Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:50 pm 

What do you guys think of this underrated Thrash band? I actually enjoyed some of their latest releases such as Killing Season and of course the Ultra Violence, though they had some lackluster moments in their second and third releases.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:55 pm 

I've only heard Relentless Retribution and some material from The Ultra-Violence. Relentless Retribution very much reminded me of what the newer Kreator albums have done in that they combined their old 80s sound with modern influences. Outside of that, though, never really had the interest to check them out.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:14 am 

I've heard the first 2 albums and only cared for the Ultra Violence which I find to be a great example of bay area thrash. The second album I remember being boring. I heard the song Dethroned and didn't like it at all. Had a lot of nu metal in it and sounded like shit so I won't bother with any of their new stuff.

Last edited by AcidWorm on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:15 am 

They're an extremely average band, really. The Ultra-Violence has some great tunes and a lot of youthful vigour, but beyond that, they're not something with a lot of staying power.

BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:22 am 

I had a couple of their tapes that I didn't get all that much out of but then I saw them live 2-3 years ago. They played for almost an hour and a half and it was ace!

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:34 am 

My introduction to them was through Relentless Retribution, which was considerably underwhelming. The only thing I really remember about it was that I had to force myself to finish the album, which isn't really making me want to give it a second try. I still need to bring myself to listen to The Ultra-Violence, since I guess that's their most revered. I suppose I'll get to it one of these days.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:40 am 

This is coming from a guy who just said that he hasn't listened to the whole album, but The Ultra-Violence must be listened to. Why?

Because the title track was in a Carl's Jr commercial.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:44 am 

THRASH BURGER!!! :headbang:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:47 am 

The saddest part: there are no Carl's Jr's OR Hardee's in Connecticut.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:55 am 

Ultra-Violence was a fine example of the genre.

My opinion is that the lack of a solid follow-up took the wind out of their sails, and they didn't recover.

Hey - many bands can't even put together one decent album. So at least they accomplished that much.

Anyone heard their latest one?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:57 am 

I thought that first album they did, "The Ultraviolence" was awesome. Great thrash for it's time, one of my favorate albums from that era. They just seemed to lose focus, and went downhill after that. The second album was just all over the place musically, and it didn't really have that great of a sound quality either. "Act III" was okay, better, but still the songwriting wasn't quite what it had been. New stuff is sort of hit or miss.

Yeah I forgot about that Carls Jr. ad they did a couple years ago. Used "The Ultra-Violence" (the song) as the music for the commercial. I dunno; I always liked Jack in the Box better...

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:59 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I always liked Jack in the Box better...

Jack in the Box = guaranteed diarrhea.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:27 am 

Nope, no Jack in the Box's in Connecticut either. Hell, we only just got a Sonic here a couple years ago.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:28 am 

Average is right. Dark is the Angel that you wanna be listening to (Y)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:42 am 

Don't let BastardHead hear you say that. He impulsively goes into a mini-rant about how Darkness Descends is the most overrated thrash album ever at the mere sight of anyone recommending Dark Angel.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:49 am 

My introduction to them actually was Act III which is a solid album but could have used a bit more agression and energy. The Ultra Violence is of course the pinnacle of their career and the one release that makes them notworthy. Great record.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:04 am 

Apart from "The Ultra Violence", I am quite partial to "The Art of Dying". It's kinda of like what happened to Whiplash with "Stand, Sit, Kneel, Pray" - it's half thrash, half some-sort-of-modern-metal and I think it's not too bad at all. The following albums were trying to be thrash and just missed the mark. I'll still check out their next album though, "The Dream Calls for Blood" which I believe is out in October.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:08 am 

Am I the only one who loves Frolic Through The Park?

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:36 am 

i've only heard the ultraviolence, act III and whatever their latest one was called. i have to admit, i'm not really a fan but it's well-justified. the debut is admittedly good for a mindless thrashabout - don't do it sober, don't try to think, just absorb the riffs. act III is decent enough but painfully 2nd-tier - a couple of harmless, directionless mid-paced thrash numbers with a singer that makes joey belladonna sound above-average. rightly deserves its place, lost among a sea of similar albums from the early 90s. and the newer stuff... ew. modern nuclear blast-metal. vocal differences aside, you can barely distinguish death angel from heathen, exodus, or testament.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:08 am 

To me they're no more than a band for my friends to get confused with Dark Angel =/

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:39 am 

The Ultra-Violence is a great album. Everything else is crap. I hate their modern pseudo-thrash sound. They had potential back in the day but for whatever reason they threw it away.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:57 am 

CF_Mono wrote:
To me they're no more than a band for my friends to get confused with Dark Angel =/

I used to get them confused as well. :-P For the longest time, they were the two thrash bands with Angel in the name, starting with D, that I was supposed to check out. When I got Ultra-Violence and Darkness Descends, I finally became able to tell them apart... Somewhat.

