Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:20 pm 

Manticora - Playing God
Manticora; the band I should love, but don't. I never quite could put my finger on what's wrong with these guys. I mean; the thrashy, frantic riffing is there, the double bass frenzy is there, leads and keyboards are more than appropiate (and aplenty) and they have a cool (albeit a little flat) singer with a reminiscence to Hansi Kursch. They are filled to the brim with stuff I usually enjoy, but alas, they leave me cold. At least with this song I can say that the main riff is great; with a lot of bite and a slightly ominous edge, but the rest is to no avail. The solos incite nothing but boredom in me, and I find the huge, multitracked chorus that recites "PLAYING GOOOOOOD!!! quite unnecessary. The vocalist, like always, does a more than decent job, but seems to be trying too hard (at least to me) for some reason. The rhythm section is appropiate, nothing more, nothing less. Ah, what the hell, I'll just go back to Fool's Game.....

And speaking of power metal.....

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:46 pm 

Spoiler: show
That was fucking AWESOME.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:48 pm 

Glad you liked it, as it's some of the best stuff in the sub-genre I heard as of late, and probably ever. And the singer is NUTS!!! As a vocalist, I have to say that it's just NOT FAIR for people like that to exist.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:58 pm 

It was really good, but I can't get over how the cover is an exact synthesis of Kamelot's The Fourth Legacy and Nocturnal Rites' The Sacred Talisman. :lol:

- John Calvin.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:07 pm 

And a horrible Skylark album, don't forget about that. And, when I come to think of it, saying "horrible Skylark album" is kinda redundant.....

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:07 pm 

Messiah's Kiss - Ancient Rites

I'm really picky when it comes to power metal. Many bands just seem superficial to me and they sound like they just follow the steps to make it sound like what the genre confines dictate, yet forget to make the songs good/memorable/catchy etc. But there are exceptions, and they tend to be at exactly the opposite end of the spectrum; the awesome end. This is what we have here. This song is a blazing power trip the way it's meant to be. Starts off with a speedy riff which engages you right of the bat. The guitar tone is warm and full, very fitting to the style of the song. The vocals take over the spotlight during the verses, which isn't a bad thing, because this guy rules. His voice sounds like if Chris Boltendahl tried to be Tobias Sammet. The chorus is excellent, melodic and catchy as fuck. It reminds me of Avantasia's early stuff. The solo is what you would expect from a killer band like this. If more power metal bands were this good I'd be listening to more of it. I'll definitely check these guys out more. Thanks for posting! 9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAN8v-sw0Tc

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:17 am 

tehfoks wrote:

This band is somewhat legendary in regards to NWOBHM and such (so I've heard), and they certainly have the long-in-the-tooth heritage/pedigree to them, and I have never actively sought them out, which won't change on the basis of this track. I have got nothing really bad to say about it, it just...well, wasn't that great. Don't get me wrong, the riff-tasticness is all abundant, but never really moved me, the same can be said for the vocals, which I found a bit... meh. Maybe this particular track isn't one of their strongest? Maybe I don't get it? Whatever the reason I wasn't won over. I can see where influences for other bands (and themselves) would have been drawn, but I think for the time, there was better out there.

Something different altogether (naturally).

My collection

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:03 am 

Vanhelgd - "Mansklighetens Final Ruin"

The song began and I thought, "ah, some kind of really sludgy, crawling monstrosity", this thought being bolstered by the slightly hardcorish desperate growls of the singer. To my surprise though, the speed quickly increased to a wild thrashing...for a moment I didn't even realise that they'd gone into high gear, because it sounded like the drummer was bashing away at the toms while the guitars still churned out those almost traditional Sabbathlike riffs. At 1:50 or so there's a bit of a slowdown and real weird and cool harmony that leads into an almost solo and more quick riffwork. I really like the buzz of those guitars and the thunk of the drums...the whole thing has a grimy old sound to it that I definitely appreciate. Vocals seem to overshadow the riffs a bit at times, which is only a slight shame as they're pretty good at what they do..full of mad and, as I said, desperate character. The return to a doomy crawl at the finish of this brief attack is perfectly logical and warranted. Cool song, I'll look more into this band.

