Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:27 pm 

Vanize - "Master and Servant"

Never even heard of them, but this is some pumping and powerful stuff. Something about that opening just grabbed me and wouldn't let go. Definitely got an Accept vibe from the vocals, although this fellow's are a lot less rough than Udo's. Not much else to say other than that the chorus was quite infectious, the solo section showing obvious talent while not being at all flashy, and I like the way they went into the last refrain with everything dropping out but for the single guitar for a couple of bars..then...boom!..one last time! Good song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4LtOJHayAc
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:58 pm 

Mortuary Drape "Layla"

Started off a bit slow and initially the rasping vocals sounded a bit weak, but when it picked up into that killer old school metal groove I was pretty hooked. I've never really familiarized myself with these guys before but they have a cool style going on, very old-school, very raw but also really quirky and theatrical in a way. You can hear the bass every bit as well as the guitar, and the hooks are ironclad as they both gallop along like horses across a battlefield. I dig the really passionate, low-fi metal spirit on display here. I'll probably check out more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqdoGvJoDsQ

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:44 pm 

Spoiler: show
@Abo: Glad you liked Vanize! Good call on the Accept comparison: the singer is no other than Udo's younger brother, Peter Dirkschneider. Although he is undoubtedly walking on his brother's footsteps (and his band is vastly influenced by Accept), I actually find him to be a stronger, more varied vocalist. Also, it's indeed a rather surprisingly obscure band (they've been around since the early 90s and I stumbled upon them by pure chance about 2-3 years ago). They have a handful of solid oldschool heavy/power albums, pretty much in this vein.

EDIT: Damn, this Mortuary Drape song is fantastic! Never gave them a try, although their name came up regularly for years (including a recent thread of yours right here I think), but I stupidly didn't suspect anything like this at all. I just assumed they were some sort of caveman style proto black metal (not that I necessarily dislike that). This is brilliant, ridiculously complex, quite personal stuff. Thanks! :metal:

@all: Hmpf, again YT fails me. That's three songs I meant to post but simply aren't on YT. And no way to put a direct link to a song on MS. Grrr! :guns:

Alright, there's still plenty of stuff to choose from (I'm not quite ready to open a YT account and start uploading stuff)

Empyreal wrote:

Wow, I love this song, and I'm definitely going to look up this band, thanks man! Not easy to review this, though, words elude me to do them justice. Okay, short version this is as if Evanescence had recruited a mighty composer with a pretty distinct, touching style, and steered mostly away from nu metal gimmicks and production values. This song is arguably closer to gothic rock than it is metal (guess one might call this melodic gothic metal), it is keyboard-driven and has very intricate, captivating arrangements, notably in the well, "background solo" guitar work, and stunningly emotional vocals. This is soft, this is pure, and this is genuinely awesome.

There you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI2UeuUj0WE

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:21 pm 

Saviour Machine- Force of the Entity

Ugh, not my cup of tea. The vocalist tries too hard to add "emotion" to an otherwise decent chorus. However, he fails miserabily as he borderline cries enunciating the lyrics. The keyboards are surprisingly tasteful and restrained, avoiding solos, which are my second biggest pet peeve in metal (the first would be that kind of noodling guitars we see in tech death metal). Still, I can't force myself to enjoy this, because I'm a riff addict. Be them the "br00tal grooves", the "frostbitten wind howls" or simply the "riffs d00d", I can't enjoy riffless "metal". And this is exactly what happens here. Not much effort in the rhythm guitar departament, no mindblowing riffs, no... nothing. The guitarist is happy being a coadjuvant to the crying vocalist and solemnly forgetting what metal is about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb2L1QT2cpc

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:30 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
[spoiler]@Abo: Glad you liked Vanize! Good call on the Accept comparison: the singer is no other than Udo's younger brother, Peter Dirkschneider.

Wow....that leaves me a bit speechless. :lol: I might get into the habit of looking up these bands people post, but the fact is that I usually don't before reviewing as someone would inevitably beat me to the post. That's pretty amazing anyway; I definitely dig this sort of stuff, and I'm glad to hear that his vocals are varied, too, as while I do enjoy Udo he's sort of a one-trick performer if you know what I mean...even if that one trick is a very arresting and unique style of singing.

