Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:31 pm 

After listening to "The Great work of Ages" and reading the general contempt people have for Grand Declaration of War in the Worst albums thread, in the four years that have elapsed since Ordo Ab chao- how do you think the next album will sound? As the band has been continuing their experimental phase for quite sometime now, what do you think the album will sound composition wise, will it included those oddly timed riffs again? How have their newer experimental albums such as Chimera treated your ears in the past, and do you see yourself buying this album just to see how it sounds?

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:15 pm 

While I thought Ordo Ad Chao was a really interesting album I hope they will go back to making more simple, headbangable black metal. In all honesty Blasphemer wasn't a good replacement for Euronymous and hopefully his leaving the band will result in a more simple album. And I don't mean that in a bad way.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:26 pm 

Like shit.

Grand Declaration of War is the only decent Mayhem album.

From Dead to Worse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:55 pm 

Attila is one of my favorite vocalists in metal period. Having said that, I don't really have high expectations for the next Mayhem album. Ordo had its decent moments, but the band has too many member fluctuations to be anything great on a consistent basis.

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:02 pm 

With Blasphemer gone there's no way of telling. I'll get it for Attila and Hellhammer greatness.

2conan4u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:48 pm 

I've liked all the albums from the band right from the start.
Grand Declatation starts to lose me near the end with the digital wankery and slow noise parts or whatever you want to call it, but the album itself I would still call awesome and a success.
That last one could have had slightly better production, although it still was pretty decent in presentation, the method worked.

I think the next one could be the last album but with that better production. That will be the success gimmick to make the new album sell and have the critics loving it.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:43 pm 

I hope they make the production even more unusual, the riffs more dissonant, and the compositions more abstract. I'd love to see them take this completely wonky and delightfully wrong-sounding brand of black metal they've created and run with it as far as they can. The more open-heartedly disdainful of everything "right" about music the better. It's great seeing a band throw caution to the wind and decide they're just going to show the world all the demons they feel the world needs to experience.

As for what WILL happen, who knows? They've only ever backtracked once with a main release but they've been putting out a lot of nostalgia supplements lately... Here's hoping.

AreYouGammaRay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:52 pm 

TheNiceNightmare wrote:
Like shit.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:17 pm 

Who knows... once they really found their sound on DMDS, they've stepped high above and far beyond their strange, creepy, dissonant roots. I've enjoyed all eras of Mayhem post-DMDS, and I'm certain I'll enjoy whatever they come up with next (with a hearty dose of skepticism kept firmly intact, of course).

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:29 pm 

Almost don't care what they do. I generally enjoy just about everything. I think it would be pretty awesome though if they did another album like Grand Declaration.

2conan4u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:38 pm 

Lots of other bands doing weird and whacky stuff out there, would be cool to just get a straight up ferocious BM album from these blokes again too. Something like Wolf Lairs Abyss, violent BM attack.

Just go for the throat. Kinda like how Marduk reinvented themselves with Arioch, for the better. Blazing black metal again, but with a modern creative edge that so much of their prior stuff lacked.

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:46 pm 

I want another wolfs lair abyss. Best shit they ever did next to DMDS. And now i just found out Necrobutcher is getting an excorsim from tv preacher Bob Larson on national tv, that should be great to watch.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:48 pm 

2conan4u wrote:
Lots of other bands doing weird and whacky stuff out there, would be cool to just get a straight up ferocious BM album from these blokes again too. Something like Wolf Lairs Abyss, violent BM attack.

Just go for the throat. Kinda like how Marduk reinvented themselves with Arioch, for the better. Blazing black metal again, but with a modern creative edge that so much of their prior stuff lacked.

I disagree. There's plenty of new retro bm for the retrobmer, and genuinely old-school bands attempting to play their own retro style have a terrible track record.

2conan4u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:18 pm 

pastafarian wrote:
I want another wolfs lair abyss. Best shit they ever did next to DMDS. And now i just found out Necrobutcher is getting an excorsim from tv preacher Bob Larson on national tv, that should be great to watch.

Whaaaat ?
Seriously ? haha

Is this a turn my life around gimmick by Necro or what ?

Hellegion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:46 pm 

TheNiceNightmare wrote:
Like shit.

I was going to say exactly this. Their last album was absolutely horrible, I thought.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:33 am 

I thought Ordo AD Chao was a fucking masterwork. Loved the paranoid Khanate atmosphere on that album. With one of the best vocal performances of recent times by the great Attila.

However i have no idea what to expect from a new release, but i hope its good.

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:03 am 

TheNiceNightmare wrote:
Like shit.

This and only this.

Speak for yourself.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:25 am 

No idea what to expect. I'm interested though, as I liked Ordo Ad Chao but, being a big Blasphemer fan, I'm skeptical. I love Attila as much as the next Mayhem fan, but I wouldn't mind hearing more Maniac-era stuff. I love them both equally, and Maniac's last album (Chimera) was fucking awesome in my books.

