Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 2914
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:08 pm 
 

I met Kalmah up in Canada. Coolest dudes ever.

Top
 Profile  
TheNiceNightmare
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:11 pm
Posts: 2948
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:09 pm 
 

I dreamed I met Hammerfall once... does that count?
_________________
Don't play with matches!

Top
 Profile  
TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 3:44 am
Posts: 1664
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:51 pm 
 

TheNiceNightmare wrote:
I dreamed I met Hammerfall once... does that count?


You have to make that dream a reality, by any means necessary.
_________________
Blacksmith - Heavy Metal/Hard Rock from Sydney

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Top
 Profile  
the_empyreal_lexicon
Captured in Eternity's Eye

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:54 pm
Posts: 229
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:32 am 
 

had a smoke and some rum with Hoest from taake a few years ago backstage in london, he was sound as a pound. The sound guy they had with them got annoyed with eastern front ( support) for wanting to trigger the drums up so he cut a hole in the guys brand new bass head, everyone backstage was pissing themselves
_________________
Kvisling wrote:
"Dickenson sounds like he'd jump at the opportunity to lather you up".

Top
 Profile  
TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:47 pm
Posts: 1201
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:19 pm 
 

I'll back up anyone who's met Skeletonwitch and had a good experience. VERY nice dudes, and you can tell they don't force it.

I met Ralph Santolla at an Obituary show. By time I approached him he was obviously tanked. He corrected my pronunciation of his name and then signed a patch I was wearing. He wasn't particularly pleasant, but not much of a douche either. I met Frank Watkins at that same show. My buddy bought him a drink and he chatted with us for about 20 minutes in regards to upcoming Obituary tours and whatnot. He seemed very relaxed and pleasant.

Also met Joel Grind. He was very polite and happy to discuss his upcoming work. We also talked about how much he was enjoying the current (at the time) Black Dahlia Murder tour as opposed to the Napalm Death tour he was on previously.

I met Barney Greenway, but all I did was smile and wave at him like a moron. He just kinda nodded and said 'How ya doin'?'
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/RooBadley

Top
 Profile  
unclevladistav
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:33 pm
Posts: 1317
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:22 am 
 

Played with Ash Borer/Ruin Lust on their most recent tour and repeatedly tried to engage in conversation with a few of them (having made contact online and over the phone prior), but they seemed content to hang out with each other and ignore everyone at the show. Made it easier to be able to write them off after anyway...their live sound sucked on account of them turning their amps up WAY too loud and not knowing how to EQ properly. The drummer was the only cool one who didn't act like he was too good to talk to us, and after they played I heard him (sounding very frustrated) complaining, saying he couldn't hear a thing.

Total opposite experience when I got a chance to play a show with Velnias. Nicest dudes ever, talked to Paul for a bit about Leech, and they were all extremely thankful and supportive (despite the fact that it was probably our worst show ever, in terms of performance). Coolest dudes, incredible live show/sound as well.

Top
 Profile  
OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:56 pm
Posts: 586
Location: A smoldering ruin with wi-fi, Chechnya
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:03 pm 
 

the guitarists from Aborted, Eran and Michael, are two of the coolest musicians i've ever met. They were hanging around outside Fubar in st.louis after they finished their set I went up to em and told em they played a great set and Eran was super kind to us, he seemed genuinely happy that we enjoyed their music and we ended up smoking with them right out in the open streets of st.louis. We ended up missing cattle decapitation's set and just stayed outside chatting with them.
_________________
"...But the bottom line is, I ain't shook, 'cause if the right hook comes out crazy muthafuckers like you get knocked out. Don't be lookin' me in the eyes boy, I ain't got no candy for you. NOOO candy."

Top
 Profile  
Paka01
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 12:34 pm
Posts: 265
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:47 pm 
 

I'm going to Soulfly, Paradise Lost and Accept shows next month, so has anybody met those guys before/after the shows?
I want to bring some CDs with me to get some signatures, but I'm not sure if I'll have oportunity to talk to anybody from those bands if they're douchebags.
_________________
Band covers and artwork:
Kocka Graphics on Facebook

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 235
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:00 pm 
 

I've heard that Max is a dick, but other than that, I don't know.

Top
 Profile  
enigmatech
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm
Posts: 321
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:57 pm 
 

Last year I met Frank Mullen. I didn't get to talk with him for long, but I just told him that he was a huge influence on my vocals (his growls on "Effigy..." convinced me to drop high-range vocals for good), and asked him how he achieved the growl he had on that album, and he said "...well, if you take your hands and put them over the mic, you can get a more inhuman sound" (or something to that effect). He seemed like a nice guy. I also talked to Derek Boyer about bass guitar for awhile, and he also seemed like a really fun guy. I got to talk to him about all the bands he's in and how he manages the time for all of them, and how he achieves that extremely powerful and sharp, monster of a bass sound he has through using his fingers as opposed to using a pick. I can't remember much about the other guys, but Terrence Hobbs seemed like a really fun guy who loves being around the fans, and I remember Mike Smith coming across as more professional and perhaps a bit soft-spoken. Can't remember anything about the other guitarist other than that it wasn't until that show that I became aware that both he and Mike Smith had shaved their heads. I got his signature (along with all the members) but I just can't remember anything about him.

