Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:15 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I would like to hear more about Immolation if you'd like to share. They are my favourite band, and they do seem like a very respectable bunch of guys. Dolan comes across as very passionate and energetic, while Vigna seems more contemplative but still determined and assertive.

If I may chime in a little when I met them (twice) they were really cool. Dolan loves talking about music and Bob was more quiet but he too is much of the same. Kind of like talking to older co-workers about random shit but the bulk of our conversation(s) was on music. The "idol worship" that hit me on the first encounter whittled away within a couple minutes since they don't come off as that.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:26 pm 

I chatted for a few minutes with Ville and Markus from Moonsorrow, after a show. Very nice, polite guys. Much smaller than you would think (I guess that's a common experience after seeing people perform on stage, though).

I also exchanged a few words with Henri/Trollhorn but he was somewhat less accommodating. :lol: Ach, I guessed he was just a tad stressed or something (this was before the show).

To be honest, my best experience with a musician is getting a hug from Andrew WK. Scratch that: it was my best experience ever. I imagine that's what hugging Gandalf feels like.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:57 pm 

The_Orator wrote:
Glen Benton = Ultimate Douche

The dudes from Immolation are pretty cool though

While I think his personality is a bit on the douche side, he's not awful - I've seen him walk around and talk to fans behind the venue when Deicide toured recently. He was relatively nice and down to earth at the time. Maybe I'm always at the wrong place at the wrong time but I don't typically see this sort of thing as much as I'd like. Most artists I've seen play live like to keep to themselves, and while I respect their decision to do that, it's nice to see artists give fans the opportunity to chat with them.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:31 pm 

I can't remember if I've already posted this story but me and my friends got yelled at by Glen Benton after a Deicide concert... it was downright bizarre, I honestly thought he was just messing around with the guys I was with until they got into a pitched yelling match in the parking lot.. Good times.
Eran from Aborted is pretty cool, talked with him and their other guitarist at the time, Michael (Aborted really shuffles through guitarists) about classic rock bands for like an hour in St.Louis. Charles from Abysmal Dawn was a pretty cool guy too, I got to hang out with him and the rest of the band after a show one time. Shaun from Putrid Pile is by far the coolest metal musician I've ever met though, for a guy who writes songs about gore, mutilation, and violent rape he sure is one friendly dude, he just hung out and watched some gore grind bands at a little 3 day death metal fest with us, just a really nice guy to hang around with.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:55 pm 

Has anyone met Dagon and/or Incubus from Inquisition? I have a half a mind to get VIP tickets for the Metal Alliance tour which gets you a meet and greet with the bands. Inquisition is pretty much my only motivation for doing this, hoping to maybe get some stuff signed...

I'll re-affirm that the guys from Cannibal Corpse and Dark Tranquillity are super nice. Tony from Sonata Arctica was a bit reserved the couple of times I've seen him, but nice enough to hang out after the show and sign stuff/take pictures.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:59 pm 

I met Marco Sneck at a Kalmah gig and went "Marcooooooooooooooo!". All of Kalmah was really cool, actually. Cool that they played less than 2 hours from me :D.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:39 pm 

Well i did meet the divine riff master Mark Shelton once and was just talking about MR and stuff. He was nice and he wanted to brohug me because i travelled for 7 hours just to see MR the day before at the fest.
I dont think i came off as a retarded fanboy, I think.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:23 pm 

I'll second Luc Lemay and the guys from Dark Tranquillity. I met Luc after their last show here in December and while it was only for a minute he was super cool and tried to at least give everyone who was standing around a minute or two. Also met Kevin for Gorguts at the same show, he was running their merch stand so I talked with him a bit (failing to realize who he was at the time) but he was really cool even though he was trying to eat dinner and run the stand.

Dark Tranquillity I paid for the meet and greet on their current tour and all the guys were super nice. They actually had to force Mikael to stop talking to us (not really sure the reason) and go backstage again. I met the guys from Exmortus after this show as well and again all really nice guys who just chatted with people, signed stuff, and took pictures. It's always nice to see musicians who aren't ass holes and full of themselves.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:36 pm 

Alsandair wrote:
Has anyone met Dagon and/or Incubus from Inquisition?