Dark Angel -> Darkness Descends

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:21 am 

Not really familiar with their music, but caught them at Hellfest last year and they ripped, fantastic show.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:01 am 

I'm only familiar with The Art of Dying which wasn't very good. Because of that, I never felt the urge to check out the rest of their discography.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:57 am 

The Ultra Violence is great, although my first introduction to the band was Act III, which just feels a bit... dry and plain. Rice-cake thrash, in spite of how eclectic it is. Their later material definitely has it's moments though, although it feels like the band had to re-learn how to thrash from the ground up, like some sort of recovery from an injury, and they're not quite back to baseline yet. They've got a new record soon though, so the band are definitely on my radar again.

They put on a very, very good live show, or at least in my experience, I've not seen such an enthusiastic crowd and band together very often.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:05 am 

Fairly average to boring band. The Ultraviolence was good, but that's about it.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:31 am 

I really enjoy Death Angel. As most people have mentioned, The Ultra-Violence is a classic. Great riffs, songs, and a fantastic vocal performance (though Mark wasn't really on that many songs on the album). Frolic Through The Park is one of the few records of theirs I don't really like that much. There are some good songs, but it's a bit too long and misguided for me. Act III is an extremely diverse album with plenty to offer. "Seemingly Endless Time" and "A Room With A View" appropriately get most of the attention, but I also really enjoy "Discontinued", which is a really really weird track.

The comeback albums are all pretty similar, but I can't really get into The Art of Dying. Killing Season and Relentless Retribution are both really good. There are certainly some modernisms and they don't thrash throughout, but there are plenty of enjoyable songs. The albums could benefit from being a bit shorter, but I still like them and am looking forward to the new record.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:14 am 

I do like me some Death Angel though I have the odd thing where I've listened to more of their 2000s material than their classic stuff. Act III is a great album with a particularly excellent first half, Killing Season just might be my favorite, and I'm quite curious to see how The Dream Calls For Blood turns out. Still need to get The Ultra-Violence though.

IcedInferno
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:02 pm 

Like many stated The Ultra Violence is a classic and a must for any Thrash metal fans. I'm also familiar with Act III which is diverse and can be boring at some point but still has some good songs or riffs. Relentless Retribution is also really diverse but can be boring at some time.

I saw them live though and they totally kicked ass. They played the whole Ultra Violence album and my neck was sore for a week. They have a lot of energy and demand nothing less from the crowd. Great show!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:58 pm 

The Ultraviolence is a very good album, but there are a lot of great thrash albums from the same era that are better than it. However, the two albums the band followed it up with were not very good, and they were coming out at the wrong end of the 80s to achieve a lot of success. There was a combination of the band being very young, making an album and getting some recognition later in the 80s, and having a stretch of ~14 months from their great first album to mediocre second album that sort of condemned them. They really only had a ~5 year run between recording The Ultraviolence and splitting up, and once they were old enough to tour, that scene was burning out.

Their first two reunion albums weren't exactly great either, probably better than most of the rethrash crap of those years, but nothing I would bother to listen to again. Relentless Retribution was a very good album though, one of the better thrash albums of the last decade, and they have been getting some success from that.

Around 2008-09 they really started to tour again, put in road work to re-establish themselves. They had a decent legacy because they put out a classic thrash album and they were around back then. However, they pretty much only played local shows until around 1990, and at that point they had two crappy albums to support that came after their best one, and that's not the way to succeed in a dying scene. More recently, they have been getting credit, especially off of their last album, because it was a very good album. Killing Season was also a good album to play from live as they could play a solid five songs from it - much more than can be said of Frolic and Act, which have maybe 1-2 decent songs each. They worked hard, they earned it. However, it's still a band that only put out one good album before ~2010 and hadn't toured a lot, or even been around, which would explain why they didn't get a whole lot of recognition.

AngryFudge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:18 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
The Ultraviolence is a very good album, but there are a lot of great thrash albums from the same era that are better than it. However, the two albums the band followed it up with were not very good, and they were coming out at the wrong end of the 80s to achieve a lot of success. There was a combination of the band being very young, making an album and getting some recognition later in the 80s, and having a stretch of ~14 months from their great first album to mediocre second album that sort of condemned them. They really only had a ~5 year run between recording The Ultraviolence and splitting up, and once they were old enough to tour, that scene was burning out.

