Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:41 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
I wouldn't really call pickstyle bass cheating. Sure, there are lots of boring bassists who add nothing to a band's sound who play pickstyle, but discounting the likes of Lemmy, Dave Ellefson, Frank Chin, Ivan Munguia, Sean Beasley, and countless other excellent bassists who just happen to be pickstylists is goddamn stupid.

I know, I was just saying how some bass elitists view bassists who play with a pick to be "guitarists who got stuck playing bass", because it's kind of a similar argument to how people like me feel about vocalists who cup.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:46 pm 

Eh, I couldn't care less if Frank cupped his mic for the vocals on Effigy. Hell, I wouldn't care even if he cleverly mixed in sounds of his garbage disposal here and there, Effigy's got one of my all-time favorite death metal vocal performances and definitely my favorite Suffocation vocal performances, if only because he never sounded like that on any other album they've done since.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:56 pm 

I saw Pat Obrein at Mayhem. I totally didnt recognize him though. In most of the videos or pictures ive seen of him, his hair is hanign in front of his face like curtains. Plus those videos are like 10 years old now. He looked like just a regular guy in a hurry (probably going to the bathroom or something) but my friend stopped him and shook his hand. He got a quick picture with him and he was off. I asked who that was and my friend was like "That was Pat man!" so jealous i didnt get to shake his hand and get in that photo

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:45 pm 

Ive met Paul Speckmann from Master back in May, he was really nice and chill dude..

I got to meet the drummer and lead singer of Erihma at Mayhem and they were super friendly, along with the guys in Ill Nino and members of Body Count (Vincent Price, Sean E Sean, Ill Will), all really cool. All 3 bands saw me wearing my Bathory T shirt and they all complimented me on it, they were all down to earth.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:39 am 

Not particularly all that metal but Jesse Hughes from Eagles of Death metal is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Met him when they played with Uncle Acid in New Zealand. I was in town alone to see the show and just waited outside the venue cause i had nowhere else to go. He saw me outside and brought me in for soundcheck, free drinks, snacks and smoke. we hung out for about 2 hours. He also introduced me to the Uncle Acid guys, who were pretty nice but generally quite quiet.

Ois666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:55 pm 

Away from Voivod, an absolutely wonderful guy who went around before the gig to speak with everyone in the venue to make sure they had a great time. Also the guys from the Italian band Novembre was a very friendly bunch to have a few beers with. Danny Cavanagh from Anathema was a really friendly and chatty guy as well (guess I caught him on a good day).

Ois666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:04 pm 

Oh, I forgot Trevor Dunn of Mr. Bungle fame (not exactly metal, I know). While the other members in that band more or less feared their own audience he talked to people before and after the show and always with a smile on his face.

Pidgeon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:51 pm 

I've met the guys from Goatwhore a couple times. Ben (vocals) is the nicest guy you could hope to meet. Sammy is real cool. I've met Nergal, cool guy, didn't talk much. Vocalist from Aborted is cool. Met the guys from Kataklysm, super cool. Don't think I've met any dueche bags yet.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:44 am 

Ran into Andreas Kisser before a concert, just said his name and he nodded and smiled. It was the first gig in my life and i'm somewhat of a shy guy. Also ran into Eloy Casagrande, he gave me a really angry face when I recognized him, still it was really cool.

Biggest surprise was the stature of these guys, it was pretty funny, they're tiny. But Green is huge, looked like he could throw cars at us, helps his stage presence though, guy is absolutely terrifying when he screams at his hardest.

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:22 pm 

I met Max Cavalera in 2010 and he was a fuckhead. So was Gloria, his wife! I met Trevor Peres from Obituary in 09 and he was a bit of a dick. I've met Jeremy Wagner, Shaun Glass and Brian Griffin of Broken Hope and all of them were killer guys. Griffin was busy when I met him but he still signed some stuff for me. Jeremy and Shaun were killer guys, I hung out with them and Leski at last year's MDF. Chugged down a heap of beers with them and got some stuff signed by them, all cool guys. I met Glen Benton in 06 and he was really arrogant but still had a cool vibe. I ran into Mick from Slipknot once in an elevator in 03 or 04 and he was a fuckhead, he blurted out to my friend(wearing an Obituary shirt) "Obituary, huh? They fuckin' suck.." - Mick the Dick. And I met Erik Rutan in 05, totally awesome guy!