http://youtu.be/FSOeWXYbYSM
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:05 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:

Amebix - Beyond the Sun

Amebix ballads are generally great... but this one doesn't tend to strike me as much as the others. Perhaps it's my heart of stone and blood of ice, who knows? But still, this is a good track; the Baron really does get a chance to shine, putting in a very emotive, heartfelt performance. You really do get a sense of loss and raw emotion especially when it's got that "Beyond the SUUUUNNNNN!!" bit which is quite strikingly loud, as if his cheap microphone were going to give in at any moment. I do love the instrumental sound here, it's as if the band was collapsing in on itself or something. Perhaps this song just isn't quite as brilliant as 'Coming Home', it certainly doesn't have quite the same sense of a journey, at any rate. I blame myself, Amebix are brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLSHXkgMks8

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:54 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Been a while since I heard these guys, more's the pity too, as this is some damn excellent, fiery and bloody enormous Norwegian black metal. I wouldn't call this epic, as it's too raw and straight forward, but the central riff is a perfect example of unpolished power and fury. The pounding central theme carries the bulk of the song, and that is more than welcome, and is aided by some snarling, shrieking vocals which carry enough presence in their own right. This has enough (well implemented) variation in song structure to keep from getting stagnant, with thundering drums furthering the controlled rage this exhibits. Bloody marvelous, going to have to look at getting a copy.

Staying in Norway now...

My collection

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:57 pm 

Orcustus - "Asphyxiokenisis"

As the song began I was a bit surprised, as I always heard this band was pretty much a modern incarnation of the classic Norwegian BM sound, and they begin with what sounds rather like a trademark death metal riff. Nice "chainsaw" guitar buzz, and some huge sounding drum attacks. Thirty seconds or so in though and we're definitely in Norse black metal territory, and the song gallops along with a take-no-prisoners attitude and some fine and slightly melancholy riffs. The drummer is pretty creative with his fills even if they always fall in the expected places. Vocals remind me of Garm in his angriest phase. The last minute or so settles into a propulsive rock rhythm where the underlying riffs are weaved in with some very nice melody, and the song makes an effective use of a fade-out. Nothing fancy but very likeable for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdjehinKs7E

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:29 pm 

Tudor- Novy Zivot

ummm...yeah.... here we go. The intro was pretty cool, if weirdly produced. It's also a chord progression I seem to hear way too often in these kinds of things, but I like that they added the clean guitar playing some lead type stuff to help set it apart. Then a thrashy riff comes on with fucked up vocals. I'm not sure wether I even like this or not. I mean, the riffs are pretty good, but the tone seems to have very little distortion. It has no, for lack of a better word, Oomph to it. The random female speaking dosen't work at all. It's hard for me to justify handling 4 minutes of these shitty vocals. The solos are pretty good but too short. This is not for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiIVluxcXNs

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:40 pm 

@ Necroticism:
:lol: :lol: Of all the people who frequent this topic, I knew that out of all of them you would be the one to enjoy this the least. Yep, you can probably guess that I love the guitar tone!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:47 pm 

Yeah I don't listen to Bloody Mary much but Tudor were obviously children of the czech black metal scene, and its a scene I dig. I definitely liked the guitar tone last time I heard it, but I think they could have used more frenzied sections scattered throughout the album. It's mid-paced to a fault from what I remember.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:48 pm 

@Abom:
Blast! Am I that transparent? :p I mean, I can't really fault it that much, every note is easily discernible and it's not muddy at all (a necessity due to poor production values maybe?) If it had a vocalist who didn't sound like he was trolling, I would probably like it!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:00 pm 

@ Necro and Jonpo:
Nah, I guess I just figured, Necro, that you were: 1. more of a modern death metal kind of guy and 2. not really into old sounding distortions. This tone sounds like it could have come from the fuckin' 70s and that's why I love it! It's like an addictive sort of sound to my ears.

