Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SixSixSixPounder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:19 pm 

All the members of Dark Tranquillity are awesome. They came out after the show by their bus to talk to, sign stuff, take pics, with maybe about 10 people. It was freezing cold, and they did not mind at all. They were eager and appreciative that I wanted pictures and all that.

I talked to Ross from Immolation before their set, and he was cool. We talked about the new album and how he'd like to play all the new songs on their set. I got a pic with him, and then I got one with Rob later. I didn't talk that long with him, but he was awesome too and didn't mind taking a picture.

I talked with Joel Grind for a little bit at the merch booth and got a pic with him. He seemed like a cool dude too.

Tony from Municipal Waste was more than happy to get a picture with me right after their exhausting headlining set.

The guys from Obscura were cool. I bought their hoodie and got them to sign my ticket.

Haven't met any douches, fortunately. But I was pretty disappointed in most of the Cannibal Corpse guys not coming out to meet the fans after their show. Alex and George just walked right onto the tour bus without saying a word to us. Pat came out later, and I asked him to take a picture. He had a mildy irritated expression, saying "Is that what you want? I don't know why" to which I responded " because you're badass." But he was pretty cool, and stuck around and thanked us for coming to the show.

Mr_Pickles
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:07 pm 

Much like everyone else, I can confirm that the guys in Goatwhore are complete badasses. I got to speak with John Collett of SWAATS, who happens to be related to one of my buddies, he was pretty cool. I got to speak with the Swashbuckle guys, all of them were pretty awesome, signed my shit and gave me a deal on one of their T-shirts.

I got to briefly hang out with DragonForce before a show one time, all the members were pretty cool, especially Sam and the Bassist. But the singer was a huge dick, wouldn't talk to anybody. All he did was sign some shit and scram. I'm glad he's out of the band.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:09 pm 

Mr_Pickles wrote:
I got to briefly hang out with DragonForce before a show one time, all the members were pretty cool, especially Sam and the Bassist. But the singer was a huge dick, wouldn't talk to anybody. All he did was sign some shit and scram. I'm glad he's out of the band.

Well, talking puts strain on the voice. If it was around the time of a show, maybe he just didn't want to talk too much, had to save his vocal energy for the show. I read once that singers often have to do that, say as little as possible to make sure they don't wear out their vocal chords before they sing.

mentalendoscopy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:29 am 

Met James Lee after a show and he gave me a copy of "Echoes of Decimation" for free when I told him I would go and shake some money off my dad for a copy. Haha. The guitarist of my current was playing that show with his old band though and said they were all dicks. Odd.

I've heard that the guitarist of Misery Index is a dick, as well as the guitarist of Arsis, who the guitarist in MY band knows personally.

chronolith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:39 am 

has anyone met or talked to Rotting Christ or Melechesh? My band is opening for them in March and I am curious as to whether i should approach them or not.

http://www.myspace.com/isenblast

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:32 am 

Kutulu wrote:
K.K. from D666 comes off as really standoffish.

Every time I've seen them, I've talked with K.K. and he's always nice. He never remembers me because he's always swilling Jim Beam and has his arms around multiple ladies...but I don't care. He mostly just makes smartass remarks and gets drunk.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:35 am 

Sounds like someone I know.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:37 am 

Handles of Jim Beam are the only way to live.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:40 am 

I hung out with Nattefrost for three days when my friend and I went to Norway. He showed us around town (Oslo) a bit, had us over to his apartment to smoke weed and listen to black metal. We spent most of our time in Elm Street Pub though, where he also introduced us to Maniac and Faust, who were also really friendly, Maniac especially. I only exchanged a few words with Faust, but we spent an entire night drinking with Maniac.

Other than that, I got to go backstage at an In Flames concert, but no one here likes them. They were great guys, though. I've also been to two Amon Amarth signings and got pictures and whatnot, and everyone there seemed nice.

EDIT: I have some pictures of each of these encounters if anyone's interested.

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:50 am 

Razakel wrote:
EDIT: I have some pictures of each of these encounters if anyone's interested.

Please post, because even though I don't like their new stuff at all, In Flames' first 3 albums are held very close to my heart in terms of awesomeness.

Post the Amon Amarth ones too, I've been pretty keen on their stuff over the last couple years, even though I thought Twilight of the Thunder God was pretty overrated.