I guess a lot of the people in the Seattle scene know Dagon fairly well. Never met him myself but he's apparently nice, but tends to keep to himself.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:37 pm 

Christopher from Alestorm is a fucking awesome guy. Before the show in Melbourne (last tour) he just walked along the whole line (just under a thousand people) and talked to EVERY person and had photos taken with everyone. Also just liked hanging out after the gig too
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

~Guest 323749
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:50 am 

Alsandair wrote:
Has anyone met Dagon and/or Incubus from Inquisition? I have a half a mind to get VIP tickets for the Metal Alliance tour which gets you a meet and greet with the bands. Inquisition is pretty much my only motivation for doing this, hoping to maybe get some stuff signed...

I talked to Dagon outside of the venue last time I saw them here. He was a really nice guy. Talked to me and the guys I was with about the history of the band and about the deal with Seasons of Mist, as well as the reissuing of their discography.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:45 am 

Can't remember if I have posted this before but:

All the guys in Rotting Christ, Lord Worm, Max from Krisiun, Zac Joe (ex-Cephalic Carnage), The guys in Nile and Psycroptic. All down to earth and friendly to chat with.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:59 am 

Porman wrote:

All the guys in Rotting Christ, Lord Worm, Max from Krisiun, Zac Joe (ex-Cephalic Carnage), The guys in Nile and Psycroptic. All down to earth and friendly to chat with.

Was this the lineup on the first 2 Psycroptic albums or after? I could never get into the newer vocalist
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

faunasabbatha
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:03 am 

I met several musicians. Tommy Victor from Prong and Paul Raven (rip man) were very friendly
Same for Coroner and Obituary guys

Stephen O' Malley is also very very kind

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:20 pm 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
Porman wrote:

Was this the lineup on the first 2 Psycroptic albums or after? I could never get into the newer vocalist

I met them in 2006 and we went to a bar after their gig so it was Jason who was the vocalist.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:16 pm 

I would like to point out, that in spite of his sheer douchiness lately, Geoff Tate was one of the coolest people I've met when they did a signing about ten years ago. Eddie Jackson and Scott Rockenfield both didn't even bother looking up at the fans during the signing, Mike Stone was super happy to be there, Micheal Wilton was nice, but Geoff Tate was just really cool and down to earth. I told him that Queensryche was one of the bands that got me into metal and he smiled and said glad they could help. He then told me wife that her shirt (which was a tie-dye) was awesome and she really stood out among all the black shirts adorned with skulls. He posed for a couple extra pictures and sent us on our way. Finally, Pamela Moore grabbed my ass as our picture was taken.

Such a shame that Tate turned out to be such a douchenozzle.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:40 pm 

Worcester isn't even that bad for the most part. Lawrence, Lynn, Springfield, and Holyoke, on the other hand... yeesh.

Last edited by iamntbatman on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don't reply to spambots, it only encourages them!

Batakanda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:10 pm 

There are a few bands I talked to:

Bloodshot Dawn: Josh McMorran and Benjamin Ellis are both some really cool guys. Had the pleasure to talk with them after their show (as support to Abortion and Vader in Vienna) which only my friend, me and 3 other guys attended at the beginning of their show. It was pretty odd to watch such an amazing band with 4 other guys.

Gama Bomb: Nothing to say here, all of them pretty cool and down-to-earth guys.

Torture Squad: Friendly guys from Brazil, talked with their bassist for half an hour. Seems like a really cool guy. Gave me infos about their new releases, tour dates etc.etc.

Warbringer: John Kevill is, in my opinion, one of the most friendliest guy I've ever met. Saw him playing League of Legends :D before their show and exchanged some words about the game and their music at all.

Fleshgod Apocalypse: They seemed a little bit quite all the time. I don't know if it's due to their italian roots (they are known for not using languages besides italian) or their quietness in general.

Solstafir: Nordic earnestness. This sums it up best. Nevertheless really cool guys, who make just wonderful music!

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:50 pm 

Batakanda wrote:
There are a few bands I talked to:

Bloodshot Dawn: Josh McMorran and Benjamin Ellis are both some really cool guys. Had the pleasure to talk with them after their show (as support to Abortion and Vader in Vienna) which only my friend, me and 3 other guys attended at the beginning of their show. It was pretty odd to watch such an amazing band with 4 other guys.

Gama Bomb: Nothing to say here, all of them pretty cool and down-to-earth guys.

