dimmu Borgir's "Stormblast".

Spoiler: show

Last.fm

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:31 am 

It this was a thread about 1997, then Dimmu could have been mentioned perhaps.

Foulchrist wrote:
Why would you expect to meet basement black metal fans in real life? Do you break and enter houses looking for people to discuss Moonblood with?

Cryptic Writings.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:37 am 

Profanum - Flowers of Our Black Misanthropy.

Gorgoroth - Antichrist

Old Man's Child - Born of the Flickering

Sacrilegium - Wicher

Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vestusta I - Fathers of the Icy Age

Limbonic Art - Moon in the Scorpio

Bethlehem - Dictius Te Necare

Sepulchrave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:41 am 

No mention of Samael's Passage? I mean I guess it's not pure black metal but still, it's when they were just about to leave the style. A very tasteful mix of symphonic keyboards and simple but epic riffing.

There's also Countess' The Book of the Heretic which is a great slab of Bathory-inspired black metal.

Worth mentioning also is Ancient Rites' Blasfemia Eternal. Not quite as well loved as their debut, judging by the album reviews here but for me it's quite a gem

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:56 am 

I guess I'll be the one to list the un-cool poser bands:

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane (Perhaps more black/death, but no mention of the year 1996 and black metal can go without a mention also of this ground breaking masterpiece....I am actually quite shocked that I am the first to mention this!)

Ancient - The Cainian Chronicle (Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know how everybody feels about Ancient, and it's a reputation they no doubt deserve for the hilarious music videos, and the next albums that followed this one. But this album is really great, start to finish. A great album.)

Releases that escaped by a small margin (but I'll mention them anyway because fuck it):
Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil (came out in 1995 but is a melodic black/death masterpiece)
Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft (came out in 1997 but recorded in 1996...one of my personal favorite ever black metal albums, and perhaps the best thing ever released on the gothic/symphonic side of black metal)

Under_Starmere wrote:
Tried to listen to this again a few days ago but could only make it about three songs in before turning it off.

"The Shadowthrone" is much better! Though I do like "Nemesis Divinia" as well. I never really understood the hatred that so many black metal fans feel towards Satyricon...but then again, I like Ancient, maybe it's just me and I have really terrible taste. :lol:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:57 am 

Can we change the thread title to "New Metal Game: Blurt Out an Album Title and then Check to See If It Came Out in 1996"?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:09 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Can we change the thread title to "New Metal Game: Blurt Out an Album Title and then Check to See If It Came Out in 1996"?

Yeah, c'mon people. Please check the year before posting here please.

true_death wrote:

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane (Perhaps more black/death, but no mention of the year 1996 and black metal can go without a mention also of this ground breaking masterpiece

Nothing's more 1996 than 1995, eh?

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:00 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

Bro, do you even black metal?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:17 pm 

What does Satyricon have to do with black metal?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:47 pm 

true_death wrote:
I never really understood the hatred that so many black metal fans feel towards Satyricon...

Neither do I. What the hell did they do to be so hated?

HeavenDuff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:44 pm 

AMSG403 wrote:
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal

- My favourite Ulver album, and a concept album about the Wolf in man. A very powerful record for anyone sees the weight of the subject.

That's 97. The album they released in 96 is Kveldssanger. Not exactly a black album if you ask me ;)

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
How could anyone forget about Nemesis Divina? Sure, Satyricon's career has been more or less mediocre, but that album alone is so great it can compete for the title of greatest black metal album of all time. It's a shame it didn't come out earlier, because it would have opened up so many doors for future bands, but Emperor came before and started the whole "epic" black metal thing.

It was mentioned in the first post, at the end. But yes, good album. I like their Dark Medieval Times better, but whatever :P

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:08 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Amen to that.

As I already posted, Graveland is one of the bands I checked on the site for release dates. The Celtic Winter is from 1994.

Well fuck me

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next