The_Boss wrote:
Petri Lindroos now the frontman.. they were in between songs and I was up front, yelled out "Slayer of Light!" for them to play next, he looks at me and says something along the lines of, "we're not playing that song, we're gonna play whatever I want to play". I wanted to be like, fuck you where's Jari?!

Although what he says sounds extremely arrogant, I have to agree with the other person that mentioned his poor English speaking capabilities, because when I saw Ensiferum in Sydney on New Year's Day he was talking in Finnish to the sound crew while doing his sound checks, and he also sounded pretty unconfident when talking to the crowd between songs.

SixSixSixPounder wrote:
ll the members of Dark Tranquillity are awesome. They came out after the show by their bus to talk to, sign stuff, take pics, with maybe about 10 people. It was freezing cold, and they did not mind at all. They were eager and appreciative that I wanted pictures and all that.

SO DAMN JEALOUS! My obsession with that band is pretty intense at the moment, and seeing them live (let alone meeting them in person) would probably make me the happiest person in the world! You're also not the first person to say that they are awesome guys, as I have seen accounts on their Facebook fan page where people have described them as some of the nicest people they have ever met. I believe it is about time Mikael Stanne and co. tour Australia. :)

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:22 am 

chronolith wrote:
has anyone met or talked to Melechesh

They were in Finland this August and, apparently, they went to the beach with some of their fans to do some heavy drinking the day before their gig. They were a bit hangover-ridden the next day and mentioned it during their show.

Now, I only heard this thing happening, so I can't guarantee its validity, but nevertheless they sound quite mellow.

ApochWeiss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:44 am 

ApochWeiss wrote:
NuttersaurusRex wrote:
ApochWeiss wrote:
The only guy who doesnt sound like a complete coked up prick in that band is the vocalist. The bassist just comes across like the biggest fucking dick, plus he writes a column on metalsucks which is like a meeting ground for bellends.

Really? Guy, their frontman, is the coolest guy ever. We talked for a while before and after they played and he gave me a discount on a shirt when he saw I was short 5 bucks. Some people think they're dicks because they're complete smartasses sometimes but they all seem really cool to me.

...Why does the quote you have on that post say I wrote that statement about the guy being a dick? I completely agree with the guy who wrote it, but it wasn't me haha.

Oh, forgot, to make things worse, that member of Red Chord? It was his birthday too. Happy birthday, ya' prick.

SIDENOTES: Forgot to mention these haha.

Darkest Hour, sarcastic guys, but all of them are awesome to talk to...as long as you don't go with a girl, then their attention is not to you. When I do interviews my fiancee generally comes with me to make sure the camera doesn't fuck up, and the whole interview with them they'd keep looking at her, and the vocalist could NOT move his eyes from her cleavage haha.

Not to mention...Ben of Goatwhore kept inching closer to her the whole interview (also likes to perform KING by Satyricon at Taco Bells with Sammy and whoever else is there, first time I met him, and he made me spill my Chalupa!) and not to mention Trevor of Black Dahlia. Fucker grabbed her ass and, inside, hanging out with the bands and the owners I then called "friends", he dry humped her leg.

Don't bring hot chicks around these guys haha. Especially Trevor. if you read the other post you'd know why haha

I also forgot that, on a kinda personal level, not business level, I've talked to Dani of Alestorm on-line many a time. We had plans to go play some Moxxi on Borderlands if I remember correctly but it didn't happen haha. When he's not on the road I try to say hey when I see him on and see how things are going.

As far as unsigned bands go, I talk to Darren of Goreshack on-line and he's pretty cool. I also know the members of Beyond Fallen and Forgotten Legacy personally, all awesome guys. Chuck and his girl, who is the singer of the band Gail Force, go out Tuesdays to a local bar, and my fiancee and I join them and any of their friends that show. I also got to work with the guy back when I was involved with an unsigned band. He also committed one of the best things I never got to see, calling the Floating Jesus, where some dumb girl decided to sit in the middle of the venue, and he didn't see her, trips over her, floats there for a few seconds, then falls, rolls, and gets up like nothing ever happened haha.

of course I also know Bloodcurse of Neldoreth personally. He's an ass. I hate his guts. Total retard who sucks horribly as life. (Of course I'm kidding, he's been one of my closest friends since I met him back in 2002, go to plenty of concerts with the guy, and I always have fun testing his Married With Children knowledge heh)

I think that's about all I can contribute at this point.