Their first two reunion albums weren't exactly great either, probably better than most of the rethrash crap of those years, but nothing I would bother to listen to again. Relentless Retribution was a very good album though, one of the better thrash albums of the last decade, and they have been getting some success from that. [...]

Yeah, pretty much this. Frolic was lackluster and the two following albums, I think, were mediocre, but Killing Season and Relentless Retribution kicked some serious ass.
I love Death Angel, and I really look forward to their forthcoming album. I heard it should be something like Relentless Retribution part 2.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 am 

I like Death Angel. Not love, but like. Granted, I've only heard Act III and Killing Season, the former of which I got into just recently, but seeing them live a couple years back opening for Anthrax and Testament proved to me that they're one of those "decent-discography-killer-live-show" bands.

The first I heard by them was Killing Season, which I got sometime in my freshman year of high school, probably because it was one of the few albums by a non-big-four thrash band that Best Buy had. My initial and current feelings were/are very much tepid-- the songwriting feels very basic and middle-of-the-road hard rock/thrash revival hybrid, with little else save maybe energy going for it. Not a fan.

Seeing them live in my senior year of high school, however, showed that at least in some capacity-- a live setting-- they definitely brought the goods. Insane energy, great interplay between the crowd (most of whom probably weren't there for them), and a tight, lean setlist. One of the better opening bands, hell even live bands period I've seen.

Around a month ago (mostly because it was cheap), I picked up Act III. I understand the issues some have with this album, but I personally really like it; I feel it does a great job of melding fairly technical thrash with funk/acoustic/hard rock influences, with great musicianship and production to boot. Not amazing, or in a top five/ten list of the best thrash albums, but definitely a personal favorite.

I should probably listen to the Ultra-Violence, aside from that Carl's Jr commercial.

Dustin Dyson 666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:51 am 

My only exposure to Death Angel was Act III, a customer at my old job who used to be into metal gave me that album and that King Diamond/Mercyful Fate compilation. Wasn't too impressed with Act III.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:49 am 

Too much comedy and the guy's voice I find mostly irritating, apart from that I really dig them :nods:

I have these:
Death Angel - Relentless Retribution (Nuclear Blast, Nuclear Blast - NB 2634-2, 2634-2) CD, Album + DVD + , Ltd, Dig 2010
Death Angel - The Art Of Dying (Nuclear Blast, Nuclear Blast - NB 1233-2, 1233-2) CD, Album 2004
Death Angel - Frolic Through The Park (Enigma Records (3) - D1-73332) LP, Album 1988

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:26 am 

Always thought they were incredibly average. Just skipped to a track on III though and its actually pretty funky.

Crypt Infektor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:12 am 

My first introduction to them was Act III. Though I do dig Seemingly Endless Time, Disturbing the Peace and the experimental vibe of Discontinued...the whole album just didn't do anything for me after repeated listens.

The Ultra-Violence though. Fuck yes.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:16 pm 

They are good but kinda inconsistent. As stated by the majority their debut full-length "The Ultra-Violence" is their greatest achievement so far. Loaded with orgasmic speed/thrash riffage and Osegueda's excellent vocal work it's a must have for die-hard thrashers and metalheads in general. "Act III" and "The Art of Dying" are somewhat moderately decent with some hard rock/grunge influences thrown in but "Relentless Retribution" marked their return to form and I'm excited for the new one.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:44 pm 

The Ultra-Violence is a classic. Nobody can take that from them.
Frolic was okay, but kinda lame. Act III was a step up, but still nowhere as good as the debut. The Art was a nice collection of songs, but it didn't feel like an album.
However, now they've been on a roll, and they've ALWAYS been awesome live. Can't wait for October 18th for the show. A copy of the new album with each ticket? YES PLEASE.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:24 am 

Yeah, I have the same opinion as most people on this. Their first album is an absolute 80s thrash classic with killer, blazing fast riffs all over the place. Its pretty hard to believe that the band members ages were like only 15-17 when they recording that.

Too bad everything they did afterwards is pretty much worthless ranging from decent to horrible. Oh well, making one classic is better than what most bands do so it's hard to really complain about it.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 am 

New track streaming here from the upcoming album -

http://www.deathangel.us/#!music-stream/c2j7

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next