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 235
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:34 pm 
 

About Mike Smith... yeah, Bill Robinson told me that he was an arrogant, self-aggrandizing dick with SERIOUS anger issues who was known for assaulting musicians from other bands on a regular basis (as well as his own bandmates, for that matter) who had a bad habit of hearing things wrong and then flying off the handle (several of the attacks on other musicians were due to his erroneous belief that one of them dropped an n-bomb; one of these involved one of the dudes from Dehumanized, who wound up spending almost a week in the hospital). He left because he didn't feel like touring after being told by Frank and Terrance that his choices were "do the full tour or sit it out and forfeit any money made from the tour that would have been yours", so he threw a bitchfit, quit on the spot, and then proceeded to take all of their gear that was at his house, LIGHT IT ON FIRE, and text them pics of their destroyed gear. Yeah, Mike's a real class act.


Last edited by Frank Booth on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
BBEdrummerAK
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:05 pm
Posts: 85
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:58 pm 
 

Fuck, how could I have forgotten about seeing Unearth up here, when Gene Hoglan was touring with them. He was more soft spoken than I thought he'd be, and stoked to take pics with me and my friends. Jerry Only of the Misfits was rad as hell too! Brock from 36CF lives up here and is a super nice guy, not to mention a beast to mosh with at local metal shows!

Top
 Profile  
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:27 pm
Posts: 1148
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:25 pm 
 

Frank Booth wrote:
About Mike Smith... yeah, Bill Robinson told me that he was an arrogant, self-aggrandizing dick with SERIOUS anger issues who was known for assaulting musicians from other bands on a regular basis (as well as his own bandmates, for that matter) who had a bad habit of hearing things wrong and then flying off the handle (several of the attacks on other musicians were due to his erroneous belief that one of them dropped an n-bomb; one of these involved one of the dudes from Dehumanized, who wound up spending almost a week in the hospital). He left because he didn't feel like touring after being told by Frank and Terrence that his choices were "do the full tour or sit it out and forfeit any money made from the tour that would have been yours", so he threw a bitchfit, quit on the spot, and then proceeded to take all of their gear that was at his house, LIGHT IT ON FIRE, and text them pics of their destroyed gear. Yeah, Mike's a real class act.

what the fuck am I reading? Wow, did not expect that at all!
_________________
محارب البلاك ميتال

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 235
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:30 pm 
 

Quoth Bill: "You wanna know the real reason why Mike left? It was because he was a fucking asshole!"

Top
 Profile  
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:27 pm
Posts: 1148
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:31 pm 
 

He set fire to all of Hobbs' BC Rich guitars. . . . jesus h christ.
_________________
محارب البلاك ميتال

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 235
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:42 pm 
 

Also, Bill said that Mike's anger issues were bad enough that Terrance actually forced him to take anger management classes if he didn't want to get kicked out of the band a few years back after Frank, Terrance, and Derek had to physically drag him away from a confrontation that, once again, spawned from something that Mike had misperceived.

Top
 Profile  
Hircine
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:13 pm
Posts: 934
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:16 pm 
 

Came in here to tlak about meeting Entombed/Amon Amarth, seen that I'd already done that. Haven't met anyone between those posts. Bugger.

EDIT: No, I had a bit of banter with Barney Greeway when I semi-passed out drunk at their show (I was right up the front, by the barrier). Funny guy.
_________________
Life is your worst enemy.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Top
 Profile  
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 1102
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 am 
 

Number one on the list of 'cool dudes' has to be King Fowley (Deceased, October 31, etc.). I've met him a couple of times and chat with him on Facebook from time to time. He's very laid-back, hilarious, and dedicated to his fans. I'm glad to support someone like that, even besides the fact that Deceased and October 31 rule.

Anders Nyström (Katatonia, Diabolical Masquerade, Bloodbath, etc.) was also awesome. I met him in 2006, and brought a stack of liner notes for him to sign. I'm talking the original 'Jhva Elohim Meth' demo (which I bought from him years before on eBay), the Bewitched 'Hellspell' demo, and all my Katatonia, Bloodbath, and Diabolical Masquerade stuff. He was blown away when he saw my collection, and extremely grateful. I felt a little bad dropping all that on him, but he took his time, signed it all, and talked for a bit. He also complimented my Diabolical Masquerade shirt (which I've lost since then... there were only 48 made! grrr).