Jonpo, yeah, they were children of the Czech scene, for sure, but I think ti's a mistake to listen to Bloody mary as a black metal album, because from waht I can tell so far, it really isn't. It's just some nebulous thing that exists on the borders of black, heavy, doom...hell, I almost get a Death SS vibe going through this stuff. From waht I can tell their two demos were a lot more black metal. I really dont' think Bloody Mary needs more frenzy as it's definitely going for a creepier, more occultic vibe. And what the hell, I like the vocals a lot, too, they're kind of spaced out and strangely melodic. I actually wanted to post the song "1558", but it isn't on youtube..the vocals there are this kind of odd crooning that really sticks in my head. Yeah, they're no absolute masters perhaps but maybe if they'd done more stuff in this vein they would have been. I like them for their weird nature and especially the cool guitarwork.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:04 pm 

@Abom:

Though that may be true, I do like old distortion quite a bit. Just not in thrash. I'm more of a Sabbath style guy when it comes to that stuff.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:06 pm 

Interesting, I'm gonna have to go back and listen to it from a fresh angle. I just haven't spun it in months so my memory may be shoddy. I remember loving the distortion, and a lot of the riffs reminded me of a middle ground between (early)Samael and (early)Root. I guess I was just hoping for something a little more like Root's early material when I ordered it. Need to give it a chance on its own terms. I don't recall the vocals leaving an impression one way or the other.

PostScriptum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:16 am 

Agalloch - Into the Painted Grey

The wall of noise blasting out in the opening section is more of the foregrounding res than being the supposed background to lead melody, reminiscent of one of black metal anthems ''Mother North'' by Satyricon when the main melody is not drowned in the stormy sound sea but even is served to support the atmosphere. Destructive cadence then succumbs to some typical Agalloch as much depressive as melodic. Some folkish tunes backing up by nobby drums' rhythmic patterns follow through middle-tempo and up-tempo recurrent black metal worship. It seems that Agalloch are passing through all the stages of Ulver while they were becoming mature. Like their Norwegian predecessors they they are fluent in transition from dangling haps of folkish calmness to the usual mode of being melodic and noisy at the same time. I prefier ''The Mantle'' to ''Marrow of the Spirit'' so far, but natch it was worth listening to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdxJKFo_niw&feature=related

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:09 pm 

@ Acrobat:

Hmm, heart of stone, I would say! "Beyond the Sun" is definitely my favourite Amebix ballad. In fact the first time I listened to it I was completely overwhelmed by emotion, proving, I guess, that I'm really a sentimental softy! ah well. :D

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:20 pm 

Chastain: "There will be Justice"

A harmonised folky introduction with a somewhat eastern slant to it reminds me of other bits of Chastain I have heard. Then, a raucous guitar slide, adn we're off! What a banger of a song! The riffs are mighty, the drums have that booming sound that could only have come from the 1980s, the singing has plenty of grit and conviction and is catchy as well, and the solos are full of wild classical arpeggios and quick broken chords but don't come off as being wanky in the slightest..in fact I would say they add a good deal to the song. There's a sense of playfulness at work here, like the band could do anything they wanted but feel like hitting us hard with some stellar heavy metal...their skill is used to their advantage and nothing is wasted. Before the last repetition of the chorus there's a sudden and surprising run of double bass drumming and another memorable solo, then finishing the tune with a bang. Gotta get this album!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjep0NM7Ga8

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:46 pm 

Tysondog - Taste the Hate.

This was better! The intro dosen't really seem to accomplish anything, but it does leave me curious as to what's coming. Which is nothing less than pure NWBHM. You can hear the bass doing some awesome shit, and I'm a fan of these drums. The bass drums in particular seem actually BASSY. This vocalist is damn charismatic and I could see myself singing along to this after a few listens, as the chorus is catchy as hell. I miss bands that incorporate gang shouts as an emphasis thing instead of deathcore bands that use them horribly. The solo is damn good, especially those classic British Heavy Metal harmonies. I would put this on while driving, it gives me that kind of feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTShSv-95uI

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:52 pm 

I like that Tysondog song a lot, actually. Nice, Priest-y speed metal and vocalist gives a good 80s Halford impression too. I wish I could say the same for the rest of the album, however, I got rid of it at the end of the day. B-league NWOBHM, really, I wish they had more songs of that quality!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:55 pm 

Haha, I was thinking, "ah crap, yet another 'meh, this isnt' too great!' review from necro for one of my songs". And you proved me wrong!

yeah, that's their second album and the only one they did with that vocalist. It came after the NWOBHM had died down and there's definitely more than a hint of the bourgeoning speed metal sound in there..maybe even a Metallica influence? ANyway, great stuff!