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:55 pm 

RepulsiveVenom wrote:
I met Max Cavalera in 2010 and he was a fuckhead. So was Gloria, his wife! I met Trevor Peres from Obituary in 09 and he was a bit of a dick. I've met Jeremy Wagner, Shaun Glass and Brian Griffin of Broken Hope and all of them were killer guys. Griffin was busy when I met him but he still signed some stuff for me. Jeremy and Shaun were killer guys, I hung out with them and Leski at last year's MDF. Chugged down a heap of beers with them and got some stuff signed by them, all cool guys. I met Glen Benton in 06 and he was really arrogant but still had a cool vibe. I ran into Mick from Slipknot once in an elevator in 03 or 04 and he was a fuckhead, he blurted out to my friend(wearing an Obituary shirt) "Obituary, huh? They fuckin' suck.." - Mick the Dick. And I met Erik Rutan in 05, totally awesome guy!

Odds are that Mick was joking, considering how he's probably the most death metal-influenced member in the band as of now.

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:03 am 

I met Bill Robinson after a show at Summer Slaughter this year and bought a Decrepit Birth shirt from him. He was very clearly high, but he was still a cool dude and thanked me when I said the show was great.

skalberg242
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:23 pm 

Not 100% metal but related in one way or another and all these persons except the Clawfinger guys should be found here on MA.

Don Anderson (Agalloch) - Met him after a gig in Oslo, very friendly. He started talking to me by commenting on my Current 93 shirt. Then he spoke to me and my brother for about 10 minutes. Cool guy.

Peter Dolving (The Haunted, ex-Mary Beats Jane) - A bit stand off-ish at first, but it seems to be the way he is. He laughed and signed my "No Ma'am"-t-shirt when he saw it. Fun.

Marco Aro (Face Down, Ex-The Haunted) - Maybe not the friendliest guy I've met, but no asshole. Said thanks when I complimented on their gig, and signed a cd for me.

Henrik Nordvargr Björkk (MZ.412, Toroidh, Folkstorm, Pouppée Fabrikk and about thousand other projects) - Pretty stand off-ish as suspected but at least he talked to me and smiled when I mentioned some of his more obscure projects. The man looks fucking monstrous, so I'm surprised I even dared to speak to him.

Henry Möller (Puissance, Arditi) - Neither friendly nor hostile, just quiet and anti-social. I thanked him for releasing awesome music over the years and then left him alone.

Jocke Skog and Zak Tell (Clawfinger) - Great guys. Especially Jocke, constantly smiling and joking when I met them, almost behaving like an old friend.

Charles Rytkönen (Morgana Lefay) - Drunk as hell when I met him but very friendly. Totally hilarious and all over the place.

Tom S. Englund (Evergrey) - Me and my brother was having a snack at the same pizza place as him. He seamed pissed that he had to pay with cash instead of card and then sat in a corner looking tired. We made the decision NOT to try to talk to him.

Those are the relatively known names that come to mind. The only real assholes I've met are from industrial/electronic bands.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:51 am 

Few from Summer Slaughter:

Alex Hofmann, Scott Carstairs (Fallujah): Very, very friendly and personable. Alex gave me the vibe of a music nerd living out his wildest dreams, while Scott was just very cool in general and was more than happy to talk about how awesome Christian Muenzner (his guitar teacher) was.
Paul Ryan (Origin): Again, very friendly and more than happy to share lots of past anecdotes about touring and the shows he attended as a youth. Told me about how Origin's first time playing in Montreal resulted in his spotting a homeless dude who turned out to be Sylvain Houde, along with various other cool tales.
Michael Keene (The Faceless): Y'know, I've heard lots of tales of the guy being an insufferable stuck-up twat, but he was honestly very nice to me. We mostly just talked about Tony MacAlpine and Jason Becker, but he seemed cool overall. That could just be his nice face, but who knows.
John Gallagher (Dying Fetus): I've known him for a bit, but this was my first time talking to him for a significant length of time. Very friendly and laid-back, but also seemed to be baked off his ass; while he normally does speak in a slow, deliberate manner, this was on a whole new level. Still really nice, though.