Actually, one more. Chuck Billy of TESTAMENT. Very fan oriented. Only spoke with him for a few moments to get a photo, but he had a big smile. It was at the Jon Oliva show, which went on down the road fromt he Testament headlining show, so when he and Jon stopped talking, I asked him real quick for a photo. He stopped, turned and took one with me and my fiancee. VERY tall man...I know how my fiancee feels around me and my friends haha. But damn, I took of a photo of those two, the height difference was so insane I took about 4 giant steps back to get 'em both in the frame haha

Harassed Dying Fetus too for some pics after a show. You could tell they were winded and packing up (same show with Origin behind the magic shop to 7 people) and they stopped, talked for a bit, but clearly they wanted to get the fuck out. I didn't blame them one bit haha

Mr_Pickles wrote:
Much like everyone else, I can confirm that the guys in Goatwhore are complete badasses. I got to speak with John Collett of SWAATS, who happens to be related to one of my buddies, he was pretty cool. I got to speak with the Swashbuckle guys, all of them were pretty awesome, signed my shit and gave me a deal on one of their T-shirts.

Really? I saw Dragonforce in Allentown, PA last time they blew through. They were with Daath and Cynic, both bands put on a hell fo a show. Then Dragonforce comes on and I can't tell you how many times they fucked up. EVERY damn time they fucked up, the vocalist mouthed off about it by blaming the set design, claiming it was fucking him up, and the guitarist (I guess Herman Li? Not sure, the Korean looking guy, assuming it's him based on the last name) kept blaming some random guy in the front for not getting him a beer, which he couldn't because security wouldn't let anyone near the bar they had open because it was next to the stage. Those two (at least, didn't hear from the others) acted like total asshats and made me not want to meet them.

Of course, since then I quit listening to them, though I cannot get rid of my copy of Inhuman Rampage. Decided to keep it though for two songs on it, the rest are gone. You can't play your shit on stage, then stand there and blame everyone and everything else possible, then I have no respect for you.

chronolith wrote:
has anyone met or talked to Melechesh

Did an interview with Melechesh himself, mentioned it in my first post. Very cool guy, very smart, had a great conversation with him.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:25 am 

chronolith wrote:
has anyone met or talked to Rotting Christ or Melechesh? My band is opening for them in March and I am curious as to whether i should approach them or not.

Can't really say much about Melechesh (although Proscriptor, who's no longer in the band, is a very amiable and amusing fellow), but Sakis and themis from Rotting Christ are certainly highly approachable individuals. Sakis in particular is a big Greek teddybear. :lol: He and my friends chatted for a while in the club basement after their show, and went to get jiros. He seemed overjoyed that we all listened to Passage to Arcturo and appreciated that he could get some decent food in our city. :D
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

WitchCraft
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:50 am 

I met all the cats in Nile and they are all cool as shit, though George Kolias didnt talk much, i figured he was just worn out or something.

I also met Morbid Angel and Trey was a pretty serious deuschefag. There must have been about 10-15 of us hanging out, trying to get autographs from him and beer from the bar but he completely ignored everyone except for one nerd and all they discussed were something like modded levels in Quake or some shit. Fucking nerdlinger

GrtUnclean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:12 pm 

That pretty sums up what I heard about Trey. A friend of mine works at a Comic book shop whose owner used to play D&D with him back in the 80's. I also hear he collects Sailor moon memorabilia.

As for me the only ones I have meet are ones from local bands and I think I may have run into proscriptor once but I wasnt sure

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:02 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Well, talking puts strain on the voice. If it was around the time of a show, maybe he just didn't want to talk too much, had to save his vocal energy for the show. I read once that singers often have to do that, say as little as possible to make sure they don't wear out their vocal chords before they sing.

That's exactly why Roy Khan doesn't like talking to people after shows. I imagine there are other vocalists who are the same way when it come to their voices.

LordofLiege
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:20 pm 

GrtUnclean wrote:
I also hear he collects Sailor moon memorabilia.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:32 pm 

ApochWeiss on The Red Chord live wrote:
Of course, I'm standing against the wall with my lady waiting for their set to start, near the front of the stage, and he nearly HITS HER WITH THE GUITAR! IN THE HEAD!

This deserves a fat quote, with the way you seperated the "in the head" for effect. He sounds like a tool, as expected.

Spiralfilm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:01 pm 

LordofLiege wrote:
GrtUnclean wrote:

Wow that's pretty interesting, maybe they'll write a song about the anime on their new album.