Torture Squad: Friendly guys from Brazil, talked with their bassist for half an hour. Seems like a really cool guy. Gave me infos about their new releases, tour dates etc.etc.

Warbringer: John Kevill is, in my opinion, one of the most friendliest guy I've ever met. Saw him playing League of Legends :D before their show and exchanged some words about the game and their music at all.

Fleshgod Apocalypse: They seemed a little bit quite all the time. I don't know if it's due to their italian roots (they are known for not using languages besides italian) or their quietness in general.

Solstafir: Nordic earnestness. This sums it up best. Nevertheless really cool guys, who make just wonderful music!

With FGA, odds are that most of them don't feel comfortable enough conversing in English for very long. The same was generally true with Hour of Penance when I met them, though James was quite talkative.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:22 am 

I met Sakis from Rotting Christ at a summer camp my girlfriend works. Really cool, friendly and down to earth.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:07 pm 

Alsandair wrote:

Old post I know, but I talked to Dagon for a few minutes at MDF this year (he was in the crowd watching Hooded Menace, Bolzer, Pungent Stench and Asphyx). Super nice guy of course and really humble - I was rocking an Inquisition shirt at the time so I was obviously a fan, yet he still was trying to make sure I realized that they were playing the fest the following day and was giving me information about which stage and what time they would be playing, as if I wasn't already incredibly pumped for their set, hah.

Also I gotta reiterate how fucking cool the guys from Immolation are. They closed out the festival at MDF this year and their between-song banter consisted almost entirely of Ross (who was there all weekend watching bands) giving shout-outs to bands he had been psyched to see, fans and friends who had supported them, the festival organizers for working so hard to put on such an enormous and successful festival, etc. He also told the crowd about how one of the hardcore bands (it was either Kill the Client or Capitalist Casualties, I forget) had their van broken into and all of their gear stolen or something, so Immolation had a donation jar at their merch booth to raise funds to give to those guys. Every time I've talked with him at shows he's been friendly as shit - clearly just a metalhead guy who loves the music and works hard to be in a band and be a fan. Bob Vigna's also very cool, though he seems a lot more quiet/shy so I've only ever gotten a few words out of him.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:11 pm 

iamntbatman on Immo wrote:
Every time I've talked with him at shows he's been friendly as shit - clearly just a metalhead guy who loves the music and works hard to be in a band and be a fan. Bob Vigna's also very cool, though he seems a lot more quiet/shy so I've only ever gotten a few words out of him.

My second time seeing them I mentioned Vader to Ross and he was talking about how their last (at the time, WTTMR) album was the shit and mentioned a bunch of other death metal bands' latest albums he liked. The entire time Bob was on a laptop in the corner of the booth while Ross was the equivalent of a fan at the gig.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:25 pm 

Yeah... I met Shatraug, Horns and Vainaya last night smoking cigarettes at a table outside the venue. They were really cool and signed my Satanic Black Devotion CD. I told them it was an honor to meet them, they shook my hand and talked for a few minutes. Quite an epic night.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:36 pm 

The vocalist of my band met Ross and told him about how we just started and that one of the songs we rehearse is a Sarcofago cover and he really liked that fact.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:50 pm 

I went to go see Thantifaxath in CT a while back. Researching them before the gig, I, of course, read their page on the Archives which states that none of the members are credited on their releases and that they wish to remain anonymous.

The whole misanthropic/mysterious anonymity thing does NOT mesh AT ALL with their stereotypically Canadian politeness. They're all wicked cool dudes. Talked with them for a bit about Canadian black metal (they know a bunch of dudes from the Quebec scene) and also about the awesomeness of Bolzer (whose shirt I was wearing).

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:06 am 

For years people told me that the guys in Moonspell were really arrogant, but when I finally met them I found them very humble. I've spoken to Fernando several times and he's always really nice.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Yeah... I met Shatraug, Horns and Vainaya last night smoking cigarettes at a table outside the venue. They were really cool and signed my Satanic Black Devotion CD. I told them it was an honor to meet them, they shook my hand and talked for a few minutes. Quite an epic night.