~Guest 294409
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:12 pm 

I've only met a few bands/members and none of them have been douchebags.

Battlecross: Really friendly dudes. It seems like they enjoy hanging out and talking with fans.

Visceral Disgorge: I met Travis and their guitar player Eric. They seemed cool but they didn't say to much.

Devourment: I only met Ruben and Chris. Ruben didn't say much but he complemented me on my Disgorge shirt, and Chris was pretty funny and talkative.

Gorgy: They were very nice and funny and they completely blew away my expectations despite having some minor sound issues.

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:30 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
RepulsiveVenom wrote:

Odds are that Mick was joking, considering how he's probably the most death metal-influenced member in the band as of now.

It didn't sound like a joke.. More like a jab at my mate. I could smell his and that clown guy's ego's immensely in that elevator.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:35 am 

skalberg242 wrote:
Peter Dolving (The Haunted, ex-Mary Beats Jane)

Marco Aro (Face Down, Ex-The Haunted)

Marco Aro is back as the vocalist these days.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:14 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
Scott Wily is not a nice guy, trust me. I could probably write a book about all the shit he's done.

Being around that guy on tour was one of the most hilarious/sad things in the world. I just remembered he was on the tour, then he magically wasn't anymore. I can't say I was surprised though.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:47 am 

I met Dagon from Inquisition briefly and I thought him lovely and very grounded.

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:16 pm 

Back Stabbath wrote:
I met Dagon from Inquisition briefly and I thought him lovely and very grounded.

I met him too a couple of years back. Totally down-to-earth guy. He took some time to have a talk with us about how he played and appreciated the feedback we gave him.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:22 pm 

The 1 image of Dagon that I'll always remember was him on stage during a song and then running off stage and back into the rooms with guitar in hand like Abbath during the solo of the "Blashyrk" music video. :lol: we were all going "what's he running off for?!" He was gone for the rest of the song and then came back. No clue what that was about.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

LeonardoS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:45 pm 

I once met the guys from Lamb Of God, and they were really nice to everybody in the place.
And Edu Falaschi (ex-Angra, Venus, Symbols, Mytrium and current Almah vocalist) is a very nice guy as well.
I think that would be all for me...

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:54 am 

Met Obituary, minus the Tardy's and were very friendly(might have helped that I told them Ive been a fan for 20 years and it's my third concert ever, the others being King Diamond and Amon Amarth). Also met Matt Harvey of Exhumed, friendly too. Got a photo with all of them.

Unholier Master
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:10 pm 

All the dudes in Dead Congregation are nice, albeit quiet and reserved. All did their due diligence at the merch booth and talking to fans. Anastasis is polite and probably the most talkative. Dude really loves Slayer, Vektor, and Dokken/George Lynch (said George Lynch is his favorite guitarist and one of his biggest influences). Vagelis is a very intense drummer--definitely a professional. He's also pretty quiet. He's particular about getting his kit set up right, and for good reason. Dude is an animal.

I saw them on their recent tour with Mausoleum and Pissgrave. Great tour. Pissgrave are so fucking loud and dirty. The vocalist/guitarist uses a pitch shifter and makes the craziest faces ever while singing. Was bummed they had already sold out of their demo by the third stop on the tour. I think they are on their way up. I can see that tour being their rise out of the underground. Hoping for a proper full length or something on CD.

cornbread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:55 pm 

Martin van Drunen - Stand up fellow, really in it for the music and fans. Will chat with you about metal or anything really. Frequently walks around MDF and is happy to take photos with fans and chat.
Glenn Benton - Was friendly both times I met him, put up with numerous failed photo attempts... may come across as arrogant but that's his thing.
Tobias of Torture Division/current drummer for God Macabre. Was wearing a Torture Division shirt at MDF and ran into him at the bar. Hehe.
Matt Knox of Horrendous - Cool dude. Bought him a beer and talked the local scene at a show in Baltimore.
Dani Evans of Alestorm - Friendly, chilled with after a few shows around NoVA/DC/Baltimore a few years back.
Niilo Sevänen from Insomnium - Very quiet and stand-offish. Didn't seem too interested in talking but wasn't a jerk either.
James Malone of Arsis - Very friendly and happy to chat. Met him in the crowd at a Deicide show in NoVA.
Namtar of Carach Angren - Funny dude, loved my friend's bald head.
Ross Dolan & Rob Vigna - Always a pleasure to talk to, very down to earth and friendly dudes. Steve the drummer is cool too, trekked with around Baltimore a bit before their second show this last MDF.
Blaze Bayley - All about his fans. Great guy. Had a Guinness with at the bar a few years back after his show in NoVA.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:00 pm 