Met Gene Hoglan (everything) in 2005 before an SYL show. First off, this man is a giant. He's easily 11 feet tall. He was kind of quiet but still friendly.

I don't know if anyone knows who Steveggs is, but he was in Schnauzer and a bunch of other random bands. I shared a hotel room with him at MDF in 2010. What a guy! He showed up to the room high on coke and just rambled about... his life. It was hilarious. He's kind of an enigmatic fellow, and I've barely heard anything about him since then, but I'd love to meet him again.

John McIntee (Incantation) and Ross Dolan (Immolation) are super nice guys. I got a picture with both of them (separately) this past MDF.

Slutti666 (Impaled Nazarene) is fucking amazing. My friends and I got a picture with him last year after ImpNaz played MDF, and he was out of his mind drunk/high/something. As we were throwing the horns posing for the picture, he said, 'No! Middle fingers! Show your HATE!' Of course, we complied. When my friend asked what the best bands from Finland are, he said, 'Impaled Nazarene is the ONLY band from Finland!' Fair enough. =D

We hung out with Brocas Helm 8 years ago at Thrash Against Cancer, in San Francisco. They were awesome, down-to-earth guys. I bought a shirt from them (which I've lost, of course), and they gave us Brocas Helm poker chips! I still have those.

Others have mentioned George Fisher already, but I'll vouch for him too. Really cool dude. He was drunk and kept shaking our hands, as if we were the celebrities. (Again, this was at MDF.) He asked us where we were from. I said Georgia, my friend said Kansas, and he was amazed that we travelled all that way for MDF. I said, 'Metal's not just music; it's a way of life.' He exclaimed, 'That's the best thing I've ever heard!' and shook my hand a bunch. Haha.

I've met other people too, and they were all nice, but those are the highlights for me.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5074
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:43 am 
 

Frank Booth wrote:
About Mike Smith... yeah, Bill Robinson told me that he was an arrogant, self-aggrandizing dick with SERIOUS anger issues who was known for assaulting musicians from other bands on a regular basis (as well as his own bandmates, for that matter) who had a bad habit of hearing things wrong and then flying off the handle (several of the attacks on other musicians were due to his erroneous belief that one of them dropped an n-bomb; one of these involved one of the dudes from Dehumanized, who wound up spending almost a week in the hospital). He left because he didn't feel like touring after being told by Frank and Terrance that his choices were "do the full tour or sit it out and forfeit any money made from the tour that would have been yours", so he threw a bitchfit, quit on the spot, and then proceeded to take all of their gear that was at his house, LIGHT IT ON FIRE, and text them pics of their destroyed gear. Yeah, Mike's a real class act.


My friends met Mike and said he was nice and appreciative (he signed literally every single Suffo release since my buddy brought them all along just in case he was able to meet a member. Literally all of them, even the Reincrimation demo), but that story doesn't shock me. I've read quite a few interviews around the time Blood Oath came out and he seemed like a bit of a dick. Paraphrased examples:

Q: So Blood Oath takes a slightly different direction than previous Suffocation releases. What influenced the change?
A: It's what the kids like and we don't make money playing what we normally play. The songs are boring for me to play and I don't have fun with them but whatever, I need to pay my bills

Q: What would you consider your favorite songs off the new album and why?
A: These three because I wrote them


Obviously not the exact wording, but the sentiment is clearly there and his exact quotes honestly aren't too far off if I'm not mistaken. I don't remember where I saw the interview, but I started looking at him in a little bit of a different light since then. So hearing that he's full of himself and has a rough temper just confirms what I had assumed.

Also, when my friends met Mike, they also chatted with Frank for a little bit of time and said he was cool, had a great sense of humor and had a stupid New Yawk accent. They said Terrence pretty much ignored them but I've heard he's kind of an introvert and doesn't mingle with the public all that often.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Arch Enemy - War Eternal

Top
 Profile  
SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:26 pm
Posts: 330
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:35 am 
 

TheNiceNightmare wrote:
I dreamed I met Hammerfall once... does that count?


I dreamed me and Slough Feg were killing them...does that count?

Top
 Profile  
Daemonlord
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 7:01 pm
Posts: 614
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:25 am 
 

I've not met a huge amount of guys from bands in person, but of those who I have met:

LG Petrov (Entombed): Coolest dude, took me aback that he actually wanted to have a conversation with me rather than just say a few words then fuck off to do his own thing. Really geniune guy.

Barney Greenway (Napalm Death): Took the time to come out after the gig to chat with us, great sense of humour and knows his shit once you broach grind/hardcore with him - pretty much a walking encylopaedia for it.

