Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:03 pm 

Will Nokturnal Mortum's upcoming album be released this year or will it be delayed due to the Conflicts in Ukraine?

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:32 pm 

The band is still very active despite the conflict, but another issue is that Saturious (co-writer, keyboard- and traditional instrument-player) just left the band.

the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:19 pm 

Thanks for the info!

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:09 am 

samekh wrote:
The band is still very active despite the conflict, but another issue is that Saturious (co-writer, keyboard- and traditional instrument-player) just left the band.

Awful news, is there any official statement?

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:23 am 

Yes, on their Facebook page. Here's the statement:
Quote:
Saturious is no more the member of Nokturnal Mortum. It was a mutual decision, and we are friends still. On 13th of July in Kharkiv he will play his final concert with us. We shall continue walking our path without him and wish him all the best and express our gratitude for his contribution to legacy of Nokturnal Mortum!

And in the comments, Nokturnal Mortum said:
Quote:
Still there is a possibility that Saturious will help band as session studio member.

A lot of changes in the band lately but I'm eagerly looking forward to The Voice of Steel's follow-up.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:03 am 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
Yes, on their Facebook page. Here's the statement:
Quote:
Saturious is no more the member of Nokturnal Mortum. It was a mutual decision, and we are friends still. On 13th of July in Kharkiv he will play his final concert with us. We shall continue walking our path without him and wish him all the best and express our gratitude for his contribution to legacy of Nokturnal Mortum!

And in the comments, Nokturnal Mortum said:
Quote:
Still there is a possibility that Saturious will help band as session studio member.

A lot of changes in the band lately but I'm eagerly looking forward to The Voice of Steel's follow-up.

Thanks!!

If he continues as a studio member it would be great. The Voice of Steel was a true masterpiece so I am very excited with the new album.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:05 am 

There's a new song in this video at the 6th minute.
Youtube: show

According to their FB, it's titled "Eight Days to Spring".

You smoke your own shit?! FUUUUUUU

The Grief of Oriana
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:30 pm 

I have a feeling this may have something to do with the ideological shift they seem to be taking further with this next album, just look at Saturious' side project Finist for an example of how strong his nationalistic views where. True shame as he is an exceptional musician.

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:17 pm 

If that video Wilytank posted is anything to go by, I actually really dug the new song. It sounds a little more jig-y than Voice of Steel but I mean they played Ukraine after that new song and it sounded even more like giddy campfire music live than it does in the studio, so who knows. The predecessor to this album will be really hard to top, but I think these guys can pull it out of their ass. I can only imagine the current turmoil in their home nation will add fuel to the ideological fire.

SKYLESS AEONS -- Melodic death/black metal. Era of Famine out now!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:07 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
It sounds a little more jig-y than Voice of Steel but I mean they played Ukraine after that new song and it sounded even more like giddy campfire music live than it does in the studio, so who knows.

As long as they don't jigify "My Dream Islands", I'm all for it.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:16 pm 

That song sounded great, the guitar melody was unconventional and awesome sounding!

metaller92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:39 am 

the_heathen wrote:
Will Nokturnal Mortum's upcoming album be released this year or will it be delayed due to the Conflicts in Ukraine?

I think it will be in this year. Nokturnal Mortum's from Kharkov, there all's alright.

People from USA interested about NM? I'm surprised :)

metaller92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:41 am 

Wilytank wrote:
There's a new song in this video at the 6th minute.
Youtube: show

According to their FB, it's titled "Eight Days to Spring".

Money from this concerts went to terror on Donbass :(

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:42 am 

metaller92 wrote:

Really? As far I've been aware NM has a pretty respectable following around here; I know not everyone liked their "bouncy folk" phase (though I thought Weltenschaung was pretty good) but Lunar Poetry, Goat Horns and Voice of Steel in particular are all held in pretty high regard.