Quote:

EDIT: Damn, this Mortuary Drape song is fantastic! Never gave them a try, although their name came up regularly for years (including a recent thread of yours right here I think), but I stupidly didn't suspect anything like this at all. I just assumed they were some sort of caveman style proto black metal (not that I necessarily dislike that). This is brilliant, ridiculously complex, quite personal stuff. Thanks! :metal:

Glad you enjoyed that! It's from what I think must be their most progressive and adventurous record, Tolling Thirteen Gnell, but really you can't go wrong with any of them. Even though their first album and EP probably have the simplest riffs and they were often compared with Venom at the time, they always had a greater sense of the obscure, and were much better musicians as well. I love pretty much everything about them, right down to their mysterious image, the crazy pseudonyms, the fact that the bass takes centre-stage without ever being distorted or exactly overshadowing the guitars....yeah. :D

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:44 pm 

Milo wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb2L1QT2cpc

Helstar - Face the Wicked One.

Alright, so not my favourite Helstar song, but nonetheless it's a good one. This is sort of a good nod towards the more elaborate style as seen on A Distant Thunder but on this particular track it doesn't feel like it's all there yet. Still, James gives a great vocal performance, and the riffing is still strong. But if you compare this to the wonderfully dark, flowing tracks on A Distant Thunder it comes up a little short. The production's not as sharp either, this album could definitely use Bill Metoyer's touch. Still, I'm comparing a very good album/song to a fantastic one. 'Conquest' is perhaps a stronger track from the same album. Still, I don't want to seem to negative; cool riffing, great vocals and a nice pace... not A-grade Helstar but that just goes to show how good this band were in their prime.

Here's my choice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NqN-HgDsis

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:06 pm 

Sabbat - Metamorphosis

Once again I feel obligated to whine about riffs. In this one, some of them might be a bit too... well-known for the seasoned thrasher. However, this is just a minor quibble and this nice song has so much more than a recycled riff. First of all, this song has STRONG atmosphere. "Nocturnal", "nightmarish", and "ominous" are the words that come to mind while listening to it. The production makes the intro sound like decay. It also makes the already hellish riffing sound even more menacing and rainy. This is more or less a lesson of how to do black metal-infused thrash. Instead of slapping tremolo riffs and harsh vocals in a thrash song, Sabbat replaces the somewhat "urban" attittude of thrash and replaces it with the supernatural evilness of black metal with great results. Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoCmfARU ... re=related

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:28 am 

Scarve - Crustscraper

Kind of hard for me to say anything negative, or positive about this....rather vanilla blend of...ummm...Thrash and Death? I really didn't hear much linking it to Death Metal to be bluntly honest, as some deeper, growled vocals piping in every now-and-then doesn't quite cut it for me. I see the comparison being tenuous at best. As for the music itself, well, it was just "there", nothing more, nothing less - kind of like carpet, or a door. They just do their thing. The rather crisp, yet sterile sound to the whole thing didn't grab me either, leaving me distracted and looking for dirty marks on my keyboard instead. Not for me at all I'm afraid.

Enjoy (or not, up to you really...).

My collection

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:22 am 

Deceased- Nuclear Exorcist

I didn't expect to enjoy that, for the first ten seconds, but I very quickly changed my mind. It sounds like "Black-Metal" era Venom, on steroids, with the same enjoyable, heavy sounding clunkiness to the instruments, and some vocal similarity. The slower, more melodic bits are awesome, and genuinely a little bit haunting, in contrast to the rest of the song, which is very raucus. I have to say, the song is very enjoyable due in part to the sheer number of dimensions that the music seems to have, in terms of atmosphere, mood and style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2oLuBVf9oQ

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:00 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:

Embers - The reprise//Corruption
Interesting mellow intro leads to a trudging little dirge with admittedly more interesting than expected drumming. There is a clangy cymbal-heavy complexity to it that adds a pretty unique feel to this entire song. The tremolo riff really develops into something downright creepy when the vocals come in. The mournful dirge takes on a fuck-it-all type of despair. Again the drumming is interesting as hell, developing into something vaguely tribal towards the end. I didn't even realize that this was a monstrous 9 minute long track. I'll definitely be checking out more of their stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppsk9mivqy8