Jensen (Seance/Witchery/The Haunted): Very quiet, odd demeanor. Was nice enough, happy to sign shit but not much of a talker.

Anders Bjorler (The Haunted/At The Gates): Pretty stand offish, not particularly friendly at all in my experience even when telling him how much I loved early ATG stuff. Guess he gets gushing fans all the time but, meh. It was clear he couldn't wait to get the gig over with and to clear the fuck out of there.

Casey Chaos (Scum/Amen): Very friendly, didn't even realise who he was until he introduced himself. He doesnt make my sort of music, but seemed a nice guy and was happy to chat about black/death metal with me & friends. Seemed to be fairly well up on his knowledge!

Robb Flynn (Vio-Lence/Machine Head): Nice guy, didn't have a lot to say. Guess he was sober.

Andreas Kisser (Sepultura): Good guy, happy to chat with fans. Enjoyed showing me his gnarly arm scar from where he'd had a huge metal contraption holding it together!

Kerry King (Slayer): Seemed a bit vacant until I engaged him about guitar stuff, then he wouldn't shut up.

I've had loads of e-mail correspondence with bands from my reviewing/interviewing days. Funny how most of the really nice guys were from the more renowned/established bands (Ross of Immolation, for example, or Dave Rotten of 10 bands I could list) - always seemed the way that those sort of guys fall over themselves to be as candid, friendly and helpful as possible. In turn, a lot of the assholes were in up and coming bands (i.e, people who'd had smoke blown up their asses after one album and had suddenly adopted some bullshit rockstar persona because of it). There's nothing worse than taking the time to sit and research then type up questions for an e-mail interview to try to give a new band more coverage only for them not to bother responding to it after initially agreeing it.
_________________

My Metal Collectors Blog (early & 1st presses, rarities, obscure and hard to find) - http://www.source-of-steel.com/
My Metal Collection Archived - http://rateyourmusic.com/~Daemonlord

Top
 Profile  
novakm
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:52 pm
Posts: 179
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:05 am 
 

I met Nevermore right before they broke up. Warrel was drunk and was cool to me but surprisingly a total dick to my lady friend. Jim was a drunken retard.

However, the two people who had the most reason to be dicks (via having the most talent) were actually the nicest. Jeff and Van were so humble and seemed genuinely thankful when they said "thanks for supporting us and coming to our show." Jeff and Van killed it that night btw. Didn't interact with the second guitarist much (Attila something?).

Despite Jeff and Van being so amazing that night on stage, it was one of the worst shows I've ever been too, but that's for another thread.

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 235
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:48 am 
 

novakm wrote:
I met Nevermore right before they broke up. Warrel was drunk and was cool to me but surprisingly a total dick to my lady friend. Jim was a drunken retard.

However, the two people who had the most reason to be dicks (via having the most talent) were actually the nicest. Jeff and Van were so humble and seemed genuinely thankful when they said "thanks for supporting us and coming to our show." Jeff and Van killed it that night btw. Didn't interact with the second guitarist much (Attila something?).

Despite Jeff and Van being so amazing that night on stage, it was one of the worst shows I've ever been too, but that's for another thread.


I've heard that Jeff used to be an asshole but got a lot better over the years. Still, sounds about right as far as Dane and Sheppard go. Dane apparently has moments where he's a cool guy, but Sheppard is just a world-class asshole with a raging "my way or the highway" mentality who has purposely ruined Van's gear more than once because he's a petty little bitch. Actually, he just treated Van horribly in general, which is why he left, and also the main reason why Jeff left (he was sick of seeing Van getting treated like shit by Sheppard and Dane making excuses for him).

Top
 Profile  
novakm
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:52 pm
Posts: 179
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:50 am 
 

I've seen interviews where Dane seems like a cool guy, very thoughtful and intelligent. Maybe he just gets that way when he's drunk? If so, that would explain why he seems like an asshole most of the time. Dane didn't like Van much either, in some interview he was explaining how alcohol ruined the band and that he missed his best friend Jeff Loomis and he said something along the lines of "I could care less about the drummer though, I didn't like him" and didn't even mention his name.

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 235
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:53 am 
 

Yeah, seems consistent. I know that Jeff and Van are still buddies and that Jeff was always the one who stuck up for him, so I can understand his unwillingness to go back to the band where his buddy was treated like shit.

Top
 Profile  
Radagast
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:41 pm
Posts: 349
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:41 pm 
 

novakm wrote:
I met Nevermore right before they broke up. Warrel was drunk and was cool to me but surprisingly a total dick to my lady friend. Jim was a drunken retard.

However, the two people who had the most reason to be dicks (via having the most talent) were actually the nicest. Jeff and Van were so humble and seemed genuinely thankful when they said "thanks for supporting us and coming to our show." Jeff and Van killed it that night btw. Didn't interact with the second guitarist much (Attila something?).