ApochWeiss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:48 pm 

Actually, few more to mention (years of PR and radio DJ shit haha)

Hell Within: All awesome guys, and the drummer was cool and talked about how he got his gear set up for live shows.

Misery Signals...well...met them. As much as I hate their music, they were actually really cool to talk to. Of course, this was before I saw 'em live and knew who they were haha.

Joel of Killswitch is a VERY tall man, but he was a very cool guy and met with any fans around.

Corpsegrinder was outside a concert in my area, and he was walking down the line of fans waiting to get in, talking to 'em, taking photos, signing shit...and women's chests...haha. Definitely a cool guy.

Slayer's security guards...TOTAL DOUCHEBAGS! Holy FUCK! I did an interview, exited the venue, and went the way I came. I didn't know Slayer's tour bus had shown in that 30 minutes. Next thing I know their security guards are chasing my fat ass around the front of the venue. Luckily I left my car unlocked, got in there and sped away until the heat cooled down. Fuckers.

planiol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:55 pm 

ApochWeiss wrote:
(a bunch of stuff about interviewing horny band members)

Your fiancee sounds really hot. You are a lucky man.

It's also really cool that you went to Taco Bell with Goatwhore. I was a fan of Goatwhore since 2000, and Acid Bath before that. I've seen them play a bunch of times, and had small talk with Ben, Sammy, and some of the others. I think I've had Taco Bell and saw Goatwhore in the same night before; but I never had the pleasure of eating Taco Bell WITH GOATWHORE!

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:21 pm 

WitchCraft wrote:
I met all the cats in Nile and they are all cool as shit, though George Kolias didnt talk much, i figured he was just worn out or something.

I also met Morbid Angel and Trey was a pretty serious deuschefag. There must have been about 10-15 of us hanging out, trying to get autographs from him and beer from the bar but he completely ignored everyone except for one nerd and all they discussed were something like modded levels in Quake or some shit. Fucking nerdlinger

When I met Trey after the show Morbid Angel played in Glasgow he was a great guy - as were all the other band members for that matter. He and David Vincent came out the bus for a good half an hour taking pictures, signing autographs and just chatting. Vincent actually made a point of saying "If I've missed anybody just shout" or words to that effect. I had a conversation with Trey and he was a really nice guy and even shook my hand a couple of times.

BlastManStanding
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:29 pm 

Also I wanted to add - Don Gates, guitarist of Florida's death metal legends Brutality. What a super cool guy. Met him online & he was really touched by a letter I sent him praising his work in the band and how brilliant Screams of Anguish is. Said something along the lines of "because of fans like you, this is why I keep making music". I've been hoping that's a sign we may see another Brutality album in the future :D

~Guest 139804
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:45 pm 

Met half of Dark Tranquillity a month ago when I was doing an interview with Niklas. The guys are incredibly down to earth - I saw Martin H. first, asked him where their backstage was, and the guy actually said "I'll show you" and went all the way back to the backstage with me! There I met Martin B. (who seems to be fucking with his keyboard setup for hours before any show) and Niklas, and both were extremely chatty and willing to sign my booklets (I had the entire discography, so it was no small task :lol:)

The guys from Insomnium were supporting that night, and they made an even bigger impression on me; they had that childish happy look on their faces for getting interviewed and whatnot, one can really see how much they're enjoying their new-found popularity.

Other than that, I met Björn from In Flames, but he wasn't in too much of a mood for taking pictures, I basically nearly forced him to stand still for 5 seconds :lol: Peter was in a much better mood, it seems that bassists are always the friendly ones in any band.

Other cool guys include Dave and Trey from Morbid Angel (Dave was friendly in particular), Helmuth and Serpenth from Belphegor, all the guys in Grave, Emil from Deathstars, Mortuus from Marduk, all the guys in Keep Of Kalessin... Can't remember the rest at the moment :D

Joemoe1122
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:21 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:
Is the Palladium as shitty as I imagine it to be? I've never had a reason to trek to the shithole that is Worcester, save for the Saint Vitus/TON show a year ago (which I missed).

I went there once to see Suffocation, and the venure wasn't too bad. it was kinda shitty

Bitches love Enslaved.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:19 pm 

Draakh Kimera from Mörk Gryning filled in on bass in my cover band, and I didn't even know it was him (he's a friend of the drummer).
Great guy and a great bassist.

KingMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:36 pm 

SixSixSixPounder wrote:
I talked with Joel Grind for a little bit at the merch booth and got a pic with him. He seemed like a cool dude too.

Joel Grind hung out and chatted with me even after I had (unknowingly) hit on his girlfriend right in front of him for like 10 minutes. He's a good sport.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:54 pm 

Dave Mustaine...
Despite his reputation... was without doubt one of the coolest musicians I've ever met... was lucky enough to spend about 30mins with him, James McDonough and Drover bro's it was awesome...

Tom Angelripper...
He seemed like a cool bloke... didn't have much time to talk, but shook my hand singed a poster for me...

Has anyone here met Lemmy? He's the one person I'd most like to meet but haven't done so yet...

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:33 am 

met: Kurt Brecht (DRI), Dan Lilker (SOD/Anthrax/Nuclear Assault/Brutal Truth), Mike Williams (Eyehategod), Avi Kulawy (Magrudergrind), John Tardy (Obituary), Ralph Santolla (Obituary/Deicide/Death), all of Watain minus their drummer & Set (guitarist), all of Yakuza minus one member, all of Triptykon minus their guitarist, Dr. Mikannibal (Sigh), Einar Sjurso (Virus, Ved Buens Ende, Lamented Souls), Sgt. V (Sarkom), some guys from Tyr and Korpiklaani, Travis Ryan (Cattle Decapitation), Mike Majewski & Capt. Piss (Devourment), Frank Mullen (Suffocation), all of Cradle of Filth, Robert Vigna (Immolation), some guys from Jungle Rot and Lightning Swords of Death, and got a hand shake from Frost when 1349 played with Triptykon. all i can think of right now besides a few others not worth mentioning. no dicks really.

edit: forgot guys from Suidakra & Alestorm. also Corpsegrinder and Shane Embury.

Last edited by Eurnonymous on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:16 pm 

Most of the musicians from "known" bands I have met have been pretty cool, even though I usually have met them only in passing. You gotta remember, most of them are regular guys just like us who like to get laid, drink, and watch auto racing or whatever just like the rest of us. I dont wanna name drop, but when I lived in California I got the chance to meet some of the more well-known thrash bands out in the San Francisco area. Most of the people in bands I got to "hang out" with, though, were not the sort of bands people would remember or recognize, which is fine- at the end of the day they were all just regular people to like to party with B.S. with and occasionally jam with.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:32 pm 

ApochWeiss wrote:
Actually, few more to mention (years of PR and radio DJ shit haha)

Hell Within: All awesome guys, and the drummer was cool and talked about how he got his gear set up for live shows.

Misery Signals...well...met them. As much as I hate their music, they were actually really cool to talk to. Of course, this was before I saw 'em live and knew who they were haha.

Joel of Killswitch is a VERY tall man, but he was a very cool guy and met with any fans around.

Corpsegrinder was outside a concert in my area, and he was walking down the line of fans waiting to get in, talking to 'em, taking photos, signing shit...and women's chests...haha. Definitely a cool guy.

Slayer's security guards...TOTAL DOUCHEBAGS! Holy FUCK! I did an interview, exited the venue, and went the way I came. I didn't know Slayer's tour bus had shown in that 30 minutes. Next thing I know their security guards are chasing my fat ass around the front of the venue. Luckily I left my car unlocked, got in there and sped away until the heat cooled down. Fuckers.

Was that when Jesse James was doing security for Slayer?

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:55 pm 

All of Alestorm are really cool guys, funny as fuck also. They're the type that'll wander out a venue after a gig and start talking to people, proper legends.
Apocalyptica are all awesome, and they really like meeting fans.
Tyr's bassist is great, really nice guy.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:11 pm 

Lets see, off the top of my head I've met Matti Way (Disgorge/Pathology) and asked him about his vocals, he was pretty cool even though we didn't talk too long, also met all the guys from D666 (except for kk warslut who was nowhere to be seen) at the same show and welcomed them to Denver since it was their first time there. I also met Cain Cressall (The Amenta) when they opened for Vader and we talked about Australian metal and Gorguts for about 20 minutes.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:26 pm 

D.D. Verni and Bobby Blitz (Overkill) were cool guys, had a little chat w/ them before one of their shows

Sid Falck (former drummer for Overkill) is another cool dude.

The guys in Vital Remains were really great, got a picture w/ them.