Melechesh:
Ashemedi - First time I met him on the Rotting Christ and he was really cool, a bit quiet, but nice guy. Second go around with him on the Septicflesh tour and he was TRASHED :lol: . I've exchanged a few messages with him and he was pretty cool, really into his music.
Moloch - Met him at the Rotting Christ show, he came up to me, without me even recognizing him at first, and thanked my friends and I for being up front and headbanging and having a great time. He was a really great person.
Xul - Very quiet guy, didn't do much conversing, but he seemed decent!
Touring guitarist on the Septiclesh tour (forgot his name) - REALLY great guy. We chatted a bit and he was just an every day normal guy. Was really stoked to be on the tour and was having a great time!

Hvall (Vreid/Windir) - Probably one of the most normal guys I have ever met. Chatted with him for quite a while. He loves Seattle because it makes him feel at home with our shitty weather :D

Tom Hunting (Exodus) - Just a fucking cool chill guy. My band opened for them and he used my drumset and was really apologetic for destroying my drum heads :lol: . Gave me a free shirt!

The bald dude that tours with Moonsorrow - I've ran into him a few times and everytime he has just been very swell, grounded, and cool to chat with!

Proscriptor & Ezezu (Absu) - Both were very quiet, especially Ezezu, but very nice and normal.

Infection & ??? (Horna) - I have quite the funny story with these guys that I will try to compress. Was at a bar in Baltimore for MDF a couple years back, saw Infection and a bald dude (I KNOW he was in Horna... almost 100% sure of it, but maybe Sargiest? I was trashed) and chatted a bit. We went our own ways, then when we got back to our hotel we saw them standing outside, friends and I invited them up for a drink, and we sat around for a while listening to metulz and shooting the shit about whatever. I randomly yelled "PANTURRRUHHHH!!" and Infection looked at me and said "You do not disrespect Pantera...."

Corporate Death (Macabre) - Had a very brief run in with him. Was just up in the bar of the venue they were playing, he came over to my group of friends and I for pictures, and just shook all of our hands and tahnked us for coming, even if we didn't put our hands out first.

Karl Sanders (Nile) - This dude gets so much shit for being an asshole, but when my band opened for them he was super rad! I personally didn't have any interaction, but my guitarist did and they were just talking about guitars, and my guitarist asked if he will be using a certain one for the show, he said "Nooo, btu its on the bus! Let me go grab it and show you!"

I know there are a lot more, but those are the ones that stand out right now :D

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:59 pm 

Pretty much anyone from a Swedish 90s death metal band is bound to be nice as hell.

Entombed, Dismember, Grave, At The Gates, Dark Tranquillity, Amon Amarth, you name it. All some of the most laidback and easygoing people you will ever meet.

vomitoxic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:39 pm 

JohnTheDrummer wrote:
The bald dude that tours with Moonsorrow - I've ran into him a few times and everytime he has just been very swell, grounded, and cool to chat with!

Infection & ??? (Horna) - I have quite the funny story with these guys that I will try to compress. Was at a bar in Baltimore for MDF a couple years back, saw Infection and a bald dude (I KNOW he was in Horna... almost 100% sure of it, but maybe Sargiest? I was trashed) and chatted a bit. We went our own ways, then when we got back to our hotel we saw them standing outside, friends and I invited them up for a drink, and we sat around for a while listening to metulz and shooting the shit about whatever. I randomly yelled "PANTURRRUHHHH!!" and Infection looked at me and said "You do not disrespect Pantera...."

That "bald dude" Janne is one of the coolest guys I know and have a honor to work with. Basicly everyone in Moonsorrow are awesome people in real life. Really down to earth.

Hahaha! I so can image Infection's face and his voice saying that!

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:22 pm 

Runko wrote:
Pretty much anyone from a Swedish 90s death metal band is bound to be nice as hell.