Despite Jeff and Van being so amazing that night on stage, it was one of the worst shows I've ever been too, but that's for another thread.

A buddy of mine had a quick chat with Van a few years ago, said he was a nice guy.

I've had a few brief moments of crossing paths with people in bands that I would really class as "meeting" them, just me babbling "durr you guys are awesome," them saying "durr we really appreciate you coming to the show" and moving on. Stefan Elmgren from Hammerfall was the first 'famous' person I ever just bumped into and stupid 21 year old me was completely over the moon.

I had a proper chat with Fredrik Nordstrom after Dream Evil opened for Saxon in 2004. It was just after Gus G had quit and a friend and I had knocked together a couple of shitty t shirts that said "Where's Gus?". We were a bit worried they might take it the wrong way, but they were laughing and joking about it onstage and Nordstrom asked if he could have my shirt after the gig which was pretty cool....then I twisted his arm into swapping it for his Evilized shirt. I felt a bit bad when he said it was his only one left though.

Daniel Heiman (ex-Lost Horizon) was cool enough to spend some time talking to a friend of mine in the Red Cross tent at Sweden Rock the same year after she had an asthma attack. Always seemed like a cool guy on the Lost Horizon forum too. Shame about his cunty new musical endeavours.

Mrs Radagast runs the Fozzy street team in the UK so I've been backstage at plenty of their shows and VIP events. Don't like the music for the most part but Rich Ward and especially Billy Grey are really cool, friendly guys.

I had a drunken ramble at Lee Payne from Cloven Hoof a few years ago after they played a brilliant but shambolic gig to about 13 people in a stupid little town miles from the city. I remember him coming across as really nice and fan-centric but also a bit like I was talking to a practiced persona and not the real guy. I was hammered though, don't remember much else except him promising they'd play Reach for the Sky next time (still waiting).

I've had brief chats with Martin Walkyier and Bob Catley at Bloodstock over the last couple of years. Bob was super cool and laid back, he was quite funny about a guy like him being at a metal festival. Walkyier was nice enough to humour me for 5 minutes despite the fact that he was clearly in a rush and I was completely in his way.

I cornered Kev Bower from Hell when he was doing the lighting and playing keyboards for Sabbat (figure that one out) a few years back. It was before Human Remains came out and I think he was a bit surprised someone was asking about Hell. He ended up emailing me an unmastered mp3 of Plague & Fyre about a year before the album came out which I thought was amazingly cool considering they were (I later found out) in negotiaions with so many big labels at the time.

Oddly I spent most of the night before and after a Manowar gig in Birmingham last year with Tobias from Katana and three of his friends, but never spoke to him as a fan to a musician.

I don't remember ever meeting someone who was a dick, which is nice.

Top
 Profile  
analog_winter
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:34 pm
Posts: 1156
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:01 pm 
 

unclevladistav wrote:
Played with Ash Borer/Ruin Lust on their most recent tour and repeatedly tried to engage in conversation with a few of them (having made contact online and over the phone prior), but they seemed content to hang out with each other and ignore everyone at the show. Made it easier to be able to write them off after anyway...their live sound sucked on account of them turning their amps up WAY too loud and not knowing how to EQ properly. The drummer was the only cool one who didn't act like he was too good to talk to us, and after they played I heard him (sounding very frustrated) complaining, saying he couldn't hear a thing.

Total opposite experience when I got a chance to play a show with Velnias. Nicest dudes ever, talked to Paul for a bit about Leech, and they were all extremely thankful and supportive (despite the fact that it was probably our worst show ever, in terms of performance). Coolest dudes, incredible live show/sound as well.


That kinda sucks about the guys in Ash Borer as I really enjoy some of their stuff, but it sounds like you had a cool experience with the guys from Velnias, I'd love to have a chance to talk to Paul about Leech & his other various projects
_________________
discogs
iAm wrote:
Oh god.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Top
 Profile  
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 679
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:44 pm 
 

I know the dudes from Holy Grail sorta, cause I'm front and center every time they're in my area, and they're pretty cool. One time the guitarists were sorta messing around on stage before the show and playing random riffs and shit. My buddy shouted "Play The Four Horsemen!" and amusingly enough they did! They're all pretty mellow, though James Paul-Luna seems rather excitable, haha.

I met Cam Pipes once when he was manning the merch booth at one of their shows. I wouldn't say he was a dick, but when you're super excited to meet someone and they're just kinda like "meh" it can be a little disappointing.
_________________
The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Don't need food, I got metal! Don't need air, I got metal! Don't need love, I.... uhhhh.... *cries*

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8454
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:25 pm 
 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
TheNiceNightmare wrote:
I dreamed I met Hammerfall once... does that count?


I dreamed me and Slough Feg were killing them...does that count?