I kinda got the feeling those guys weren't much for talking with fans after their show in St.Louis (as Behexen, that is)- granted the turnout was pretty low, but apparently they were turning down people who asked to sign stuff for em, I dunno, I never talked with em so all I have is hearsay as far as whether they were cool or not.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:44 am 

I gotta say, the dudes in Primal Fear are pretty cool. I met them all except for Sinner, and they were all fun to talk to. Alex and Tom Naumann are fun dudes, and they both complimented my band (we opened). Scheepers is pretty cool and has got a cool sense of humor. Randy Black is awfully quiet and polite, but he seemed really glad when my friend gushed over his drumming.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:03 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

I kinda got the feeling those guys weren't much for talking with fans after their show in St.Louis (as Behexen, that is)- granted the turnout was pretty low, but apparently they were turning down people who asked to sign stuff for em, I dunno, I never talked with em so all I have is hearsay as far as whether they were cool or not.
Well I guess I got lucky and said the right things or something. I was a little nervous approaching them at first, but then they were cool and seemed appreciative of what I said. Kinda funny cause I was looking for Hoath who I heard was the most approachable (despite being pure evil on stage) but found everyone else instead :)

vomitoxic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:59 am 

I've met shitload of bandmembers. Mostly they've been really cool. Only couple douchebags but they are worthless so no need to mention.
I still gotta give special mention for Matt Pike.

I was working for a rockvenue in Turku and High On Fire was coming to town.
We were waiting there to load in their gear. After the load in. I was talking with couple friends right outside of the venue then Matt came and asked for a cigarette from my friend. Buddy gave one for him and Matt replies: "I'll pay this back!".
Later on before the gig my buddy went for a smoke and Matt was there. He just bought fresh pack and was like: "I think I owe you one".

One of the most down to earth musician I've met.

Entombed's roadie was fucking hilarious. He is in the back of the van unloading it and smoking weed at the same time. He was really fast and organized and couple times stopped for a moment to take a fresh breath and cough. Then he continued like nothing.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:10 am 

Nice:

Cathedral - Met them in 1996. Warm and friendly
Heaven Shall Burn - Bit quiet maybe because of the language barrier
Opeth - Met Mike, absolute champion guy, chatty and witty.
Phil Anselmo - Friendly, genuine and he is a big man. Not tall but solid and he has huge hands.
Gojira - Very friendly till I mentioned I work in mining haha
Killswitch Engage - All friendly, Joel is a legend
The little guitarist from Unearth - Friendly guy, left the bar with two chicks under his arm
Five Finger Death Punch - Met both guitarists. Chatted to Zoltan about martial arts for an hour
Chuck Billy - Friendly but tired
Gene Hoglan - Friendly but tired
Alex Skolnick - Really nice
Truth Corroded - A bit quiet to start with (they were playing that arvo) then they opened up
Se Bon Kira - Complemented the guitarist on his shirt then he handed me their CD
Mastodon - Nice guys
Kreator - Meet n greet was a bit rushed but friendly still
John Boecklin (Devildriver) - Nice guy
Conrad Higgson (Allegiance (AUS) singer) - Great guy
Hung Out with one of the sound guys from Mushroomhead (I don't listen to them). Great guy

Douches:

Paradise Lost - Just grumpy at the time I think

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:30 am 

Trey Azagthoth - already talked about it in this thread - just an all-around great and very intellectual guy, talked to him for like an hour. It was also cool when he bitched out some asshole for talking shit about Steve Tucker :lol:.

Tim Yeung - I didn't really "meet" him, but I overheard him talking and he came across as being very cocky. Someone tried to get him to sign "Heretic" and he responded with "Oh, you know I'm not on this right??" in a very condescending tone. Then he stormed out of the venue, and when someone asked if David was done signing, he shouted back, "He's not, but I sure as fuck am!". I don't know why he'd be doing a signing anyway...who the fuck wants his signature on a Morbid Angel CD???

Tony Lazaro - He came across as a great guy. He was surprised when I told him that "Forever Underground" was the only Vital album I had heard (at the time).

Scott Wily - Lots of people talk shit about him, but he was very nice to me. I guess you just have to get to know him.

Sammy Duet - I didn't really say much to him, but after Summer Slaughter in 2012, they went to a local metalshow that was going on in the same city. I said "great show tonight!" and he looked at me and started coughing relentlessly before muttering a quiet "thank you" and walking into the venue :lol:.

Everyone from Krisiun - All great guys. One of my favorite bands ever since high school, so meeting them was a dream come true.