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:35 pm 

Fall of the Idols-Ungodly thirteen

Sitting through the song was quite a chore as the vocals instantly made me recall a lesser version of the guy from My dying bride. The goal of a lot of doom metal bands is to find that lethargic vocalist, and this guy takes the case except for sounding really boring except for some higher rasps around 3:41. The riffs never deviate and the only high point of the song was the solo to a sort of groove pace around 6:12, overall a boring song and not something that'd convince me to check out the band's material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7om9aGK7Pn4

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:32 am 

Corpse Molestation - Dweller of the Bottomless Pit

FUCK yes! This particular link takes me back to when I first heard these guys waaay back when on a tape I had from a friend, which had this beastly demo tacked onto the end of side B. When this unholy, fucking savage holocaust was unleashed upon me for the first time it was truly a daunting "what the HELL was that?!" moment. Luckily for me I now have the shiny reissue. But I digress...for those who didn't know, this band went on to become the awesome Bestial Warlust, and thankfully not much changed musically, in regards to the blistering, devastating attack on display. Primal, bestial Death Metal at it's best, and most probably not for everyone, but I love it.

Not quite as filthy...

My collection

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:25 pm 

Behexen - Fist of the Satanist

Pretty raw, but the music rises out of the fuzz rather well, and It's capable of retaining it's dimensions. It's got a genuine creepy, "oldschool" feel which I really like for it's sound, and for what I percieve to be it's proximity to "quintessential" black-metal. I'm finding a lot of Finnish black metal to have these qualities. It's a long song, but it really flies by, suggesting that it's engaging, as opposed to merely present. I liked the vocals expecially, they possessed a very harsh, almost demonic sound to them, and were genuinely cold and evocative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXArb41TkQ

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:35 pm 

@Abo: Well, if I end up mini-reviewing a song from a band I'm totally unfamiliar with, I typically look it up only once I'm done with my mini-review; I find it more interesting this way.

Peter is certainly more varied and has a better overall technique than Udo. I never found Udo to be that unique, to be honest, I had been an avid AC/DC fan for years when I first got into Accept, and to this day he really comes across as a deliberate mix of Brian Johnson's (2/3) and Bon Scott's (1/3) vocal styles (not that he's as strong a singer as either). Don't get me wrong: he's always done a great job at what he does, but yeah he's indeed a tad bit limited (then again, Wolf Hoffman reportedly had to adapt his songwriting ideas to work around Udo's limitations, which gave us tons of greatness).

I'll definitely explore Mortuary Drape's discography when I can get around to it; thanks again. :)

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:

Not bad, but not too interesting either; the more energetic section from about 2'00'' to 3'00'' notwithstanding: that was a pretty good, if quite typical, black metal moment. The rest of the song is well-done for what it is (a very long intro), and that would work if all this "it's weird, and a bit puzzling and creepy, and slow and repetitive, but fear not: we're going somewhere eventually" build-up actually led to some kind of climax. The faster solo section near the end is too short and generic and boring to count as a climax in my book, especially not after this many minutes of playing around in circles on the same half arpeggio with the promise of an eventual pay-off. Probably works best as background/ambient/atmospheric music, I guess. Not for me.

My turn [EDIT! My bad, very sorry if someone already started on this song - I'd forgotten about the 5 minutes of bullshit at the end; please only take into account from the start to 3'12'' or so.]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cDd2k1eXRM

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:38 pm 

Your Shapeless Beauty-Récital pour une agonie céleste

That style of Gothic-esque metal was one of the main sounds I indulged in when I first started off listening to metal, so immediately after that interesting main riff the faster break reminded me a lot of stuff like mid-era Rotting Christ and Siebenburgen. I actually liked the faster part of the song with the exception of the weird drum tone, and when it slowed down around 3:10 for the dramatic repose for two minutes I had about lost faith. But the solo re-emerged and showed all was not lost, the only fault of the song was that weird momentary pause, but overall I really liked it for a bit of uptempo gothic stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pc9BJtzdr8