GOD YES!
I dreamed I was naked with Mike Scalzi and it was awesome, I'm a fanboy and I know no limits!

Unclevlad: what's your band, dude?
_________________
Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
thrashfan07
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:31 pm
Posts: 922
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:14 am 
 

My buddy and I recently saw Vektor in a dinky little venue where there wasn't much extra space, and the whole band was hanging around the merch table. We mainly talked to Erik Nelson, who was about the coolest, most laid back guy you'll ever meet, and his guitar skills give him plenty of reason to be smug so I was very pleased. Bought a shirt, got some shit signed, and my buddy and I even got a picture with the band! While the band was setting up, I was basically front-and-center in front of the stage, so I gave Erik some request for some Voivod tunes. Being the boss that he is, he pumped out some 'Forgotten in Space' and "Experiment' riffs, so that was pretty awesome. Erik was also playing Technical Difficulties by Racer X, to which I yelled out "Technical Difficitulties!," to which Blake proceeded to scope out who called it :lol:

Ironically, the band did experience some technical difficulties, but they handled them very professionally, and played a goddamn hour and a half set. After the set, my buddy and I basically talked to every band member seperately (except for Blake, who we only really talked to for a minute or so) for about 10 or 20 minutes, so really cool stuff. I had to ask Frank if they were farmiliar with the band Aspid (Extravasation), and of course they were. We talked about bitchin' old school technical thrash like Obliveon and Watchtower, so that was cool to talk to someone that actually knew that stuff.

Before we left, we talked to David a bit. His wife was on the tour with them, and, hilariously, she bitched out some guy that had come up to David before they played their set and told him "nice perm!," to which the asshole was trying to kiss-and-make-up after the show when he realized who David was. David (along with the rest of the band) was very appreciative of us showing up and talking to them, as it was apparent that they weren't drawing huge crowds and my buddy and I were probably the only guys to approach them and actually have a conversation during the whole night. We ended up talking about Absu somehow, and David mentioned that he thought he had Proscriptor's phone number, to which I was like: :o

So basically, the band was cool as hell, and this post ended up almost being a concert review in general :lol:
_________________
Galaahd wrote:
When my mom saw my Sodom shirt she thought I was homosexual.

Top
 Profile  
t1337Dude
Metalhead

Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 5:20 am
Posts: 660
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:16 am 
 

analog_winter wrote:
unclevladistav wrote:
Played with Ash Borer/Ruin Lust on their most recent tour and repeatedly tried to engage in conversation with a few of them (having made contact online and over the phone prior), but they seemed content to hang out with each other and ignore everyone at the show. Made it easier to be able to write them off after anyway...their live sound sucked on account of them turning their amps up WAY too loud and not knowing how to EQ properly. The drummer was the only cool one who didn't act like he was too good to talk to us, and after they played I heard him (sounding very frustrated) complaining, saying he couldn't hear a thing.

Total opposite experience when I got a chance to play a show with Velnias. Nicest dudes ever, talked to Paul for a bit about Leech, and they were all extremely thankful and supportive (despite the fact that it was probably our worst show ever, in terms of performance). Coolest dudes, incredible live show/sound as well.


That kinda sucks about the guys in Ash Borer as I really enjoy some of their stuff, but it sounds like you had a cool experience with the guys from Velnias, I'd love to have a chance to talk to Paul about Leech & his other various projects


Black metal musicians being anti-social?! Totally thought those guys from Ash Borer would be the life of the party.

:P

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 235
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 am 
 

thrashfan07 wrote:
My buddy and I recently saw Vektor in a dinky little venue where there wasn't much extra space, and the whole band was hanging around the merch table. We mainly talked to Erik Nelson, who was about the coolest, most laid back guy you'll ever meet, and his guitar skills give him plenty of reason to be smug so I was very pleased. Bought a shirt, got some shit signed, and my buddy and I even got a picture with the band! While the band was setting up, I was basically front-and-center in front of the stage, so I gave Erik some request for some Voivod tunes. Being the boss that he is, he pumped out some 'Forgotten in Space' and "Experiment' riffs, so that was pretty awesome. Erik was also playing Technical Difficulties by Racer X, to which I yelled out "Technical Difficitulties!," to which Blake proceeded to scope out who called it :lol:

Ironically, the band did experience some technical difficulties, but they handled them very professionally, and played a goddamn hour and a half set. After the set, my buddy and I basically talked to every band member seperately (except for Blake, who we only really talked to for a minute or so) for about 10 or 20 minutes, so really cool stuff. I had to ask Frank if they were farmiliar with the band Aspid (Extravasation), and of course they were. We talked about bitchin' old school technical thrash like Obliveon and Watchtower, so that was cool to talk to someone that actually knew that stuff.