Muloc7253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:02 am 

They always do something new and interesting with every album, I have faith that the new one will surprise and divide us further. Although I'm a big fan of Blasphemer and am disappointed to hear he's leaving, if that is true. The break-up guitarist could make or break the band, especially if they bring in a "celebrity".

Germaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:21 am 

Muloc7253 wrote:
Although I'm a big fan of Blasphemer and am disappointed to hear he's leaving, if that is true.

He left already a few years ago.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:52 am 

True.

Cancelled the Australian tour because of it.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:08 am 

Yeah. Band is still going but let's be honest, I doubt there will be a new album.

Infernal_Desecrator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:43 am 

Today's Mayhem is a joke. Hellhammer and company are just living off of the name of the band that Euronymous made famous back in the underground/tape trading days in the early 90's.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 am 

Infernal_Desecrator wrote:
Today's Mayhem is a joke. Hellhammer and company are just living off of the name of the band that Euronymous made famous back in the underground/tape trading days in the early 90's.

Your funny.

Infernal_Desecrator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:19 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:

Your funny.
Tell me why

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:30 am 

I actually would take Chimera and Ordo Ad Chao over Deathcrush and De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:49 am 

Like some here, I don't hope for a DMDS worship album. There are other bands that do it better anyway. Part of me is like John_Sunlight and wants to hear them take the last album route to the extreme, but in reality, I would only like it as a curiosity. I'd also want awesome riffs to be included. Shame that the band hasn't been able to write anything very special since the early days. I won't expect that much.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:51 am 

Yeah, Mayhem was Euronymous' band. Now it's like Sodom without Tom Angelripper. They made some decent stuff since De Mysteriis, but nothing that I care much about. Still, I'll be curious to see what they'll do with the name.

Muloc7253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 am 

They played Wacken a few days ago with Blasphemer on guitar.

germandeather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:35 pm 

Mayhem's new album is hopefully a mix between Ordo ad Chao and DMDS but with an own touch ,a rip off would be nonsense .

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:47 pm 

Muloc7253 wrote:

Eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaihfTSP ... re=related

Speak for yourself.

QuoteKiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:37 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
Yeah. Band is still going but let's be honest, I doubt there will be a new album.

Wait is this thread pure speculation or did they announce they are working on one?

I'd be surprised if they just up and quit. The name alone is worth some money.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:26 pm 

Vrede wrote:
Muloc7253 wrote:

Eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaihfTSP ... re=related

Ah, fuck my life Hellhammer's drums sound like asshole again. Everything else sounds cool, especially Attila who sounds basically like on record. Even though this line up isn't "The True Mayhem", they're still on my need-to-see-before-I-die list of bands. One of the only ones left, actually.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:56 pm 

It'll be a gospel album, mark my words.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Hellegion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:35 pm 

I'll listen to it if and only if Snorre Ruch comes back and plays guitar on it. Mayhem's one of my favorite bands, but the charade needs to end. It's not the same band whatsoever anymore, sonically or in spirit.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:11 pm 

Tell me why

Because you could say the exact same thing about every "classic" band from the 80's. So why bother?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:47 pm 

QuoteKiller wrote:
Wait is this thread pure speculation or did they announce they are working on one?

Pure speculation. There is no assurance that a new album is in the works now or ever.

Hellegion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Tell me why

Because you could say the exact same thing about every "classic" band from the 80's. So why bother?

Not really, considering Mayhem doesn't have its founder/leader/the dude who wrote the music in it anymore. At least most of the 80s bands still going retained their core musicians. Continuing under the name "Mayhem" after his death was completely tasteless. In the very least, if they wanted to use that name, the guys who were actually in the band Mayhem should have written the music, not Blasphemer. Some of the post-Euronymous stuff is really good, it's just not Mayhem.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:10 pm 

Hellegion has a point. However, Hellhammer has been in the line-up since the very early days, and although Necrobutcher doesn't appear on DMDS, he was a part of writing a lot of those songs, and one of the original members.

I love Grand Deceleration of War. Hell, all the albums were great - although Chimera is a bit hit and miss.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Hellegion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:29 pm 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Hellegion has a point. However, Hellhammer has been in the line-up since the very early days, and although Necrobutcher doesn't appear on DMDS, he was a part of writing a lot of those songs, and one of the original members.

I love Grand Deceleration of War. Hell, all the albums were great - although Chimera is a bit hit and miss.

I'm really not so sure what Necrobutcher ever wrote beyond the lyrics on Deathcrush. I've heard it both ways, so I'd say it's somewhat hearsay. Regardless, it's not like he's writing anything for current Mayhem- hell, he wasn't even on the last album. He's more or less a live session member at this point. Totally agree about "GDoW", by the way. It's a fantastic album, minus the late-90s electro track that really dates the album in hindsight.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next