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:27 pm 

Yogth Sothoth - Rites Of Destruction (Evil Sorcerers Domainn)

I don't normally incorporate stuff with this level of brutality into my daily metal-diet, but it's definitely a refreshing change. I love Lovecraft, so in terms of theme, this band ticks all the boxes, and I definitely enjoy the music, which is intense as hell, but also had the dark, murky feel of something sinister, as opposed to something gory or blasphemous, which compliments the evil, supernatural theme quite well. All in all, although not what I'd listen to daily, I definitely like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1eNBQLyNU0

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:19 pm 

Hellfire-Constantine

The track was probably one of the bits of filler off of that particular album, as the band seemed to be holding back a little, the main riff was solid a little plodding at certain points until the solo and dual-guitar parts to the middle of the song. What fascinated me most about the song was the vocalist who sounded like a mixture of the gruff vocals of Mille Petrozza and a voice very similar to Bobby from Overkill. He was the most interesting part of the song, as the riffing was just kind of going through the motions. I'm sure other songs by the band are much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynWXDPdY-U8

Under_Starmere wrote:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:26 pm 

Hellfire: "Constantine"

Some nifty guitarwork goign on in this song. Started out with heavy Slayer remeniscences, I thought, but by the time the tasteful solo section making use of cool harmony and obviously-composed leads made its entrance, most of that feeling had been dispelled. The vocals have a decent rasp to them while maintaining a fairly clean tone..kind of reminded me of newer Kreator, but less nasal. The drumming was absolutely braindead...in fact I'm pretty sure it was just a hastily programmed machine...I counted only two fills that repeated exactly twice with the same intervals of time between them. TOtally inappropriate for this kind of music; a real drummer doing some interesting things would have made that song ten times better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDuIAXMgPpo

Edit: Oops, sorry Veracs...

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:16 pm 

Akitsa - Le Retour du Soleil

I'm quite fond of Akitsa, because of it's extraordinary raw quality and the capacity to create a thick atmosphere, which allows you to sympathize a lot with what they're trying to achieve. His material (and this song) are definitely an acquired taste, as it often gets very repetitive. The riffs however are there. This song is perhaps even a bit rawer than i'm used to hearing from them, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Again the atmosphere is there and it has this kind of amateuristic garage rock style to it. Circle of Ouroborus has this thing going on as well and you can't help but appreciate the honesty of it.

Manilla Road - She's Fading

I'm a sucker for Manilla Road, but i've still got a lot of holes in my collection. I'm not familiar with this song or the album. It's interesting to see MR going for a ballad and thanks to the excellent vocals they manage to pull it off as well. It's perhaps a little too disney for me, but that's purely personal. The bass is clearly playing a very important part and is rather up front, which is something I appreciate a lot. The solo's as usual are great and you don't expect anything less from them either. The main riff is great too, which seems to be coming back throughout the entire song. All in all, a really good song and a reminder for me that I need more Manilla Road albums!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PohORIszss

draterami
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:54 pm 

Diocletian - Might is Right

It's all there in the song title. Might is right - this song is a heavy, pounding monstrosity. From the doomy opening and main riff, this song is just big. Vocals are growled, with multi-tracking to add extra strength. They're also put back in the mix a little and have an echo effect on them. I like this - it adds an atmospheric quality to the song. About halfway through the song, there was a slow riff with blastbeats over the top. This sounded very clumsy, as if the drummer and rest of the band were trying to play at the same time from opposite sides of a stadium. It just sounds off. However, this is only a short section of the song, the rest of which is enjoyably heavy and varied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaMiBuVZmzM&feature=related

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:32 pm 

draterami wrote:

Cult of Luna - "Curse"

Cool! Cult of Luna! I have their album Salvation, but never heard anything else from their discography, so this is a welcome surprise. From the very beginning, the songs weaves an intricate lulling atmosphere. The song picks up some aggression after a bit, but maintains the melody that started off as a sort of structural backbone, which really preserves a sense of coherency even through periods of pleasant cacophony. It really gains an intensity towards the end that makes the whole thing come off a bizarre, heavy-as-fuck waltz. The only real drawback for me is that I have never liked the hardcore screaming vocals that they always employ, but it's a minor fault overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnFeXlIvWUc

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:44 pm 

Macabre - Freeze Dried Man

Well, you've left me quite a tricky one. I have absoloutely no idea where it fits, sound wise, other than knowing that it sounds absoloutely 'effing mad. The oddly upbeat, simplistic and cheeky style of the song seems quite novel, and certainly throws a certain lack of convention into the mix. I can definitely say that this isn't the first thing I'd be listening to, at any given time, but it has an odd, twisted charm, and I can certainly see why it would appeal to people. Definitely not what I expected to be listening to today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_A3WR0qsQY

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:00 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Macabre - Freeze Dried Man

Well, you've left me quite a tricky one. I have absoloutely no idea where it fits, sound wise, other than knowing that it sounds absoloutely 'effing mad. The oddly upbeat, simplistic and cheeky style of the song seems quite novel, and certainly throws a certain lack of convention into the mix. I can definitely say that this isn't the first thing I'd be listening to, at any given time, but it has an odd, twisted charm, and I can certainly see why it would appeal to people. Definitely not what I expected to be listening to today.

I actually find Macabre's songs to be the most unnerving out of all the metal I've listened to--probably because they're not as theatrical and dramatic as a lot of black metal stuff that tries to sound frightening and creepy. Their whole approach of makings songs that go into great detail into the lives of serial killers (see their concept album Dahmer that chronicles Jeffery Dahmer's life) and the whole upbeat, joking presentation of those details is very unsettling. Weird fact: Frontman apparently has a shop on ebay that sells/buys with serial killer memorabilia.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:09 pm 

macabre not theatrical? What..what are those crazy vocals and goofy segues into show tunes and campfire music if not the height of theatrics? Not saying that's a bad thing, but come on now :P

They're a fantastic live band by the way. I rarely ever listen to them on CD but they put on a hell of a show.

Beastwars: "Cthulhu"

Alas their name reminds me too much of one of the updates to the Transformers franchise. Still, this was interesting and different, and very effectively used some extremely simple elements to create a track that has a haunting and threatening dirge-like atmosphere. I like how the production on everything gives it a very subterranean feeling, like it was all coming from some drowned cavern. The vocalist reminds me of someone who I can't place right now...possibly some 80s goth singer? Anyway he starts out sounding subdued and I'm sure this fellow can actually sing when he tries, but then spirals into wild yet still melodic impassioned howling. I like it. THe whole thing is anchored by a very steady bassline and probably mechanical drum beat. No real riffs in here, and I wonder if the rest of their stuff is more like metal than this? Not that I'm complaining...the howls and atmospheric chords used by the guitar here are quite neat. The ending brought back the clean guitar from the outset but coupled with some dragging sounds like tentacles gaining purchase in sand and a weird, sort of hesitant playing style, brought to mind the image of the Lovecraftian beast rising from the sea.

Right, now it's my turn!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twFu0ZABwvk

Last edited by Abominatrix on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:18 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
macabre not theatrical? What..what are those crazy vocals if not the height of theatrics? Not saying that's a bad thing, but come on now :P

They're a fantastic live band by the way. I rarely ever listen to them on CD but they put on a hell of a show.

True. I guess I meant lyrically. I mean most of the lyrics are just really specific facts about the given serial killer.

Have yet to see them live, but I think I'm gonna catch them at the next MD deathfest. Really psyched to see them live.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:21 pm 

G.I.S.M - Nih Nightmare

Oh boy. This was some of the trashiest, unhinged stuff I've heard in a while. Unfortunately for me, it was not a good thing, and I am a huge fan of raw, and at times rough'n'ready music(k), but this raucous, almost heinous slab of fuzzed out fuckery only managed to raise a smile out of me due to it's off kilter (and out of key) vocals, and rather simple, but effective I guess, guitar work. The sloppy, haphazard "solo" was also a little chuckle inducing. The rather menacing growled vocals were not without their charm though, but I'm sorry Abom, this ain't for this little black duck.

My turn!