Ambient techno @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/eastward | https://soundcloud.com/valcove

metaller92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:03 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
metaller92 wrote:

Really? As far I've been aware NM has a pretty respectable following around here; I know not everyone liked their "bouncy folk" phase (though I thought Weltenschaung was pretty good) but Lunar Poetry, Goat Horns and Voice of Steel in particular are all held in pretty high regard.

Hm, I'm double surprising :-D I didn't know about as much popularity this band, well then I pride for it.

(sorry for my English, I'm just study).

the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:12 am 

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my late mother's family are of Slavic origin.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:27 am 

I've never really cared for them at all, although I laud the their ambition I suppose...but yeah, they are huge around here too, for a semi-underground metal band at least. THeir music is just the sort of thing that appeals to both "serious" black metal fans and fun-loving folksters. I know several people in this city (which hardly has the biggest scene in NOrth America) with shirts, patches, etc, and my bassist totally worships the band.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

metaller92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:28 am 

the_heathen wrote:
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my late mother's family are of Slavic origin.

I doubt. You like Nokturnal Mortum, family roots not being. :)

the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
I know several people in this city (which hardly has the biggest scene in NOrth America) with shirts, patches, etc, and my bassist totally worships the band.

I wish I knew anyone like that.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:41 am 

IN a few years they'll probably be playing paganfest along with bands like Arkona (Rus) and Tyr...I think they're already "bigger" than both of them.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:19 pm 

metaller92 wrote:

metaller92 wrote:

:roll:

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:39 am 

Wilytank wrote:
metaller92 wrote:

metaller92 wrote:

:roll:

:durr: Last I checked we weren't indiscriminately shelling civilian population.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:59 pm 

There has been some activities on their Facebook page today.

New logo!

And a statement from Varggoth (I think): EDIT: Fuck, it's an eyesore to read...
Quote:
As well as a person who has many-sided world-view with its twists and turns, NOKTURNAL MORTUM – the band, which evolves in parallel with my own personal development – can’t stay the same. Many things change over time, because we learn and understand more deeply and comprehensively. Today it would be silly to stay the one who I was at my birth – life means learning, therefore we grow up and become wiser. Unlike many others, I don’t refuse my past – it’s a legacy which made me who I am now, and that is more than just important. Today I don’t share many views that I had in the past because of very different reasons – something was just husk, something disappointed me, something just does not matter. Nonetheless, I have been keeping music for myself as an instrument for self-development. The fact is that very kind of activity makes me leave behind well-known places and trails in search of myself. And this is what most important. Not number of CD sales, gigs, fame and other rubbish, but this. We have been walking a long way together and we have seen a lot with our music, we visited different places and we passed through different changes of our own personalities. Everything that I have said and done still lives in me because all this is what I am. I never lied and I am not going to lie further. If I claim something, this means that it is true at the present time; if I am not sure in something, I remain silent. For instance, when nowadays I am asked about my political views, I answer that I am out of this, and it’s true. I’ve seen a lot and I understand that this is not my side. As for religion, it’s not easy question neither, because it’s a very essence of man that should evolve over time. The person should not ossify and get stale, but always move forward to achieve the goal instead. All this has been reflected and will be reflected in my creative output. If it is interesting for you, you are free to walk with us towards this light together.
On account of what I said, a lot will be changed. Our logo, for example. It is no longer possible for NOKTURNAL MORTUM to exist under our old logo. With every new album we are born once again, and I am convinced that this is truly how the things are supposed to be. Every new album means new life and new view. Also I decided that on future re-editions of our works for every album we shall use the logo under which it was created. The same goes for artwork, layout etc. At least, we will work on this. Verity is in every one of you. Follow it!

SculptedCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:11 pm 

Oh man, that's such a beautiful logo. My favourite of theirs yet.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:21 pm 

With their shift of ideologies, it seems that songs from my favorite album, NeChrist, will be less and less in the set lists. I personally prefer that album and To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire more than anything else from them. However, their last album was monumental and I surely hope they make it over to the US. Varggoth did tell me once though in regards to them playing the USA: "maybe in the next life."
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:26 pm 

Perhaps this progression of Nokturnal Mortum is "the next life?" We can only hope!