Acrobat, hmm, I admit I have to listen to the album more but my impression seems better than yours. Although, this is certainly one of the highlights. How do you rate their first one?

Last edited by Abominatrix on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:08 pm 

@ Abominatrix :

Well you posted a better song this time :p I'm not just into death metal at all, just good metal.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:18 pm 

Dragonland: "Beethoven's NIghtmare"

Oh no! Not Trans-Siberian Orchestra! Ah wait...oh no, not a Dragon powermetal band! Hey, wait a moment, this might be the best Dragonmetal band around, based on this song at least. It's quite a bit more modern prog metal than I usually enjoy and there's something oddly detached about the vocal production, but I was kind of pleasantly surprised by this. THere are your trademark Stratovariusy bits, with double bass going relentlessly while a guitar chugs along steadily with sixteenth-notes and chords making for not much riffcraft. However, there's also a lot of progression, tasteful use of keyboards (piano and the ubiquitous harpsichord/string sounds) and a few interesting changeups and shifts in mood. Toward the end there's even a bluesy part with an emotional guitar solo that reminds me of something Blackmore. The song kept me interested over six minutes with all its changes, and even some memorable vocal melodies. Not bad. I hate the band name.

Now for something dirtier!
http://youtu.be/Gz9lxV92-kQ

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:22 pm 

@ Abominatrix:

Yeah, their name sucks ass but they make good power metal. Their last album, Under The Grey Banner was damn good. But even more symphonic, so if you don't like that I would stay away. I find that they manage that fine line between awesome and cheese. Anyways, I would review that track as I've recently grown to appreciate Voivod, but I've already reviewed infinite songs recently. Good song though.

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:23 am 

Voivod - Nuclear War

Fucking Voivod man. You've got your cool-to-hate bands, but then you also have the opposites. That's Voivod. I've wanted to like Voivod for so long. I've tried to listen to stuff from different eras, but nothing really works for me. Including this song. However, I don't dislike it. Way better than other Voivod songs I've heard. The rhythm section is interesting. That main bass riff that plods along for much of the song serves as a kind of platform that allows for a shitload of other possibilities. They could've put so many awesome riffs and licks on top of that, but they don't. The riffs just don't cut it for me. There are some parts that engaged me, unfortunately not for long though. The riff at 4:00, which is basically the guitar repeating that main bass riff, but the interplay between the two sounds really cool. Also, the solo towards the very end kicks ass. The vocals are tolerable, surprisingly. I've found them to be absolutely reprehensible in other Voivod songs I've heard. I'm sorry Voivod. I really wish I could like you. Overall, I could listen to this again, I just don't think I would ever feel the desire to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBotFUpfhag

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:50 am 

Very interesting choice tehfoks, definitely a band I never expected to see in this thread. I actually never see anyone talking about them period. I'm not going to take it because I own the album and I'm curious to hear someone else's opinion on this one. I was surprised when I picked this one up how much speed they've worked into the mix compared to their debut. I never listen to this and I'm still not sure why. I'm listening to some other tracks on youtube right now and the riffing just works for me. Fully expect people to be down on the vocals though, it almost sounds like "imitation singing" to me but I'm still not bothered by it. I will say that this is far from my favorite song on the album. Six Mothers of the War God is killer.

edit: Just wanted to add that their debut is way better in my opinion. Pretty much zero thrash/speed influence at all. Just super catchy, punchy heavy metal.