Saw Entombed perform today. Those are some of the nicest metal musicians I've met. LG Petrov is really enthusiastic and you can notice he's really honored if you're an enthusiastic fan yourself and want some signatures. I got backstage for a signature and they just treat you like one of them.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:24 pm 

I second the guys from Immolation as laid back, cool dudes. Especially Robert whom a friend and I have jumped when he was sipping bear and doing stuff with his laptop. A bit to himself, and we weren't really obnoxious, but really friendly predisposed. Ross on the other hand just oozes enthusiasm, in particular about music.

Yossi, whom I'll miss forever, from Orphaned Land was super cool during two occassions. Once when I blew all my cash reserves and went to Tel Aviv to see 'em live (yeah, I adore the band) back in 2007. It was a funny situation as there I was a stranger in a strange land, all by myself, but I chatted with some other guy who turned out to be the son of a person Yossi's father was dating back then :-D He was laid back and really talkative, and seemed to really appreciate, and wonder at the fact I went there to see them. The other guys from the band also left a positive impression, especially Shlomit Levi and Uri who also worked in a metal shop back then where I asked for that obscure band I hadn't heard about before, Orphaned Land, and their show.

The clowns from Korpiklaani are way funnier and more entertaining as people then as musicians.

And boys from Vital Remains were also cool back in 2004, especially Tony.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:30 pm 

I saw Weedeater, Full of Hell, and Lazer/Wulf a few days ago. Didn't talk much to Full of Hell, but the Lazer/Wulf dudes are all cool guys; I found out that their guitarist is also in Bit Brigade and may be at MAGfest this year depending on L/W's tour schedule. Weedeater dudes are pretty cool as well.

On a side note, if any of you guys get a chance to see Rozamov or Faces of Bayon (the two local support acts), do it. Awesome bands, some of the nicest people I know.

napacione
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:37 pm 

The one that surprised me is Cradle of Filth -- everyone thought they were unapproachable; well the only who was unapproachable was "Plain Jane" Ferridge. DLD is an English Gentlemen who does this style to keep food on the table and gives my personal friend some steady employment. Otep oh I would love to make fun of her in person because what she said at the expense of Dawn Crosby of Fear of God's memory. Where she got "Plain Jane" Ferridge is her sniping at me but I will not let her be a stumbling block. The Vengeance Rising guys -- one became one of my readers and got connected to Richard Matheson's oldest.

The guys of Tourniquet are very cool as they had a hand in discovering me and they connected with my friends Ray R. Wise, and members of Trouble over the years are friends of my extended family as they know about my cousin. Slauter Xstroyas and Voivod encouraged me as a writer in unique periods. Remembering what E-Force and Project: Falling Flesh suggested I test out Flying Cigars out on Voivodfans.com before selling the story was very cool. Meliah Rage had me taken back by a handwritten note on my 30th birthday, "Hey Nick Good Luck With The Horror." Metal Church did a like on a post I did on my sister's favorite band's page as I pulled out a 2014 rendition of a classic track Watch The Children Pray. I was going "HOLY SHIT THAT IS COOL!"

KlaNk well is cool in person but we're worlds apart because I am well read and he's more interest in smoking pot. I didn't want to get caught up in that -- he didn't understand the literary side of heavy metal but I can talk literature with Ted Kirkpatrick. I think that's even more surprising where I caught classic horror reference. Empyrean Sky is the most sincere of the heavy metal bands I know.

Scott Davidson is a family friend too as he knows my mother and cousin -- Bloodline Severed help me round out a birthday present I gathered for him of a Horror and Metal package featuring a magazine I was published in, a magazine I published, and an anthology I was featured in. Bloodline Severed tossed in their 2008 version of their first album. Ron Holzner knows my cousins best friends as members of Tourniquet are friends with my breakout. I was trying to figure out how to get them all into Chicago and as a five piece because they need to do a five piece to even attempt the new album tracks live.