Mantic Ritual:great guys

Dave Lombardo: Awesome though he didnt speak much but i got picture w/ him.

The bassist of Triptykon: Didnt say much but she was nice

I havent met a musician yet that is a douche though.

Demoniarch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:28 pm 

If I was a somewhat accomplished musician and some numerous tools always asked me how I got there, I would eventually tire of it as well and start telling retards to fuck off.

I mean, fuck... an endless life of touring and never being at home is a job. Who the fuck else likes their job so much you want to talk about it all the time here ?

Anyone want to answer 100 questions about their job right now ? Thought not.

Oh yea, and for the record, when asked how you became so good, what the hell answer do you expect ? It's obvious it is both endless practice and dedication and a whole shit load of luck that band A ever becomes more than band B. What answer do fucking idiots expect when all star struck like idiots ?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:35 pm 

That's a bad take. They shouldn't be playing and touring as a job then. And if I were that accomplished musician, I'd be grateful period or not do it at all. The price of fame. Take it or leave it. If I worked in a cubicle and someone asked me about it all the time then I'd see your argument.

Demoniarch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:49 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
That's a bad take. They shouldn't be playing and touring as a job then. And if I were that accomplished musician, I'd be grateful period or not do it at all. The price of fame. Take it or leave it. If I worked in a cubicle and someone asked me about it all the time then I'd see your argument.

It's the exact same thing and don't fool yourself thinking otherwise. I mean, like come on. It's not all vacation and holidays. That is maybe what it's like at GNR or Metallica level, but most these guys are just making ends meet like anyone else. ...and then have to put up with every dummies inane question as well ? Please.

Oh yea, plus add this into your thought process'.
These are just more often than not regular people as well, they are not stars or gods, what do you really expect of them all ? To be great speakers and excellent conversationalist's ? I wager a lot of them have little to say other than simple things.
How much do you talk to a cab driver or bus driver ? ...or the dude at the McDonalds counter selling you a burger ?
It's the same damned thing, and anyone that thinks they are owed more are fucking idiots.

DescensionToCocytus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:25 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Decrepit Birth - Bill Robinson is just awesome, period. He loves discussing his experiences onstage and always fills us in on upcoming tours that haven't even been announced yet.

Vital Remains - Tony signed my receipt from Pizza Hut >_>. Not to mention being a really chill person.

seconded and seconded. i see a lot of people praising these guys for being awesome in person, and i totally agree.

the vocalist for vital remains sold me a shirt at a discounted price because i didn't have enough. coolest fucking guy ever. and when i walked away from the merch table, the guitarist actually stopped me to shake my hand and thank me for coming to the show. and he was out hanging out in the merch booths and talking with fans the entire night. this was at summer slaughter, so that's a long fucking night. vital remains are the embodiment of what metalheads should be.

so is bill robinson from decrepit birth. totally a man of the people, totally down to earth. had the pleasure of meeting him twice. even during shows, he's so interactive with the fans and loves what he does. all of those guys are really, really, cool dudes.

i met the lead singer from Kataklysm and got a picture and an autograph and shot the shit with him for about ten minutes. cool guy, but a little quiet. later that night when it was their set, the bassist was handing cups of beer into the audience. (this was an all ages show, mind you) i saw them again a couple months ago, and met the bassist. you can hardly understand his accent, but he was pretty cool.

i've met Frost, and satyricon's touring band, one of the dudes from suffocation, and a few others and they've all been pretty cool. almost universally, metal people are just the nicest people on earth.

the only kinda douche i ever met was when i met dino cazares at his merch booth after a divine heresy show. he was giving autographs and selling his merch, so i walked up, got his autograph and he was sharing a merch booth with Chimaira at the time, so i asked him if he could sell me a chimaira shirt. :lol: he looked pretty pissed about that, and i think i deserved the douche sentiment.

I do not want to fist any bros.

NuttersaurusRex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:33 am 

LordofLiege wrote:
GrtUnclean wrote:

I want a Nocturnus shirt.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:35 am 

A guest lecturer I met used to draw cartoons for some big bands passing through San Francisco during tours. He told me he met Metallica and Pantera. Unsurprisingly, he said Anselmo was angry and unlikable, but Dime was pretty sound.
The only musicians I met personally were the Wailers at a hotel I was working in at the time. One of them helped me carry a table from one of the rooms to the reception.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next