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:58 am 

Early Man - "Brainwash At Birth"

Love the riffs in this one. Hey, why is it I always end up reviewing the great trad-metal-thrash-revival-ish songs with catchy riffs? The riffs aren't particularly special, but they're all catchy and quite diverse, and serve the music perfectly. The rhythm section also does its job professionally enough, and while no particular musician in this band is a real virtuoso, they all mesh nicely. Unfortunately, I really don't like the vocals. He sounds like he's just talking over the music a lot of the time, and there's not much passion or range to be found. With a more powerful vocalist they would probably be a lot better. I think it'll probably be another album or two before these guys really become something great - they've got a good base with some above-average riffing, they just need to refine it and get rid of the vocalist (that's another thing, I always get the songs with shitty vocalists... hmm...). 80% or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHvuXdhnieA

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:22 am 

jerk wrote:

Primordial - Empire Falls

Alright alright, if no one else wants this beast I'm going to take it. I've never heard a single note from Primordial so this should be very much in line with the spirit of the thread. Here's hoping it goes better than the last time I decided to review a song just before going to bed...

This is nothing like I was anticipating. For some reason I was preparing myself mentally for a very busy, eclectic song. The lead-in could have erupted into any number of different styles, and did an amazing job building my own anticipation. This is actually very earthy sounding, without much in the way of bells and whistles. I love the somewhat muffled production and I adore the drumming for the entire length of the track, which is not something I'm normally inclined to notice first. But he has a great swing to his playing, and those tom rolls towards the middle of the track were PERFECTLY placed. The riffing takes on a very atmospheric roll, giving up center-stage, but it really works to the greater good. The vocalist also impressed me. I was expecting some sort of black/death styled "extremeness" but he's just belting it out in a very emotional yet raspy way. The whole song has a definite tone of sadness and nostalgia to it. Just a really moody, well written song. I'm so glad it wasn't a busy mess with ideas piled on top of ideas. The chugging riff towards the middle-end with the countering melodic licks makes for a really good release from all the built-up tension, without wrecking the atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IRNWRSTKTE

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:45 am 

Damn right, Brojonpo. Primordial is amazing and you should check them out.

Legend - Why Don't You Kill Me
Solid NWOBHM, haven't heard them before today even if I had a NWOBHM period some months ago. Solid song, starts with a soft, almost AOR intro and is becoming a metal song after about a minute. Solid stuff, I'll say they're as heavy, but not as fast as Cloven Hoof to make a comparaison. There's a good guitar solo and the format of the song (and the album) is quite traditionnal. The vocals are good, probably the best thing about the band, not very original, but it fits the style. It's probably my biggest argument, the band, albeit the song being from 1982, is quite generic. Nothing out of the extraordinary, it lack the epic heavyness of Maiden, the hard rocking sound of Saxon, the progginess of Chasar or Full Moon. I'll probably check the band out, quite good and well done actually, similar band to Tygers of Pan Tang and Tokyo Blade. But yeah, inside the genre where many great bands reign supreme, it's hard to make a good place for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjO5PuXJO48

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:55 am 

GAWD DAYUM that was quick hahaha. I swear this thread moves nocturnally like nobodies business. Yeah man that Primordial song genuinely impressed me. I'm actually on their page right now reading up on them. Was very pleasantly surprised to see a lot of their stuff going pretty cheap online. Looks like I can get To the Nameless Dead for just a few bucks, and I think I probably will after my b-day money comes in.

RE: Legend:
I haven't quite pinned it down yet, but I actually find this band very unique. I'm fairly obsessed with both of their full-lengths as of the moment. Like you said they weren't doing anything groundbreaking by 1982, I actually think they sound kind of archaic, more rooted in the late 70s, but there's something about the way they deliver their stuff...they can play a riff that isn't nearly as heavy or fast as what some others were doing but it sounds like they're teetering right on the brink of their abilities, really pushing themselves and it just comes off sounding so much more energetic to me. I definitely would recommend checking out the whole album. They've got a penchant for sounding "moody" but this songs one of the moodier.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:59 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Damn right, Brojonpo. Primordial is amazing and you should check them out.