Before we left, we talked to David a bit. His wife was on the tour with them, and, hilariously, she bitched out some guy that had come up to David before they played their set and told him "nice perm!," to which the asshole was trying to kiss-and-make-up after the show when he realized who David was. David (along with the rest of the band) was very appreciative of us showing up and talking to them, as it was apparent that they weren't drawing huge crowds and my buddy and I were probably the only guys to approach them and actually have a conversation during the whole night. We ended up talking about Absu somehow, and David mentioned that he thought he had Proscriptor's phone number, to which I was like: :o

So basically, the band was cool as hell, and this post ended up almost being a concert review in general :lol:


Erik played what sounded like the solo to Inoculated Life when they were doing soundchecks, and I remember talking to Frank about how I heard some Anata and early Arsis in their stuff. He said it was just coincidental, but we did get talking about old-school technical death.

Top
 Profile  
SS_Division_Wiking
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:22 am
Posts: 61
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:00 am 
 

I'm not surprised at all that M. Petrozza was mentioned. A couple of musicians I know have said the same thing: arrogant.

I talked to Niklas from Shining a couple of times. He was both cool and a tool at the same time.

Rune and Necrobutcher are not exactly fan friendly guys but I never gave a shit about Mayhem to begin with so that's fine.
_________________
Ørneborgen

Top
 Profile  
jakster840
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:07 pm
Posts: 4
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:03 am 
 

I have talked to Paul Caffrey (Gama Bomb), Schmier (Destruction), Johan Lindstrand (One Man Army and The Undead Quartet, The Crown) via facebook. All three of them are wonderful, down to earth guys. Johan and Schmier are just about as "metal" as one can get (if you prescribe to the idiom).

Top
 Profile  
FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:55 am
Posts: 178
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:08 am 
 

I met Ross Dolan and Rob Vigna of Immolation in the bathroom at Jaxx club, VA during their Unholy Cult tour. Both were super nice and we talked a whole bunch while other people came in to do their business which I thought was hilarious.

I met Rob Vigna again in 2007 at my cousin's wedding in NJ. I had heard Rob had a wedding business but I had no idea it was a full entertainment package i.e. lights, smoke, dj, etc. I'm sitting a table with my girlfriend and see a familiar bald head and goatee behind the dj booth and I say "that's Rob Vigna of Immolation!" My chic had no idea why I was freaking out. I ended up going to talk with him a bit during one of his breaks and he was very nice and humble. He joked about "this is what us evil death metal guys have to do on the side to make some $" We took a picture together.

Also at Jaxx, I saw Deicide on their Till Death Do Us Part Tour. Glenn was moseying around the bar area during Vital Remains set. At first, I thought he was cool cause he was talking to a bunch of fans and stuff. Then I overheard him at the bar saying to the bartender, "Don't you know who I am? I'm Glen Benton" as he pushed his glass toward the hot bartender like he deserved free drinks. She was like "who?" which I thought was great.

Top
 Profile  
blackdiamond74
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:39 am
Posts: 47
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:45 am 
 

The bass player from Agalloch is very humble fellow. He and his wife sat next to me at the bar when they played for the 1st time in Chicago and he seemed kind of taken aback that I recognized him. Nice guy though.

Seconds (or thirds) for the dudes from The Gates Of Slumber. Again, very humble guys and extremely approachable.

And Maurizio Iacomo. Got to know him since he co-owned a pizza joint down the street from where I live. Down-to-earth nice guy that was really cool to bullshit with when I picked up food. Even gave me free swag one time from his car.

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 235
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:58 am 
 

FJ Receptor wrote:
I met Ross Dolan and Rob Vigna of Immolation in the bathroom at Jaxx club, VA during their Unholy Cult tour. Both were super nice and we talked a whole bunch while other people came in to do their business which I thought was hilarious.

I met Rob Vigna again in 2007 at my cousin's wedding in NJ. I had heard Rob had a wedding business but I had no idea it was a full entertainment package i.e. lights, smoke, dj, etc. I'm sitting a table with my girlfriend and see a familiar bald head and goatee behind the dj booth and I say "that's Rob Vigna of Immolation!" My chic had no idea why I was freaking out. I ended up going to talk with him a bit during one of his breaks and he was very nice and humble. He joked about "this is what us evil death metal guys have to do on the side to make some $" We took a picture together.

Also at Jaxx, I saw Deicide on their Till Death Do Us Part Tour. Glenn was moseying around the bar area during Vital Remains set. At first, I thought he was cool cause he was talking to a bunch of fans and stuff. Then I overheard him at the bar saying to the bartender, "Don't you know who I am? I'm Glen Benton" as he pushed his glass toward the hot bartender like he deserved free drinks. She was like "who?" which I thought was great.