My collection

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:29 am 

Adversarial - Impending Eternal Blackness

While the beginning of the song isn't that bad for the first seconds with a lead guitar supporting the main riff with some kind of melodic lead, the song soon annoys me due to the terrible sound of the tokka-tokka-tokka drums and the kind of dull vocals. Rumbling along in a rather uninspired way I'm a bit positve suprised by the more, slower and crunching part in the last third. However when it gains speed again to change to the stuff heard before, my yawning is there again leaving me happy when it's finally over. Def. not my cup of tea...

my turn again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9ohlGifwow

Buprenorphed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:53 am 

Wastelander - Wastelander

The link promissed black/thrash so it was surprising and refreshing to hear this piece of thrashy Crusty Hardcore with an ever so slight touch of black in the production, and some secondary vocals. This is very refreshing and different from the 'war' metal i expected to hear.Thrashy overdriven guitar, shouted vocals and constant D-beat give the song a Hardcore core, while the production, the evident Venom influence and some flourishes give it a Crust crust. The content and image bring to mind the 'war blackdeathrash' scene in which this may find itself categorized. For fans of Crust, Black/Speed metal and plain Hardcore.

7.5 / 10
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ddPyMx ... re=related

Hey u guyz, u cee wut i did thar? 2 double puns. Together. Im gonna go tell someone about it, brb.
Hehe ;)

Last edited by Buprenorphed on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:02 am 

Wastelander - Wastelander

I like the rawness of the song and the straightforward approach. The vocals are good, however I would have preferred if he shut up a bit more and let the instruments come through more often. Luckily towards the end there's a nice solo, although it was a bit short. The outro ambiance is a very nice addition and not something I was expecting. All in all, this sounds like something I need to dive into some more. It's not that original, but it thrashes like the best and sometimes I don't need any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vstm68fy8pg

Buprenorphed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:11 am 

Hey guys i forgot to put my link at first, so dont skip me please! Ive edited it in. In latin characters its: Sektor Gaza - Sosjennaya Vedma
Also forgot to mention the sample at the VERY end of Wastelander sounds like a woman choking on a cock.

Might as well:
---------------------------------------------

SPIRITUS MORTIS - MAN OF STEEL

WOW.I am impressed!!! This song represents so many aspects of heavy metal it would seem that it is the closest ive heard to '1 Song that DEFINES METAL' It is heavy, it is dark, it is loud, it is thrashy, it is doomy, it is powerfull, it is simple, it is technical ...... oh god.Well this is a song that perfectly makes use of metals palm muted staccato + power chord formula but at the same time manages to have a tone akin to Doom metal, the vocals sound EXACTLY like Reverend Bizarre, the bass pounds and the drums pummel away at a steady pace.Its a song that is difficult to describe, but easy at the same timme: Its HEAVY METAL refined. THE MAN OF STEEEEEEEEEEL. Where have you been all my life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC4wsDk-C9M

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:27 am 

Buprenorphed wrote:

WOW.I am impressed!!! This song represents so many aspects of heavy metal it would seem that it is the closest ive heard to '1 Song that DEFINES METAL' It is heavy, it is dark, it is loud, it is thrashy, it is doomy, it is powerfull, it is simple, it is technical ...... oh god.Well this is a song that perfectly makes use of metals palm muted staccato + power chord formula but at the same time manages to have a tone akin to Doom metal, the vocals sound EXACTLY like Reverend Bizarre, the bass pounds and the drums pummel away at a steady pace.Its a song that is difficult to describe, but easy at the same timme: Its HEAVY METAL refined. THE MAN OF STEEEEEEEEEEL. Where have you been all my life?

It is the singer of Reverend Bizarre ;) and I agree with you

Buprenorphed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:33 am 

Weerwolf wrote:
It is the singer of Reverend Bizarre ;) and I agree with you

Hehe after writing that i looked them up and totally facepalmed when i saw that

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:12 pm 

Buprenorphed wrote:

Sektor gaza Belaya goryachka

This seems like the Russian version of a demo from some hair metal band like Motley Crue or something. There seems to be really only one riff repeated over and over, which sounds like a slowed down version of some stadium rock anthem. The vocals are the standard post-vodka binge Russian folksy-ness. The lyrics, if you speak Russian, are entertaining enough, but I can't really see this song appealing to anyone who doesn't speak Russian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCipVX2n ... re=related

