Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CradleOfBurzum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:16 am 

Dani Filth confirmed in a recent interview that they are working on a new mix for their "Cruelty And The Beast" album and that it should be out by 2018 to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the album. Dani talks about this here after the first question is asked - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZP2TEf36Xg

Picture of them working on the mix on Protools - https://www.facebook.com/cradleoffilth/ ... =3&theater

More details here - http://www.punktastic.com/radar/dani-fi ... hed-to-it/

Last edited by CradleOfBurzum on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:31 am 

Its interesting because I consider it a nearly perfect album with a quite weak production. The final result could be impressive if they do a good job.

Thoth Amon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:25 am 

I haven't spun that album in years. Having said that I remember nothing wrong with the production and mix at all save for perhaps the clicky bass drums.

Epic black/thrash.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:35 am 

I actually figured out the real problem with the drums recently: the snare and the kicks sound almost identical. That complete lack of contrast and the excessively dry mix leaves the drums sounding like an annoying tick-tock sound with no dynamics of any sort.

Zephirus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:49 am 

dont really see a need for this, sounds fine to me already

more interested in the dusk... recordings. even then though, unless it was a complete disaster first time round, re-recordings dont do a lot for me

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:52 am 

Zephirus wrote:

more interested in the dusk... recordings. even then though, unless it was a complete disaster first time round, re-recordings dont do a lot for me

It's the total opposite of a re-recording... the 1996 version was a re-recording of an unreleased album, which is what's coming out next month.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:20 am 

chaossphere wrote:
I actually figured out the real problem with the drums recently: the snare and the kicks sound almost identical. That complete lack of contrast and the excessively dry mix leaves the drums sounding like an annoying tick-tock sound with no dynamics of any sort.

The drums need to be re-recorded, they sound quite weak.

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:17 pm 

Unlike most, I have no qualms about the production. In fact, I quite like the drum sound.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:28 pm 

Now this is a reworking that could make sense and could turn out very satisfying.
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:30 pm 

As far as I remember, one of the main reasons Nick Barker gave as to why he left CoF, was precisely because he was unhappy with the drum sound on the "Cruelty..." album. Just imagine that album with the "Dusk..." drum sound :)

Xenokrist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:08 pm 

The production to my ears was part of that magic and atmosphere of that album. Almost feels like I'm really in a gothic castle. That being said, I wouldn't mind if they fixed the clicky bass drums, and as someone already said, the snares that sound almost exactly the same as said bass drum.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:03 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
The drums need to be re-recorded, they sound quite weak.

They could just as easily be fixed without going to that extreme. Either by automated trigger replacement or re-EQing the whole kit so the kicks have more low-end punch and the snare has more snap and impact.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:45 pm 

I listened to Cruelty for the first time in awhile last night and still have no qualms with it. The drums are as weak as can be but are discernible, and I feel lend to the schlocky Hammer horror atmosphere of the album. Still curious what the remix will sound like, and if it's really superb it may even replace the original when I'm in the mood to spin the album.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:20 pm 

This edited live version from DVD sounds better than album version:
Youtube: show

Sarah Jezebel Deva can be heard clearly and drums sound better. Only Dani's voice is worse, but still better than nowadays.

Death is a Gateway
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:32 am 

Are you fucking kidding me? He sounds MILLION times better now than he did back then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouW71pUxHbE

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:39 am 

^ Wow! What a performance! It's great to see the band in such a good shape.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:54 pm 

Death is a Gateway wrote:
Are you fucking kidding me? He sounds MILLION times better now than he did back then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouW71pUxHbE

I'm aware of that performance, Dani is obviously improved, but his voice gets tired more quickly now. On the other videos from 2015 and 2016 he sounds less impressive than in the videos we both shared. All in all, I'm glad he's taking care.

CradleOfBurzum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:45 pm 

So, forget about that early 2017 release date. It has now been pushed back to 2018 to celebrate the 20th year anniversary of the album.