I think Ross Dolan drives dairy tankers for a living, as I vaguely remember Jason from Origin telling me about how he was grabbing some stuff from a convenience store in South Burlington, VT a few years back when he heard a truck honk at him and someone shout "JASON! Sup dude!?"; when he looked, it was Ross in a tanker truck who was yelling to him.

Also, the Glen Benton story makes me smile. He's a terrible person and deserves nothing but the worse, and something as minor as an ego deflation goes a long way.

Top
 Profile  
OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:56 pm
Posts: 586
Location: A smoldering ruin with wi-fi, Chechnya
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:29 am 
 

I got to briefly talk to Glen Benton after seeing Deicide for that God is dead tour they did in support of their latest album last february and he seemed like a nice enough guy to me, He was in a hurry to get to the bar so I didn't get to bother him too long but he did tell me and my friend we should go meet him at the bar (in hindsight, he could've been trying to say "fuck you" since I was like 17 back then and obviously wouldn't have gotten in...), Also got a picture taken with Jack Owen (original guitarist for mutherfuckin Cannibal Corpse!!!) at that show, it was pretty late and we all were exhausted and felt like shit (Deicide played over an hour long concert that night) so everyone was ready to get the hell outta there and drink/smoke and go to bed. I didn't get the chance to chat up either musician for very long but they seemed pretty friendly overall.
Also got to meet Sammy and Ben from Goatwhore up in Peoria a couple months back. Didn't talk with em for very long (I try not to bother musicians too much other than to tell them their music is good and shake hands and shit) but Sammy seems like a really cool guy, very old school, If my memory recalls correctly, he had a pretty impressive battle vest on. Ben Falgoust is a giant compared to me, almost needed a step ladder to shake the dude's hand.
_________________
"...But the bottom line is, I ain't shook, 'cause if the right hook comes out crazy muthafuckers like you get knocked out. Don't be lookin' me in the eyes boy, I ain't got no candy for you. NOOO candy."

Top
 Profile  
Frank Booth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 235
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:26 pm 
 

Oh, forgot one, and he's a total asshole. PHILIP. FUCKING. LABONTE. Seriously, FUCK HIM. He lives in Spofford, NH, which is like forty minutes from me, and he co-owns a gun store there. World-class rockstar-wannabe prick who... let's see. Insulted a friend of mine who runs a local metal distribution business when he found out that he wanted to open a CD store, laughing at him and calling it a terrible idea because "no one buys ATR CDs anymore". Also, when someone mentioned that a non-profit theater in Turners Falls, MA was looking for a high-profile headliner (this was maybe an hour from Phil's hometown), he said that he'd have to charge them FIFTEEN THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS to "fly in their crew". That's right, the band doesn't even know how to set up their own gear any more. Finally, about the gun store? Yeah, one of my friends went in there to buy ammo, and guess who was manning the counter? He was an asshole there, too, and wound up trying to overcharge my friend on purpose just because he said something that he didn't like. Oh, and this is far from all I've heard about the man. I've got plenty more tales to tell about this primadonna dickhead. To sum Phil up, though, he's a 70-30 cross between Glen Danzig and Ted Nugent with what very well may be an even bigger ego.

*Edited out a name because I really don't want to risk Phil coming after him. While Phil is normally all talk, the shit that he's been posting on Facebook in the wake of the election has me seriously worried that he's going to do something bad.


Last edited by Frank Booth on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
revoltingblob
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:06 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:25 pm 
 

i met Sam from DRAGONFORCE when i was a foolish 15 year old who enjoyed their live show. he was actually pretty damn cool, my dad was driving my friend and i to the show when he noticed this long-haired guy walking down the road, it was Sam. we pull over and ask him what he was doing, and apparently the band had sent him up the road to buy some mini-DV tapes to record the show. we ask if he wants a ride and he gets in the van, we bring him to get the tapes and ask if he needs to make any other stops, we then proceed to a liquor store to get a huge case of beer and some porn mags. ended up taking some pics with him and dropping him off at the tour bus. during the car ride we told him we had seem them on their last tour, and we all made fun of the opening band from that tour (PROTEST THE HERO- they were incredibly rude to the crowd and out of place on that tour- although at this point i can recognize they're a bit better than DF). Sam didnt remember them at first until we described their appearance, to which he said "oh, right, right, the guys with the haircuts". really surreal experience, even tho Dragonforce is the furthest thing from what I listen to now, I can say he was cool as all hell and a nice guy.

on Myspace I talked to: JWW from AGALLOCH (fucking awesome guy), Don Anderson from AGALLOCH (nice guy), Neige (seemed cool) and someone from ELECTRIC WIZARD (dont remember who)

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: angloviking, Aydross, ChineseDownhill, Nochielo, Opus, PrinceRhaegar, shouvince, Skarpatere and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group