Frank Mullen - I met the whole band, but Frank was the only one I really "talked" to. I told him about how he was a big influence on my vocals, and asked him how he did the vocals on "Effigy...", and he said that he cupped the mic, which kind of disappointed me. He came across as a nice enough guy.

Alex Hellid - This doesn't really count, but a funny story nonetheless. I logged on to Facebook one day only to see that randomly, out of the blue, Alex Hellid had messaged me (just to clarify: I'm not facebook friends with him and have never spoken to the guy in my life). Here's what he said: "and it's a different band that just forgot to come up with a name". I guess he was referring to Entombed A.D., but have no idea how he got my profile because I never comment on Blabbermouth or his Entombed facebook. He failed to respond when I messaged him back.

I'm trying to think of any "douchebags" I've met...I can't think of any, but the drummer in my band had a terrible experience with Tim Yeung, and apparently Eric Hoffman pulled a gun on the promoter of the show when Deicide came through (for some reason), then stole all the beer, and then left the city without ever even playing :lol:. That was before I came around, but everyone in my local scene pretty much confirms it.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:40 pm 

Scott Wily is not a nice guy, trust me. I could probably write a book about all the shit he's done.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:21 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
Scott Wily is not a nice guy, trust me. I could probably write a book about all the shit he's done.

Yeah, I've heard he's schizophrenic and has some other serious mental issues. If that's true, hopefully he's getting help. All I can say is that, he was a very nice guy both times I met him.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:21 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:

Yeah, I've heard he's schizophrenic and has some other serious mental issues. If that's true, hopefully he's getting help. All I can say is that, he was a very nice guy both times I met him.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:28 pm 

true_death wrote:
I told him about how he was a big influence on my vocals, and asked him how he did the vocals on "Effigy...", and he said that he cupped the mic, which kind of disappointed me.

Were you expecting him to cup your balls or...? I don't even understand how this is disappointing. :???:

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:56 pm 

true_death wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:

He's an unmedicated schizophrenic who is currently in prison for repeated and flagrant violation of a protective order. Ask someone from Massachusetts about "King Thunderstool" if you want an exasperated "oh CHRIST" followed by a long story.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:48 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
true_death wrote:
I told him about how he was a big influence on my vocals, and asked him how he did the vocals on "Effigy...", and he said that he cupped the mic, which kind of disappointed me.

Were you expecting him to cup your balls or...? I don't even understand how this is disappointing. :???:

Do you not know what "cupping" is? If not, it's a vocal technique that involves the vocalist cupping his hands around the mic to achieve a more garbled ("brutal") sound. A lot of us vocalists look down on it, partially because it's easier to do and requires less talent than traditional growling (like the vocal equivalent of incessant drum triggering or, for some people, playing bass with a pick), and also because it simply doesn't sound very good. Obviously, Frank has nothing to prove to a nobody like me, and I don't lose respect for him because of something so trivial (he doesn't even do it anymore)...it's just "Effigy" was very influential to me at an early stage, so learning he did vocals like that at that time was a bit of a disappointment.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:10 pm 

I wouldn't really call pickstyle bass cheating. Sure, there are lots of boring bassists who add nothing to a band's sound who play pickstyle, but discounting the likes of Lemmy, Dave Ellefson, Frank Chin, Ivan Munguia, Sean Beasley, and countless other excellent bassists who just happen to be pickstylists is goddamn stupid.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:37 pm 

true_death wrote:
Do you not know what "cupping" is? If not, it's a vocal technique that involves the vocalist cupping his hands around the mic to achieve a more garbled ("brutal") sound. A lot of us vocalists look down on it, partially because it's easier to do and requires less talent than traditional growling (like the vocal equivalent of incessant drum triggering or, for some people, playing bass with a pick), and also because it simply doesn't sound very good. Obviously, Frank has nothing to prove to a nobody like me, and I don't lose respect for him because of something so trivial (he doesn't even do it anymore)...it's just "Effigy" was very influential to me at an early stage, so learning he did vocals like that at that time was a bit of a disappointment.

I was only joking with that comment about 15%. I had a sort-of idea what cupping was and decided to weave it into a testicle-cupping joke, because testicle-cupping jokes. I did NOT, however, know why you were disappointed, because I'm pretty much in the dark about death metal vocalization know-hows.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next