"One thing we had to move actually was a remaster and remix of ‘Cruelty and the Beast’.” Earlier this year Dani Filth entered the studio with a producer to test the waters and “re-vamp” the songs that make up ‘Cruelty and The Beast’. ‘Cruelty and The Beast’ was a major success for Cradle of Filth and pushed them onto the “international stage” but all in all Dani was never really satisfied with the final outcome. “Cruelty’ was such a game changer for us and having been in the studio with my hand on a couple of tracks alongside a producer, it just sounds so much better.”

"Having already started to undertake the project, it’s now been put back until 2018 so that the re-release will correspond with the albums 20th anniversary. “It’s going to be great because it’s an amazing album, but the drum sound sucked and everything had to be built on top of that!” The album is going to be re-mixed and mastered but Dani insists that there are no changes in the overall tone or mood of the album. “We haven’t stripped it bare to just the audio files, it’s still got all the atmosphere but we’ve just started with the drums and worked our way up. It just sounds phenomenally bigger and better. It’s like labouring down a bridge, you can’t put too much weight on it. We’re bolstering it up and we’ve already done a couple of mixes which sound fantastic. We’re also going to throw ‘Hallowed Be Thy Name’ into that mix as well as a bonus track.”

Source - http://www.punktastic.com/radar/dani-fi ... hed-to-it/

rexxz
Retired my ass!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:47 pm 

They should let me do it.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:31 pm 

I'm excited about this, it was one of the first metal albums I purchased! :)

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:18 pm 

Sounds like a cash grabber to me. Sure the production of this album has some flaws but I don't think that a remix will make a big differences. Even so, I will probably check it out (as long as they don't re-record the vocals, I cannot bear Dani's actual worn down voice); this is, along with Dusk and Her Embrace, one of the only COF albums that I really like.

SlevinKelevra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:11 pm 

I guess someone still believes turds can be polished.

Thoth Amon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:38 pm 

Dr_Prozac wrote:
Sounds like a cash grabber to me. Sure the production of this album has some flaws but I don't think that a remix will make a big differences. Even so, I will probably check it out (as long as they don't re-record the vocals, I cannot bear Dani's actual worn down voice); this is, along with Dusk and Her Embrace, one of the only COF albums that I really like.

The early albums with Barker were all solid

Epic black/thrash.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:15 am 

By this point I'll be glad if this eventually sees the light of day. Maybe I'm growing jaded, but when records gets delayed over and over it's hardly a good sign. Then again, Midnight in the Labyrinth existed as a vague concept for years and we did get that in the end.

I'm so curious about this because Cruelty is one of my favorite albums and I'd love to hear how the atmosphere would come through with a little more polish on its rough spots.
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:46 am 

"Some flaws" are what you call it that with two guitars and one bass you have 16 strings in total and can barely hear a single one under the overpowering keyboards and the sounds of Michael J. Fox resting his hands on a typewriter...

We all secretly loved Wesley Crusher.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:23 am 

Thoth Amon wrote:
Dr_Prozac wrote:

The early albums with Barker were all solid

Barker is a great drummer but the production of the drums is really weak on that album.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:59 pm 

I remember when I first heard "Lustmord and Wargasm" (I just got the pun...), it was the first one I heard from that album, and I didn't even notice that the drums entered. They had no power, just a clicky type-writer layer along with the guitars.

Still, I am very fond of this album, and I don't know if that is despite of its flaws, or because of them. Making the drums more powerful might help it, or it might take away the magic.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:16 am 

raumr wrote:
I remember when I first heard "Lustmord and Wargasm" (I just got the pun...), it was the first one I heard from that album, and I didn't even notice that the drums entered. They had no power, just a clicky type-writer layer along with the guitars.

Still, I am very fond of this album, and I don't know if that is despite of its flaws, or because of them. Making the drums more powerful might help it, or it might take away the magic.

It could be but if they make a good job they should work. Kauan is a good example of how to re-record old songs, make them to sound heavier but still keeping all the melodies and beautiful atmosphere.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:54 pm 

Idk, I think the reason I love this albums is coz of the production. By far the most atmospheric thing they have ever done and coupled with the themes and the pictures in the booklet it all worked together. Would definitely be interested in hearing this as the songs are great by themselves so would be cool to hear with better production but I think its individual magic and charm could be lost.

Reply to topic