Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:44 pm 

Matt Harvey and Gus Rios began this band after their involvement during the "Death to All" tours and mutual love for Death's early material. After abandoning the idea of forming their own incarnation of "DtA" to focus strictly on the first two albums, Harvey began writing songs specifically echoing that style. Recruiting Daniel Gonzalez (Possessed) and Robin Mazen (Derketa) to complete the lineup, Gruesome has now recorded five songs to date, with two of them linked below.

http://gruesomedeathmetal.bandcamp.com/ ... sed-casket <- Featuring a guest solo from James Murphy

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... -to-death/

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:32 pm 

Yeah, well... It's competently done and I share their enthusiasm for the early Death albums, but with such blatant aping all around, this is very little more than a tribute band. I mean there's "songs echoing that style", and then there's stuff like this where nearly every moment can be directly traced back to the specific moment of 'Leprosy' it's been lifted from... with "modern" production values (eg louder, colder and more compressed). I think I'd rather see an actual tribute band openly covering the original songs, honestly. It's not likely I'll feel any incentive to give those tracks another listen.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:18 am 

I'll check this out...

"You make it easy."

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:38 am 

If you are going to ape a style or band great one to do so. I'll check it when i can, can't run streaming on bandcamp on this computer for whatever reason.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Rykov
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:00 pm 

Yeah, there's really no question about it: this is basically Leprosy if Bill Andrews weren't such an unimaginably boring drummer (I honestly was led to believe Closed Casket was a cover of Primitive Ways for a few seconds). It's competently executed, but there's nothing particularly exceptional about it.
I said, I just want to know you and then disappear.
you said, knowing me does not mean dying.

My (ever-shifting, constantly developing) top 100 album list

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:31 am 

This rules considering those are the only good Death albums. Stoked to hear more.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:40 am 

:headbang:

"You make it easy."

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:09 am 

Oh man, I was hoping Matt Harvey would do something with Dekapitator. I know this project started with good intentions but I don't think I can stomach such a similar sounding Death worship band. The song invoked a mild response from me. Let's see how this pans out.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:05 pm 

When did "ape" become a term for "copy"? First time I'm seeing it here.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:41 pm 

I dunno, a hundred years ago? Two hundred?

GLOAMING - Debut album out now! | COMA VOID | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:57 pm 

Ugh, Matt Harvey is such a terrible vocalist. Very weak, and the production's a little modern for this style of death metal.

Amber Gray
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:57 pm 

Apparently the first known use was in 1632.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:02 pm 

Cool! Songs were badass. I'm going to listen to a playlist comprised of "Closed Casket" and "Open Casket" and loop it for the rest of the day.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:42 pm 

I kinda hope the drums are a little faster on some songs. Even Bill Andrews played faster than that on Leprosy.

Otherwise not bad so far. I'm all for some Leprosy/Spiritual Healing worship.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:27 pm 

I tend to agree with Legendmaker on this one occasion. It's simply not taking enough liberties with the source material and sounds too similar to other songs. Whereas a band like Gladiator took Sepultura's thrash sound and made it their own riff-wise, Gruesome just copies without being an exact copy.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:45 pm 

If I can offer an advocate's opinion, those two songs I initially posted were just the demo versions of what will eventually be on the album. Will the final versions be ultimately different structurally? Likely not, but I'd imagine the performances will be better with all four members contributing, and probably some guests, and the production a little more appropriate for the material.

My anticipation is coming from a place where this style of thrash-influenced early death metal seems to be at a minimum in regards to OSDM tribute/worship/etc. these days. While I'm enamored with the Immolation/Incantation/Gorguts influences that are so prevalent today, I've always had a soft spot for that short window of late '80s and early '90s deathrash that straddled that line, and I'm fine with chalking this up as another slab to the pile. Nothing more or less than that.