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:25 pm 

Sanatorium: "Dunwich Morgue"

Ah, my second go at a Lovecraft-inspired song in a row, it seems, and that's completely coincidental. This entertained me, and was short enough to not truly bore, but I have a feeling I wouldn't really enjoy listening to an entire album made by these fellows. Though the song possesses a certain morbid atmosphere, there's what I feel is a certain laziness to the performance...too much hammering on one chord (though thankfully they don't keep it up for too long), and not a terribly convincing display on the drums, though I really like that big boxy snare sound. Some cool use of harmony in the slow section at around 1:50..which they'd developed it a little more. The vocals are layered frog burps and I kind of dig them, though it's not normally something I hear in "my" type of death metal with the exception of Demilich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UGxbt_kzm8
Note: If you can't play it loud, don't even bother....

EternallyDoomed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:46 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Sanatorium: "Dunwich Morgue"

Ah, my second go at a Lovecraft-inspired song in a row, it seems, and that's completely coincidental. This entertained me, and was short enough to not truly bore, but I have a feeling I wouldn't really enjoy listening to an entire album made by these fellows. Though the song possesses a certain morbid atmosphere, there's what I feel is a certain laziness to the performance...too much hammering on one chord (though thankfully they don't keep it up for too long), and not a terribly convincing display on the drums, though I really like that big boxy snare sound. Some cool use of harmony in the slow section at around 1:50..which they'd developed it a little more. The vocals are layered frog burps and I kind of dig them, though it's not normally something I hear in "my" type of death metal with the exception of Demilich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UGxbt_kzm8
Note: If you can't play it loud, don't even bother....

This guy has amazing talent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtuIwPoBqS8

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:00 pm 

Eternally Doomed, you arse, review my song, and did you really just post an hour-long piece of music? argh...

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:50 pm 

(ignoring EternallyDoomed's song as he didn't review and sticking to Abominatrix's song)

ARCKANUM - Þursvitnir

Hell, yes! (sorry, frostbitten hell, of course) One of my fave songs from "ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ". The song directly hits you with it's clanking icy melodic lead and is carried along over the raw main atmosphere. This song as also the whole album combines rawness, cold and even chaos together with said icy melodies and tremolos to a bleak and beautiful whole. While earlier in their career being either very Burzum-esque or touching Black/Thrash terrain, this song and album stand right besides Ulver's "Nattens Madrigal" and DarkThrone's "Panzerfaust". Northern BM the way it has to sound. Point.

here we go with a new song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evG1q07toeo

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:25 pm 

Children Of Technology-No Fuel...No Hope!!!

This may be about as original as, well, any other thrash resurgance band (not original at all), but damnit I just love this music. Simple, memorable riffs, raw production, angry vocals, it's just so enjoyable. It does song more punky than most thrash; a bit different there. Plus they have short songs, which is good,seeing as crossover bands that try to have 4+ minute songs usually end up pretty boring.

And now to end this thread's tradition of posting songs that nobody else has heard-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHKRbFZ1HA4

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:31 am 

Rhapsody of Dogshit-Knightrider of doom

Oh man, and I thought it couldn't get any worse with that Psychotic Waltzsong you posted a few pages back. I don't know where to begin with how godawful the song is, the riff was incredibly generic that typical Blind guardian knockoff speed metal riff. The choral elements of the song do nothing to boost the shallow chorus, and they make the vocalist sound more pompous than even the chorus itself. The double bass pedals can't help a song with that cheesy of a chorus. Overall, a horrible song from an equally horrible band, thank god they broke up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b6wRLD9 ... re=related

Under_Starmere wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:59 am 

Veracs wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b6wRLD9YKo&feature=related

Warlord - Lucifer's Hammer

There's some fun riffing going on, and it has some drive...but GODDAMMIT I HATE THAT ASSHOLE FROM HAMMERFALL. He's the entire reason I can't get into Hammerfall, and now he's ruining this song with his weak-ass vocals. His voice is just so thin and short of breath, it just ruins the whole experience. The guitar tone is just as thin, but at least it's doing something interesting and fun. Unlike a certain someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGjEayWJi8A

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 72  Next