The lead singer of Ezurate and some of the members of Ezurate were polite with me when I was keeping a promise to Neutral Red. They were realizing I was throwing up in the bathroom at the show before every went on. I had butterflies in my stomach because it was my first time hosting a show -- so to help me relax I did a dark humored Chris Rock styled bit where I had taken jibes at the crowd saying, "It is a little dead in here; you call yourself fucking metalheads -- make some fucking noise because for one night only. I am from Iowa."
Am I Making This Up?; article weighing in on a cyber-vangelist featuring a Reverbnation Playlist from a band I did a show with. Grigori 3. Tabloid Journalist; more like a Weird Historian/Publisher. This along with A Publisher's Confessional *play nice*

Last edited by napacione on Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:16 pm 

Aside from doing interviews the only big name guy I've met is Paul Masvidal. Awesome guy who liked my Mercyful Fate shirt, he seemed to really appreciate how well I knew his work too. Cynic put on a great show even though the audience was ridiculously small (like 30 people).

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:04 am 

Met most of the fellows in Gigan, Pyrrhon and Artifical Brain when they toured recently.

Eric Hersemann, Gigan's guitarist/songwriter seemed a great guy. Very humble and super happy just being able to play his music to fans. He was hugely thankful and appreciative of my buying some of his merch; threw in a free sticker for me and kept shaking my hand, haha.

Had a great chat with Pyrrhon's bassist Eric Malave over the state of death metal, and his influences and stuff. Thought he was cool at first... thought he was less cool after the gig after hearing from my girlfriend that he kept following her outside and staring at her while I was inside watching Gigan.

The guys in Artificial Brain were solid too. Their vocalist especially was super humble and appreciative at the merch table like Gigan's Eric, despite having an intimidating stage presence.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:10 am 

I can guarantee that Erik Malave won't be having a very good day when Doug catches him doing that shit, as Doug does NOT take kindly to that sort of behavior. Shame, too; dude's a fantastic bassist and seemed like a cool dude when I met him as well, but it is quite disappointing to hear that he's apparently a creeper.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:20 am 

Nothing against guys chasing some tail, but she was very uncomfortable about it because we were clearly a couple when we were first talking to him, so it wasn't like he couldn't have known she wasn't available. Yeah, it was odd.

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:54 am 

Lord Worm was very intelligent and easy to talk to. Don Anderson from Agalloch was friendly. Same with one of the guys (I forget who) from Infernal Majesty. Terrance Hobbs was cool but obviously really high. Isahn seemed really tired but still making the effort to chat and snap a few pics with fans. As much as I hate to admit it, Anders Frieden was an alright guy. Johan Hegge from Amon Amarth was pleasant and down to earth. Scott Columbus from Manowar was probably the friendliest metal musician I'd ever met though, a real gentle giant.

Randy Blythe and Glen Benton came off as assholes, especially Blythe.

yogsothoth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:47 pm 

I've met several musicians, but one that really stands out for me is Jim Shepherd (ex-Nevermore). Back in 2003, I saw them open for Dimmu Borgir. After the show, I caught him exiting his tour bus right when all the bands were getting ready to hit the road. I asked him for an autograph and he said yes. I didn't have a pen on me so I was asking my friend if he had something. Meanwhile, the driver or whatever was hassling Jim because they were wanting to leave. Jim said "Hang on a sec, I gotta sign this guy's ticket." The driver said they were leaving that second, so Jim said, "Leave without me, I'll ride with Dimmu." So Nevermore took off, Jim signed my ticket, shook my hand and hopped on the Dimmu Borgir bus.

I also briefly met the guys in Vehemence back in 2004. I saw them open for Mortician. Afterwards, they just came out to the crowd and were watching the next band; I turned to my right and they were all right next to me, and we wound up talking for a bit. Really nice guys.

I also met Will Rahmer at that show. I shook his hand, told him they sounded great. Will just stood there and stared at me, non smiling, didn't say a word. Not necessarily an asshole, just really seemed like he didn't want to talk to me.

~Guest 330442
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:47 pm 

My friend and I ran into Phillip Cope from Kylesa chilling outside after a show. He thanked us when we said it was a great show, but honestly I think he was too high to tell we were there ;)

At that same show, we got to talk to the guys from Lazer/Wulf for a while. Really cool guys, great sense of humor.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:39 am 

Matt Howden from Sieben is the most kind, friendly and down to earth musician I've ever met. He would chat and shake hands with every one that congratulated him after the show in a sincerely thankful (not just typically polite) way and express his thanks for attending the show.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next