Oh, and Dekapitator deserves a much better fate than they've had, I just don't see a proper conclusion coming with all the momentum Exhumed's garnered to this point. They'll probably be doing a bit of support for the Gore Metal rerecording for the year.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:43 am 

new track...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Ls2ubsXmXQ

:headbang:

"You make it easy."

true_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:21 am 

Pretty good, but Morgoth did this kind of thing a lot better on "The Eternal Fall" & "Cursed" albums. This just doesn't have a lot of personality, it sounds exactly like Death and there is no aspect of it that comes from the real members of the band. That said, riffs are catchy, drums are good, and the vocals are nice. Album cover looks stupid though, I get why they chose Repka but he's pretty hit-or-miss, especially nowadays.

As big a fan of early Death as I am, I'd be more interested to hear a band try and replicate and expand on the "Human" sound. Still brutal as fuck and catchy old school death, but also with some more progressive ideas. A lot of the current bands like Decrepit Birth, are great at what they do but I would like to hear a band bridge the gap, with some progressive elements but also keep itself on the ground somewhat. I've never heard anyone try that before in modern times.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:56 pm 

true_death wrote:
Pretty good, but Morgoth did this kind of thing a lot better on "The Eternal Fall" & "Cursed" albums. This just doesn't have a lot of personality, it sounds exactly like Death and there is no aspect of it that comes from the real members of the band. That said, riffs are catchy, drums are good, and the vocals are nice. Album cover looks stupid though, I get why they chose Repka but he's pretty hit-or-miss, especially nowadays.

As big a fan of early Death as I am, I'd be more interested to hear a band try and replicate and expand on the "Human" sound. Still brutal as fuck and catchy old school death, but also with some more progressive ideas....

You need Pestifer and Dehuman, my friend

Dehuman:

Youtube: show

Pestifer:

Listen and enjoy!

:np:

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:12 pm 

I'm surprised this band is catching any flak. They sound fantastic to me, and this is probably my most-anticipated death metal record in a long time.

putrenista
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:56 am 

Well, count me in for the cassette version. Reminds me a bit of that Italian band Insane, who were paying tribute to the sound of the first Slayer album. Obviously I don't mean the two sound alike, but just in the way they are both trying to replicate a certain era of an important band.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/In ... Pray/75221

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:04 pm 

Sounds good to me, looking forward to it. The cover is a bit comical.

Edit: Pre-ordered!

Aeosphorus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:51 pm 

I don't have any more patience for retro-kvlt-revival-cosplay of the 80s bands. I tribute would have more dignity.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:43 am 

That cover art is completely awful. Also what's the deal with those ludicrously clicky bass drums in what is otherwise a pretty decent production?

Anyway I find myself caring less and less about this. Pass.

GLOAMING - Debut album out now! | COMA VOID | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:07 am 

true_death wrote:
As big a fan of early Death as I am, I'd be more interested to hear a band try and replicate and expand on the "Human" sound. Still brutal as fuck and catchy old school death, but also with some more progressive ideas. A lot of the current bands like Decrepit Birth, are great at what they do but I would like to hear a band bridge the gap, with some progressive elements but also keep itself on the ground somewhat. I've never heard anyone try that before in modern times.

I'm gonna add to what Machine_Dead showed you and mention "Incarnated" by Obscura.

It's basically a modern take on prog-era Death, and considering Obscura do not disappoint, it makes for one killer track.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

French Toast
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:13 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
That cover art is completely awful. Also what's the deal with those ludicrously clicky bass drums in what is otherwise a pretty decent production?

Anyway I find myself caring less and less about this. Pass.

Yeah where are the basketball kicks?????????? I thought this was supposed to be Leprosy

fourrobert13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:31 am 

FYI, You can go to their bandcamp site and download 2 songs for free (closed casket & savage land). I got a new track from the album on March 2nd since I pre-ordered this from Amazon. For those interested.

ETA: Scratch my above statement, doesn't look like the 2songs are available anymore. I'm looking forward to this album and like the 3 songs I've heard so far.

Reply to topic