Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:54 pm 

"Out June 8th, 2015:

MIDNIGHT ODYSSEY - Shards Of Silver Fade (2xCD/Digital)

If Midnight Odyssey's 2011 masterpiece, "Funerals From The Astral Sphere" has become a cult release and is today cherished as one of the finest examples of atmospheric black metal, "Shards Of Silver Fade" is certainly going to break new grounds and to impose the Australian act on a wider audience, independently from metal sub-genres and styles. The funeral doom grandeur of Tempestuous Fall and the dark-wave vibe of The Crevices Below - sole member Dis Pater's past projects - have been successfully injected into Midnight Odyssey's cosmic black metal body, redoubling the emotional intensity and dark majesty of its melodies. The result is nothing short of an epic masterpiece, a visionary night voyage of over 140 minutes connecting our ancient pagan past with the apocalyptic feelings of a cosmic death.
But as much as death chants, these are also songs of rebirth, hymns to a new life and awareness for Humanity, under brighter stellar lights. "It is exactly like finding a place in the universe, being given a spiritual connection with everything around you, making you feel alive and very much part of the existence around you," Dis Pater explains. "But making you feel somewhat important too, and not just another speck of dust."

The Australian musician thinks of "Shards Of Silver Fade" as the crowning achievement of Midnight Odyssey's brilliant career. "I can say that each song has taken an immense amount of time and energy, so much that I have been left with little to no desire to even listen to music over the last 12 months or so. It combines elements of all my previous releases, from all my previous projects, a true convergence of styles and musicality. If this was the last Midnight Odyssey release, I would be very proud for it to be so."

Cover painting by Dis Pater. Art direction and layout by Francesco Gemelli.

"Shards Of Silver Fade" will be available first as a Double CD with a luxurious 28-page full color booklet, and later as a vinyl box-set to be released in co-production with the Swedish record label Nordvis!
Tracklist:
Disc 1
1. From A Frozen Wasteland (21:54)
2. Hunter Of The Celestial Sea (14:20)
3. Son Of Phoebus (18:03)
4. A Ghost In Gleaming Stars (13:59)
Disc 2
5. Asleep Is The Fire (20:26)
6. Starlight Oblivion (18:06)
7. Darker Skies Once Radiant (15:21)
8. Shards Of Silver Fade (20:29)

New preview song coming..."

Excellent! I only discovered Midnight Odyssey last year, but Funerals from the Astral Sphere has been making its way into my CD player quite frequently. I'm pretty excited about this release, because each of his releases have been an improvement upon the last. It's so easy to just get wrapped up in the massive cosmic atmosphere of the debut album, and I'm sure this will be even better.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:50 pm 

Do want! Ever since I've gotten my hands on Converge Rivers of Hell, I've been vigorously going through Dis Pater's music. And he's incorporating elements of his defunct projects? That should be interesting.

I hit play, and was overcome with the urge to be physically inactive! Great music!

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:29 pm 

I'm pretty interested in getting this. I have Firmament somewhere, but failed to get Funerals from the Astral Sphere upon its release and now can't find it for a reasonable price... Another great album cover on this new one too, IMO!

babysgottalocomotive
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:57 am 

Look at those tracks! What a beast. On LP this will be a quadruple album.

That's a LOT of bud to get through before the last tune ends.

MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:03 am 

babysgottalocomotive wrote:
Look at those tracks! What a beast. On LP this will be a quadruple album.

That's a LOT of bud to get through before the last tune ends.

Funerals from the Astral Sphere is also due on vinyl later this year, that's going to be a monster too!

The_Minstrel51 wrote:
I'm pretty interested in getting this. I have Firmament somewhere, but failed to get Funerals from the Astral Sphere upon its release and now can't find it for a reasonable price... Another great album cover on this new one too, IMO!

You can still get Funerals from I, Voidhanger's website! They have a pretty nice 5 for 4 deal going on as well.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:32 am 

Holy sh*t, a double album!! It would be better to release it in two different albums but I respect the band´s choice to release such an epic and long work in a double cd format.

Denn_Nichts
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:00 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Holy sh*t, a double album!! It would be better to release it in two different albums but I respect the band´s choice to release such an epic and long work in a double cd format.

I disagree. I'm glad it will be released as one instead of separated, as doing so would effect the concepts. "Funerals" was a double album too and it's perfect.

forestcorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:56 am 

Amazing, the artwork is super.
The vinyl box will be massively epic, can't wait...!

Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:48 am 

FftAS is amazing. I am hyped as fuck for this!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:58 am 

Am I the only one who doesn't like that artwork? That looks really amateur and childish and is nowhere near up to par with Dis Pater's previous work if you ask me. There' just too much shit happening and that ice crack thing in the foreground looks really bad.

Anyway hopefully the rest of the layout is nice, and I'm definitely looking forward to the music.

GLOAMING - Debut album out now! | COMA VOID | FAUSTIAN ORBS

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:33 am 

^ I'm with you - the right side doesn't need those annoying ice mountain things, and i could lose the comet....but yeah, the music is gonna rule.

https://bptst.bandcamp.com/- ambient
last.fm

MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:36 pm 

Yeah, the artwork is a bit bad in a "Look what my talented 6th grader made in art class!" kind of way, but I'm not gonna complain if the music is as good as Funerals.

TheExodusAttack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:46 pm 

Never heard of this but I checked it out based on the cover art alone. Listened to Firmament so far and really dug it. I haven't explored much into ambient black metal at all but it seems like this guy really knows how to write it. It seems like it's great music to study to, heh.
I am getting pissed thinking about all the dumbass fake punk my sister made me listen to

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:10 am 

Dis Pater's had some interesting ideas going on between his three projects.

Concerning his other black metal project, The Crevices Below, the project sounded a lot darker as opposed to Midnight Odyssey.

Youtube: show

There's a lot of dark wavey/gothic influence thrown in too, almost Type O Negative-like.

Youtube: show

And Tempestuous Fall is funeral doom metal, which is a rather hit or miss genre, but I think he did it really well too.

I hit play, and was overcome with the urge to be physically inactive! Great music!

Reply to topic