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:10 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
metaller92 wrote:

nechrist owns b/c slavic nazis hillbilly singing is cool

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:24 pm 

Yeah, it's pretty surreal when they go 100% merry and folky! Reminded me of certain Windir songs, and that banjo solo in that Taake song.

NeChrist has really grown on me this year. Behind that chaotic symphonic black metal, there is some quality songwriting, and those folk sections are too catchy. My personal favourite is that folk finale on "In the Fire of Wooden Churches". Makes me want to dance!

MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:23 pm 

No inverted crosses? No swastikas? No Thor's hammer? :scratch:

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:28 pm 

My favourite from NeChrist is The Call of Aryan Spirit. It's so fucking mean and in comes the hoedown-section, sweet...

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:59 pm 

My one tiny complaint with NeChrist is that the guitars are not very defined, as in I can't make out the riffs when it's full speed ahead. It all becomes a barrage of drums and keyboards. But damn Munruthel gave a fucking great drum performance on the album and it's also Varggoth's best vocal performance he's ever done. I don't care for his deeper voice now.

It's hard to pick a favorite but Call of Aryan Spirit is probably the most vicious song in their entire catalog. Death Damnation is another that's vastly under-appreciated. The title track and Jesus' Blood also offer interesting things. And of course The Funeral Wind Born In Oriana gave us that intro that they've been using for every album since. I guess now it's official that they'll never play any of these songs live.

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:41 am 

The new logo is so folkie, I love it.

And about the statemment, its interesting and it shows, unlike some opinions, that NK may evolve to a less political band, which I think is good.

I hope there will be soon some news regarding the new album!

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:20 am 

Fantastic logo. And thinking about the logo, it's lucky they chose such a neutral band name. Had they gone for something more satanic/antichristian more along the lines with some of their older lyrics, they might have been forced to change that too. Nokturnal Mortum suits a more folk-oriented band just as well.

PDS
The Young One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:16 am 

Hmmm the new logo is interesting. A lot more nature based. There were sketches of other ideas for Nokturnal Mortum logos and a lot of them looked to shamanistic. This logo will probably go along great with more nature-oriented album covers (maybe ala Kogaion Art)...

The one thing that stands out more than the logo is Vraggoth's statement on not changing the old logo or layout/artwork for albums that might get re-released along with his acknowledgement of how he was in the past. I see a lot of NS people/bands try to bury that past under the bus when they grow out of it and never mention it.

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
All I meant to say was that the band's name doesn't sound ballsy enough for me to listen to it

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:51 pm 

This is the mic stand Varggoth uses now. No joke.

BasqueStorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:41 pm 

raumr wrote:
There has been some activities on their Facebook page today.

Thanks! I don't really like the logo.

Wilytank wrote:
This is the mic stand Varggoth uses now. No joke.

And thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/nokturnalmortumofficial

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:15 pm 

In some ways, they are going back to older styles, such as wearing corpsepaint again. I've been on a Nokturnal Mortum binge lately and they are definitely in my top 5 bands at the moment.

That mic stand kicks some serious ass too.

MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:20 pm 

The mic stand is hokey as fuck, just like the pseudo-shaman outfit.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:04 pm 

Yeah, I think that stage getup is cool as fuck. If you're going to be theatrical, may as well go all-out.

Ambient techno @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/eastward | https://soundcloud.com/valcove

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:59 am 

DaBuddha wrote:
In some ways, they are going back to older styles, such as wearing corpsepaint again. I've been on a Nokturnal Mortum binge lately and they are definitely in my top 5 bands at the moment.

That mic stand kicks some serious ass too.

+1, awesome mich stand, really.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next