Legend - Why Don't You Kill Me
Solid NWOBHM, haven't heard them before today even if I had a NWOBHM period some months ago. Solid song, starts with a soft, almost AOR intro and is becoming a metal song after about a minute. Solid stuff, I'll say they're as heavy, but not as fast as Cloven Hoof to make a comparaison. There's a good guitar solo and the format of the song (and the album) is quite traditionnal. The vocals are good, probably the best thing about the band, not very original, but it fits the style. It's probably my biggest argument, the band, albeit the song being from 1982, is quite generic. Nothing out of the extraordinary, it lack the epic heavyness of Maiden, the hard rocking sound of Saxon, the progginess of Chasar or Full Moon. I'll probably check the band out, quite good and well done actually, similar band to Tygers of Pan Tang and Tokyo Blade. But yeah, inside the genre where many great bands reign supreme, it's hard to make a good place for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjO5PuXJO48

Great choice, just got turned on to them in the last month or so, and they've been heavily played in my ipod. First time I heard them I thought it was a woman singer. I don't want to say they have a Black Sabbath sound, but they have a Black Sabbath feel. Groovy doom is the feeling I get, and the guitars have a nice full tone. The songs just kind of creep along, or is that Creepy along?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liXQI9bwuCk

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:02 am 

@Jonpooooooo
Yeah, start with To the Nameless Dead and A Gathering Wilderness (their latest album is my 2011 album of the year, but it's not as direct as their two previous ones, if you like them, go ahead and check their earlier stuff, A Journey's End is also very great. I'll check Legend for sure, man. Solid stuff

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:17 am 

Thanks for the heads up my man! I figured based on Empire Falls and the reviews, To The Nameless Dead would be an adequate starting point. I'm somewhat interested in A Journey's End as well. Really it looks like its a pretty safe discography, although it sounds like the debut is a lot more straightforward BM.

I'm not pointing any fingers but some of these reviews are a little too "mini" for my money. I think some people are just in a hurry to post their own song.

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:35 am 

Damn this thread moves FAST!

@ Jonpo
Ha! I thought I was literally the only person who owns this album! I love pretty much every song on it so I didn't know which one to choose. Indeed Six Mothers one of the best. I completely agree with you that I never see anyone talk about this band. I think it's a shame. There are far worse bands out there getting much more recognition. They way I discovered them was kinda weird. I went to show with them, Evile, and Bonded By Blood. Funny thing is, Early Man was headlining, even though the other two bands are far more popular. About the debut, I've only heard a couple of songs here and there, which I liked. You're right, the sound is quite different. More like straight up heavy metal, even a little doom mixed in, right? Anyway, it's on my get-soon-at-a-reasonable-price list.

Oh, by the way, they killed live. I bought their album at the end of the show from the merch booth.

@ Jonpo, Metantoine, or anyone who thinks Primordial is the fucking shit:
Redemption... was my first Primordial. That intro to No Grave Deep Enough just had me hooked instantly. I still think it's the most epic from the three albums I've got. I think it helped me get into their older stuff. I had heard To the Nameless, but after listening to Redemption it just made much more sense. Dunno why. Maybe I'm just weird like that.

@ Broxeel
Dude, you're supposed to review the last track before you post one.

Smalley wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:13 am 

Yeah, Closing In definitely has a more 70's-influenced thing going on, although its still plainly more traditional heavy metal than doom. The style fits with his nasally vocals a lot better, in my opinion. He still doesn't have much of a voice but the slower tempos allow him more room to "sing" instead of just...whatever you want to call it on Death Potion. I would love to see them live, I'd almost go as far as to say Evile and BbB don't deserve to share a stage with them. Those dudes are thrash-by-the-numbers boring bullshit whereas you can really hear the passion coming through in Early Man. I dig that they seem to still be influenced by the utter essentials of heavy metal, and keep everything simple and streamlined.

For the record: I think that was bronxeels review of Tony's song. He may want to edit in the name of the band/song that he reviewed, and cut the quote down to just the youtube link before LegendMaker has a fucking aneurysm.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:21 am 

Got it

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:59 am 

bronxeel wrote:

You're lucky I have a soft spot for this kind of southern-tinged bluesy rock, because otherwise I would just criticize this for sounding identical to Danzig. It's pretty decent I guess, with a good production value, some pretty cool riffs and leads and some so-Danzig-it-hurts vocals, but it really doesn't need to be 8 minutes long and if not for the great zombie horror movie themed video, it would have been pretty dull to watch. There isn't much atmosphere set and the song doesn't have enough dynamic to sustain its long length, so it falls rather flat despite being aesthetically entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUuLWLJ-ng

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 72  Next